2015 Summer of Gose. What are your winners?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, Jul 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. threedaggers

threedaggers Crusader (743) Dec 2, 2013 Kentucky
    Trader

Westbrook is very good, but ritterguts is king

SouthAtholSuds and kkdowning like this.
  2. Bigbadboris

Bigbadboris Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2013 New Jersey

Anderson Valley takes the cake for a second year in a row, although last years seemed much better to me for some reason, this years was damn good in both bottles and cans. @Sixpoint Jammer 1.0 takes second and Kirsch is in 3rd, followed a ways away by the blood orange version of Anderson Valley's gose.
    Unfortunately, I really feel that Jammer 2.0 could have taken the number one spot for me, however despite living roughly an hour from Sixpoint Brewery I never saw any Jammer 2.0.

SCW likes this.
  3. NCMonte

NCMonte Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

I was lucky enough to taste this last year. Amazing!

4. scbeerman

scbeerman Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2015 South Carolina

That was incredibly good as well. I think I rated both that and BBI in the 4.5s, both were exceptional beers I thought and in my top 10 overall. Then again, everything Creature Comforts touches has turned to gold as far as my palate is concerned.

5. NCMonte

NCMonte Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

I had two Anderson Valley's Gose and the Blood Orange, thought the Westbrook was better. The Blood Orange was solid though, my second favorite of the year so far.

6. LightnerLiquorKS

LightnerLiquorKS Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2013 Kansas

Both top notch, if you love westbrooks...give Evil Twin Mission Gose a try. It's brewed at westbrook also! :slight_smile:

singlespeed likes this.
  7. JMH_

JMH_ Poo-Bah (1,883) Feb 24, 2001 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Where in NJ are you @Bigbadboris ? I can point you in the right direction to places that might still have some 6pks floating around.

8. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

So, I hate to be "that guy" but I'd hazard a guess that most of the beers being mentioned here came out prior to 2015, so perhaps 2014 was really the Year Of The Gose? I dunno, not that it really matters.

Anyhoo, I'm a little surprised that Gose Gone Wild doesn't appear to have been mentioned even once (EDIT: it seems to have been mentioned as I was typing this post). It was another 2014 and while it certainly wasn't traditional, I thought it was amazing. Other newish goses of note to me:

Here Gose Nothin'
    Boulevard Hibiscus Gose
    AV Blood Orange Gose

I really need to get around to trying Kirsh Gose now that I'm in Michigan and get Victory distribution, and I've been curious to try Jammer for awhile.

Canada_Dan likes this.
  9. bbowdoin

bbowdoin Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2013 Georgia

I'm very lucky to have Creature Comforts here; I speak with our rep for long periods of time when he comes in every couple of weeks, and right now, they can't keep up with the demand with the space they have when it comes to canning. They now have a split six pack of Athena and Tropicalia! And of course, very fresh. Hope to see the Westbrook Bearded Break In here in Athens; crossing my fingers.

Halluxone likes this.
  10. jlsims04

jlsims04 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois

At the top westbrook, destill, off color, imperial oak. Jammer was the big miss for me.

11. Kylo76

Kylo76 Aspirant (275) Aug 29, 2014 Colorado
    Trader

Westbrook is the best obviously to me, I love AV blood orange when it first came out but after drinking one a week for a month or two I'm really sick of it now.

12. scbeerman

scbeerman Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2015 South Carolina

Yep that's what I have heard from the brewer as well. Apparently they are looking to expand production even further. Incredible to me that a 1 year old brewery with a 30 bbl capacity is so popular that they can't meet local demand. Phenomenal success story!

bbowdoin likes this.
  13. Flounder57

Flounder57 Poo-Bah (2,595) Feb 22, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

In the past month I've had Victory Kirsch Gose, Barreled Souls Rosalita, Rising Tide Gose, and Anderson Valley The K,Y,&tG. Fi liked them all, but Kirsch, Rosalita, and Riding Tide were tasty.

jhavs likes this.
  14. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (3,011) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I've drank a ton of AV blood orange gose this year and am ready for more, what a refresher. Also like the Kimmie, Westbrook Gose, and to a lesser extent, Lost Nation's. Also enjoyed Troublesome, didn't care for Jammer but am looking forward to trying the new iteration, and a quick check of fedex indicates a box of De Garde beers (including Hose) is slated to show up at my office tomorrow!

Almost forgot, that Victory Kirsch Gose is also terrific.

15. Bigbadboris

Im in Somerset County, but im willing to adventure as long as some good beer is at the end of the road.

16. Cmoore8241

Cmoore8241 Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2015 South Carolina

Westbrook gose and Anderson Valley Blood Orange!

17. texaswhiplash

texaswhiplash Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 Pennsylvania

#1 Jammer 2.0
    #2 Victory Kirch
    #3 AV Blood

JMH_ and SCW like this.
  18. crazycatcouple

crazycatcouple Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2015 Arizona

Victory kirsch or odell blackberry gose.

Both quite tasty, but the summer sour for me was dfh festina peche.

19. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

Union Old Pro and Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose. While they didn't "wow" me at all, I thought they sucked less than the rest I've tried.

20. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,102) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Love Gose. Have tried many mentioned in this thread (the others are now on my ISO list) and the winner, hands down, is Lost Nation Gose, perfect thickness, refreshment, balance, and crisp, clean flavor profile. Least enjoyed is the AV Blood Orange, it left a "sweetarty" artificial flavor linger that I didn't like.

bobv likes this.
  21. jcoleMA66

jcoleMA66 Champion (845) May 16, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

I haven't had the opportunity to try lots of Gose, but I'm a big fan of Lost Nation Gose and Schilling's Poppy's Moonship. I've enjoyed those a few times this summer and have a couple more Lost Nation bottles left.

jhavs likes this.
  22. JArt

JArt Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Pennsylvania

Westbrook Gose

23. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,498) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Thanks for the feedback. I'm excited to try the 2.0 based on the BA reviewers input. At least one store on your list only had the old Jammer out on the store floor (as of my Monday visit). Maybe they haven't moved the 2.0 out to the sales floor yet or it was hiding somewhere and I just didn't find it. I'm sure they will start appearing soon. My area shops always seems to be several weeks to over a month behind NJ and PA distributions.

24. JMH_

JMH_ Poo-Bah (1,883) Feb 24, 2001 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Gary's in Bernardsville is your best bet. Joe Canals Lawrenceville, Bottle King East Windsor, Canals and The Grove in Hamilton, Denville Liquors in Denville and Buy Rite Chatham are other options.

Bigbadboris likes this.
  25. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,053) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

I really liked six points Jammer (newest version was an improvement over already pretty good brew).
    Rising Tide Gose out of Portland ME was great, tart and nice balance of salt and spice.
    Lost Nation makes a nice Gose, but my favorite was Lost Nations limited release name The Wind (rated 95).
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/31645/170091/
    Was able to get the wind on tap at bars and for growler fills recently, outstanding gose.

1. The Wind from Lost Nation
    2. Jammer (best by Dec/2015)
    3. Rising Tide Gose
    4. Lost Nation Gose
    5. Westbrook Gose

JMH_ and SCW like this.
  26. Crim122

Crim122 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

Its still Westbrook and Anderson Valley Blood Orange. I have not found any Gose that comes anywhere close to these two. Which is disappointing since they're both hard to find in my area.

27. BranfordBound

BranfordBound Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2010 Connecticut

How about including one of those glasses in the six pack :wink:

Honestly I wouldn't deviate too far from 2.0, it's already a great recipe. The only other thing I could think of is maybe leave it a bit unfiltered, give it some of that characteristic cloudiness and a little more of that flavor from the particulates. Great beer, nonetheless.

SCW likes this.
  28. Cameron_como

Cameron_como Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2015 Missouri

Haven't had many of the "big" ones this year (because Victory/Westbrook/Sixpoint/AV aren't fans of the best coast: the Midwest coast), but I did have 2nd Shift's Green Bird Gose which was quite enjoyable.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  29. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,053) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

I forgot all about Poppy's Moonship, that would definitely be on my list! Just behind Lost Nations The Wind.

jcoleMA66 likes this.
  30. mklisz

mklisz Meyvn (1,166) Dec 31, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Lost Nation - The Wind blew me away.

FrancisT and jhavs like this.
  31. Zonk

Zonk Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2014 New Jersey

Grimm Super Going by a wide margin.

Canada_Dan likes this.
  32. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (4,311) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

Lost Nation "The Wind"

jhavs likes this.
  33. SCW

SCW Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2004 New York

@CleanFiend @SixpointJMH @emilyrosepdx

actually, we believe (and we also believe that many of our customers agree) that our clarity on our Gose provides us a level of distinction. We might go the route of a slight haziness, but the fact that its particulate and sediment free is a huge bonus, we believe. People really don't have any scientific or legitimate reason for keeping a Gose cloudy other than "that's the way it usually is done." That does not mean its necessarily better...it just means you are following the herd. Mad Scientists don't do that.

Brilliant Gose with a beautiful white head on top and effervescent carbonation is a sight to behold. Put that in a can shaped glass and its slammer jammer!

[​IMG]

and here is a photo from @JackHorzempa reinforcing that point

[​IMG]

cavedave, CleanFiend, MUTINY and 2 others like this.
  34. alex_delany

alex_delany Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2015 New York

LOST NATION!!!!!

Cans just hit New York City, and it is a goddamn beautiful thing.

cavedave, bobv and jhavs like this.
  35. twb0392

twb0392 Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Wisconsin

36. Bigbadboris

Thanks, I'll check them out.

37. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Champion (800) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Hose from de Garde was probably the best Gose I've ever had...

38. Chris_M22

Chris_M22 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2014 Texas

Its near impossible to keep up with Westbrook's Gose, but a few honorable mentions are Victory Kirsch Gose, Anderson Valley Blood Orange, and Odell Brombeere.

39. mungbeans

mungbeans Initiate (0) May 27, 2007 Massachusetts

Absolutely.

Canada_Dan likes this.
  40. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (983) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Never saw 1 and still not seeing 2

Enjoy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.