2015 Double Bastard Ale and Arrogant Bastard Box Unleashed Nationwide

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Oct 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,659) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

ESCONDIDO, CA (Oct. 26, 2015) – It’s far from every day that something of this grandeur is unleashed into the world. Few possess the capacity to appreciate the exemplary magnitude of what has become infamously known as “Liquid Arrogance.” Rather than be wasted on the tentative or weak as an everyday offering, Double Bastard Ale graces Earth’s presence for but a finite period of time each year. That glorious window begins today.

Originally birthed to sanctify the first anniversary of Arrogant Bastard Ale, Double Bastard Ale was unleashed upon the earth in November 1998 and has since returned only once a year. “Warning: This is one lacerative muther of a beer. It is unequivocally certain that your palate is grossly inadequate and thus undeserving of this liquid glory...and those around you would have little desire to listen to your resultant whimpering caused by Double Bastard Ale.”

What’s that, you say? You can handle more than one Bastard? Although doubtful, enter the Arrogant Bastard Box, as if one could ever adequately grasp such concentrated ecstasy.

While trudging through the mundane selection on store shelves, you start to experience an inner feeling of emptiness. Then, there they are… taunting you from within their immaculate box: Arrogant Bastard Ale, 2015 Double Bastard Ale, the revered OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale, and the first-ever appearance of 2015 DEPTH-CHARGED Double Bastard Ale. They represent the highest order of possibility, hope and redemption. Or at any rate, something that is more tasteful than the lowest-common-denominator “beer” that for so long has defined America’s brewing heritage. One Bastard in particular is making a triumphant return—OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale—spawned from the same abundant arrogance as its notorious counterpart and aged on American oak chips.

Now, we sense your interest has been sparked by the more pristine title “2015 DEPTH-CHARGED Double Bastard Ale,” perhaps because you’re really into espresso. Nothing wrong there, but we suggest getting your cinnamon mochaccino fix elsewhere. This is strictly for adult women and men who don’t require sticking out their pinky finger to rest on the culinary crutch of added sweeteners and fat. Expect a bold, brave, java-infused incarnation of Double Bastard Ale, one that’s only appearing with its Liquid Arrogance brethren in the Arrogant Bastard Box.

Those who aspire to experience 2015 Double Bastard Ale, the Arrogant Bastard Box and other of these most highly coveted ales can do so using Arrogant Bastard Beer Finder: http://find.arrogantbastard.com

About Arrogant Bastard Brewing Co.
    Since Arrogant Bastard Ale was first unleashed upon the unsuspecting public in 1997, the brand has been braving bold territory, and upsetting dandies, milquetoasts and fizzy yellow beer drinkers in great numbers. Massively successful, and ever full of vip and vinegar, Arrogant Bastard Ale split off from the restrictive confines of the Stone Brewing Co. in 2015. And now, the brethren of Liquid Arrogance is free to explore, cavort and roam how they damn well see fit. For those Worthy few that wish to gaze upon the musings of Arrogant Bastard Ale, Double Bastard Ale, Bourbon Barrel-Aged Arrogant Bastard or other Bastard beers, follow along via Facebook, Twitter and http://Arrogantbastard.com

###

2. mackeyse

mackeyse Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2012 New York

I'm not buying this beer simply because of the ridiculously long press release.

3. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,955) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

It's been quite a few years since I've last had a Double Bastard, we do get Stone. Awesome Brew!

Cheers!

Dan_K, RBCORCORAN, Donco and 2 others like this.
  4. Tylertut

Tylertut Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2014 Ohio

As long as the price is what it was last year. I'll pick up a box or two and maybe age one to see what happens.

5. LittleDog

LittleDog Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2014 Texas

I've always heard the phrase "vim and vigor". Tomato Tow-mah-TOE

6. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,511) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

Hoping the box set makes its way to NH this year?

7. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

Made it through the first paragraph then my eyeballs started rolling so much that I couldn't finish the rest :rolling_eyes:

chrismann65, A2HB, jminch and 3 others like this.
  8. Patches826

Patches826 Meyvn (1,244) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society

So Depth-Charged is exclusive to the box set?

9. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

Depth-Charged!!

10. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,321) Jun 4, 2012 Greenland

Double Bastard is still one of my favorite beers.

My question is..I thought it was brewed by Stone..what is Arrogant Bastard Breweing Co.? :wink:

neenerzig likes this.
  11. neurobot01

neurobot01 Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 California

Presumably, as with the bombers of Bourbon Barrel Aged Arrogant Bastard last year. I bought so many of last year's box from Costco... looking forward to doing the same this year!

12. redmagik99

redmagik99 Initiate (0) May 15, 2007 California

why would they make a sub-brand?

13. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Initiate (0) May 27, 2011 Canada (BC)

There are now several different Arrogant Bastard variation and even those "collaborations". Add to the fact that the regular AB is the highest selling bomber in America (meaning it has a relative large market all by itself) one can see why it makes sense to split it into a sub-brand.

Wasatch likes this.
  14. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (7,240) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Didn't a previous press-release imply that they are going to contract-brew it at other breweries?

http://road.arrogantbastard.com/

15. jmdrpi

Society

Yeah, but that's their whole shtick.

Kuaff likes this.
  16. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2006 Ohio

This was the deal of the season last year - $10 around here for 4 bottles. I kept thinking it was a mistake.

Dan_K likes this.
  17. BeerZar

BeerZar Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2014 Ohio

Looking forward to the box release. Not sure about a java-infused Double Bastard, but I'm usually willing to give Stone a chance on most things they do. I love that they do things outside the norm. I try not to take my enjoyment of their liquid arrogance too seriously. Cheers!

18. Buschyfor3

Buschyfor3 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2009 Kentucky

The Depth-Charged Double Bastard sounds intriguing and I think would be worth the price of admission. But I wonder how long before the boxes hit the shelves here and if they will go quickly? I ask because I can still find the previous boxed set with the Bourbon Barrel Bastard at a couple of places... nicely aged by now.

19. BeerCosby

BeerCosby Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2015 Rhode Island

Surely that was, I got it for $24 I think and was still happy since it was basically BA AB for free, but I would have had nothing but this box if it was $10!

And I hope I can find this, only saw it once last year and purchased on site, but never saw it again after that. Depth-Charged sounds interesting, definitely don't mind this becoming a yearly thing with Lukcy and an AB alternative in it rotating.

Never was able to find BA AB 6 packs, maybe I'll hunt those down in anticipation for this.

chrismann65 likes this.
  20. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Initiate (179) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Trader

No one contract brews Arrogant Bastard, he confirms that in that link.

21. neurobot01

Yeah, I don't have any specific information, but I think basically what happened was Stone decided to spin off AB, partially because a lot of casual beer drinkers couldn't parse the name of the brewery from the name of the beer (likely because for most AALs, there's no meaningful distinction there), and partially because the Bastard's brash style didn't quite jive with the tone of the rest of Stone's lineup (see Greg Koch's posts here and here). To commemorate AB spinning off, they sent him "on the road", just as a way to do something fun. All speculation of course, so caveat emptor.

tylerstravis and StoneGreg like this.
  22. StoneGreg

StoneGreg Initiate (0) May 16, 2002 California

That's not speculation. That's dead-on accurate.

23. HunterSBeerson

HunterSBeerson Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2014 California

With the spin off, does that mean the end of Arrogant Bastard in the Stone Mixed 12 packs? I always loved getting Arrogant Bastard in those.

24. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (331) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I didn't make the correlation before but the latest box is the first one without arrogant bastard in it. I also loved getting them in the mixed 12.

25. HunterSBeerson

HunterSBeerson Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2014 California

It looks like Ruination 2.0 might be replacing it as the new flagship under Stone brand. I am going to have a hard time separating Stone and Arrogant Bastard in my mind.

And back on topic, I am really looking forward to Depth Charged Double Bastard. Double Bastard is one of my all time favorites, and I have always been a huge fan of coffee beers. This should be good!

creepinjeeper and jageraholic like this.
  26. jmdrpi

Society

27. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri

Just picked mine up this morning, fresh off the truck. At 21.99, it's a bargain for such quality beers; especially for those of us that haven't been in the presence of such "arrogance". (Yes, I have yet to try Arrogant Bastard. :astonished::slight_frown:)

28. glass_house

glass_house Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2014 Ohio

$19.99 here in NE Ohio. Can't imagine there are many better deals to be had, especially in bombers.

#28 glass_house, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  29. chrisjws

chrisjws Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 California

Got the Bastard Box at Costco for $14.99 last year. That price was a straight up steal. $3.75 per bomber of one of my favorite beers ever? Hell yes.

30. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

31. jmdrpi

Society

Yeah, I later acknowledged this a couple of posts later. The initial press release was just very vague due to the Arrogant Bastard schtick.

Also for future reference- you can direct link to a specific post in a thread, just click on the #88 and it gives you a direct link.

drtth likes this.
  32. neurobot01

Just had the Depth-Charged Double Bastard. The worst thing I can say about it is that it might not be the best new (to me) beer of 2015. Out of hundreds of beers. And only might not. I will be buying probably a dozen of these boxes. I think if I had to choose one beer to drink for the rest of my life, this would be it.

#32 neurobot01, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  33. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,321) Jun 4, 2012 Greenland

While I am a fan of all these beers, I REALLY hope somewhere around here puts out a single of the Depth Charged

34. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2012 Illinois

I used to buy a lot of Stone beer.
    I've spent maybe $20 in Stone in the last year and a half after they started an indiegogo (an online crowdfunding site) for a new Stone brewery overseas . They're a multi million dollar company and they were asking their consumers to fund a brewery overseas . And the "gifts" for helping them with cash were just ridiculous.

Ideally, I buy no more Stone beer. There are many other great breweries who don't ask their fans to fund overseas breweries.

35. Kuaff

Kuaff Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2013 Alaska

Kome here kuickly... Kuaff wanna kuaff you bastids.

36. neurobot01

Or, you could look at it as Stone giving fans a way of feeling like they had some sort of stake in something that, monetarily, you're right was going to happen either way. And giving those fans access to exclusive beers at reasonable prices to boot.

37. StoneGreg

Here's the truth about that (should you be interested):

38. neurobot01

I wonder if @StoneGreg has any opinion how Depth-Charged will hold up to age? Also, I sure hope some is socked away in some rye whiskey barrels (though I could see peaty Scotch or rum as well).

Eduk8traz likes this.
  39. StoneGreg

Here's my answer: I don't know. It's the first time we've made that beer. (By "we" I mean the Arrogant Bastard Ale Brewing Co of course.)

What we do know: Double Bastard Ale has historically aged quite well. Coffee beers that we've made that have not been focused on hops (such as Dayman) have also aged quite well.

Triangulated guess: Depth Charged Double Bastard Ale should be quite cellarable.

Question for you though. Why age? Why not just drink? The reasons for aging might be 1) thinking it'll get better, or 2) targeting some future special occasion. I guess it could be 3) cellaring for the specific reason of collecting, with no particular focus on when or if it will get drunk.

Actually, I principally age for 4) because I have too damn many 'big' beers and can't drink them all, and tend to prefer them from "time to time" rather than as my "everyday" styles (which tend to be IPAs and sub-8%abv styles), so the big age-able styles tend to gather and gather.

What's your reason(s)?

Dan_K, neenerzig, Bnoise11 and 14 others like this.
  40. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (914) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

For me, its mostly #4, occasionally #1 ( i.e. Enjoy After 10/31/15, which I should open soon )

Only have one bottle of Depth-Charged on hand. It definitely won't survive long enough to be aged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.