$16 SA BB3... Fair or Foul?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Grendle, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattisloco

mattisloco Disciple (314) Feb 13, 2007 Texas

Damn...

This issue really irritates me and I've stayed as quiet as I could. Extremely high pricing does nothing positive for craft beer. Taking a $4 to $5 dollar product and doubling it is ok with me... tacking on even $2 or $3 more I can forgive. But quadrupling a product's price is wrong, greedy and excessive.

2. jl28r1

jl28r1 Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2011 Texas

Agree. I also tried to stay quiet but got pissed the more I read.

Just keep in mind that dancingbearpub speaks from an honest pub owner's point of view. He sounds like a totally stand up guy that I would be proud to buy a beer from. Is he too easy on TFS? Possibly... but at least he is willing and open to talk to us instead of giving us the run around.

cfh64 and Grendle like this.
  3. mattisloco

Completely agree and I will continue to stop every time I possibly can, when around or driving through Waco, at the Dancing Bear. Pricing has never been an issue there. Attitude/#beingfriendly has never been a problem there.

jl28r1 likes this.
  4. jl28r1

See how easy that was?

Support the places that are honest and fair and avoid the places that are not. TFS will certainly survive without me but I will take their advice and find a locally owned place in my area and support it.

Grendle likes this.
  5. mattisloco

And I disagree. They still need to be exploited for exploiting craft beer. They're still keeping BMC drinkers drinking BMC by the exorbitant pricing of craft. They are not raising funds to cure cancer/aids/monkey pox so they're in the wrong. The one place that is raising funds to help save bats finds a way to support craft.

#DrinkingFriendly sure does #MakeMeAngry

6. jl28r1

Can't argue with your passion. I will just stay away from there.

7. bccocx

bccocx Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2007 Texas

Come on guys, #BeFriendly.

wsnich and ExperimentalAles like this.
  8. UT-Alex

UT-Alex Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2012 Texas

Scalpers for concert tickets are in my top 5 list of worst types of people in the world. This is no different. No matter what you do you can't completely rid people who overcharge, you just have to learn to avoid them and hope they take a loss for trying to make such a huge profit. I don't support that kind of gouging in any market. But I guess if you're desperate or that naive to willingly pay that amount then go for it.

Grendle, TTUJohn and ExperimentalAles like this.
  9. mrkmrk

mrkmrk Initiate (149) Jun 25, 2011 Texas

I will undersell them. Anybody who wants a BB3, I have one for the low, low price of only $15. Now that's friendly.

I am expecting soooooooo many BMs

air likes this.
  10. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas

Yeah, but driving them to San Antonio might eat into your profit :wink:

Grendle likes this.
  11. Grendle

Grendle Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Texas

Excuse me Sir but are you a representive of Freetail? That baldie from the movie Warriors? I ask bc I'm ready for Sour Fest and BeerMonkey is abroad. If not I got a SA BB3 for your generous BA soul. BM me...

12. Grendle

A
    And it won't cost you $8 or asinine dollars, nor $10 or etc but bc you're bald and a friendly BA it's gratis. Charge
    It to the generous BA game. Cheers!!!!!

13. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas

LOL. He's not Scott.

14. jl28r1

What a friendly guy you are!

cfh64 likes this.
  15. mattisloco

Friendly, the new smartassery term of endearment in the southwest forum.

jaymesbawned, air, JJFoodie and 3 others like this.
  16. miikezombie

miikezombie Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2010 Texas

I'm certain he knows that. Back in the day everyone thought John worked for Freetail.

17. miikezombie

It's the snarkiest of snarky terms. I'm jealous. I wish I came up with it.

mattisloco likes this.
  18. jl28r1

I might as well, I'm there often enough.

Grendle likes this.
  19. cfh64

cfh64 Champion (811) Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Society Trader

He doesn't?

20. miikezombie

I don't think Scott could put up with jl28r1 for more than he already has to. I know I couldn't.

cfh64 likes this.
  21. jl28r1

Certainly can't argue with that.

22. Grendle

Wait! jl28r1 isn't Scott? I then retract that gift of SA BB3. Lol, JK...

23. aschwab

aschwab Zealot (501) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

#befriendly friends

cfh64 and mattisloco like this.
  24. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2011 Texas

I am curious, is this one expensive bottle, or is this a norm markup for these crazy friends of ours.

25. mrkmrk

mrkmrk Initiate (149) Jun 25, 2011 Texas

Earlier posters mentioned KBS was about that price, and possibly other beers as well.

26. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2011 Texas

Makes it sound like only an occasional issue.

27. 13DegN

13DegN Initiate (101) Mar 25, 2012 Texas
    Trader

"$16 SA BB3... Fair or Foul?"

FOUL! . (read all the conversation. One word easy answer to OP)

28. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2012 Texas

Just chiming in. Every place in Fort Worth that I have seen any BB has had it from 12-15. Take for example where I manage, the FW Saucer. We have to account for the sheer cost of opening the doors to do business (12 waitresses, 10 kitchen staff, managers, electricity, rent, etc.) before we even price out a beer. Do I wish that we could offer our limited beers cheaper, yes. Do we have to account for the vast number of people that come in daily for our fire sale beer that has much smaller margins, yes.

Tons of factors go into every business and I think the experience places like the Saucer, Brewed, and Zios can bring to the non BA craft beer drinker makes the pricing more than fair. Will I personally seek out any BB to stash at that price, no. Will I gladly drop it on a single beer some night to split with a friend, always. I'm happy to know that the price keeps some bars in stock for more than a GD day.

Above is just my personal feeling not as a representative of the bar

Pitchforks down people

29. jl28r1

Shut up Seth.

30. cfh64

Society Trader

Be friendly Noah.

31. jl28r1

Oops.

32. mattisloco

Do you advertise your prices? Do you all send responses to people on twitter mocking them with #befriendly, #drinkfriendly and #thinkfriendly?

Flying Saucer has class and does an excellent job introducing people to craft beer and maintaining a level that brings people back once they're "into" craft beer. Don't compare Apples to #friendly.

air, bccocx, Grendle and 2 others like this.
  33. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2012 Texas

Fair enough. I hope that I just added perspective to the conversation. I obviously have an ability to see what we pay and what retailers like Spec's charges and what some people have purchased BB (and other similar rare beers) and there is no way most bars can compete with the razor margins that exist on bottle sales.

I would also like to point out that 2-3x cost is often less than what bars make on draft selections. I have no problems paying $7 for a pint of something good when I sure as heck know they are only paying ~$1-1.50 a pour.

I personally like to sell the experience of a beer like BB. Talk about it during the prior beer, pull it out of the cooler to let it warm up, pair with food (act like I'm Brock for lack of a better description). If you help create a memory and a good evening with beer I've found people are completely willing to pay a premium and look forward to returning. I would also never condescend a customer...well maybe you Matt! :wink:

air and Grendle like this.
  34. jl28r1

How bout someone who can't seem to remember your name?
    :-)

If TFS would have come out and said what you just did, all this crap would be done with. It is the condescending attitude that got under people's skin.

Be friendly,

John.

mattisloco likes this.
  35. mattisloco

Exactly... Think Friendly!

36. miikezombie

And this is why Bishop's Barrel shouldn't be distributed to restaurants and bars only.

37. aschwab

I am still slightly confused about what overhead TFS has compared to the FS. Does not seem like they would have nearly as much.

And yet, I have never had an issue with the FS in the 5 years I have been going there. I either know the price for the beer due to the menu or they let me know immediately if I order an expensive beer just to verify that I do indeed want to pay 16 bucks for a beer.

38. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Disciple (306) Feb 3, 2009 Texas

I was a participant in the twitter conversation with several others. My general sentiment lies somewhere in the middle of both extreme camps. On one hand, the true economist in me thinks that any business should be allowed to charge any price they want for any product they choose to sell, barring commodities. If people are willing to pay these prices, then let them pay those prices. The market dictates price. It always has and always will.

That being said, I was not aware that The Friendly Spot was not disclosing the pricing of the bottles prior to selling them. That seems to be the general impression I'm getting from this thread though, which is completely unacceptable. I can't think of any other 12oz bottle that is sold anywhere in the US for $16, unless it's some very rare vintage bottle. In some cases I've seen higher pricing for 12oz bottles, but we're talking about bottles that are 10+ years old. The supply of those is FAR less than what a brand new BB3 is. In every case though, these prices are ALWAYS advertised.

TFS's response to this whole situation is ridiculous. The canned responses, the lack of addressing the issues by the owner in a public forum, using the word "Friendly" in all of their responses, when clearly the responses have been anything but friendly.

All of this being said, I personally will still visit TFS to make my own judgment of the place, and will vote with my wallet as well. I won't spend $16 for any 12oz bottle of beer that's new to market and readily available elsewhere for $6-10. I'm no beer apologist, but I do believe in a free market though. Informing the consumer with transparent pricing polices is imperative though.

frognot, Show, pwsoldier and 2 others like this.
  39. aschwab

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about the prices of their pints of craft beer? For your average IPA/porter/etc from a local-ish brewery, what have you been paying?

40. cfh64

Society Trader

For the record I agree with your post and I think $16 for any 12 oz beer is pretty ridiculous. Not trying to split hairs but just an FYI, Red Poppy and Older Viscosity are sold on shelves for $16-17 and I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now. I'd hate to see what they charge in bars for those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.