2015 Sierra Nevada Barrel-Aged Narwhal.

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by raynmoon, Oct 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmicdebris

cosmicdebris Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2008 Connecticut

Got 3 bottles today in CT

2. Jdub2839

Jdub2839 Aspirant (254) Mar 15, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Definitely dont need to age this beer, really no point.

3. DeviousSpirits

DeviousSpirits Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2009 Michigan

Damn it, Michigan! Let's see some!

A2HB and MittenBrews like this.
  4. quinnsi

quinnsi Aspirant (214) Nov 22, 2008 Illinois

It was a pricing error on the distributors end. I thought it was odd too.

JDW4195 likes this.
  5. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

Saw this comment, saw that @creepinjeeper had liked it, and I can't let it go. I MUST KNOW, DAVE.... have you yet consumed this mighty beast of a stout?

creepinjeeper likes this.
  6. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri

N
    Not yet. Very, very soon though ... you'll know.

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  7. NickyDee21

NickyDee21 Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2011 Pennsylvania

Grabbed two bottles last year. Drank one, still have the other. I can say, without a doubt, this is one of the best BBA stouts I've had. IMO, everything just came together so perfectly. Great beer, would love to get more this year, though I will say I'm disappointed they went away from the screen-printed labels (that bottle is possibly my favorite packaging for a beer).

BUICKBILL, mig100 and Briesch like this.
  8. Beer21

Beer21 Zealot (591) Oct 17, 2010 Florida

Question...Is this thread full of poor college aged beer drinkers? I mean really. I know when I was in college I couldn't afford much but you go the extra mile for 2 things... women and beer! Everything else can suffer until the real bills hit when you get a job. Not a bartender job...I mean a job where you actually pay taxes. We are talking a few dollars per bottle. Is that really going to break someones beer drinking fund? Lets have a thread about the beer and not about how much it costs. If you can't afford it then leave it for me and quit whining about the cost. In my opinion of course! And frankly I love the beer!

9. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (967) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Still sitting on a BA bigfoot. Not a huge Narwal fan. Passed on a case of regular today for $51. I still remember when Bigfoot was $44 a case

Enjoy

10. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (5,564) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I just bought one for $17.99. Will have it tomorrow after work. I'll probably buy some more as I really enjoyed it last year.

11. Beer-vortex

Beer-vortex Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2015 Minnesota

Interesting. The two bottles I got here in MSP did have the screen print; not a label (and these were 2015 bottles).

12. mig100

mig100 Meyvn (1,400) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Anyone know when this will arrive in Texas?

13. rden4654

rden4654 Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2014 Ohio

Amen to that the Maple Stout sucked as well. Not even a hint of maple in it I had to blend some of Jackie O's BBBM with it. It was a better BA Stout than the Narwhal though.

14. cam099

cam099 Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2014 Connecticut

If you are in Charlotte, I picked up two at Total Wine (Park Rd) yesterday. They were labeled at $19.99 each but the register tried to screw me at $22/each. Make sure you check before you pay!

15. Crim122

Crim122 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

No i am in Durham. But I have a friend in Charlotte...I'll see what he can do for me lol.

16. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

I was gonna say 'single guy with no kids', but we're both probably right.

17. Crim122

Crim122 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

20 dollars does look expensive. But it's still cheaper than going out.

18. ncusatis

ncusatis Initiate (139) Dec 22, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

Just hit WI, 17.99-19.99,

19. Kjcobus

Kjcobus Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2014 Wisconsin

My sentiments exactly. People need to stop pretending like one $20 bottle of beer is really breaking their beer habits. Like when you go out and buy expensive pours, or hoard other things. I know plenty of people who make 30-40k a year (single and married) who make this hobby work. I know plenty of people in a much higher salary range that do it too. I'm no neurosurgeon salary by any means, but this isn't bad.

Everyone's just whiny because the craft beer market is starting to realize it's price point potential and the kind of profit they can make. Especially on some of these crazy barrel aged annual releases, it costs A LOT to make, tank, barrel (or tank) store, and then produce and release from an ingredients perspective, to holding, to warehousing.

You're not entitled to get beer at only a fraction above cost.

20. Kjcobus

Kjcobus Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2014 Wisconsin

You've contributed nothing to the thread by comparing your preference and price points of three beers not related to the title thread. I award you no points.

BUICKBILL and mrhartounian like this.
  21. SiVisPacem

SiVisPacem Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2015 South Carolina

Did you get yours at the Mt. Pleasant Whole Foods?

22. Jeffreysan

Jeffreysan Savant (912) Apr 12, 2013 Virginia
    Society

I also picked a bottle up for $14.99. Waiting for a nice cold night this winter to crack it open... Or a day that ends in y.

23. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (468) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

Durham got some last year. You'll probably see some this year.

24. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

It will never be "elite" sadly Sierra Nevada has the ability to make enough BBA Narwhal that it will never be rare therefore it will never be "elite".

dm123, Pisthetaerus and SierraTerence like this.
  25. Clap4Beer

Clap4Beer Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2013 New York

Any in Rochester, ny yet? I've seen neither this nor regular narwhal yet. Looking forward to getting some Ba this year.

