Release 2012 Cantillon Fou Foune Released (Now FF 2013 too)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Knownfactor, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 77black_ships

77black_ships Devotee (440) Dec 4, 2012 Belgium

Very likely, the American guy I am keeping bottles for said that there is a website that delivers these to USA. 15 € + shipping, 1 bottle each max. You are better of contacting someone in Belgium& just trading.

2. andrejes

andrejes Initiate (184) Jun 10, 2011 Netherlands
    Beer Trader

just got a email from etre

"Hello,

The newest batch from Cantillon Mamouche is now available in our shop in limited quantities. But unfortunately, there will not be any Fou foune available in the near future."
    mamouche cost 19,5 euro!!! crazy!!

luwak likes this.
  3. belvedere86

belvedere86 Initiate (164) Apr 1, 2013 Belgium
    Beer Trader

Jean has discovered who the hoarders for etre are?

andrejes likes this.
  4. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Meyvn (1,269) Jan 14, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Belgium in a Box has Fou Foune 2013...but it is part of a 6 bottle package deal only. All told, it'd be $343 shipped to the US for the package. Too rich for my blood.

DJButters likes this.
  5. smartassboiler

smartassboiler Champion (805) Apr 9, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Dang, yeah, I just noticed the same, but I got a total of just under $300. Regardless...$50 a bottle? No way.

6. OddNotion

OddNotion Devotee (478) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I also looked and noticed that the Rose de Gambrinus is a 375ml, a little more salt in the wound.

corby112 and Pnell316 like this.
  7. evilhead

evilhead Initiate (70) May 13, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Yeah... think I'll just stick to my Framboise For a Cure bottles for now... any Antwerp beerbuds out there want to trade for California stuff send me a msg

Warlocks-Passage likes this.
  8. Pnell316

Pnell316 Initiate (164) Aug 16, 2010 Pennsylvania

I just saw that too, its probably done for shipping purposes, but who knows? I still can't get over the 99 euro 3F vintage 07, I picked up a couple of them from Dorst a couple months ago for 14 euro.

OddNotion likes this.
  9. 77black_ships

Regular 3F Geuze 07, those can be hit & miss, i have had some that were totally flat & only okay.

10. BKArmstrong

BKArmstrong Aspirant (268) Jan 21, 2013 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

As of right now, Original bottle limits from Cantillon Facebook page still apply. Corrrect , there is 50N4E available, but one bottle limit on it.

11. Rainblows

Rainblows Initiate (164) Feb 27, 2013 Illinois

I never saw that- and there's an 08 listed at under €30. He had some 1.5l bottles up for a while that may have been 2007 vintage so maybe that's what you're thinking of?

I don't personally know Kurt or have anything to gain by defending his site- the rarer cantillons are mot certainly marked up and often sold in a package because otherwise everyone would jump on there buy up all the Fou and never anything else and he'd go out of business. The shipping charges aren't cheap but that's just what it costs to ship internationally. Also, if there's a problem with customs or something broke you have a company to hold responsible that will make right any situation. Those types of insurances are nice when beer is being shipped internationally.

luwak likes this.
  12. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (3,280) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I don't know, markup from $10 to $60 is a pretty fierce one. If I remember correctly he's had packages of 10 Cantillons that would include Fou' Foune and a Lou Pepe in the past that was nowhere near as bad as this "Connasieur's box".

1up likes this.
  13. toolebox81

toolebox81 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2012 Illinois

I almost bought one last night but decided to sleep on it. Woke up six hours later and it was gone.

14. beerhan

beerhan Defender (611) Apr 28, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Look at it this way, you almost bought a $360 six pack, when you spell it out that is insane. Sure you can't find those beers easily but you'll live. Worst comes to worse just trade for it. I think the real kicker was the rose being only a half bottle.

15. Pnell316

Pnell316 Initiate (164) Aug 16, 2010 Pennsylvania

Was definitely the 07 vintage 750 for 99E, the 1.5 L was the 04 regular gueuze and that was 299E. I've ordered from Kurt plenty of times and not trying to bash as most stuff is priced reasonably, its just a few things that make me scratch my head.

16. belvedere86

Beer Trader

Just trade for it :) Overhere we have the same issue with well-known American beers. For example a popular craft beer shop has bottles from the bruery. Only they ask 135 dollar (100euro) for Grey Monday, 122 dollar (90euro) for Chocolate rain,.... And the best part is that they probably traded for those bottles with Cantillon or something.

I wonder which beergeek really pays that much money for these bottles. :)

luwak likes this.
  17. toolebox81

toolebox81 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2012 Illinois

Yeah, not butt hurt about it. If I really wanted it I guess I would have bought it right when I saw it. I can always wait for Walgreens to get FF again.

WagonCircler likes this.
  18. belvedere86

Beer Trader

IPAIsaac likes this.
  19. LumpkinBrews

LumpkinBrews Aspirant (258) Aug 30, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Cantillon.... where?...how do you?!

20. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I can confirm that Kurt's shipping is done at cost. So if anyone has a problem with his shipping prices I suggest they take it up with bpost.

As far as the seasonal Cantillon bundling goes, I have been informed by several Belgian online sellers that Jean is pushing base stock on people that want to buy the seasonals in quantity. You're a Belgian guy that wants 12 Fou Foune? Be prepared to buy 6 Kreik and 6 Classic.

Basically the bundling and the small limits imposed by Kurt and etre are a direct result of Jean forcing year-round product on these sellers. It's a bad business practice that I happen to be strongly against.

pmarlowe likes this.
  21. corby112

corby112 Poo-Bah (3,907) Nov 19, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I would glady buy 6 Kriek and 6 Gueuze in order to purchase 12 Fou Foune. There has never been a more appropriate time to say, "Shut up and take my money"!

22. Atomicskis5

Atomicskis5 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I think most problems with BIAB are the extreme mark-ups on the more limited bottles(Lou pepes, st lam, fou), i'm all for making a little bit extra on them def,, but when you are charging 30+ euros for that kind of stuff when your paying a 3rd of that sucks, but such is life, and i will probably continue to buy from him. His shipping costs are expected, it aint cheap, but belgium to USA is a long way overseas. Also sign me up for being able to buy 12 bottls of ff for the "rediculous" stipulation i have to buy that yucky kriek and bio gueuze haha

23. luwak

luwak Aspirant (269) Mar 2, 2010 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Ditto.
    Even just one.

24. Stevedore

Beer Trader

Fou' Foune is a fantastic beer, definitely my favorite sour but I can't justify paying upwards of $80 a bottle after shipping. If you can, all the power to you.

grilledsquid and OddNotion like this.
  25. luwak

Beer Trader

I tried to buy it and it told me it was unavailable.

26. Jonada

Jonada Champion (832) May 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Sold out within hours of being put up.

27. luwak

Beer Trader

Yeah i tried the day the post i quoted was made. But i have no idea what time it was put up.

28. inkdemention

inkdemention Initiate (135) Nov 17, 2012 Nevada
    Beer Trader

so pretty much all the special loons start with a base loon...

29. Stevedore

Beer Trader

A loon begets more loons.

30. riemster

riemster Devotee (454) Mar 17, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I thought about buying the Fall Connoisseur Box 2013. It was $230 including shipping. That was the package that went quickly with '13 FF, '11 LP Kriek, '13 Mamouche and 3 other bottles... 10kg.

The 50n4e Connoisseur box was $343. :]

31. BennyBeer04

BennyBeer04 Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2009 Massachusetts

I want it too, a lot... but imagine will live if I don't get it.

32. facesnorth

facesnorth Disciple (384) May 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I don't see where on their website it lists what they currently have available.

Also what are the prices in the brewery for these bottles? Is that the cheapest one can find them anywhere? Or are they actually cheaper at certain shops throughout Belgium?

33. Stevedore

Beer Trader

Cheapest you can get it is at the brewery. And thats at €7.80... or $10.50.

facesnorth likes this.
  34. facesnorth

facesnorth Disciple (384) May 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Ok and that's for 750's right? Thanks.

35. 77black_ships

Didn’t know this is the case. When I went to the brewery, the limits were there with no requirements. My friend bought 6 Fou’ Foune’s & they didn’t require him to buy anything additionally. There is nothing wrong with their geuze & kriek. Their kriek is my favourite beer.
    Only a purchase of 50N4E works like you described. I didn't buy 12 bottles.

36. Stevedore

Beer Trader

To the best of my knowledge, Fou' Foune is produced only in 750's. There may be older vintages where that is not the case, but I have never seen this beer in 375's.

37. 77black_ships

F2brewers and Stevedore like this.
  38. Stevedore

Beer Trader

ISO: Italian Baguette

wifehatesthebike likes this.
  39. Gueuze_Goon

Gueuze_Goon Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2013 Colorado

Can anybody confirm whether this will see the online shops?

Has Mamouche already been posted and sold on Etre?

40. andrejes

andrejes Initiate (184) Jun 10, 2011 Netherlands
    Beer Trader

Yes the Mamouche was sold already for 19 eur a bottle, They do not sell FF any more!
    Beerkompass.de had some!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe