2016 World Beer Cup Winners Announced

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, May 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,243) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Winners from Around the Globe Take Honors at 2016 World Beer Cup

Nearly 6,600 Entries from 55 Countries Vied for Brewing Glory at the “Olympics” of Beer

(List: http://www.worldbeercup.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/WBC-winners-2016.pdf)

Boulder, CO • May 6, 2016—The Brewers Association (BA)—the not-for-profit trade group dedicated to promoting and protecting America's small and independent craft brewers—announced the results of one of the largest commercial beer competitions to date, the 2016 World Beer Cup. The awards were presented at the conclusion of Craft Brewers Conference & BrewExpo America®in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

[​IMG]

This edition of the World Beer Cup saw 6,596 beers from 1,907 breweries representing 55 countries—a 38.5 percent increase in the number of entries from the 2014 World Beer Cup, which had 4,754 entries.

Entries were judged by an elite international panel of 253 judges from 31 countries. Judges awarded 287 out of 288 total possible awards, reflecting the chance for one gold, one silver and one bronze award in each of 96 beer style categories. A gold award was not presented in the Fresh or Wet Hop Ale category.

A detailed analysis of the entries and awards can be found in the 2016 World Beer Cup Fact Sheet.

“Brewing has no boundaries or borders,” said Charlie Papazian, founder, Brewers Association. “The World Beer Cup recognizes the very best in the global community of brewers—their innovation, creativity and the craft of beer and brewing.”

Category Trends
    • The average number of beers entered per category was 69, up from 50 in 2014—a marker of the 2016 World Beer Cup’s high level of competitiveness.
    • The category with the most entries was American-Style India Pale Ale with 275 entries.
    • The second most-entered category was Imperial India Pale Ale with 181 entries.
    • The third most-entered category was American-Style Pale Ale with 167 entries.
    Award Highlights
    The 287 awards were won by 253 breweries, with few breweries earning more than one award.
    • 225 breweries won one award.
    • 22 breweries won two awards.
    • 6 breweries won three awards.
    “This year’s judge panel was our most international ever, with three-quarters of judges travelling to Philadelphia from outside the U.S.,” said Chris Swersey, competition manager, World Beer Cup. “Judges commented throughout the week that overall beer quality continues to improve across the spectrum of world beer styles. While breweries may hold the awards, beer drinkers around the world are the true winners.”

Champion Brewery/Champion Brewmaster Awards
    The competition also bestows Champion Brewery and Champion Brewmaster awards in each of six brewery categories based on the awards won by each brewery.

Very Small Brewing Company Category
    Arch Rock Brewing Co.
    James Smith

Small Brewing Company Category
    Noble Ale Works
    Evan and The Giants

Mid-Size Brewing Company Category
    Brewery Ommegang
    Brewery Ommegang

Large Brewing Company Category
    Miller Brewing Co.
    Miller Brewing Co. Brewing Team

Small Brewpub Category
    12Degree Brewing
    Jon Howland and Tor O'Brien

Large Brewpub Category
    Beachwood BBQ & Brewing
    Julian Shrago, Ian McCall and Gene Wagoner

The complete list of award winners is available for download.

The Brewers Association introduced the World Beer Cup competition in 1996 to celebrate the art and science of brewing by recognizing outstanding achievement. The 2016 World Beer Cup is made possible by the generous support of sponsors including Presenting Sponsor Krones, and Partner Sponsors Ball Corporation, Barth-Haas Group, First Key Consulting Inc., MicroStar Logistics, SAHM GmbH + Co. KG, and Siemens.

https://www.brewersassociation.org/press-releases/2016-world-beer-cup-winners-announced/

###

2. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,025) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Big shout out to the Sloop Brewing men for Confliction taking gold in the sour ale category. Sniff, sniff, I remember when Adam sat at a table at Beacon Farmers Market with hand bottled Sauer Peach and had enough time to bullshit for hours in between selling a few cases of beer.

HopsCraftHouse, jhavs and ceeg like this.
  3. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,114) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Yet another gold for Fat Heads Hop Ju Ju. I can only imagine what my inbox is going to look next Feb.

JohnnyMc, ChrisMon02, Mmmkcr and 2 others like this.
  4. TravisMason

TravisMason Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2014 Indiana

Blot out the sun is so great I'm glad they won GOLD! Seems like this stout is never talked about

reefer_bob likes this.
  5. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Pleased to see Straub's get a Bronze for their Kolsch style beer. Straub's is a fairly small, family owned small brewery in Western PA that is unique in several ways including being one of the oldest continuouly operating breweries the US. They have been stepping up their game the last 4-5 years and it's nice to see their hard work being noticed.

shadyside and JackHorzempa like this.
  6. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,200) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

So, wait - if The Brewers Association segments the industry as:
    What the heck are "Very Small" and "Mid-Size" brewing companies?
    And where is the line dividing "Small" and "Large" brewpubs? (No "Very Small" or "Mid-Sized" brewpubs, I guess?)

#6 jesskidden, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  7. Beersnob724

Beersnob724 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2016 Ohio

They SO deserve it. Love it. Was able 2 get 3 cases this year no problem, I have a feeling it won't be so easy next year......

