Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

2013 Parabola - How long do you plan on aging it?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by --Dom--, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. --Dom--

--Dom-- Dec 22, 2012 Missouri

Just got mine this week, don't think it's gonna last very long.... I mean it's already been aged in barrels right??? :D How long do you plan on sitting on yours?

2. MontereyBay831

MontereyBay831 Dec 15, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Drinking one every 3 months. (I have a full case though. ;))

Fluteswell and BigBarley like this.
  3. Vitacca

Vitacca Sep 15, 2010 Montana
    Beer Trader

Once mine comes in the mail, about 3 hours.

4. RichD

RichD Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

I need to get my hands on some first. If I get more than 1 then I'll definitely age one. If I only get 1 then I'm definitely going to drink it right away.

alex_hart likes this.
  5. Greenplastic615

Greenplastic615 Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

An hour or two? As long as it takes to get to like 50 degrees in the fridge :)

chanokokoro likes this.
  6. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Jan 28, 2013 California

Perfect! I'm available every 3 months! It sounds like you have a new friend in San Jose!

7. MontereyBay831

MontereyBay831 Dec 15, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

8. HighWine

HighWine Dec 11, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I like it with a year on it.

brureview and RBassSFHOPit2ME like this.
  9. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Mar 1, 2009 California

Not long. I'm very familiar with this beer, since before and after bottling began. It's best around the 8-10 month old mark IMHO, but subjective...I'm well aware. Opened a 2011 last weekend, and felt as if it lost some of it's umph. Easy answer is buy a few, have one fresh and age the other couple as you see fit. Still have another 2011 for trade if you're curious to figure this all out sooner than later. BCBS is the first brew that comes to mind for discussion. ;-)

10. timc100

timc100 Aug 13, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Thought it was amazing out of the gate, but too much coffee. 8 - 10 months sounds about right. FW beers are aged and blended to such perfection that it's only a matter of subtle nuances that need to be fine-tuned, not a whole reshaping, at least in my opinion.

11. ZamaMan

ZamaMan Apr 5, 2013 California

I have heard it is better to play it safe with freshness of parabola. I know someone how had all 4 batches and felt like each year was better. Whether its due to recipe or going down with age I wouldn't age it too long.

Also did they sell out surprisingly quick in your town? Here in Sacramento it hit most everywhere on wednesday and is pretty much gone everywhere even with 1 bottle limits.

12. BourbonBarrelBeerBelly

BourbonBarrelBeerBelly Feb 13, 2013 Washington
    Beer Trader

I'll give it a good 15 minutes to develop, then I will perform oral on it. I will picking up a 2012 bottle as well tomorrow! I'll let that one age, and drink the current!

2beerdogs likes this.
  13. MexicanSkittel

MexicanSkittel Jun 14, 2010 California

I get 6 a year.
    And do three vintage verticals. Just finished my last 2010,
    Next will be an '11,'12,''13 tasting.
    The other three I drink when I'm in the mood.

arfenhouse and 2beerdogs like this.
  14. Lare453

Lare453 Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

At least 18 years.

15. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Jan 31, 2005 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Damn...you a marathoner?;)

16. Vitacca

Vitacca Sep 15, 2010 Montana
    Beer Trader

2 minute kind of guy. Who am I kidding.

Kuemmelbrau and 2beerdogs like this.
  17. Smithrob9999

Smithrob9999 Aug 3, 2011 Texas

I snagged a few, I'll try one tomorrow just because I've never had it and need a baseline

18. black13

black13 Apr 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

19. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

For what it's worth, Firestone Walker says this of Parabola, §ucaba, and Double DBA: "Storing in a dark place at or below 40F will allow them to best age for several years."

I keep all my FW beers in the beer fridge at around 38°F. Haven't really noticed much of a change yet, they just stay delicious. I've still got about a half-dozen each of 2011 and 2012 Parabola, just picked up a couple 2013s and I'll likely buy a few more over the next few weeks.

maximum12 likes this.
  20. Uncleserg

Uncleserg Sep 19, 2009 California

I usually buy about 4 bottles. Share one with a friend and age the rest. Opened a 2010 Parabola for New Years and it was very good. I have Parabola on tap every year and its always hot which it fine but the time I gave this 2010 bottle helped refine the edges. If your a baller and could buy a case go for it but I recommend buying at least 3 bottles to age. Cheers! :cool:

21. sukwonee

sukwonee Dec 13, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

From my experience, Parabola tastes best at about 6 months although it tastes great as well.

I hope to pick up some 2013 and my plan is to consume them this winter.