26. ccg

ccg Devotee (416) May 11, 2015 Virginia
    Trader

Yup. Also, if I'm buying a $20+ bomber of barrel-aged whatever, I'm probably saving it for a bottle share, which is a whole event. I'll end up spending a lot more than $20 if I go *out* to drink with friends.

Then again, I'm typing this while finishing a $16 bomber of barrel-aged coffee stout by myself. Well, it's less than a dollar an ounce, so that's OK, right!?

Kjcobus likes this.
  27. LancetherealLeader

LancetherealLeader Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2013 South Carolina

I did.

28. NateDyk47

NateDyk47 Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2015 Michigan

Incredible beer. Well worth the $20/bottle.

mig100 and dennis3951 like this.
  29. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,199) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I saw a bunch of bottles at my local Total Wine but I just can't bring myself to drop $20 on a bomber anymore, especially when Abyss and FW Anniversary are right around the corner. More for you guys! =)

30. scream

scream Meyvn (1,363) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Prices for everything keep going up. Some go up more and faster than others. The craft beer market has no monopoly on that. I can remember when wine tasting in N. Calif was basically free. That changed years ago. First in Napa and then Sonoma. Napa is still way more expensive. When something hits a price one is not willing to pay some people stop buying it. When enough people stop buying maybe things will change, or people will find other replacements that suit themselves.

I do not buy many of the higher priced beers/ales. The reason being if I think about the price differential it just does not make sense to me. Just because "people" seem to think a particular bottle is what one really needs to seek out does not mean I need to feel that way.

If I were to follow the other philosophy -always wanting more, what is perceived to be the best, I'd still be working instead of retired. It's not just beer it's everything we consume. If it is something that lasts and is not gone tomorrow, paying more for "quality" is much more reasonable. I believe those decrying higher prices should be applauded and not bashed for their unwillingness to pay them.

2Xmd, Jaycase, jarbroen and 1 other person like this.
  31. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,310) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Just passed this up today at Total Wine. Already bought two mix six packs and didn't want to drop another $20. Maybe I'll go back this weekend based on this thread.

32. RichD

RichD Champion (812) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

I thought the 2014 edition was great. However, I don't think I would spend the 20 bucks again for a bottle. Narwhal is one of the better non-barrel aged stouts on the market and I think I would prefer the original over it's BA counter part. Especially since I can grab a 4 pack for about 8-10 dollars less.

33. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Initiate (191) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Trader

Well it's a 750 not a bomber so I think the price is fair especially when they (Sierra Nevada) say the profits from these bottles go right back into their barrel program.

Kjcobus and mig100 like this.
  34. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,199) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Well I didn't know about that last part; sounds like it's going to a good cause and if I had an extra $20 I would certainly buy one. Unfortunately I'm only allowed 1-2 $20 bottles of beer a year. My budget sucks.

35. JFMBearcat

JFMBearcat Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2014 Ohio
    Deactivated

Yeah man. Not rare enough. If you don't have to stand in line or get in a lottery for it, it tastes like garbage.

36. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Deactivated

I don't wish to question SN and their pricing. As a rule, it tends to be great, and very fair. Their High Altitude series, to take one example, is one of the best values around. But Lagunitas put out a comparable (and possibly better) barrel-aged coffee stout for half the price of this one, and FW puts out Parabola (a much better beer) for less. Even my local favorite here in Seattle, a small family-owned operation, makes a better BA stout for less. So, it at least begs the question why a brewer of SN's size has to charge $20+ for BA Narwhal, even in the 750 format. I had it last year, and thought it was good enough. But this year, I've had no trouble passing at all, as I actually prefer the regular, both for taste and certainly for value.

37. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (574) Mar 26, 2013 California

i was disappointed with ba Narwhal last year, and i'm a huge Sierra fan and big Narwhal fan. was eagerly anticipating it. bought 4. still have 3. don't get me wrong it's good, but was expecting more. thought the barrel aspect was way too subtle. not enough barrel.

curious to try this years to see if it's better

38. bobhits

bobhits Meyvn (1,268) Oct 31, 2006 Kentucky

Don't understand the issue. Instead of raising prices they didn't waste money on something you're going to throw away in the trash. It's expensive of by all means if you don't want to pay the extra for it. For me if they added gold and diamonds to the bottle I'd be irate if the price went up.

39. bobhits

bobhits Meyvn (1,268) Oct 31, 2006 Kentucky

Narwall is all barrel aged, right? I know Parabola is a blend. That alone greatly lowers the cost to make. Given the amount produced I'd venture to guess just the spacing for barrels of this is also a huge cost. They bottles are likely way too expensive (which sucks because they are likely charging for the crappy bottle).

As for the quality that's all subjective. I thought it was pretty darn good. I'd rather it be sold in 12 oz bottles that they use for narwal. That would likely lower costs a lot and hopefully lower the price to consumers. Plus it's a better format for a beer like this. Who wants to age 4-5 bottle of 750's when they could do 10 bottles at 12 oz?

40. antilite

antilite Initiate (44) Jan 1, 2012 Florida

I agree, but as long as we keep putting our money down, (and sometimes stand in line at dawn), for the high cost per ounce and impractical bombers, the brewers will gladly fill that demand. (When is Hunahpu day, anyway?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.