WesMantooth likes this.
  8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,672) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Only 1 award for Wyoming, a silver. Prost Melvin!

TheDoctor and raynmoon like this.
  9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,006) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

And Stoudts won a Gold for their Maibock.

Cheers!

drtth likes this.
  10. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,852) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

11. JerryIsAlive

JerryIsAlive Initiate (0) May 30, 2012 Florida

Tried the Blackberry Farms Spring Saison while in Nashville. So scrumptious. I'm happy to see their Classic won a Gold.

12. Tpain518

Tpain518 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2013 New York

Coors wins again, great job

pjeagles and einhorn like this.
  13. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,927) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

14. N-Gogol

N-Gogol Initiate (101) Dec 9, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Little fish from Ohiooicked up a gold. Fine, up and coming brewery with a nice saison portfolio! Willoughby's PBCP continues to pick up awards. Hop Juju deserves to win as well!

15. RogelioRodriguez

RogelioRodriguez Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2015 California

Who cares about industry sponsored awards unless of course it's the AVN awards, those require some real heart and soul!

16. WavyC

WavyC Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2014 California

Beachwood:sunglasses:

17. drtth

Interesting information. Need to do a bit more looking (and maybe some number crunching :slight_smile:) but one thing that stands out pretty quickly is that a country doesn't win more medals simply by entering more beers. Does a bit to counter the idea that winning an award is all simply by chance alone.

18. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (245) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Nice medal haul from Japan - looks like they definitely arrived in the craft beer world.

Erikone and Giovannilucano like this.
  19. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (299) Nov 3, 2005 California

I was rooting for them too. Amazing brews.

20. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,586) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Happy to see Noble and Beachwood getting some love!

As if SoCal wasn't spoiled enough with San Diego, the LA area is really developing in quantity & quality

21. Hoppy_Time

Hoppy_Time Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2016 Maine

Really cool to see Liquid Riot in the mix, Maine breweries are definitely stepping up their funk/sour beers.

22. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Disciple (362) Feb 24, 2011 New Jersey

I had a blast here!!! Philadelphia is such a great beer cuty!!! One of the highlight beers was a collaborative brew with Del Ducato/Oxbow Lobster saison!!

JackHorzempa and drtth like this.
  23. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,813) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society

Some under rated beers I love got some recognition. Schells firebrick is absolutely outstanding and I'm happy to see them get a medal for it, same with upslope brown ale, and three philosophers.

24. dee4maine

dee4maine Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2015 Maine

Shout out to Liquid Riot from Portland, ME for getting Gold in Brett beer category!!
    Guess their brett was the most "wild" one. :slight_smile:

25. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,751) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Congratulations to Ommegang!!

VABA likes this.
  26. Bunman3

Bunman3 Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2014 Canada (AB)

Sweet Jesus! So proud to see Troubled Monk Open Road earn a silver medal in the American Brown Ale category. My hometown brewery is doing great things!

27. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,834) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Glad to see so many CO breweries holding it down.

Giovannilucano likes this.
  28. mschantz

mschantz Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Proud of our local Lousiville, CO joint - 12 degrees. John is serious about crafting Belgian style offerings.

SFACRKnight and FarmerTed like this.
  29. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (389) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

How does the submission process work for an event like this? The beers that get submitted are the exact beers available for purchase normally? I've had a few of the beers that won medals that frankly were not that great.

30. drtth

Lots of information about that to be found here:

http://www.worldbeercup.org/participate/register/

Judging is blind following a fairly compicated procedure to ensure fairness for those who enter. Whether they enter something they already bottle or something new is up to the brewery.

#30 drtth, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
  31. Bdubbsyall

Bdubbsyall Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Illinois

Miller High Life.

32. Scott17Taylor

Society

They are an incredibly under rated brewery, happy to see them get recognition.

MacMalt likes this.
  33. Scott17Taylor

Society

Miller high life and miller lite are both good for what they are, not surprised at all, miller like seems to medal in competitions a lot. I didn't see high life on there though.

drtth likes this.
  34. HopfenUndMalzGottErhalts

HopfenUndMalzGottErhalts Initiate (103) Dec 25, 2015 Arizona

WOW, my state of Washington only picked up ONE award. Time to step our game, fella's!

Kudo's to Boundary Bay of Bellingham.

35. Samlover55

Samlover55 Crusader (798) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Trader

Blue Moon 1st Peach Ale, from what i heard it was nothing great....

36. jfcook90

jfcook90 Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2015 Alabama

is Hop JuJu once a year?

37. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,006) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Miller High Life won Silver in the American-Style Lager category (#45).

Cheers!

38. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Shout out to Night Shift brewing, MA. Santilli took home a bronze in the American IPA category. I love that beer. And Great North Aleworks in Manchester , NH for the silver too.

39. Scott17Taylor

Society

Looked over it a little to quick, thanks.

40. SRBush1974

SRBush1974 Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2015 New Jersey

ANTEAD! Congrats Kane!

This will be impossible to get next time it is released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.