22. atomic

atomic Sep 22, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Bought two, but luckily didn't have to open either of them to taste it fresh, as a friend shared his. Glad he did because I didn't much enjoy it fresh. I'll probably open one up sometime in the fall.

23. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Not to be unhelpful, but the truth is this beer is probably the best stout in the world and drinks deliciously "fresh", with a few months, with a year, and even with 3 years. We cracked one from the first batch this past winter and it was stupid f***ing good.

24. brureview

brureview Jan 20, 2012 Massachusetts

I have been cellaring my bottle for a year. Any comparisons with fresh?

25. HighWine

HighWine Dec 11, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I had a bottle of batch 1 that I forgot I had in my cellar and drank it a year after I got it. I liked it so much that I got a bottle of batch 2 when it came out and drank it after a month or two. Lots of people like it fresh but for me the aged bottle was one of the best beers I had had at the time. Creamy, smooth, and reminded me of a sweet Vietnamese coffee. FWIW I didn't get the same complexity fresh and haven't had the patience to age any bottles longer than a year!

brureview likes this.
  26. nsheehan

nsheehan Jul 3, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

I have 6 and plan to drink 1 per year. Had it fresh on tap twice this month (thanks ACBW!), and 2012 from bottle. 2013 fresh was too hot but I bet it'll age nicely in 6+ months. I think 1 year is safe to start popping bottles. Superbowl 2014 at the earliest. 2012 was extremely good. It helps that my friend in CA currently possesses all of my Parabola.

27. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Nov 4, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

8 more hours.

2beerdogs likes this.
  28. RStang13

RStang13 Jun 22, 2011 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

for what its worth, i'm usually able to grab 5 or 6 a year. cracked this on easter and its the best i've had so far.
    [​IMG]

29. JulianB

JulianB Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

I had 12 and 13 side-by-side at Barrelworks and definitely preferred the 12, although the 13 was great too. The 12 tasted richer with more balance, while the 13 was a tad hot and bourbon boozy. I think it's going to hit its prime in 6-12 months.

nsheehan likes this.
  30. Kreko7

Kreko7 Mar 5, 2013 California

I buy as much as possible and drink one every 3 months! Awesome stuff

31. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Jan 31, 2005 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Not my favorite batch so far, but don't get me wrong, it's still damn good.

32. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Nov 4, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

This seemed to be a good call. I thought it was pretty mellow for a fresh batch. I did prefer the '12 vintage fresh but its still an amazing stout.

2beerdogs likes this.
  33. stx00lax

stx00lax Dec 27, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

Ill agree. '12 is better with '11 being my favorite of all the batches, fresh or with age. This years batch has a strong roasty/oaky quality similar to abyss. Either way, its kind of like a piece of pizza. Even when its bad, its still kinda good. (edit: i still like this years batch)

2beerdogs likes this.
  34. Phacoman

Phacoman Jun 26, 2011 Pennsylvania

I was lucky enough to get a single bottle of parabola a couple days ago. From what I've read on here, it ages beautifully. Since I only have one bottle, what would you guys recommend....drink soon or cellar it?

Thanks.

35. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Aug 1, 2012 New York

You'll know when the time is right:)

36. Demer

Demer Dec 13, 2010 New Jersey

Drink it fresh then you have a baseline to see how it ages if you ever get the opportunity to try another.

Dtapeski likes this.
  37. onefalsemove711

onefalsemove711 Jul 20, 2011 California

2013 is drinking beautifully right now. Go for it! Cheers!

38. kdb150

kdb150 Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

It all depends. Parabola ages well for a couple of years, but does not retain much of its barrel characteristics. So, if you want to drink a bourbon-barrel stout, drink it soon. If you want to drink a 2 year old (excellent) RIS with minimal bourbon barrel characteristics, then wait that long.

My personal opinion is that it is silly to buy a barrel-aged beer and then wait to drink it until after all of the barrel characteristics are gone. Just because something tastes good with age doesn't mean that it's a good idea to age it, something that seems lost on a lot of people. Parabola is brewed specifically to highlight the characteristics of the various barrels that it is aged in. Waiting until those characteristics are gone kind of defeats the purpose of drinking it.

39. stouts4me

stouts4me Oct 9, 2011 Illinois

Lucky enough, you must have hoarders or light distribution, I see it a lot out here, drink it know, and if you want to age one, hit we up and I'll get you one to age, maybe for some fresh Head Hunter IPA ?

40. litheum94

litheum94 Dec 29, 2008 California

Drink it. I just opened a bottle from the first release, and while it held up well, I didn't think it gained that much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe