2016 Up-and-Coming Breweries

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by twizzard, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Poo-Bah (2,817) May 21, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Love it when people from the breweries chime in with such thoughtful responses. I had Frederic C Noir at FOBAB this year and thought it was phenomenal. Look forward to what the future brings.

BrewsoBrewco likes this.
  2. ordybill

ordybill Poo-Bah (3,030) Jul 9, 2014 Georgia
    Society

Good People out of Birmingham, AL has some great beers. Ones that I highly recommend are, their El Gordo (RIS) and Snake Handler (DIPA). I visited them last week during the Birmingham Bowl and the brewery and the people are top notch

3. phillyhops

phillyhops Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 New Jersey

Casey Brewing and Blending might have already blown up, but they are new to me on the east coast. Incredible beer and started in 2013 I believe

4. ryanhooks81

ryanhooks81 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 Georgia

coastal empire

5. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (252) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I wouldn't call Barrier up and coming - they've been at it since 2009. They are just a bit under the radar because they make so many different styles of beer - not just IPAs, BA stouts, sours. Give the other ones they make a try too. Of course they make great IPAs too - Dunegrass DIPA is my favorite

6. BazingaTimis

BazingaTimis Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2013 Ohio

I think it's unfair to say HH's beers are "visually repulsive." I'd agree that what HH labels an IPA or IIPA would not meet the visual requirements in a beer competition for those styles, but, if I were to guess, I would assume HH cares very little about whether or not its able to meet the visual characteristics of a style that predates some of the techniques used in beers akin to HH's hoppy offerings. Truthfully, the categories used in beer competitions are often far behind the innovative skills of brewers. But, back to the point, calling a murky, hazy, unfiltered hoppy ale labeled as an IPA or IIPA as visually repulsive if it tastes and smells amazing (the two HH beers I've had do) focuses too much on just the look of a beer--and, frankly, is like putting a square into a circle cut-out.

HH is not a one-trick pony. They do several varieties; a simple look at their BA page would tell you that. And a simple google search and five minutes would tell you they're growing both their business and their brand. Yes, that brand plays on a humor you appear to be calling "stoned frat boys making dick jokes," but I, for one, enjoy the humor. I also enjoy their confidence in selling a great product whilst displaying their own personality (you do get that Hoof Hearted sounds like "who farted" when you say it, right? :wink: ).

I can only hope that those breweries befitting of your "JV league" categorization are this good and are as business-savvy as to partner with a respected Columbus restaurant group in a joint effort to create a branded brewpub so that they can expand and continue to grow. It would sound to me like these "stoned frat boys making dick jokes" are doing it right.

7. bkbeerdude15

bkbeerdude15 Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2015 New York

While I realize they've been in business since 2009, the point I was trying to make was that they are still flying under the radar and haven't truly broken out like the other local breweries have. That being said, I am definitely interested in trying their other styles, and am in the process of planning a trip out to the brewery with some friends.

8. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (252) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Selfishly - I wouldn't be so happy if it got really busy there with beer geeks needing to get the latest thing because of FOMO (something I learned from this site) - its a relaxed, local place making great beer for everyone not just hopheads. I like that you can get a porter, kolsch, cream ale, etc and your IPAs of course. They have flights but I find it hard to taste one beer after another from a 4oz or so glass, go for the 10oz glass. LIRR stop nearby and great food truck too.

9. TBonez477

TBonez477 Defender (644) Jan 15, 2015 Vermont
    Trader

These may sound crazy but some of the locals have a chance for big years.

Alchemist - New facility opening this year to expand capacity
    Foley Brothers - If they could start canning they could make a big jump

And the Mass. big boys are similar:

Tree House - Huge hype. If capacity allowed them to be distributed they would blow up
    Trillium - Canning operation would go a long way to their further success

VABA and VTMLB like this.
  10. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (5,977) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

I will be raiding them in the spring. I'm afraid there won't be too much left afterwards...

TBonez477 likes this.
  11. phillyhops

anyone say cycle yet?

12. Gr8Scott

Gr8Scott Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2015 North Carolina

Wooden Robot out of Charlotte is new but Ass Clown just north of CLT has some funky brews.

DeadWalkerAir likes this.
  13. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,062) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I hope that Funk out of PA and Forgotten Boardwalk in NJ take off.

Adrena1ine likes this.
  14. Hophead_Kyle_SA

Hophead_Kyle_SA Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Texas

They know what they're doing at Copperpoint. I cannot wait to go back next summer on my annual business trip to that area.

15. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Defender (640) Nov 22, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Bourbon Barrel Cavatica Stout

16. jssf

jssf Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2015 California

I think there are levels of up and coming. There's your local brewpub about to embark on regular bottling, then there's my a cult or local fave which seems destined to expand their distribution footprint the way Prairie or Founders have in recent years. I'm also curious about people's opinions of the latter. I feel like a lot of these might be on the East Coast, and I'm not even talking about the NE cult beers. But I could also just be a little tipsy.

17. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

Ballast point 2.0!

18. Adrena1ine

Adrena1ine Aspirant (225) Nov 22, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Free Will Brewing. This guys have some nice local collabs in the works. Hope to see some more robust stouts and quads from them.

DIM and phillyhops like this.
  19. Bwyard

Bwyard Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2014 Missouri

Great raft brewing out of Shreveport, la is my pick. There beers are on point and they will be releasing their first spur soon, collab wth. Upland

AndrewNations likes this.
  20. VTMLB

VTMLB Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2015 Vermont

I completely agree with Foley Brothers. A very underrated VT brewery that is churning out some serious IPAs such as Fair Maiden, Prospect and Pieces O 8. These rival the big guns coming out of the state.

I'll also give a nod to Fiddlehead as well. Really love their stuff.

TBonez477 likes this.
  21. jds16

jds16 Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Ohio

1. Thanks for google-shaming me, but I am certainly aware that they make other styles and are growing. But I've never seen or heard any discussion of those other beers beyond the fact that they exist, which leads me to assume nobody is excited about them like they are the IPAs, which certainly do get lots of discussion. And yes, I know they're growing, but I'd argue they still have too many growing pains to work through (e.g. I've heard of instances in 2015 that someone stopped by when the website said they'd be open but they weren't, and availability is not yet consistent).

2. I'm glad you like chunky beer. I am fine with hazy, I love unfiltered. But murky? It makes me wonder if there are production issues. When I see chunky stuff suspended in opaque beer, I question the quality control. And I didn't say that the beer didn't smell or taste good, and it's entirely absurd to use taste and smell to defend appearance.

3. One thing I did not say is that the labels offend me. They don't. But the quality of design could be bettered by a high school student. (Honestly. I teach them.) Sloppy design does not make the beer taste bad. But it certainly doesn't inspire confidence in the business acumen of the people running the show. Now layer on top of that the juvenile humor (again, please note that me calling the humor "juvenile" does not mean it offends me or that I didn't relish asking for the Dong at a beer fest), which limits the kind of locations where you could get it (some places won't want to associate their branding with HH's; I can't imagine Heinen's selling it) and the potential customers who might select it. That won't stop you or me from buying Hoof Hearted beers. But it will stop many others, which inhibits their ability to grow, which is the whole point. Their branding as it is right now dooms them to a niche of a niche at best.

4. I'm glad they're opening a brewpub. I'm glad you like their beer. I'm glad I liked my limited experience with their beer. I just think they've got further to grow before they move past the "maybe they'll make it" phase and into the upper tier than you seem to. I hope they do. And I'm sorry you're overly sensitive to my lack of unbridled enthusiasm.

It's Saturday. Have a great beer tonight.

jhavs, Rollinghops513 and FarmerTed like this.
  22. jsrose16

jsrose16 Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2014 Illinois

With it's expansion and opening of a brewery in Elk Grove Village, IL, everyone should watch out for Mikerphone Brewing. They have already put out some great beers, but with the expansion, I expect them to really break out this year.

TimBeer63 likes this.
  23. Beers-es

Beers-es Meyvn (1,032) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

Dude, it's a really narrow view to call them frat boys making dick jokes. They also make fart jokes.

jhavs, ODYSEYY, jds16 and 1 other person like this.
  24. blisscent

blisscent Devotee (460) Aug 16, 2015 Rhode Island

Perfect list.

jhavs, CGuil220 and asparkoflife like this.
  25. orcrist_cleaver

orcrist_cleaver Poo-Bah (2,094) May 3, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

My vote goes to the Brewery at Bacchus. They produce high quality of sours and ipas. Getting a lot of publicity in nyc that days. They have a tap takeover at Torst next Sunday. Doing collaborations with some very good brewers: suarez, kent falls, evil twin, threes. Very fortunate to be a 5 minute walk away.

GreesyFizeek and blisscent like this.
  26. swolepeer

swolepeer Initiate (62) May 23, 2013 California

I'm in San Diego and Who Farted just became my favorite brewery of all time.

27. Wookiefist

Wookiefist Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2013 North Carolina

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

28. ThatguyJoefromBoston

ThatguyJoefromBoston Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2013 Massachusetts

Locally....

Trillium will slowly be increasing their production this year but they'll be at full capacity in the new few with room to expand. Looking forward to their Ft. Point location to (hopefully) become their experimentation brewery.

Night Shift had an incredible 2015 and looking forward to their new taproom and consistent canning with their new machinery.

Just started getting acclimated with Medusa and looking forward to trying more of them.

Looking out for some new guys like Bone Up and Winter Hill Brewing soon!

However, at the end of the year, I've seen Singlecut and got to try a few of their offerings. They are blowing me away. Can't wait for more!

krantul likes this.
  29. drink1121

drink1121 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2009 California

are their ipa's more "west coast" or "new england"?

30. gmjohns2

gmjohns2 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2015 California

I wasn't even aware that New England had its own category on top of East & West. Looking into it, I suppose they veer more more towards tropical (or juicy) IPAs than straight hop-bombs, so NE may be the better classification for the majority. That being said, I've had one or two dank and piney IPAs there. Many of their IPAs go with Citra, Simcoe, Mosaic & Nelson so I suppose you can be the judge on whether it's your jam or not. Definitely worth a try if you're in the area.

31. unhyped

unhyped Initiate (77) Feb 13, 2015 Oregon

from what ive read great notion brewing is going to be doing some exiting things but since its from Oregon most likely it will only blow up in the Northwest.totally fine with that

32. bushycook

bushycook Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2011 Virginia

Reaver Beach in Va Beach has finally gotten their coolship beers out into the wild (pun!) in the past year, and every one of them has been incredible. Also the Veil and the Answer in Richmond.

montman likes this.
  33. drink1121

drink1121 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2009 California

from my understanding, west coast has more of that bitter bite and new england is more aroma than bitterness. both being very hoppy in different ways.

34. thepenguin

thepenguin Devotee (449) Aug 8, 2010 Massachusetts

Transmitter out of Queens, NY. They're making some really great interesting saisons and other funky beers. Also, for such a tiny brewery I really have to respect the patience they display with barrel aging and bottle conditioning their beers before they release 'em; they let some of them sit for a lot longer than most breweries would be willing to.

phillyhops likes this.
  35. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (114) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

In New Hampshire Stoneface and Garrison City are impressing. Nearby Brewmaster Jack is blowing up and element brewing is doing some interesting strong beers

36. phillyhops

Really enjoyed W3 recently

37. texasalec

texasalec Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2013 Texas

Brash Brewing in Houston. Using similar hop-profile as Three Floyds and have some seriously robust stouts...

Texasfan549 likes this.
  38. Lgkeeper

Lgkeeper Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2014 New York

Common Roots in South Glens Falls, NY. Watch out..

twizzard likes this.
  39. Cannibalgasm

Cannibalgasm Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2015 Minnesota

Here in MN... I would have to say Insight Brewing CO.

runmn likes this.
  40. South2NW

South2NW Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2013 Oregon

Great Notion in Portland

the_beerist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.