2016 Witch's Hat Fury for a Feast

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by tommyz, Jun 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

I had to skip the festival on Saturday at the last minute due to personal reasons, so I was ecstatic when Cookies & Cream NF was on tap when I went in today to pick up my bottles. That's the one that's eluded me thus far, so I'm glad I got to try it before I crack open my bottle. Tons of vanilla and just enough coconut to make it interesting.

It was funny to see the difference between the bottle pickup for Night Fury compared to how it was for Well Water. For the latter, I rolled in about 2:30p or so and walked right up to the table in the brewhouse where they were selling the bottles. For the former, there was a line of maybe 20-30 people pretty much the entire time I was there. No problem, however, as it just gave me an excuse to sip on my pour of C&C.

Sidebar: Witch's Hat's take on the New England style IPA is fantastic. This Guy is really juicy with a great mouthfeel but with that distinctive "stinky" characteristic that I get from all of their IPAs that aren't named Rez. I took a growler of This Guy home along with my bottles.

2. tommyz

tommyz Initiate (0) May 28, 2007 Michigan

3. landrewg

landrewg Initiate (156) Nov 11, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

Yeah, this is just the way it is now. God knows I've done my share of complaining but it's pointless. Go or don't go, buy or don't buy, nobody cares.

4. patol8

patol8 Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2010 Michigan

There were bottles available pretty much all day today. Was able to grab more bottles during lunch. Was hard not to order a pour of Dragontraxx. The fact i sit 3 feet from my boss made it an easier decision.

biga7346 and GregHidinger like this.
  5. BuckeyeBeerhead

BuckeyeBeerhead Initiate (143) Jun 18, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

What bottles were available?

6. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

All of them for a portion of the day, then started selling out quick once they put it on Facebook. No membership needed.

BuckeyeBeerhead likes this.
  7. LambicPentameter

All the Night Fury bottles were gone within 3 hours of it being posted to Facebook. I'm curious how many of the remaining bottles actually went to the "general public" or if they were snatched up by mug club members who had already gotten their allocation over the weekend. :grinning:

I can't lie, I was tempted by the idea of stopping by after work, but it was not to be.

8. patol8

There was about 20-25 people in line about 10 minutes before open. Many of them were mug clubbers and regulars at all the Michigan releases.

9. tommyz

Most went to non mug clubbers...

LambicPentameter likes this.
  10. schepelz

schepelz Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2013 Michigan

Just wanted to say..had This Guy on tap today and wow....one of the best IPAs to come out of a Michigan brewery in a long time. So good.

loganburgh and Ckoz like this.
  11. Cbusssted

Cbusssted Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2012 Ohio

I've been wanting to attend Fury for a Feast for a few years now but if it means I have to be in the company of the knuckleheads I'm seeing on display here I'll have to stick to visiting Witch's Hat on off days.

biga7346 likes this.
  12. tommyz

Its a great time regardless...Wish you would have come..Its an awesome time for an awesome cause...

13. Cbusssted

I think you might have been the guy I met in line at the Ann Arbor fest. You are a champ. I love you. I love WH beers. I hit their tent a lot every year. I would feel privileged to be served these Fury For A Feast drafts, not pissing over half an oz.

tommyz and hardysf like this.
  14. BaseballNBeer

BaseballNBeer Initiate (126) Apr 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

You like being short-poured on small pours? Good for you. Some people don't. I had a bunch of fun, despite the rain. However, I was disappointed with a few of the pours I got, though, considering they advertised 5oz pours and used 5oz cups and one or two of the pourers left some head on the beer. I don't believe that's an unreasonable opinion to have.

15. Cbusssted

It's such a petty thing to be this fussy about. You guys were welcomed to a tiny brewery's small bar and were given the chance to drink their rarest, most labor intensive beers. And from what I hear all of the beers turned out really well. Get over your 4½ oz "short pour" and thank the men and women at WH for once. Either that or start up your own brewery with all the other ingrates, brew some barrel aged stouts and serve yourself 5oz pours all day.

16. BaseballNBeer

BaseballNBeer Initiate (126) Apr 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

So because I attended their event, that makes WH above criticism for everything? That's ridiculous. We'll also ignore the multiple posts where I said I enjoyed my time there. Facts just get in the way of being a fanboy.

I tried to change the topic back to the delicious beers at the event a page back. But then someone who wasn't there chimes in to tell me how to feel. I'm sorry to everyone else who had to deal with these last few posts. I'm done being negative on this.

Orioles9, BuckeyeBeerhead and Jmorey like this.
  17. the_King

the_King Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 Michigan

Luckily they had those leftover Fury drafts at the Pub all last week, 2 different ones at a time. I'm sure there is something barrel aged still on as of today, so you can still get them. Even better yet, the pours are only $5 compared to the insane $6 they charged at the event. Just don't accidentally tip your server like I did and you can pocket that dollar or get yourself a mcdouble for the ride home. Plus you don't have to "donate" any cans of food to get in!

Orioles9 and tommyz like this.
  18. patol8

Just opened a Vanilla Bean last night. Absolutely outstanding beer! Anyone open a Cookies & Cream or Dragontraxx yet?

19. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Disciple (343) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

I opened a Cookies & Cream. The adjunct flavors were a little more subtle than I expected (not necessarily a bad thing). Really enjoyed it. 'Looking forward to cracking a Traxx soon as I love that beer.

Spartan100 likes this.
  20. tommyz

Ive opened all...Vanilla Bean is the best batch they have ever had...Cookies n Cream is fantastic...And I know what people will say..But I do not care..This is the best batch of Dragontrax.. Ive probably had more of every variant than anyone on this site... I can tell you its true... Is it as .rar as the 60 bottle first batch? obvious answer is obvious... But it is....

21. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Defender (634) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I am 100% with you on the vanilla bean. I almost didn't even get a pour at the party because been there done that. But glad I did because the vanilla is amped up. Cannot argue with trax point either.

Jmorey and RyanMcFly1985 like this.
  22. LambicPentameter

Personally, I think their best barrel-aged beer is Furious Ginger, but I'm a cinnamon freak...

But in terms of the Night Fury line, I think Vanilla is my favorite. Trax and C&C are both excellent, but there is something beautiful about the contrast between that velvety, rich vanilla and the great roasty char bitterness that is part of Night Fury.

23. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Disciple (343) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Furious Ginger is awesome. Impressed the hell out of me.

24. sqearl84

sqearl84 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Ohio

have to agree with the vanilla bean comments. This batch of vanilla bean has such a creamy mouthfeel and so much vanilla goodness. The barrel enhances the entire experience without overpowering the flavors of the nilla and base stout. Excellent beer. Glad I have one more to drink again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.