2009 BCBS Question

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Spartan213, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartan213

Spartan213 Aspirant (213) May 28, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

I came across a couple of bottles of 09 BCBS that without getting too off track ended up being refrigerated. Not sure how long they have been in there so I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on if they needed to be kept cold at this point or if pulling them out into my cellar would be ok.

2. fear025

fear025 Disciple (397) Apr 29, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout is a pretty resilient beer. I wouldn't worry too much about pulling it out of your refrigerator and into a cellar. Of course, you don't want to do this on a regular basis.

backfat likes this.
  3. claaark13

claaark13 Zealot (526) Nov 29, 2007 Indiana

I've recently consumed both 12oz and 22oz of that vintage that have been kept between 60-70 degrees since they hit the store shelf. Both were awesome and I noticed no difference in appearance/flavor/aroma. I think the 12oz was a screw-top as well?

They're drinking well right now, so I don't think you'll be doing yourself a disservice by keeping them cold.

4. Plenum

Plenum Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 New Jersey

Moving them to the cellar is fine. The colder temps in the fridge just retarded the aging process some. This is a pretty durable beer. Good score by the way!

5. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Aspirant (244) Jun 26, 2007 Colorado
    Trader

They are ticking time bombs that should be sent to me immediately for proper disposal.

6. a77cj7

a77cj7 Meyvn (1,446) May 7, 2010 South Dakota

Have had a few of mine migrate from cellar to fridge and back again a few times. (I'm gonna drink this, no, i should wait...) They have all been excellent when I've decided to actually drink them, lol.

I would recommend cellering the 09 at this point, the 08 is currently much better. However, it is still a very tasty beer, just depends on how good you are at self control. (Mine seem to keep disappearing, no idea why, but they sure are tasty :slight_smile: )

7. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2009 Illinois

Even if these were stored in a wood fired oven, i'd trade for them.

nawset and claaark13 like this.
  8. cpinto6

cpinto6 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2010 Georgia

You'd be trading for glass shards sticky with dried up beer:wink: Someone probably would've gotten some awesome pizza or steak or w/e out of it though

9. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2009 Illinois

If that beer is 09 BCS, its worth it. Masochists lollypop.

cpinto6 likes this.
  10. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Zealot (543) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Trader

Getting ready to do a vertical very soon, to include an '03 (yes, an '03) that a friend has when they brought it to GABF and it was leftover. Gonna be one nice vertical, indeed.

cpinto6 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.