2014 Bourbon Barrel Temptress

Discussion in 'US - South' started by UtisTheLaw, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Initiate (170) Jul 26, 2012 Texas

What do people think that have tried it on draft so far? Any insights on where to get bottles? Thanks.

2. greg__h

greg__h Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2014 Texas

Anybody seen this popping up in stores yet today?

3. Techichi

Techichi Zealot (538) Sep 25, 2012 Texas

I missed out on this last year. Really hope I run into it.

4. unknownfy24

unknownfy24 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2013 Texas

Had it at the brewery on Saturday and thought it was great. I could really pick out all the different flavors that went into it.

UtisTheLaw likes this.
  5. saint0r

saint0r Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2013 Texas

the line looked redonk

ATA1K likes this.
  6. army01

army01 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2011 Texas

Agreed. Ragonk even.

jkn09, Looter, elchicodelgado and 3 others like this.
  7. saint0r

i didnt fix in time. :slight_frown:

Fail

Looter likes this.
  8. WTKeene

WTKeene Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2013 New Mexico

The brewers told me they estimated the turnout on Saturday at about 600-700 people. The 2013 on draft I personally thought was drinking better, but the 2014 was really bourbon forward.

For bottles, apparently CM Plano got some today, most stores in Dallas-proper it seems are getting them on Tuesday/Wednesday.

aubzachsyd likes this.
  9. Indytruks138

Indytruks138 Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2013 Texas

I agree with everything said, 2014 is more bourbon/oak forward right now, but that would be expected. 2013 was drinking great, and I think I liked it more, but a year does good things to these beers. I would not hesitate to buy 2014.

10. PatrickInAustinTx

PatrickInAustinTx Devotee (405) Nov 16, 2013 Texas
    Trader

I've only had '13 but its one of the best if not THE best BA stout in Texas IMO. Very under rated. Can't wait for these new bottles. Love the bottle art and the boxes too.

darthvohn likes this.
  11. spaceman24

spaceman24 Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2008 Texas

I got a bottle at Central today. Fairly steady stream of people looking for it, but not a crazy rush. You should be able to find a bottle if you go out.

Had 14 at the release on Saturday and it is damn good.

12. Shieldski

Shieldski Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2014 Texas

I thought the '13 was drinking better as well, but the '14 was nothing to sneeze at. Amazing turnout and was pretty cool to hear that Lakewood is moving next door and increasing their production 10x.

13. Abbbp

Abbbp Crusader (743) Mar 9, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Lol greatness!

Looter likes this.
  14. Abbbp

Trader

Whole Foods Addison had some cases, limit 2pp, sold out by 12:30, they possibly didn't have a clue? But I got me some chocolate covered pretzels! :astonished:

Latest I've heard is Whole Foods Park Lane is selling there's at 2
    Central Market Lovers maybe today, but if not Friday
    Specs Wednesday

Central Market Southlake has gotten theirs in, don't know limits or amounts received at any of the places. Happy hunting my peoples

15. Indytruks138

They had 9 cases at WF Addison and like @Abbbp said they sold out quickly, before my wife could get there on her lunch break. Even at double production this may still be a s-show.

16. Abbbp

Trader

9 cases?!?! The shit show is in full mothereffing effect- I mean its Tuesday for God's sake people. That being said very happy for LakeW├╝d

Edit: CM Lovers is today, 1pp,looks like they have plenty.

17. unknownfy24

unknownfy24 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2013 Texas

I just picked 1 up at WF Park Lane. They were giving away free samples in line. 1 per and he said they got 8 cases.

18. Indytruks138

I hate working by the airport and not being able to go anywhere during the day. I haven't heard anythign about lonestar, kegs & barrels, or s & k, I can try central market plano on my way home but I've never gotten a limited bottle from them.

19. Northtexan

Northtexan Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Texas
    Deactivated

Anyone know if this has hit Halls? I haven't had a chance to look today.

20. lurey1978

lurey1978 Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2014 Texas

Hasn't hit Halls yet

21. Krumb

Krumb Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2008 Texas

You should call and ask...

@puddledynamics

:sunglasses:

22. puddledynamics

puddledynamics Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Texas

Or message me....just saying. Also check the FB. If it's not posted (especially a release this big)it's not at the store yet.

saint0r and Krumb like this.
  23. Krumb

Krumb Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2008 Texas

My attempt at humor may have bombed.

But yea...if he hasn't posted it on FB, it's not there yet.

puddledynamics likes this.
  24. ATA1K

ATA1K Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2013 Texas

Couple of thoughts on my experience

-Even though they made twice as much, it seems the places that had it last year, didnt get any more. And most limits seemed '1 per' this year, vs '2 per' last year. So I guess it was just spread out to more stores. Wish I knew which ones.

