Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

1st Homebrew - How to make it better?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GoGators, Dec 22, 2012.

1. JackHorzempa

“Wont simply boiling the water you are adding to the primary remove the chlorine?” Boiling will indeed remove chlorine. I am not a utility water expert but I think the majority of public water is using chloramine these days (since chloramine is more stable than chlorine).

So, if the OP contacts his public water provider and finds out that his tap water contains chlorine then he has the option of the boiling method. He will need to boil his ‘top off’ water and let it cool down prior to adding it to the primary.

A ‘benefit’ of the carbon block filtering method is that in addition to removing chlorine/chloramine it will also remove other aesthetic volatiles (if they are present).

Cheers!

2. GoGators

Subscriber Beer Trader

Not sure whether it matters but i also have a water softener in which all my tap water runs through.

3. JackHorzempa

I am not a water treatment expert but my understanding of water softeners is that they remove the ions that cause the water to be hard, in most cases calcium and magnesium ions.

I very much doubt that the water softening process will have any impact on the aspects of chlorine/chloramine.

Hopefully billandsuz will chime in on this thread; he is a water treatment expert.

Cheers!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe