2015 Wet Hop IPA Season

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Andy311x, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beerswag

Beerswag Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2013 California

This beer is memorable for the style...also Leafer Madness( Hop Harvest edition ) very nice.

2. shuntstout

shuntstout Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2010 New Mexico

There is not much left be we are lucky to have the GABF gold medal winner out here!!! Acequia Wet Hop and its delicious!!!

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,870) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Hop Knife was not brewed with wet hops.

Cheers!

Andy311x likes this.
  4. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (242) Mar 28, 2011 New York

yes, read the rest of the thread, now noted.

Hopefully SN Northern Hemisphere Wet Hop comes out this year, really liked it in the past.

5. unhyped

unhyped Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 Oregon

i just want to say that i feel lucky to be living in the NW for fresh hop season:slight_smile:

6. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Champion (812) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

Me too. I write this as I sit at Reuben's in Seattle where they've brewed 2 separate FH beers. That's seems to be a trend in the NW, many breweries are doing multiple fresh hop brews this year and I'm loving it.

Strangestbrewer likes this.
  7. gmoneyproductions

gmoneyproductions Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2015 Colorado

great divide fresh hop is my go to in the fall
    havent had one in 2015 yet but will be on the hunt

tylerstravis likes this.
  8. unhyped

unhyped Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 Oregon

man seriously, even my little neighborhood bottleshop/brewery (uptown) did some incredible fresh hop beers this year.

Strangestbrewer and TheBungyo like this.
  9. scbeerman

scbeerman Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2015 South Carolina

I may be the only one, but I'm looking forward to Terrapin's So Fresh & So Green, Green again this year

TheBungyo likes this.
  10. Strangestbrewer

Strangestbrewer Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2014 Oregon

Breaksides Simcoe and their Mosaic were great. Can't wait to try Cowiche this weekend up in Seattle.

Laruelwood FH Workhorse was on point. FH Free Range Red was ok, but am not high on the non-FH version either.

Hoping FH Pallet Jack/Hop Truck can make an appearance outside of Bakers City/Yakima fresh hop festival.

Killer Red and Killer Green from Double Mountain were good this year too, leaning towards Green this year.

Mazama Green Magic was good, better than Alameda which was also solid.

Base Camp FH Gnar Gnar was a let down, though I'm not to wild about the regular version.

Crux's Cruxarillo and Cruxtennial were winners.

Deschutes FH Mirror Pond was solid per usual, haven't had any of their other 6 options yet.

Ex Novo FH Oktoberfest was surprising too.

Looking foreword to FH Suicide Squeeze by Fort George.

Upright FH Saison was good, which was weird because I haven't been fond of FH English hops for the most part.

There are others, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. I am bummed I haven't found more FH beer of non IPAish styles, we've been increasing over the years and this year seems a little regressed in that respect.

#130 Strangestbrewer, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    tylerstravis likes this.
  11. itsThatBoyE

itsThatBoyE Aspirant (262) Feb 10, 2015 Washington

Where can I find this Crux Mo' Fresh Hop?

12. brewmastercat

brewmastercat Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 California

Deschutes Chasin' Freshies is always one of my favorites!

twb0392 and unhyped like this.
  13. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Champion (812) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

Please bump this thread and let us know how it is.

Bitter_Better likes this.
  14. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

Makes me miss living in PDX... drink one of each for me!

Strangestbrewer likes this.
  15. Strangestbrewer

Strangestbrewer Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2014 Oregon

But I've already drank one+ of all those! Last year I had different 42 fresh hopped beers, don't think I'm going to get that high this year though, I'm only at 20 something and the season is almost over ):

sharpski and tylerstravis like this.
  16. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

There are a couple out in Michigan already. Greenbush Demeter (which I haven't had) and North Peak Hoodoo, which I actually liked pretty well. But I'm guessing Cowiche will still be my favorite after I open one or few this weekend.

In the past I've enjoyed Killer Green and Killer Red (preference to red). I've always wanted to try Logsdon's Fresh Hop Seizoen and the fresh hop from Breakside and FH Workhorse since I like the regular versions so much.

I really need to make a beercaction up to the PNW one of these fresh hop seasons.

17. Bitter_Better

Bitter_Better Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2015 Oregon

Unfiltered FH Simcoe from Breakside...there is no other that tastes like chewing fresh hops w/o the vegetal effect. Gigantic's Sodbusted III: Rise of Simcoe is fantastic. Breakside's FH Mosaic is slightly better, but even as a Wanderlust freak, the FH Cascade was fourth. If you don't live in WA or OR, you really have no idea what a glut means.

18. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,102) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

In my beer fridge.

Not sure if they'll ship any of it to WA. We got their fresh hop beers last year, so maybe?

sharpski likes this.
  19. ElijahSF

ElijahSF Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2013 California

Cellarmaker did this and I liked it:

""Green Knuckle" Pale Ale comes out today in the tasting room. Made with 100lbs of Wet Citra Hops. Process wise there are several ways to make a wet hop beer. We chose to use a method that minimizes the time from farm to pint. These Citra hops were harvested last Tuesday in Eastern Washington, overnight shipped to the brewery, added to the fermenter on Wednesday and the beer is available to drink today, exactly 1 week after these hops left the farm.

We utilized some other varietals in the boil (Mosaic, Equinox, Nelson, Simcoe and Motueka) to add more layers of complexity to this beer alongside the resiny fresh Citra. This beer was definitely not a great yielder so it will only be available in the tasting room. Fortunately, it tastes awesome. Wet hop beers are a pain, super messy and a labor of love but they're certainly unique as hell and it's only once a year (yolo once right?). Growler fills are available for a limited time. 5.7% ABV and 34 IBUs."

jakecattleco and sharpski like this.
  20. sharpski

sharpski Savant (909) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Trader

Crux Mo' Fresh Hop had a short time on my personal pedestal, Cowiche is now #1 with a bullet.

One of my favorite things about fresh hop beers is their volatility, a brewery might crush it one year but fall flat the next, so you can't ever write off or give a pass to a brewery, you gotta try 'em all every year. Fremont seems to be cementing a history of excellence that's as close to automatic as it gets, though. Clearly a well-honed recipe and process, cheers to them! Wait, I mean nothing to see here, not worth trading for or anything...

21. anonymoose

anonymoose Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2015 North Carolina

Is this a good time to be buying hops for homebrewing then?

22. tylerstravis

I've never seen wet hops for sale for home use.

23. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,870) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Wet hops need to be used within 24 hours of picking. Some homebrew shops make special arrangements to have wet hops next day air freighted but this practice is not typical. Do you know anybody near you that has hops growing? You could ask them if it would be OK to pick some fresh wet hops.

Last week I homebrewed a wet hopped Harvest Ale using hops from my backyard. I had two helpers who picked hops while I was boiling the wort; doesn't get any fresher than that!

Cheers!

24. anonymoose

anonymoose Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2015 North Carolina

Ah, didn't realize they needed to be used so soon

25. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Laurelwood's fresh hop Laurelfest Lager is a beautiful option if you need a change of pace from the IPAs. Oh, and the Commons Fresh Hop Myrtle is spectacular.

sharpski likes this.
  26. twb0392

twb0392 Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Wisconsin

Is Deschutes hop trip out yet? It was my favorite last year.

27. sharpski

Trader

Unfortunately, you missed harvest of almost every variety by a few weeks, though some places might still have some late harvesting to do. You'll also need to be close to the farm, fresh hops are like quick spoiling produce and need to go from bine to wort within roughly 24 hours.

28. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Nope. Still another 7-10 days before Hop Trip and Chasin Freshies get released.

twb0392 and tylerstravis like this.
  29. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,102) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Shhhh...

If you want me to get you cans again, delete your post. ;-)

30. sharpski

Trader

@jbakajust1 or @John_M, I've made a horrible mistake and jeopardized my access to good Seattle beer. Please delete any and all reference to me liking Cowiche. :slight_smile:

31. joeyjoey104

joeyjoey104 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2014 California

Same here!

jakecattleco and ElijahSF like this.
  32. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (729) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

It'll cost ya...

sharpski and distantmantra like this.
  33. BeerIsLife11

BeerIsLife11 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2015 Indiana

Broo Doo. So damn tasty again this year

34. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,833) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

:-)

Too late now... In fact, based on your post, I've asked my GF to stop by Pint Defiance to pick up some Cowiche before she comes down next week. See what you've done?

sharpski likes this.
  35. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,824) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Centennial is one of the first to be harvested. Simcoe is in full harvest the first Week of Sept. The harvest is about a 40 day window. Alpha varieties such as CTZ and Warrior are the last to be harvested.

TheBungyo, drtth and tylerstravis like this.
  36. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (331) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I thought 2013s was boozy, but last years was fantastic. Hoping 2015 follows 2014 in terms of flavor.

37. DBCB28

DBCB28 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2014 North Carolina

I'll be in ABQ next weekend for a wedding (I used to live there form 2008-2014) & am so excited to try this one! Some of our friends have picked a couple of these up for us along with some other NM gems... Can't wait!

eppCOS, sharpski and shuntstout like this.
  38. shuntstout

shuntstout Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2010 New Mexico

Tons of delicious beers out here right now, Acequia wet hop, Project Dank Wet hop version, Full Nelson, Scale Tipper, Marble DIPA, Its like IPA heaven! Thats why I'm doing an IPA fest on October 17th called Palate Fatigue!!

eppCOS and sharpski like this.
  39. tylerstravis

@retinaMark hook it up!

40. DBCB28

DBCB28 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2014 North Carolina

Holy crap! That's awesome! Where is Palate Fatigue taking place? I bet a bunch of my friends would love to attend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.