2013 Sixpoint Apollo question on taste

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Giantspace, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giantspace

Giantspace Zealot (503) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Howdy

I was looking forward to this beer this year. I picked some up after work yesterday.

I had this beer last year and it was

Crisp
    Tart
    Refreshing

The can I have now best before 29 July 2013

No tart at all
    Very little carbonation
    Buttery bubble gum taste and smell

Is the 2013 bad or the 2012 a different recipe? I really do not like this years batch. Anyone else taste this or am I nuts?

Thanx

Enjoy

2. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (2,521) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I know a few distributors have pulled the most recent batch. I tried one the other day and thought it was different than last year, but just fine. It did have a different, almost musty nose, but there was a lot of bubblegum flavor.

3. channels321

channels321 Initiate (124) Apr 16, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I actually get a lot of banana in it, first year I have tried it so nothing to compare it to.

4. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Poo-Bah (3,282) May 15, 2009 Pennsylvania

From my 2012 review
    "Fizzy and light with mostly clove spice twang then a touch of sweet like banana malt and ends with a mild bit of sweet citrus hops. The taste is actually quite good with carbonation giving it a lighter feel"

So no I didn't get any tart flavors mostly what channels321 said. Banana, sweet malts, and hops.

5. DrunkethWizard

DrunkethWizard Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 California

I never had 2012, but the four pack I bought is just like you describe, though a little bit tart (very llight). This is really a strange beer, though it's incredibly drinkable and just flows down the gullet. That's probably due to it being a bit oily and because the carbonation that fizzles out upon pouring it, leaving it flat feeling. I don't necessarily dislike this beer, as I've had far worse beers that taste like chewing on my old Skeletor's rubbery dome while smoking cigarettes behind a rusty shed. But while this one isn't incredibly offensive, I'm all done after I drink the last can. I also noticed that a lot of people online really aren't into this at all, especially the chicks.

6. greybeardloon

greybeardloon Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2011 Rhode Island

I recall it getting tarter over time last year, with the tartness being very subtle at the beginning of the summer. Or maybe I just focused on it more as I drank it more. That said, I didn't enjoy it as much this year as I remember enjoying it last year. It reminds me a bit of rotten bananas this year.

7. Nrcost2

Nrcost2 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2010 Kentucky

Loved this beer last summer. Picked up a new 4 pack yesterday and it tastes like buttery bananas and thats about it.

8. VTMoondog

VTMoondog Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Vermont

I 've never had it before this year. Both my wife and I like the clovey, bubblegum flavor.

9. rc51sport

rc51sport Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2013 North Carolina

Had it on tap a couple months ago. Tasted fine. Didn't have last years so nothing to compare to. The one I had was crisp and well carbonated. Also strong banana flavor with some bubblegum.

10. geekrot

geekrot Initiate (0) May 24, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I loved it last year, dont really like it this year. Not sure if thats worth anything to you though. Bought a case last year, bought one pack this year. It will be my last this year.

11. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (1,770) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I remember there being problems with consistency last year.
    I really enjoyed it last year.
    Looking forward to trying it again this year but haven't seen it yet.

12. eachnotesecure

eachnotesecure Initiate (132) Feb 17, 2011 Ohio

Inconsistent? Shouldn't be a surprise from a contract brewer. I agree about this year being different. Last year it was a great mix of tart and refreshment with some banana added. This year, it's like banana bubblegum.

cavedave likes this.
  13. Zbyler

Zbyler Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2013 Connecticut

I had it this year for the first time and I thought it was awful. Had it on tap at Plan B in Orange, CT. Flat, extremely light, no flavor, watery wheat bread tasting. Was not a fan after hearing some relatively good things about it. Worst Sixpoint beer I have tried.

14. sjc83

sjc83 Initiate (152) Apr 4, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I know for a fact it was pulled from the shelves in Cleveland was with the rep last night, I saw him pull it from the shelves.

15. Darklight

Darklight Aspirant (241) Jun 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Did he say why it was being pulled?

16. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (2,941) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Glad to stumble upon this post. New to Apollo this year, but a local bar had some cans the other night, and having enjoyed Sixpoint's other offerings, I figured I'd give it a try.

Blech... Watery, tinny, some tinge of tartness and wheat - but closer to flavorless than anything else. Left it behind on the bar.

