2017 Goose Island Prop Day 11/19

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by macewank, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swcreed013

Swcreed013 Initiate (114) May 14, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Obviously opinions are going to be objective, but for me Prop was fantastic, coffee was a close 2nd and reserve was great. Original and BW were solid. Norhwoods was good but not my favorite flavors. Great day by Goose

mando31 likes this.
  2. BeerPrince22

BeerPrince22 Initiate (127) Feb 21, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

What was the "mystery" line?

Prop was by far my favorite at FOBAB.

3. KCUnited

KCUnited Aspirant (206) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Smooth event. If you saw the Herman Munster looking guy in the halo wearing a wolf coat, that was me. I was a little surprised to be told Prop was out around 3:15, happy I got a pour prior. My fav was Reserve, followed by Prop. Easy event, no wait to get in or for pours (Group D). Hot sauce was gone by 3:15 as well which was a bit disappointing.

4. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Devotee (413) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

2 pours of Vanilla Rye was an amazing surprise. So happy I finally got to have that beer. Prop was good though it was too cold for the beer to warm up. Reserve was great. Coffee was good though there is a hint of that vegetal quality. Northwoods is a pretty bad beer imo. I hoped to give it a better chance after Fobab but it was the same or worse.

5. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (4,792) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Double Barrel was shockingly smooth & easy to enjoy, considering the 17% abv. Wish they bottled it.

Normally a beer with that much alcohol is overwhelmingly boozy to me, but it was simply rich & delicious.

Nbrock24 likes this.
  6. thereal

thereal Initiate (98) Apr 20, 2010 Illinois

We got six tokens rather than five. Not sure why.

There was a dude with a regular BCS keg on his back that was not taking tokens.

Also they didn’t take tokens for Old Man Grumpy. So I had maybe ten pours, and it would not have been hard to get more.

Great event. Cheeseburger and hot sauce were highlights.

GrumpyGas, BeerPrince22 and Nbrock24 like this.
  7. bLanders

bLanders Initiate (30) Mar 25, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Great day! Mo wait getting in, no wait to get my bottles, and no more than 5 minute wait for the 17 lineup. Also, was able to get more pours than the 6 tokens given (given unused tokens and I didn't give up a token at the vintage line).

I drank plenty of prop 17, northwoods, coffee and reserve.

Can't wait to crack some bottles and see how the flavors develop as the beer warms.

Dude walking the event with sixtel of regular bcbs on his back pouring as he moved was also a bonus.

In my opinion, much smoother than prop day '16 and a bargain for $30

Cheers!

GrumpyGas, GuyFawkes and Bryan71 like this.
  8. mabsolon

mabsolon Initiate (56) Mar 26, 2015 Illinois

Anyone open a bottle of prop? Had it on tap twice today and thought it was awesome. Big cinnamon. Opened a bottle and was really disappointed. Normal bourbon county with a little banana bread. Completely different.

9. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (397) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I enjoyed each of the variants this year, but just as I find myself saying every year, coffee was the star.

It is nice to have prop being a world class beer again though. The last 2 years were pretty meh, with 2016 being a legit below average beer.

Jsimansk, GuyFawkes and BeerPrince22 like this.
  10. Ckoz

Ckoz Aspirant (284) Feb 15, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Oh god not this again.

11. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (474) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

I love all the variance in opinions.

I think we're in for a real treat this year.

12. Discopij

Discopij Initiate (47) Nov 28, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Feel free to send me all the extra Prop 16s ... this is my favorite beer Goose has ever produced and i'm glad so many people are disappointed by it ... I won't have to give up an arm and a leg to get some over the next couple years

stevegoz, Gibspeed and beerbelly_mike like this.
  13. BeerPrince22

BeerPrince22 Initiate (127) Feb 21, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I'll give you my 16's for your 17s!

14. Discopij

Discopij Initiate (47) Nov 28, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Deal! I'll give you all zero of my 17s for however many 16s you have.

djtothemoney and flat_lander like this.
  15. scjohnsonwax

scjohnsonwax Initiate (96) Nov 30, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

People really got home from prop day and decided to crack a bottle? Im skeptical that this was done, or that your palate was in any position to compare. Great event btw, super smooth for how many people they moved through.

16. Nbrock24

Trader

Also Panda hat is the MVP for pouring half glasses all day.

17. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,372) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

GI needs to rent this guy out for parties. Hell, just have him walking down city streets pouring it forward and the world will be a better place imo. :wink:

18. BrandonK

BrandonK Initiate (55) Jul 15, 2012 Indiana
    Trader

Here was my order of preference:
    Proprietor’s
    Reserve
    Northwoods
    Double-Barrel
    Coffee

I haven’t had Prop since the first year so I can’t give a better/worse but it is damn good. They dialed in the banana and cinnamon perfectly. I enjoyed Northwoods a lot more than I thought I would and the coffee was a bit of a disappointment. Double-Barrel was decent but I wouldn’t go out of my way for it, aging it twice just thinned it out and made it boozy AF.

I never got to try Rare ‘15 but I’m curious how it stands up to Reserve. I thought Reserve was outstanding!

Boldbrew and Nbrock24 like this.
  19. Gambyt20

Gambyt20 Savant (936) Jan 14, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Awesome event, got thru entry line for group B early grabbed a pour of reserve and no line for bottle pickup. Very well ran. Line for vintage was the only long line and at times I just bailed when I got to the front when it was just Reserve, Prop, Regular which there are no lines for in the barrel house. Can't be serving those in mystery line when those are already available in the barrel room. Prop 14 was available and awesome, just missed VR. Also how can they run out of Prop at Prop Day in the barrel house, that just doesn't make sense, but it does attest too how great Prop 17 is that pretty much everyone was using all their token for pours of Prop 17, I sure was. Easily Prop was my favorite variant this year when normally coffee is. Northwood was indeed sweeter than when I had at FoBAB. Overall great event and very well organized and ran.

Nbrock24 likes this.
  20. mando31

mando31 Aspirant (206) Oct 15, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

So I’m going to throw myself under the bus but I can’t help and share my experience at Prop day today. I successfully scored 2 allotments. So when I picked up my first allotment, the hole punch was so weak that it left the perforated part still in tact. My buddy noticed it when we were sampling the beers. So I decided to go back around. Paid for a second allotment and got a second punch without the security guard noticing the first punch. Am I jacksss? Yes! But I gave that allotment to a buddy who was not able to get tickets.

21. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (397) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Also, it hasn’t been discussed, but regular is awesome as well.

I thought the reserve was good, but I only needed a small pour of that beer. A little bit goes a long way.

mando31 likes this.
  22. Redsunsx01x

Redsunsx01x Initiate (133) Jul 5, 2016 Illinois

I thought everything this year tasted great with prop being the on the top of the list.

I was little worried with that stories from last year about the lines moving very slow for bottle pick up but they really had their stuff together for this year. Most of A group was already done by the time I got into the even and I was like 20th in the B line. I got a pour of northwoods and picked up my bottles and was in and out in a couple of minutes.

23. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Defender (643) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Any idea what was all pouring from the mystery beer booth?

Besides them having prop 17 and reserve we heard:

Vanilla rye
    Night stalker
    Prop 14
    Some fruited bourbon county....blackberry?
    Brasserie Noir
    Double barrel

#583 PrestigeWorldwide, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  24. Redsunsx01x

I had Night Stalker and Brasserie Noir.

25. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Champion (887) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Not if it turns out to be a repeat of 2015....

mando31 and GuyFawkes like this.
  26. biggmatt74

biggmatt74 Initiate (75) Dec 15, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

I had 2013 Templeton Rye, night stalker, and Prop 14.

27. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

This was an exceptionally run event IMO. I was group D; showed up at 2:45pm, got a pour of Reserve with no wait.

We were able to immediately grab our bottles after that, which took all of 10 minutes start to finish. Got to try everything, since at the "Brewer Quinn" stand they had a secret Prop keg & the "mystery pour" line was next to nothing by about 4pm.

I thought everything was delicious...my least favorite was Northwoods, but I liked it as well. Coffee was amazing, if that's "green peppers" then I want to bathe in them.

Will definitely try again next year...

28. fmd

fmd Initiate (75) Nov 30, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

First off, when you have 6 pours of BCBS in a 2 and half hour time frame, life comes at you quick you guys. I was Group B, there from noon to about 2:45, and pretty much wasn't functional again until 6pm (shout out to my wife for her never ending patience). All in all though, it was a great event in my opinion.

Bottle line was an absolute breeze, we went right when we got in at noon. No wait at all, easily 10+ points of sale. In and out in the time it took to walk thru (10ish minutes max).

Standard area for pours was pretty hassle free, short of the people hanging around in there and making the end of the lines difficult to discern. I think people are so conditioned to stay near the taps to try and maximize pours/get stuff before it kicks, but in this instance it would have benefited everyone if people got their pours and just left that room. Heard one dude complain that it was a shitshow in there, and I questioned to myself whether he's been to stuff like this before...was pretty low stress in my view. Granted, I assumed everything would last all day, given the PR nightmare if it didn't, so a bit surprised to hear prop kicked shortly after I left.

I deemed the mystery line not worth the hassle from the jump. Yes, here there be whalez, but you had no idea what you'd get when you got to the front and the line was an easy 30 mins for the privilege. For me, the right choice was not playing here.

Vendor lines were not long, except for the cigars at times which I had no personal interest in to be fair. Grabbed a bottle of hot sauce after bottle pickup with no hassle.

Plenty of space to drink outside between the barrels and the standing ledges. The firepits were a nice touch, but the unintended consequence of warmth is the smell of campfire set into my coat. A dry clean bill a small price to pay for additional comfort.

Glassware fragile, per usual with GI. They were quick to replace mine when I noticed a hairline crack it the top, so that was nice.

All in all, I think they nailed it. Didn't try regular or barleywine since I figure those will be readily available, had 2x pours of each prop and reserve, 1x northwoods and coffee. Personal ranking:

1) Reserve (very smooth, surgical execution of regular)
    2) Prop (but bet in a year this jumps to #1...just a touch too much cinammon right now)
    3) Coffee (as an admitted non coffee stout guy, this is pretty balanced v. last year)
    4) Northwoods (great smell, unfortunately too sweet at this stage)

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  29. mkez

mkez Initiate (81) May 2, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

I think people were hanging where the taps were because it was warmer. I know my wife and I stayed in there for a while. This was the most organized and well run beer event I've been to. We were group B, and they started letting us in early, and when they opened bottle sales we didn't wait at all for a cashier. I ended up getting 2 pours of prop and reserve, and then something from the mystery line that I'm still not sure what it was. Had some of my wife's northwoods, and that was great as well. Only bummer was that the person I went to for pours was pretty strict about the one pour per person, so while my wife ran and got food, I had to make a 2nd trip through the line to get her pour. So glad I had the opportunity to go.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  30. fmd

Trader

There was less wind in there, and obviously more body heat, so that makes sense. I do think it was just as warm in the sun/near the bonfires, but if people were under dressed for the weather then I can see the flight toward an "indoor" space.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  31. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

This a million times over. It was cold!!

Also, I wish there hadn't been a cigar aspect to this, I got plumes of smoke in the face several times over. At least, I wish they hadn't been allowed in the area where they were pouring beer.

32. fmd

Trader

Agree regarding the cigars, I find them pretty obnoxious in any setting but that's clearly personal bias.

I guess I wear my "nice" winter coat without fear of ugly smells due to the smoking ban. Of course this is the one event I go to with it and there's cigars AND bonfires!

33. JJR62

JJR62 Initiate (31) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois

I agree, the cigars were there worst part

JFresh21 and GuyFawkes like this.
  34. Nbrock24

Trader

Group A was a huge advantage given the mystery pours. It'd be interested to see how it works next year now that they've established that area. Obviously the lines will form sooner than they did for VR.

I had a pretty sweet mystery pour around 2:30 next to Double Barrel. However, I didn't pick up a particular fruit note. Any idea what that may have been?

35. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Defender (629) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I kept taking mystery pour (for like the last 30 posts) to mean that the line was a mystery what would be pouring when you got your turn (i.e. got to the front of the line). Now I realize that they...did not tell you what they were giving you???

That's kind of scary. Hopefully they at least answered people's questions if they have allergies (as I do).

36. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

They told me it was Double Barrel when I went up.

37. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (162) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah they were pretty blunt about what was pouring later on. Especially with Double Barrel and then Prop 17 toward the end of the event.

Beer_Economicus and GuyFawkes like this.
  38. Redsunsx01x

Only for my second to last pour someone said that Prop had almonds in it. But for the mystery beer it was only until after we got pours that someone would tell us what we were drinking. It is pretty scary not knowing especially if someone had allergies.

39. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Initiate (158) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

If you have some sort of allergy, it is on you to make sure that you don't consume. If you are in a mystery line, you are playing Russian roulette.

40. kodt

kodt Defender (629) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

At the original Rare day, that's how it worked. I recall getting a pour of OG Vanilla, or at least I guessed that's what it was, and a Goose employee confirmed it.

I had a pour of VR earlier that day which made it easier though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.