-Since Andrews is distributing, the days that stores are getting it is really spread out.

-Ive been a little down on Lakewoods recent releases, but I thought this tastes as great as ever. Fantastic job.

-I dont understand why Rahr would release their BBWW next to BBT, at Whole Foods Lakewood today. Side by side, I thought the BBWW was watery with zero barrel... Both had cool glasses though.

Good luck hunting, its worth it.

25. army01

Las Colinas Beverage?

26. army01

Damn it...so it's thin again this year....at $15/bottle? Rahr is not doing themselves any favors.

27. ATA1K

ATA1K Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2013 Texas

I took a sip of BBT first... Maybe it's better on its own.

I kept taking sips, trying to make sure I had an open mind and really thought about the flavors. But I poured the 90% full glass out after I finished the BBT. Mainly because of the drive home though.

28. Indytruks138

I have boycotted that store, manager/owner pissed me off and I decided I'd rather miss on a beer than give that guy money.

29. voytek

voytek Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2013 Texas

Same here, They make up prices on spot.

30. Indytruks138

They will also tell you they have a beer but won't sell it to you b/c they are holding it for people on their beer of the month club. I am fine holding beers but don't tell me yeah I have it but you can't buy it....especially when you sold it to my friend 5 minutes earlier.

UtisTheLaw and ATA1K like this.
  31. Tommo

Tommo Champion (888) Sep 25, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Specs walnut hill had BBT. All gone by 11:40am. Think they said they had 12 cases. 1pp. Wild

32. WhiteRock

WhiteRock Initiate (0) May 23, 2013 Texas

Glad I got my bottle already, sounds like this one is going fast.

33. mattisloco

mattisloco Disciple (301) Feb 13, 2007 Texas

I still don't miss the chase.

Last years was worth the chase to me. This year's bourbon just isn't doing it for me... I forget the barrel used/difference.

#back-to-lurkerville

RustyP and Krumb like this.
  34. Techichi

Techichi Zealot (538) Sep 25, 2012 Texas

I heard it got pretty ridiculous over this one. People paying $30 a bottle. What? LMAO

Just tried it myself...I don't get it, but then again I'm not a milk stout fan. What a boring, 1 dimensional style. The bourbon was nice, but didn't make it great for me. Damn sure isn't worth a chase (or what used to be the chase before Facebook ruined it).

Rant over...

35. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 Texas

I had it too, it's quite thin. I was not impressed and had hoped they learned from last year's debacle, but I guess not and it's unfortunate.

saint0r likes this.
  36. Smithrob9999

Smithrob9999 Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2011 Texas

I'm holding off on this even though I think it will be fairly easy to get.

1. BBT, it was okay but a little thin and low on flavor. I think we might give this a little higher marks as its a local brewery, plus I'm not huge on milk stouts.

2. Regarding BA Winter Warmer, is this beer going downhill or has my palate changed. The 1st time I had this it blew my mind, I remember waiting for a keg at T&P years ago. It was quite an event with people waiting in line for an 8oz pour. I thought it had great barrel character and was such a perfect beer. Now it sits on the shelf for 8 months.

My thoughts on Winter Warmer came back before I was way into craft beer and before I'd even tried BCBS or any of the other "big beers"

I compare everything now to BCBS both in price and taste. Considering some of these bombers are substantially more expensive it's hard for me to pull the trigger. I also wonder how long it was aged for. I think Winter Warmer is aged only 3 months and Tempress is 6 months I believe.

37. saint0r

BBWW is aged for 10 weeks then probably blended with regular WW

38. mindswoop

mindswoop Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 Texas

They jacked the price by like +60% last year...that's why it sits. I think it's taste has gone downhill as well.

StArnoldFan likes this.
  39. spaceman24

spaceman24 Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2008 Texas

There's still plenty of bottles of 2013 BBWW on the shelf at the Spec's near me. If they marked it down to about $6 I might snag another bottle. I got one last year and it was possibly the most overpriced beer I've ever had. I like a lot of their other stuff, but the WW was a joke.

Comparing to BCBS is basically what I do, too. I disagree on Temptress - I think it's delicious. But I also probably do hold it in slightly higher regard because it's local. However, last year I preferred it to Prairie's Coffee and Vanilla Noir as well as Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Stout, so I don't think I'm overrating it too much.

ATA1K likes this.
  40. saint0r

when BBT is 5 bucks cheaper? Yes please.

tjmodica and ATA1K like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.