$16 SA BB3... Fair or Foul?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Grendle, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blastoderm55

blastoderm55 Disciple (331) Jun 7, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Ha-ha! Conspiracy I'm sure. I don't agree with how she responded to the criticism. It may be one of those cases where you resign yourself to the fact that you cannot please everyone. I do agree that not knowing upfront about the price of the beer would be a shocker. I know Flying Saucer provides prices, and I think Yardhouse does too, as far as S.A. bars I have frequented are concerned. As stated earlier in the thread, our greatest strength as consumers is to speak with our wallets and chose to buy or to not buy.

2. jl28r1

jl28r1 Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2011 Texas

Friendly way to back away from the previous post.
    Go Spurs Go!

jaymesbawned likes this.
  3. blastoderm55

blastoderm55 Disciple (331) Jun 7, 2013 Texas
    Trader

I'm not personally invested I this argument, so I don't have a problem reevaluating my stance based on what has been presented. And yes, Go Spurs Go. If I have another bottle of Hoptimum, I'll be watching the game from the floor.

bccocx likes this.
  4. jl28r1

Nothing better than floor seats. ;-)

cfh64 likes this.
  5. ExperimentalAles

ExperimentalAles Initiate (101) May 24, 2012 Texas

Jody:
    "I received a half dozen emails from BA members. 3 were reasonable, the others would embarrass you. My favorite was " This is what happens when a b*tch owns a bar" and "just double the prices on cheap domestics". Definitely not building the clout for the BA group and certainly why most brewers, brewery reps and bar owners told me to steer clear of responding to you. I've accepted your feedback and responded honestly. My feedback to your group is that ranting, name calling, disrespect and boycotting locally owned places is not helpful or professional. I will not return to your site but, give you permission to post my response. For those who go negative, get busy bashing, I'll be creating jobs, giving to my community and supporting beer in the great city of San Antonio."

The only person who should be embarrassed is you Jody. Your responses have been outlandish and rude. How do you know it was a BA participant (no memberships here) who sent you the nasty e-mail? It is extremely unlikely that this note came from a BA regular or is even related to this post as it refers to "cheap domestics" which BB3 and KBS are certainly not. Even if the sender of the message does post on BA why would you accuse the entire BA community of "ranting, name calling, disrespecting, and boycotting" your bar? One individual sent you a 1 sentence insult and all of a sudden the entire BA community is name calling and being disrespectful?

I believe you were being called out for price gouging, lying about it, and for not telling customers the price of beers prior to ordering. The latter two are more offensive in my opinion. If someone is willing to pay for a beer and they know the price of it there is no harm done in my opinion.

At the end of the day you are being more disrespectful of the people in this thread than any of us have been to you. It probably would have been wise to either not enter the conversation or actually address the topic at hand with something along the lines of: "Yeah, we priced the beer higher because we though we could eventually sell it all at that price. We always try to warn customers when they order a higher priced beer; it was a mistake that we didn't, sorry about that."

jaymesbawned, HopAG and mattisloco like this.
  6. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2012 Texas

If I remember corectly the case price of KBS is somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 bucks. 24X$16=$384. That's a pretty sweet margin.

Go Spurs Go!

7. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Disciple (334) Feb 21, 2011 Texas
    Trader

Wow, that sounds extremely friendly.

mrkmrk likes this.
  8. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Devotee (466) Apr 26, 2007 Texas

And BB3 is slightly less than that. It would probably sell for ~$5 at Specs.

9. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Disciple (334) Feb 21, 2011 Texas
    Trader

So, back on topic. How do us BAs boycott a bar? Do we sit outside with our neglected facial hair and coolers of beer no one has heard of, and pour every passerby a taste? Or do use our overly proper Stemware to cheers each other when someone orders a bmc?

10. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

We don't boycott it, we just don't go. It's beer, not a civil rights movement ;-)

mrkmrk and Grendle like this.
  11. Grendle

Grendle Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Texas

I personally just don't go and when asked about it, I don't bash them I just advise that you better ask for prices before because if not you may encounter price shock. They will survive because a lot of BMC drinkers, Hipsters and Bike Riding friendly individuals is their core clientele.

AdamR46 and Bierwuver like this.
  12. HookemHops13

HookemHops13 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2013 Texas

Lol, I really wish I had facial hair so I could join this.... Or rare beer no one has heard of. Apparently I'm a horrible BA.

Fyi I enjoyed a BB3 for the price of 8$ at canyon creek cafe last night! #stay friendly

jaymesbawned likes this.
  13. aschwab

aschwab Zealot (501) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

That is stealing it from canyon creek.

#notfriendly

14. dpkpr

dpkpr Initiate (177) Apr 19, 2008 Texas

I just saw on Saint Arnold's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/saintarnold that they will be selling BB3 during this afternoon's tour for $8. My understanding is that this charge is on top of the cost of the tour, but their normal beer selection is included in the tour price.

15. mattisloco

mattisloco Disciple (314) Feb 13, 2007 Texas

For onsite consumption only right?

16. aschwab

It would have to be.

17. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Disciple (306) Feb 3, 2009 Texas

Yes sir. They confirmed via twitter.

mattisloco likes this.
  18. mattisloco

I thought so but thanks for clarifying.

19. obrike

obrike Defender (639) Jun 19, 2009 Texas

Flix in Round Rock had a bunch in the cooler on Wednesday night...I believe they were going for 7 bucks.

A dude and his dad walked out with 8 bottles while I was sitting at the bar.

20. kmello69

kmello69 Zealot (529) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

Friendly!

air, obrike, jl28r1 and 1 other person like this.
  21. aschwab

Clearly, they were bad and just trying to get rid of them. They had to pay at least $12/bottle from the distributor.

mrkmrk, Beernerds and obrike like this.
  22. Daemose

Daemose Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2011 Texas

Why is this thread still going?

23. Danielbt

Danielbt Initiate (0) May 4, 2012 Texas

Because people besides you want to talk about it?

Mcal and kmello69 like this.
  24. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2012 Texas

James Bond Sleuth Award goes to you

mrkmrk likes this.
  25. jl28r1

I'm clever like that. ;-)

26. HookemHops13

Found a place in Louisiana that sold 2 cases of BB3 at $4.75.

This has been your PSA for the day.

#Stay Friendly

27. HopAG

HopAG Disciple (339) Sep 22, 2012 Texas

Hopefully you bought some?

28. HookemHops13

Key word. Sold. They said they sold out last week. Would have bought the limit (they said limit of 4).

mattisloco likes this.
  29. mattisloco

I don't think they made 25¢ a bottle on that. Care to share where that was? I'd like to shop there when I head east later this year.

30. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Devotee (466) Apr 26, 2007 Texas

$1.04 profit per bottle. Sounds like a pretty typical retail margin to me.

31. HookemHops13

Wine Country on Flournoy Lane (sp?) in Shreveport Louisiana. Good guys over there too. Lead me to Anchorage Brewing that I hadn't heard of. After a little searching they are apparently a very good new brewery. Had the Galaxy White IPA and it was fantastic. Have a Bitter Monk (Double IPA with Brett) in the fridge that is supposed to be awesome too.

Krumb and mattisloco like this.
  32. bmurray10

bmurray10 Disciple (308) Feb 28, 2013 Texas

Jeez, I am in Shreveport right now! I need to go there tomorrow

33. mattchow

mattchow Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2012 Texas

ftfy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.