2017 Modern Times League of Partygoers and Elegant People - Q1

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by wolf13, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmoon66

darkmoon66 Aspirant (206) Oct 8, 2011 California
    Trader

I doubt that will be on draft

2. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (659) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

It will also not be available in bottles to the public. The spanish brandy mosnters park w/ figs and cacao is actually a league member bottle. These usually don't see public sales.

3. homer281

homer281 Initiate (121) Nov 21, 2013 California

Effective Dreams tasting thoughts? I really enjoyed Great Notion brews when I was up in Portland so I'm tempted to make this my first MT Hazy BPT.

4. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (251) Feb 28, 2015 California
    Trader

really surprised the spanish brandy bottles have stuck around 30 min into the public sale..

the higher price point must really be turning people away. I guess its hard for a regular person to justify $36.66 for a 22oz bottle lol

thats fine... more for me.

5. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Initiate (88) Mar 6, 2014 California
    Trader

Hrm, seems this release was a bit slow. I suppose not as Great as past releases? Just a guess.

6. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Initiate (88) Mar 6, 2014 California
    Trader

Some can justify whereas others can seek out newer possibilities that aren't local & are of equal or better (value?)

7. tokimedo

Trader

either way, looks like its sold out now.. only about 600-800 bottles of it total

8. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

Good thing you are not a regular person.

9. tokimedo

Trader

Nope, I'm a league member. Far from a regular person cause regular people I know think I'm crazy dropping hundreds on beer monthly at 1 brewery.

Black_Rider and R1c0rtez like this.
  10. Nominoe

Nominoe Initiate (150) Sep 7, 2014 California

I have always thought people loved the barrel aged MP variants, but I saw the other day on an old trade forum post that people were disappointed with the first few batches or something. Does this explain why no one is seeking out special release MT beers on trade forums? Or is it because we're all hoarding them and on one else knows how good they are? Anyone have thoughts? I feel like this is slightly related to the SBMP lasting so long on the public sale..

11. Xul

Xul Crusader (799) May 18, 2008 California

The very first bottling run was undercarbed/flat, which some people found disappointing (myself included). However, the beers were still quite tasty and the carbonation issue was resolved before the second bottling run. There have also been some infected batches of BA Monsters' Park (7 Year Rye, 2016 Bourbon, and 2016 Bourbon w/ Coconut and Cacao Nibs for sure, there may be others I'm forgetting). Aside from that, the series has always been delicious.

CA traders have always been terrible about valuing the beers they have, and Modern Times especially seems to not get much love on the trading front. I can't speak to specifics since I got out of trading years ago (on the open market, anyway) but friends in the Bay Area are always appreciative when I bring their limited release beers up to share and/or trade.

I'm sure it's some combination of higher prices, not having to stand in line, and a general lack of hype that contributes to it. All I know is that if a beer like Barbados Rum Monsters' Park w/ Vanilla and Coconut had come out of a flyover state, people would've been trading their first born for it.

12. darkmoon66

darkmoon66 Aspirant (206) Oct 8, 2011 California
    Trader

Past infection issues probably plays a big part

m34josh likes this.
  13. SDReaper

Trader

Haha, haha, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. It's funny because it's sadly true.

That being said, if anybody still has the first undercarbed set...I am working on finishing off my 4th set right now, because I actually really enjoyed them.

14. Original_Fake

Original_Fake Aspirant (224) Nov 15, 2013 North Carolina

Pretty much this. And it's perfectly fine with me because they are delicious and everyone loves MT's stuff whenever I bring it back east to share.

15. rrryanc

rrryanc Aspirant (286) May 19, 2006 California

This year there are 800 members (almost all local - so there's a lot of sharing between members of the club) and nearly every bottle is a 2+ count. The amount of every bottle out there (and there are a ton of releases) means the rarity isn't there.

Modern Times is taking the Bruery approach, and we've all seen how that plays out on the trading scene.

I don't think that CA systematically undervalues its trades, there just aren't as many PITA beers and those breweries that do tend to expand or change their releases ASAP - removing the value. Monkish and SARA, for example, trade quite well on the national scene.

16. Nominoe

All of these answers make sense. Thanks guys.

BTW the only person who responded to me so far on reddit's TradeValueTuesday post - where I asked the same question - said that the beers just aren't that good... :grimacing:

jamesar likes this.
  17. Original_Fake

Original_Fake Aspirant (224) Nov 15, 2013 North Carolina

Yeah that's just wrong.

18. heatwaves

heatwaves Aspirant (226) Oct 17, 2009 California
    Trader

Your post made want to check out that thread. Thankfully, that guy appeared to be the only foolish one. It mostly seems that MT hasn't been able to shake the infection and low carb reputation that mostly happened years ago. It really shows how hard that is to get rid of that reputation even if you have many stellar offerings since. The other gripe seems to be a common one even with league members - price is too high for the size/type of beer. For trade purposes, this type of thing cracks me up because unless you're trying to squeeze someone, MT is still in the ballpark and the recipients are probably making out pretty well in the deal.

19. SDReaper

Trader

I am trying to self-distribute their 4pks...usually only buy 5 for myself and a few RTPs that want them and then max out the regular allocation (lolz, not going to buy 20) and send them on out either as a can for an extra or 4pk for 4pk straight up.

I think aside from Goblin Rock they have been very well received, and even then it was still good, but the guy preferred Underworld Dreams.

20. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (146) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Trader

I agree with that guy. Those were the only two of their hazy IPAs I got to try side by side at the brewery and it wasn't even close, Underworld Dreams was way better.

I really hope they bring back UD and Blam Blam at some point. And Attack Frequency, just because I've never had it, and have a friend who raves about it.

joelbarish likes this.
  21. rrryanc

I mean, they had several infections last year, so it's not like this is something that's long in the past. Couple this with their aggressive expansion plans (3 new locations in progress?!) and it's not clear to me that the infections were more of an outlier than a trend. From watching other breweries, once you have an infection problem it requires a major overhaul to contain it. And their return policy sucks if you're not local, so it's even a worse idea to trade for them.

I also went and checked out that thread, and the guy did qualify that they're not that good for the price. So much less black and white than presented here. $32+BPT fees is more expensive per ounce than any Bruery beer that's been released except the recent public CR sale (outside of archive sales).

22. SpecialAgentDaleCooper

SpecialAgentDaleCooper Initiate (127) Aug 27, 2013 California
    Trader

Genuine question: how many breweries even have a return policy, especially for special release/limited edition beers? I can't think of any. My initial response to you is at least they try and make it right. I haven't heard of anyone else that has such an open policy.

23. rrryanc

Well, for the Bruery you just send them a picture and they'll give you credit. Goose Island was even less strict when BCBS was infected a couple of years ago. I'm pretty confident that were I unhappy with anything from Sante Adarius, I could get a refund without many questions asked.

Modern Times requires you to hold on to the bottle, bring it in, then they give you credit in-house. So if you're not local, it's a terrible policy. And if you got hosed on something limited, you can't spend those dollars on the next release - you're limited to whatever public beers they have on hand.

Yes, it's better than no policy (looking at you Lost Abbey and old school Alpine). But setting the bar low, especially when there are others doing far better, isn't doing us consumers any favors.

24. SDReaper

Trader

Out of curiosity, because I never bought any, was re fund from bruery issued for that White Chocolate and Ebony & Oak fiasco? Or has the refunds been only occurring recently...but like 2ish years recently.

As for GI, well lets be real, they don't have the space to accept all of those bottles back.

MT stated that they are working on in in-house storefront, so a move away from BPT and perhaps a way to use giftcards online could be in our future?

25. rrryanc

I don't really remember, but I'm pretty sure I got an automatic credit for E&O. Haven't bought any WC in years, never liked that beer.

The point is that once you've admitted that your beer is bad and no longer need to QC exactly why it's bad, then you really don't need to accept the bottle back. Especially if you have a digital record of who bought what.

They may fix it going forward, but it's not like having their own in-house storefront is the only way to handle credits toward future beers.

My experience is certainly different than someone who lives local, and I acknowledge that their policy is probably fine for most members of the club. That said, with infection issues and a shitty long-distance refund policy, I'm not terribly interested in trading for them at their price point.

m34josh and SDReaper like this.
  26. m34josh

m34josh Initiate (90) Oct 19, 2009 California
    Trader

Totally agree with this. I'm only as far away as NorCal, but don't make it to San Diego often enough to risk trading or buying any more BA MT beers until they get their issues straightened out. Bought a couple infected 7-year bottles from K&L and they were happy to refund me for the infected ones. Just as easy as returning all my Bruery infections over the last 4 years.

On the other hand, last year all the ones I traded for (or bought at local liquor stores,) I am basically SOL. I would say 6 out of 10 or so have been bad. Doesn't sound like a lot, but the higher the prices get, the less likely I am to take that risk, whether it be a purchase or a trade. Great beers, but I would rather have my $200 in beer money or $200 worth of trade bait to use elsewhere...whether it be MT cans, or any number of other great beers we have access to these days

rrryanc likes this.
  27. riko

riko Initiate (115) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

I'm pretty sure I have some of those but I didn't do a good job of marking them in my cage. Is there a way to tell by the label which ones are from that first batch?

28. SDReaper

Trader

riko likes this.
  29. Madirish76

Madirish76 Initiate (199) Apr 14, 2010 California
    Trader

So Bruery has ALWAYS refunded from day 1... in the past they did both auto refunds and a E gift card that could be used for future society purchases. more recently it has been auto refunds or subbing.

Yabu likes this.
  30. SDReaper

Trader

Awesome, thanks for that info. I was uncertain since the only club I initially belonged to was Saints and Sinners and didn't join Bruery for a few years because I decided to start off with a shitty job and make almost no expendable income. =P

Madirish76 likes this.
  31. Nominoe

He got all the upvotes while I got downvotes for "lol"ing at him, so I don't know about him being alone. But yeah the other commenters seemed to have more legitimate logical explanations rather than personal reasons.

I didn't realize the infection issue was more than a one time thing! Damn..

Sorry for taking it out of context, but the "for the price" to me means he thinks that they're not on a tier with other good breweries' special releases where people are spending maybe a few dollars less but still spending a lot and going through pain in the ass systems like lines or lotteries or whatever. And people hype the shit out of those beers, like FO and VR that, unless you really want a vanilla bomb, marshmallow-like stout, are really only worth the price because of the hype associated with them - unless people honestly think that those two beers are worth what they fetch on trade forums right now. I guess my point is id rather spend $35 on SBBMP with fig and cocoa and go pick it up whenever I want than hassle through trading up and paying extra for shipping or bottle hunting or spending $100s of dollars on black market websites for beers that may be better but are not really so much better that they demand the excess shit associated. That's why I laughed at him.

32. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Initiate (159) Oct 29, 2013 California
    Trader

I agree that your option is better than trading, but I would also go route 3 and get neither. While I love Modern Times, I do feel their special releases are slightly overpriced, and I could think of lots of limited releases that are cheaper and pretty easy to find.

rrryanc likes this.
  33. Nominoe

I dont disagree that modern times special releases are expensive but okay I posted on a beer trade forum not on a personal finance forum. People here (or there) are already spending oodles on beer. If you want cheap and easy to find then that's cool, but that's not what people trade for or why people join brewery memberships. I joined modern times membership and I trade because I want hard to find beers that are worth seeking out and that's what I get. So for someone on a forum known for these things to tell me that this one brewery - that has 100s of members willing to pay the price - doesn't make great beer worth the price just doesn't make sense. Right? I feel like I'm crazy.. didn't a bunch of people in this forum make jokes about spending habits and doesn't everyone on this forum relish these special release MT beers?

34. BreweryRun

BreweryRun Zealot (594) Feb 22, 2013 California
    Society Trader

This certainly isn't aimed at anyone in particular, and plenty of people complain about prices for other reasons, but... I think a lot of people become evangelical about beer pricing due to FOMO. When others are buying a beer that you choose not to, it's easy to go the other way and become vehemently against it.

Add to that the fact that it's beyond most people's means (including my own) to max out on every MT beer and it makes the pricing come to the forefront. If they released one special release per month I doubt the pricing would be an issue to very many people. That said I'd much rather them release more amazing beer than I can buy than be constantly waiting for more.

35. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Aspirant (299) May 13, 2014 California
    Trader

I have a whole first set... :slight_smile:

36. heatwaves

heatwaves Aspirant (226) Oct 17, 2009 California
    Trader

Perhaps I'm forgetting something, but what were the "several infections" from last year? I know that MP Bourbon w/ Coconut and Cacao Nibs was one. I heard some had issues with MP Bourbon, but mine were fine. Other than the coconut one, I can't recall anything that was widespread.

Yabu likes this.
  37. m34josh

m34josh Initiate (90) Oct 19, 2009 California
    Trader

Bourbon was widespread too

Rbarnes4381 likes this.
  38. rrryanc

MP Bourbon, MP Bourbon w/Coco and Cacao like you mentioned. Almond DT, Rum BA MP, Mescal DT and BA DT w/coffee were more isolated, but more than 1 or 2 reports. And some of the sours I had gushed pretty crazy, including Diamond Age and Looking Backward (with lots of particles in that beer), so if they're not strictly infected, they still ain't right.

39. 175doubledrop

175doubledrop Initiate (76) Sep 12, 2009 California

This is the first I'm hearing anywhere of Almond/Vanilla/Cocoa DT or BA DT w/ BA Coffee being infected - where are you getting these reports from?

bungletrpg likes this.
  40. BeerBaron666

BeerBaron666 Aspirant (221) May 13, 2009 California
    Trader

Anyone try the effective dreams cans yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.