2015 Double Bastard Ale and Arrogant Bastard Box Unleashed Nationwide

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Oct 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

definitely a mix of numbers 4 and 2. Some of my favorite beers are once a year, brewery only releases, so I might buy 6-8 to last me through the year. Then add in the logic-defying fact that the biggest beers tend to come in the biggest bottles, and I end up with more beers than I have time/ability to drink. I have definitely noticed and appreciate that Stone seems to be making a steady move away from bombers and towards 12 oz bottles, thanks for that!

jakecattleco and foundersfan1 like this.
  2. CMLinder

CMLinder Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2015 Wisconsin

I just wish they would resume distribution in WI again... :slight_frown: Yes, there are plenty of quality breweries up here, but Oaked Arrogant Bastard was the beer that sent me down the craft rabbit hole, and I miss not being able to pick up Stone's offerings without having to make a special trip to other states.

foundersfan1 and bigthirst like this.
  3. neurobot01

neurobot01 Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 California

Little bits of 1, 3, and 4: having had experience with regular DB aged (just had a 2014 within the past week, actually), I know that good things can happen with that beer with age. I also have a small feeling of dread at the prospect of drinking my last bottle of any beer (though I do so somewhat regularly). And I've got a backlog of other must-drink-now stuff. But believe you me, I'll be drinking a few more of these fresh. Already picked up 7, contemplating more.

foundersfan1 likes this.
  4. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

Haha, Definatly #4, replace "age" with "hoard". Sounds accurate.

neenerzig, Jaycase and foundersfan1 like this.
  5. Beers-es

Beers-es Champion (896) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

I liked the press release...but then I'm a copywriter.

6. lewisti

lewisti Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2001 Connecticut

too had they didn't put Lucky Bastard in there instead of straight AB that version was really good

TongoRad and Boomblaze like this.
  7. neurobot01

As long as you don't mind feeling like shit tomorrow, buy the box and you can make your own version (since it's just a blend of AB, Oaked AB, and DB, in some proportion). Here's how:
    1. Get an empty 2-liter, write "Lckuy Brtsaad" on it (to avoid confusion / copyright issues).
    2. Pour in your bombers of Arrogant Bastard, Oaked Arrogant Bastard, and Double Bastard.
    3. Party!
    4. As a bonus, enjoy Depth-Charged Double Bastard as a hair of the dog tomorrow.

8. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,465) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Just grabbed two at Costco for $18.

creepinjeeper and chrismann65 like this.
  9. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,948) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

No, just bought a bomber of it.

Cheers!

10. TheHopsman

TheHopsman Defender (634) Apr 7, 2015 Nebraska
    Trader

I was pretty excited to hear about Depth-Charged and the OAKED Arrogant Bastard this year but the fact that they are only available in the Bastard-Box is major downer for me. The warnings for Double Bastard state its not for the faint of heart blah blah... and I've had Double Bastard and Arrogant Bastard and they're fine but why do I HAVE TO buy these 2 bottles to get the 2 bottles that I want? I'm all in for things like this most times but not in this instance. I've got beers sitting around waiting for their tops to be popped, I definitely don't need 2 more I wasn't interested in from the get go. I must be the only one.

11. IckyT2012

IckyT2012 Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2014 Florida

I've been hunting double bastard for a while. I was also a little disappointed that I had to buy the whole box to get but, but I figured I usually spend more at a trip to the bar. The depth charged was the bonus. I wouldn't buy the whole box again, but I'm glad I got to try these 2.

12. Wasatch

Society Trader

Also picked these up from Stone:

Southern Charred
    Double Bastard In The Rye

Cheers!

jakecattleco likes this.
  13. BriantheBeerGeek

BriantheBeerGeek Initiate (0) May 26, 2013 Pennsylvania

Greg, what about an Oaked Double Bastard? ( I know Southern Charred is technically oaked, I mean oaked w/o the barrel.)

14. Wasatch

Society Trader

Not sure what you mean by "w/o the barrel"? It's bourbon barrel aged.

Cheers!

BriantheBeerGeek likes this.
  15. Ipaupaweallpa

Finally, a way to get fresh arrogant bastard.!! Picked up a box today $25 in Alabama. But, comes with the 11% double and double depth charged. That to me here would have already been $12 a bomber. This fresh regular arrogant bastard (bottled 10/22) is so Damn good.

16. Rodney221

Rodney221 Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2014 Virginia

Except they dry hopped the crap out of Lukcy so it wasn't quite the same experience.

17. BriantheBeerGeek

I mean oaked w/o the bourbon. Like oaked bastard, only oaked Double Bastard.

Wasatch likes this.
  18. Wasatch

Society Trader

So, basically put into new barrel's?

Cheers!

BriantheBeerGeek likes this.
  19. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,465) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Double Bastard is typically sold as singles. Have yet to see Depth Charged sold outside of the box set.

20. Wasatch

Society Trader

The four I bought yesterday, came in bombers and 750mls all sold as singles.

Cheers!

jakecattleco likes this.
  21. readyski

readyski Aspirant (269) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Yup we'll call it 2.5/4 unique
    I do like how whereas the oaked smooths the AB, the depth charge does the same with DB.

22. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Initiate (178) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Trader

Oaked Bastard is aged on oak chips not in new barrels.

Dan_K, creepinjeeper and Wasatch like this.
  23. Wasatch

Society Trader

Thanks, did not know that.

Cheers!

creepinjeeper likes this.
  24. BriantheBeerGeek

I guess? How do they oak oaked bastard, with staves, chips or new barrel's?

25. Wasatch

Society Trader

I'm thinking a different way all together. New barrel, new bourbon, then maybe a beer in those barrel's, or a barrel from a previous bourbon, put new brew in these barrel's.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

26. HabaJohn

HabaJohn Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2007 Illinois

The Oaked aged AB realy impressed me, but then I had the Depth-charged DB and I was in heaven. Pure joy.

27. neurobot01

Not part of this box, but just had my first Crime, and... really enjoyed it! Those of you who "get" something like Depth-Charged DB might think about giving Crime a try, particularly if you like spice (though it's really not that spicy at all).

StoneBrewing and StoneGreg like this.
  28. Ipaupaweallpa

The box got me all back into arrogant bastard. Have had it like 3 nights in a row now

StoneBrewing and creepinjeeper like this.
  29. neurobot01

Hard for me to be sure (since I don't have eidetic taste memory), but my sense is that the intense coffee in Depth-Charged is already starting to fade a bit. I'm on my third bottle, and I don't have the feeling of being punched in the face by espresso that I got the first time. I've got another several bottles that I'm planning on pushing out to up to two years, just to see how it continues to evolve. Even if the coffee is fading, it's still drinking amazing, btw.

30. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (845) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Saw the set for $21.99 with a drink by of late March. My boxes I bought a few weeks ago are drink by 1 January. Pretty unimpressed with the oak. Thought the base was far better. Not opened double or depth yet. Been really digging the base Bastard this whole year. It's always super fresh here. Bought the boxes for the depth mostly but at $5.50 a bottle I'm ok.

Enjoy

31. JISurfer

JISurfer Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2002 South Carolina

Released nationwide... except Honolulu, HI. I'm fairly certain we are the only major city that doesn't get Stone.

32. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (110) Aug 21, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

Wow, Depth Charged is amazing. The coffee just puts one of my favorite beers over the top. At $20 a box, it was an amazing deal. I hope Depth Charged DB becomes a semi-regular release.

neurobot01 likes this.
  33. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Initiate (178) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Trader

I was at a grocery store the other day and they had a stack of these boxes marked down to 9.99. I'm assuming it's because they wanted to move them before the enjoy by date arrives next week but at 2.50 a bomber I had to grab a couple more boxes. Double Bastard ages well.

34. beermeplz

beermeplz Aspirant (278) Feb 13, 2015 California

count me as another big fan of the depth charged DB - awesome stuff! had one last night and the coffee is still very strong. going to buy more and see how they age.

neurobot01 likes this.
  35. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (514) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

I wish every place did that. Place nearby pulled all the bombers out and was selling them for $8.99-9.99 each.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.