Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

1x Fou Foune = ?x LP ?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by Mista, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Mista

Beer Trader

I'm curious what the masses think

Is 1x Fou Foune worth 2x Lou Pepe (Kriek, Geuze, Framboise) - any combination of the three?

or is more like

2x Fou Foune = 3x Lou Pepe (Kriek, Geuze, Framboise) - any combination of the three?

WagonCircler likes this.
  2. drgarage

Closer to the latter. Though I think LP Geueze and FF are closer to equal.

3. ASUBeer

Beer Trader

1:1 with maybe something small added to the Lou Pepe side. I'd never give up multiple LP's for Fou Foune. I think LP Kriek and LP Fram are superior to Fou Foune but that's based on my personal tastes.

Gosox8787, WagonCircler and usofar like this.
  4. franklinn

agreed. Trade value FF is probably higher, but taste both fruited LPs are better for me, personally.

Gosox8787 and WagonCircler like this.
  5. 4DAloveofSTOUT

Beer Trader

Why is the LP Gueuze harder to get than LPK & LPF? Is it because the Gueuze beer style uses 3 vintages of lambic to make one blended beer?

WagonCircler likes this.
  6. csano

IIRC, the LP gueuze is a blend of two year old Lambic aged in fresh wine barrels.

WagonCircler likes this.
  7. LambicKing

As others have said, not 1:1, but (2 of the 3 are) close. I'd say LPG is about a 0.9FF trading coefficient, LPK being 0.75FF and LPF being 0.25 LPF (or lower).

Full IMO disclosure: FF > LPG > LPK >>>>>>>>>>>> LPF

WagonCircler likes this.
  8. kawilliams81

Beer Trader

1:1. Fou Foune is good but nothing amazing. 06 LPF is still the best beer I have ever had.

9. OneBeertoRTA

Subscriber Beer Trader

After two years of heavy international online orders I find The Kriek to be the hardest to get. framboise has been on twice in the last three months with no limit and I was able to order 18 of the Gueze at once. The few times I got Kriek was a one bottle limit

10. LambicKing

YGBSM.
    No wonder I can never find LPG.

11. Jimmyp7010

How does St Lam factor in here? I know it isn't a LP, just curious where it falls in line.

12. tinypyramids

below all of these trade value wise. taste wise is always subjective.

13. tbadiuk

Beer Trader

There really are no hard and fast rules to this, nor a 100% concencous. What I've seen is that FF will loosen the deathgrip people have on rarer stuff easier than the Lou Pepe Fram/Kriek, and marginally better than Lou Pepe Gueuze. Also, less LP-G is made each year than FF, especially now in 2012/2013 (FF production appears to have increased- still miniscule compared to demand though). As a side note, Mamouche is about as rare as Fou Foune as well (again, rarer now in 2012+).

For Lamvinus- it used to be easier to get trade wise, as well as purchase. Now, the difference between it any the Lou Pepes is shrinking mainly due to demand. Red wine drinkers who like gueuze love the stuff due to the cross-over, and there is no other option in Lambic Land I believe.

Further to the above, there are other factors - Cherry shortage one cherry knocked out LP-Kriek production by a great deal (2010 sticker version), crushed transport container on a ship knocked out 20-25% of the Fou'Foune another year, etc. Always weird stuff going one with Cantillon it seems...:p

Callmecoon likes this.
  14. tbadiuk

Beer Trader

Do you mean personal taste wise or trade wise? I've found that Framboise is actually even or higher than LPK lately for some reason. I traded 2 x Lou Pepe Fram 07 (sticker, so 2009 release) for 2 x DDG just recently for example (and it was me answering an ISO, I really didn't want to do any more trades this year...)

15. Jnorton00

I
    I think Horal is sabotaging them due to jealousy of their tax exempt status!

tbadiuk likes this.
  16. LambicKing

Strictly personal taste on the LPK, but serious on trade value and taste of the other two. I'm sure trade value on LPK is higher than what I posted but it's my least favorite of the 4 by far.

17. mulder1010

1-1 and in some ways I would almost go the LP at a higher value as they are a higher cost than FF is. From an international perspective I value LP more than FF as have not seen it in over two years here in Australia and that FF is easier to find now. $4$ wise the LP's are far more costly than FF has been here

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe