$16 SA BB3... Fair or Foul?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Grendle, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aschwab

aschwab Zealot (501) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

I just called in to verify that, it is actually $36 not 42.

But yes, still double.

2. bccocx

bccocx Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2007 Texas

From Jody:

For those of you that personally attacked her... WTF?

mrkmrk likes this.
  3. aschwab

Wow....I sent a constructive email to her and got a generic response.

And, I am going to say that she posted her email on her twitter. She probably lumped all the emails into beer advocate and said they were from us.

Just my thoughts.

Beernerds and air like this.
  4. aschwab

And I will say that she is using that as a reason not to actually give any answers. Because...she has yet to give us ANY answers about why prices arent listed or why their prices are that high.

air likes this.
  5. bccocx

Yeah, I think you're right. The conversation I saw between her and beernerds was cordial. My conversation with her was good, too (and positive). I'm guessing some of the negative stuff came from Twitter.

6. cfh64

cfh64 Champion (811) Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Society Trader

Although I don't necessarily agree with her original response to us I know for a fact that there are many people in the beer industry who don't want to deal with us and I don't really blame them. Kudos to Jeff and Scott for being responsive but they also receive the least amount of criticism from our whiny, bitchy asses (some more than others).

pwsoldier, Krumb, air and 3 others like this.
  7. Grendle

Grendle Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Texas

I couldn't fathom a BA would personally attack her but if that quote is true that individual or indiciduals doesn't represent what we've discussed on this forum. I'm actually still in a bit of shock...

8. thebigyellowjoint

thebigyellowjoint Initiate (36) Nov 5, 2012 Texas

Still didn't really address the whole "BEK told us we should charge this much" point - now apparently its not BEK, but management, that set the price. Called us all immature assholes, but made sure to let us know we're more than welcome to come give her money. But hey, go Spurs go!

9. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,528) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

I can certainly understand her disdain for some people on this site, and other social media sites.
    " This is what happens when a b*tch owns a bar"
    Why anyone would send those kind of emails to her, I will never know? That is just petty and immature. I do not wish any ill will towards here, or the bar. Though she still never answered any questions. Which, a simple professional response would have stopped all of this.

Or she could have just ignored the thread in the first place, and this would have been buried a long time ago as well.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  10. Danielbt

Danielbt Initiate (0) May 4, 2012 Texas

Why would you assume she's right about which "group" the person that allegedly sent those comments is a "member" of?

There are zero membership requirements for BA, so literally anyone on the planet with internet access can be a "member". BA is also not the only place that information about this bar was posted. Anyone could have sent shitty comments to Jody.

11. Beernerds

Beernerds Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2011 Texas

I got the same response as bccocx and aschwab. In fact, she copied the 3 of us on the same email.

Am I reading this right? If they priced the beer at 35% above cost, then that means the distro would have sold it to them at $11.85? That's hard to believe.

Today's email reads like her final word on the subject, despite prior claims that she was interested in furthering the discussion. That's disappointing, as I've obviously got some follow-up questions. As I told her in prior emails, I want nothing more out of this than for TFS to be a great, successful craft-beer bar. If she doesn't have the time or interest in continuing this, then fair enough -- but I can't say I've been convinced to give TFS a chance, either.

12. bccocx

You're right. I shouldn't assume. I already acknowledged this with my reply to aschwab. Was I not clear? Let me quote what I said:

ExperimentalAles and mattisloco like this.
  13. kmello69

kmello69 Zealot (529) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

Whats that first part about EVERY other case of KBS in San Antonio being "pre-sold"? I know for a fact there are several SA BA's on here who went into stores and bought KBS, without it having been set aside for them or there being some sort of "pre-sale." So, once again, her explanations don't actually have "truth" behind them, but are shaped to fit the story she's trying to sell.

And I'm sorry if I find it hard to believe that a $16 12-ounce bottle was only a 20-35% markup from their cost.....

Grendle likes this.
  14. TTUJohn

TTUJohn Initiate (157) Nov 13, 2012 Texas

I think I paid less than $7 for a bottle of KBS at Spec's. I know bar and store pricing is different, but I guarantee that Spec's made money on that price, so more than doubling that seems at the very least a little suspect

15. Danielbt

Sorry, just wanted to beat you up more for being too credulous. :wink:

Not to mention that the discussion wasn't about KBS originally...

16. jamescain

jamescain Champion (858) Jul 14, 2009 Texas

I bought 3 bottles from 3 different retailers. All were about $5 (including tax) a bottle, which is basically the cost of the 4 pack divided by 4, no mark up.

17. Grendle

To my knowledge no KBS was pre sold in SA. We had to hunt it down like everyone else and I was fortunate to land some with all the 1 bottle limits.

starkmarvelo likes this.
  18. miikezombie

miikezombie Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2010 Texas

Yeah, but were any of those retailers friendly?

jaymesbawned, jl28r1 and HopAG like this.
  19. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 Texas

wouldn't have paid more than $6 for that subpar beer.

E-DUBB likes this.
  20. jamescain

jamescain Champion (858) Jul 14, 2009 Texas

No bc they wouldn't give me any trunk Loons

21. miikezombie

Bet they aren't locally owned either.

22. jl28r1

jl28r1 Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2011 Texas

She should have called out the person who made the bitch who owns a bar comment. A heated discussion is one thing but that was a dirtbag move.
    Really sorry it went there, both for her and all of us who are now associated with that dick.

mattisloco likes this.
  23. nathanmiller

nathanmiller Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2009 New York

Well yeah, name-calling and disrespect aren't helpful or professional. I can agree with that. But boycotting? Ranting? Boycotting is the only way we have, as consumers, to "vote with our dollars." Are we supposed to disagree with a business but blindly support it after?

Jody seems to be overly concerned with the number of jobs she's allegedly creating (and I say 'allegedly' because if the demand for such an institution exists, the market will fill it, whether she's the owner or not) and not with the fact that those same workers will not be benefited, in an open market, by a company whose greed leads to negativity from the customers.

There's a good way and a bad way to run a business. In an efficient market, and beer sale is very close to that, the bad way will not end well.

24. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas

They're actually not bad on some things... I got a growler of ABW Heavy Machinery Black IPA for like $16 + tax for Ananke Day. It might also be because I'm cute.

25. Lutter

I dunno about the person that "attacked her", but that's is a HORRIBLE response. I work in the hospitality industry and if I posted something like that, I'd be fired or at least reprimanded (she's the owner, so I guess she can do whatever the hell she wants). She's saying that everyone that has ever posted over here is an immature jerk by lumping us together with someone who is probably a damn lurker for all she knows! And that pisses me off.

Say nothing or even make up a lie that makes sense... I can tell you for a FACT that a case of KBS does not cost $261.12 (an estimate at the high end of her claim of 35% markup). That means that local stores were selling 4-packs for over $20 below COST. Simple math.

Again, I don't live in San Antonio any more, but that kinda PR nonsense really pisses me off. I don't know how anyone could ever feel welcome there after that response. It's you're all bothering her by trying to spend money there, given a reasonable price and product.

26. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

Well, she was "told". Probably by a distro rep. And how many times have we heard "my distribution guy said...{next week}" :astonished:

27. miikezombie

I really doubt whoever sent that email left a real name or BA handle.

I've been fairer to TFS, in this thread, than I have ever been to Jester King or Gabriel's on 1604. TFS's response was pretty much woe is me, fuck y'all, I cannot be criticized, and Go Local Sports Team Go. Losing my dollars will not hurt TFS' s bottom line, but I no longer feel welcomed there. And that's sad, because I did have a good experience there and often suggested TFS to people on this forum. Something I will not do in the future.

28. Lutter

I was re-reading what she wrote... and I think this is the key sentence...
    Basically, the jist I get from reading that particular sentence that is "We upped the base price before further marking it up because we felt it might be RAR WALEZ, BRO :sunglasses: "

ExperimentalAles likes this.
  29. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas

She won't return to our site, where people clearly know where we stand, but she wants us to return to hers because boycotting is unprofessional? Go Spurs Go

thebigyellowjoint, mrkmrk and Ford like this.
  30. miikezombie

"Go Spurs Go" and "Be Friendly" are now the official sarcastic "Cheers" at the end of posts on the Southwest forum.

31. Grendle

[​IMG] No sarcasm associated with this... :sunglasses: HOWEVER, with this... [​IMG] ???? :stuck_out_tongue:

32. Ford

Ford Champion (803) Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Society

Not impressed by her reply... and certainly no guarantee the person/s that cursed her were regular members from this site..

She shouldn't be cursed, though being an owner/manager/employee of any service based company... it's going to happen from time to time.

Still, she did everything but answer any of the real questions... luckily I have much better friendly spots in Houston to support... will make sure not to hit this place up when I'm in San Antonio, which is often enough... my one good beer drinking friend in SA said the place was not worth the time.

HopAG likes this.
  33. HopAG

HopAG Disciple (339) Sep 22, 2012 Texas

The Friendly Spot

[​IMG]

Go Spurs Go

34. ehsteve

ehsteve Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2009 Texas

If Jody's got one thing right, it's that she ought not return to BA. Her evasive, condescending, patronizing responses to questions about her pricing have done more damage than saying nothing at all. It's as though she expected to defuse all criticism by pointing out that she runs a "local business" that "creates jobs," like there aren't thousands of awful businesses in this country that could say the same.

Had the pricing issues gone unexplained, I can say personally I'd still have wanted to give the Friendly Spot a try the next time I'm in San Antonio. Having seen now that this is a business that treats its customers like idiots or children, I've lost all interest.

35. 13DegN

13DegN Initiate (101) Mar 25, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Such an interesting thread.
    A place I have not made it to. Wonder how much is tourist traffic vs local.

Eventually, (weeks, months) I'll recon the place even if I don't stay. Just want to see how ...ahh,friendly the place is and if they do eventually change processes regardless of the poor responses. Just gotta see what I'm missing(?) as it would seem they will self implode eventually if they don't change some.

Though Dick's Last Resort on riverwalk is a chain, it would be funny if they were related somehow. Or a merger! What would you call it? Hmmm.

36. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas

Friendly Dick Spots

mrkmrk and HopAG like this.
  37. blastoderm55

blastoderm55 Disciple (331) Jun 7, 2013 Texas
    Trader

I really don't think Jody, nor any proprietor, is obligated to share the details behind their pricing. Pricing isn't just based on a mark-up of wholesale cost. Overhead and profit have to be factored in as well. Would I pay $16 for a beer, hell no, but that doesn't mean its my right to demand justification behind the pricing. If that were the case, I would ask why I pay $8 a beer at the Alamo Bowl and at Spurs games, or $5 for a tiny taco during Fiesta.

38. Danielbt

I just want to point out that no one insisted that she lie about how they derived their pricing.

39. kmello69

kmello69 Zealot (529) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

The issue people had is that they don't advertise or inform the customer of the price until after the bottle's open. For a bottle of that cost, they need to be very clear upfront with people. Secondarily, she lied and said the distributor told them to charge that price, trying to deflect instead of just being upfront

HopAG, air, mrkmrk and 1 other person like this.
  40. jl28r1

jl28r1 Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2011 Texas

Join by date the day after this thread started........hmmmm ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.