1st Annual Cambridge Brewing Co. Sour Fest

Discussion in 'New England' started by jomobono, Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jomobono

jomobono Aspirant (259) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts

2. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (432) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Saw that. Too bad it's the same day (or one of the days) of NERAX...

3. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Aspirant (221) Nov 17, 2009 Massachusetts

Damn it I will be out of the country.

4. Aaron58

Aaron58 Initiate (184) Dec 16, 2007 Massachusetts

drooooooling

5. Corey1031d

Corey1031d Initiate (87) Feb 10, 2013 New Hampshire
    Trader

I was just there last weekend and I had some Cerise. Holy shit, this stuff might be one of the best sour beers I have ever had.

6. emannths

emannths Aspirant (231) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

THERE BEER SUCKS AND TASTES AWFUL DONT GO

That way there's more for me.

7. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (952) Mar 17, 2009 Washington
    Trader

I'll be there

8. yuppiescum

yuppiescum Initiate (47) Jun 4, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Camberville beer week!

9. emannths

That was fun. Servers seemed a bit flustered though.

10. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (274) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

Rye Rye Rocco and 2011 Cerisse were amazing, as expected. It did seem a bit understaffed. Having another register and only doing full pours would seem to have helped.

11. Rekrule

Rekrule Defender (604) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Rye Rye Rocco is amazing. I'm sorry I couldn't make this. :slight_frown:

12. Sycodrummer

Sycodrummer Defender (612) Dec 5, 2004 Massachusetts

I agree the event was great (Rye Rye, 2011 Cerisse, and the Kriek were my personal favorites) but it could have used some organizational improvements. Maybe the size and timing of the crowd wasn't expected, but keeping half of the bar dedicated to a few well-defined service lines for may have helped to make it more efficient.

13. woodfinish

woodfinish Initiate (198) Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts

That's been par for the course at these big CBC events for the last few years. I feel bad for anyone who shows up at 6 because at that point it's inevitably 8 deep at the bar to be served with an hour+ wait for seating. They do seem to have made an effort to streamline the process by having rows and rows of pours lined up at the start and folks working to keep that buffer stocked. I was actually really impressed by the service we got at our table; faster and more reliable than the times I've gotten there early enough to grab a bar seat.

I'd be disappointed if they eliminated the short pours since there are always so many unique beers to try. I wonder if they could go to a wristband/ticket system. Much of the wait at the bar seems to revolve around the register and sorting through the 100 tabs that must be open. Tickets could also make it easier to pour from multiple locations, like the patio. All depends on what's possible in Cambridge, I guess.

Also wouldn't feel put upon if they just went cash only for big events to streamline things.

14. Stormfield

Stormfield Initiate (165) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Unrelated to CBC's events, why did they stop pouring Spring Training already? I feel like it was only up for a few weeks. Usually their seasonals last much longer than that. Maybe they only made a small batch this year. Anyone know why it came and went so quickly?

15. emannths

Yeah, doing something different with bar payments needs to be considered. Maybe make it tickets-only at the bar? Don't they do tickets for the Great Pumpkin Fest? Does it work? And if the weather is half-decent, like it was last night, having an outdoor station would be really helpful. I think they do this at the anniversary party.

Our service at the table mixed--food and drink orders showed up quickly, but I found it hard to flag down our waiter several times as he was occupied taking orders, bussing dirty glasses, etc.

16. crusian

crusian Crusader (788) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Trader

17. emannths

Dude, if you're gonna bust their balls for something like that, at least use proper capitalization, punctuation, and spelling in your own post. Sheesh.

messrock and crusian like this.
  18. jbart

jbart Initiate (158) Oct 2, 2004 Massachusetts

I was told last night that Spring Training would be coming back on, possibly as soon as today.

Also, Sour Fest was awesome, despite being super packed. CBC's sours are amazing, and there is a lot of variation among them. The staff was working really hard to try and keep up. It's always nice to see that Brewdaddy shows up to the events and helps out. I never see CBC managers idly sitting by watching as the rest of the staff is slammed.

I really hope they continue this fest!

Stormfield likes this.
  19. Stormfield

Stormfield Initiate (165) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Good to hear about Spring Training. And yes, their sours rule. I could drink gallons of Mellow Gold, Brett Grisette and Jack Straw.

Yes, the CBC staff are terrific people. I can't say I know any of them personally, but I've never seen one of their waiters, hosts, or bartenders who didn't seem to take pride in the place. Overall, just a great time going there. Can't wait for the 25th Anniversary Party.

Gushue3 and FrankLloydMike like this.
  20. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,560) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Yes the pumpkin fest is all tickets. I've been to multiple and it works very well. I've also been to both the day and night event, so I've definitely attended when it was busy.

21. RKing44

RKing44 Devotee (403) Mar 6, 2012 Massachusetts

So true.

22. AdamsDTD

AdamsDTD Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2011 Massachusetts

The people at CBC are awesome and there's only so much they can do with a small space. That being said, my one criticism was that they weren't allowing tabs at the bar. I could be wrong, but for their barleywine/anniversary events this usually isn't the case. I also don't believe this was communicated prior to the festival unless I totally missed the memo. A lot of people were paying with card, forced to cash out, and wait for the server to run the bill. I think this caused some of the long waits at the bar.

Otherwise the beers were great and big props to the staff for working hard to get everyone served as quickly as possible.

23. F2brewers

F2brewers Champion (825) Mar 12, 2005 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society Trader

I didn't notice this and have never observed this at a CBC event before (I make most of them).

Arrived around 7.20 and started a tab at the bar once I worked my way through the crowd (~ 15 minutes?). Cashed it out around 9.30 or so with minimal waiting. I know of at least 2-3 other people who I shared beer with who also had an open tab at the bar.

Any others experience this?

24. AdamsDTD

AdamsDTD Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2011 Massachusetts

I was there around 6pm and the bartender wouldn't let me open a tab (she told the same thing to the woman beside me). Very odd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.