But I held off on any firm judgments because...
    1) I had already had some great hoppy D/IPAs (and food, and Scotch... lol) at a previous bar, so my taste may have been dampened, and 2) I had no idea what kind of beer it was supposed to be (kristalweizen, apparently - a style I'd never even heard of), and 3) I wanted to give it a second try before posting what would have been negative review.

So now I'm reading maybe it was a less-than-exemplary year for the beer, and I'm glad I held off on posting anything. I think I want to taste Weihenstephaner's (the godfather of all beers German) take on the style first, and then come back to Sixpoint - maybe next year, from what I'm reading.

Thanks for the info, folks!

17. dougfur

dougfur Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2011 New York

Tried it for the first time this Spring. Worst beer I've ever had. I figured it just wasn't a style that I liked, but perhaps it was more than that.

18. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,789) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

“Inconsistent? Shouldn't be a surprise from a contract brewer.”

I totally agree that Sixpoint beers brewed at the contract brewer (Lion Brewery in Wilkes-Barre, PA) are continually inconsistent. Having stated that, having a beer contract brewed at another brewery does not have to be inconsistent. I have had many Southampton beers that have been contract brewed at multiple contract breweries (Sly Fox Brewery, Olde Saratoga Brewery, City Brewing (the former Rolling Rock brewery in Latrobe, PA), etc.) and all of those Southampton beers have been quality (consistent) beers.

For some reason (which I don’t understand) the Sixpoint/Lion Brewery relationship results in inconsistent beers (from batch to batch and year to year).

Cheers!

Providence likes this.
  19. Chugs13

Chugs13 Zealot (599) Dec 11, 2011 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I had this beer last year and loved it, had it this year and it is just as I remember it. Very slight tartness, nice banana and clove, and lots of bubblegum which I love. Nice and refreshing for the summer.

20. JoeSpartaNJ

JoeSpartaNJ Initiate (180) Feb 5, 2008 New Jersey

I too have found Sixpoint beers, every single canned offering I have tried, too all be inconsistent. Even in the same 4-pack. I will still try their beers if offered to me but I won't voluntarily purchase them again.

It's a shame too. When they were keg only, I loved them.

21. JackHorzempa

Supporter

“Even in the same 4-pack.” This is exactly what happened to me last year with Apollo! I bought a 4-pack from a beer store which had his beer refrigerated. I had the beer home in less than 20 minutes and immediately put it in my refrigerator. The first two beers were tasty and pleasant. The Last two beers (which were consumed in July; the can had a best by date of late September) were not good. I actually dumped the last (4th) Apollo.

“When they were keg only, I loved them.” Me too! I still buy Sixpoint beer but only the beers that are not brewed at the Lion Brewery; any Sixpoint beer brand that is available in cans is brewed the Lion Brewery – both cans and draft of that brand.

It is a real shame. Sixpoint Brewery used to be a quality brewery that consistently made good beer.

Cheers!

22. sjc83

sjc83 Initiate (152) Apr 4, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Yes be used a term that began with the letter M I can't recall they said it was too "buttery"

Sam

23. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (596) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Wow...well he can pull the rest of their stuff, Sixpoint completely underwhelmed me on all that I have tried. Not bad, but the build up left me with high hopes & the product left me as bitter & boring as the aftertaste. Sorry guys, not a fan of their 2 dimensional offerings. A big ole...MEH for me.

cavedave likes this.
  24. JackHorzempa

Supporter

I would recommend that if you can find a Sixpoint on draft that isn’t brewed at the Lion Brewery (all of the Sixpoint brands that are available in cans are brewed at the Lion Brewery; both cans and draft of those brands) you should give it a try. The Sixpoint beers that are brewed at the Sixpoint Brewery in Brooklyn are quite good!

Cheers!

25. Mug56

Mug56 Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2010 Connecticut

I loved this beer last year. Easily bought about 2 cases, because I am a big beach drinker and it was my main go to beer. Had it this year and thought it was awful. It didn't even come close to the crisp, freshing, tart flavor that it had last year. This year it tasted almost metallic and I also got that bubble gum flavor that wasn't there last year, but not in a good way. More like my bubble gum has an aftertaste like pennies way.

26. jampics2

jampics2 Meyvn (1,457) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Suxpoint, the diacetyl kings of craft beer, strike again! Most inconsistent brewery I've ever had beer from. Not surprising, considering they contract with Lion (AKA the butter factory).

27. JackHorzempa

Supporter

Do you happen to know why the Sixpoint beers brewed at the Lion Brewery are so inconsistent?

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.