2013 HMOG

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by pghlee, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyta

heyta Initiate (156) Jun 16, 2009 Georgia
    Beer Trader

I still don't understand why it's so hard to mail order a beer. Whiners gonna whine.

I think we should strive to include everyone who shows they want to be included. Show you want to be included by bringing something that's not on a shelf. I don't think it has to be from out of state, it just shouldn't be on the shelf in georgia right now.

Bring a wake n bake vertical stretching back a few years, or a founder's blushing monk or something that isn't on the shelf anymore. Or as many have said, place an order online for a beer we don't get here. France44.com has Surly for example....

It's not that hard, so I don't understand why people gotta whine about inclusion. If you want to be included you will be. If you don't want to (and don't put forth any effort), then you won't be. It's a two way street.

2. bradcochran1234

bradcochran1234 Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2011 Georgia

All this back and forth on this crap makes a newbie like myself a little weary to hang out with a bunch of people drinking. If you guys and gals can't get along what's the point in sharing?

petitcochon57 and xxcarpxx like this.
  3. heyta

heyta Initiate (156) Jun 16, 2009 Georgia
    Beer Trader

we do get along. much respect to both Donnie and Jim. And can't wait to share a beer with you guys.

4. firkinhophead

firkinhophead Disciple (358) Oct 4, 2007 Georgia

There's a ton of locally brewed and distributed stuff from our border states that is not available in GA, so it's not *that* hard to get something from out of state. But I don't really understand why a vintage or hard to find beer would not qualify. Hell, I didn't get any Hopslam this year and still haven't had Echeton. I just don't have tons of time or money these days to devote to the cult of beergeekery, so every time I go into the BSP or a growler shop or Green's, I see a dozen things I would love to try. HMOG gives me a chance to sample lots of beers and talk with experts about them. That seems like a legitimate purpose for the gathering.

I would not support a charge to get in without a contribution, since that would do nothing to relieve the crowding problem and would only encourage drunken beer fester types. I just think vintages and rarities should be considered legitimate contributions. That said, I am pretty sure I have a Cigar City that was never sold in Georgia and a full 16% Jewbilation that I can bring. I will also try to up my committment level to acquiring some true whale to earn my spot. Peace, out.

ontherocks likes this.
  5. firkinhophead

firkinhophead Disciple (358) Oct 4, 2007 Georgia

Brad, I can attest that all of the fine folks at the HMOG's I have been to were welcoming and gracious. Most were well-behaved. Newbies are the life-blood of any group of enthusiasts. Without them, who will we have to bore with our superior knowledge? Come, and bring your enthusiasm and whatever you can find to share.

6. ontherocks

ontherocks Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2008 Georgia

Is the 30th the final date, as far as we know?

7. jmhart

jmhart Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2010 Georgia

30th is awesome. Thanks Lee!

8. unclejedi

unclejedi Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2006 Alabama

I get that there is a legitimate desire to exclude people who don't really know what our beer geekery and this gathering are all about, IE someone who just heard there was free beer upstairs. The trouble is, making rules here isn't going to keep those people out, the only thing that will keep them out is a gatekeeper, somebody at the top of the stairs keeping the riff-raff out. Who wants that job? I certainly don't. I know Lance has sort of done it in the past. Maybe those of you who are really concerned about it should take shifts. Pretty simple really, just ask anyone what their BA name is, and if they have a stupid look while trying to come up with an answer, they don't belong. Meanwhile, anyone who is a regular participant in any of the forums we all use should be made to feel welcome.

Tell you what I am going to do... if you are a regular here or any other beer site I frequent, and you do not feel like you have a beer that is "worthy," contact me, I'll set you up with something for as close to what I paid for it as I can remember, and I will turn around and either spend with BSP or put in the server's tip jar any money that I might collect helping people out this way.

heyta, kkipple, jmhart and 1 other person like this.
  9. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (1,228) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Better yet...

I can't make it. I have a couple of good bottles from out of state. If you are on the southside of town, want to go, and don't have anything you feel is good enough, BM me. I'll pass a bottle on so you can feel confident with your share, and enjoy yourself and the company.

jmhart and xxcarpxx like this.
  10. jmhart

jmhart Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2010 Georgia

Just an anecdote:

Interesting thing about all this. My first HMOG. I brought a few Alesmith beers, a Westy 8, and couple of other things that I've forgotten. Brought a buddy of mine, my brewing partner and fellow BA (he's not real active, not a trader, but definitely appreciates fine beer), so I made sure to bring extra stuff to "cover" him. Anyway, he brought a Stone Old Guardian that he'd stuffed away in a basement closet for a year. Call it "aged" if you will. He labeled it with the vintage. Probably about as aged as most of the stuff you see (considering half the beer world considers a dark basement closet to be a "cellar"). Anyway, he brings this Old Guardian. You can buy it on the shelf right now at any beer store and stick it away for a year if you want. Anyway, this beer, which it seems some people in this thread would be turning their nose up, this beer, he couldn't have stopped people from drinking it. It was gone in the first 15 minutes. People complimented him on it. People thanked him. I thought it was really cool how welcoming people were. I figured people were going to be bit more snobby about it. Figured it wouldn't even be opened. I was amazed. Maybe people were being polite, I don't know. What I do know is that his Stone Old Guardian was empty long before Speedway Stout.

11. ontherocks

ontherocks Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2008 Georgia

It seems that once a few bottles get opened and shared, "It's all OK".

12. Mavajo

Mavajo Zealot (572) Feb 10, 2007 Georgia

Never been to one of these HMOGs, but I can't imagine anyone's going to be disappointed if someone shows up with KBS, CBS, Black Note, Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen or other similar beers 'available' in Georgia. I would also tend to think a few of the older Dank Tanks/Side Projects would be fair game, like DP Barleywine or Depth Charge.

That's just my opinion, though I do acknowledge that the fact that I probably won't attend anyway probably robs it of whatever limited credence my opinion had anyway. Sounds like an awesome event, and I love BSP, but I can't stand packed crowds. Sweating balls, elbow-to-elbow and drinking crammed in between a bunch of dudes with questionable hipster hygiene is UGH. I love to drink in quiet, at a cool 68-71 degrees, with plenty of room and a nice ambient noise level that doesn't require me to scream to talk to the person next to me.

Love you all though.

jriggins6 and Kmccabe33 like this.
  13. pghlee

pghlee Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2006 Georgia

been away for 12 days so i havent been keeping up with the post. stopped reading this crap as well. I will set up a new thread with details about the event and please dont turn that into a bitch session. HMOG started to bring new people into beer and welcome new BAs to the site. If it doesnt bother dave or I about what people bring it shouldnt bother any of you. looking forward to this as usual. Stay tuned.....

Kmccabe33 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.