2017 Modern Times League of Partygoers and Elegant People - Q1

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by wolf13, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riko

riko Initiate (115) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

They won't be released for 8 more minutes!

bungletrpg and Brewzer1010 like this.
  2. BeerBaron666

BeerBaron666 Aspirant (220) May 13, 2009 California
    Trader

Oh. Thought they were released yesterday for some reason

3. Majikow

Majikow Disciple (359) Nov 21, 2015 California
    Society Trader

Anything special on tap today?

4. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (659) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

Being told from a buddy that is down there -
    Ninety Isles
    IPA with centennial, simcoe, citra, and Denali oil

BA MP Aged in "Ancient Timber Manager" barrels (bottle pours)

5. Saxmusik45

Saxmusik45 Initiate (199) Nov 18, 2011 California

Has an Old Forester version been released or is that in-house only or a preview pour for an upcoming sale?

6. SDReaper

Trader

I don't believe one has been released before...might be preview or just for fun if they only had a single barrel.

7. Saxmusik45

What's the reasoning behind having to be sneaky about barrel names for treatments versus what Fifty Fifty does with naming the Eclipse barrels? I've seen it done elsewhere than MT so I know it's not just them.

8. SDReaper

Trader

Jacob explained it in some post, but I believe it has to do with licensing.

9. ModernTimesJacob

ModernTimesJacob Initiate (85) Apr 24, 2012 California
    Industry Brewery

You all can rejoice in the fact that the massive investments we've made on QC are paying off: our lab found an infection in about one out of three of these bottles. Obviously that means we can't release them as we usually would, but it would be a waste of truly outstanding beer to dump the entire batch. The only way to know which ones are infected is to taste them, which is what we're doing in the tasting room before we serve them. So we figured this was the best way to give people a chance to try this beer without exposing anyone to the risk of an infected bottle.
    If you're going to use another company's intellectual property on a commercial item, you need to license it. I don't know if anyone else bothers to get permission to use distillery names on their labels or websites, but we do not because it's a lot of work. So we figured this would save us the trouble and be a lot funnier.

Cheers & thanks,
    Jacob McKean
    Modern Times Beer

10. Saxmusik45

Thanks for the response, @ModernTimesJacob. I guess I'll look forward to Steve McQueen's Mustang or Door Handle River sometime in the future.

Brewzer1010 and BeerBaron666 like this.
  11. rrryanc

rrryanc Aspirant (286) May 19, 2006 California

Mostly from the 2016 thread. Whole conversation on various peoples' bottles starts about here: https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...ygoers-and-elegant-people-2016.354855/page-89

Those variants didn't seem to be as widespread, so they might be one-off bottles.

12. OTB

OTB Devotee (473) Sep 2, 2011 California

[​IMG]

Really like this one. Lots of very ripe citrus and stone fruits, lots of peach. Great body.

Cheers,

13. 175doubledrop

175doubledrop Initiate (76) Sep 12, 2009 California

Honestly, I follow all the MT threads pretty close and don't remember a single mention of infections with either of the two DT variants I mentioned above. In addition, I read the next 3 pages after reading the page you linked, and there wasn't a single mention of any of the aformentioned DT variants. Lastly, stray individual posts by random people on BA are far from confirmation of an infected beer, but believe what you want to.

I don't mean to start a battle here, but making accusations of infected beers not only isn't fair to the breweries, but it also spreads misinformation amongst those that might be interested in a beer, which doesn't do anyone any good. If there are multiple confirmed reports across multiple sources of an infection then that's a different story, but quoting some random BA member as proof of an "infection" doesn't prove anything.

14. SpecialAgentDaleCooper

SpecialAgentDaleCooper Initiate (127) Aug 27, 2013 California
    Trader

Also don't recall anything about those DT variants being infected. I did have a couple of infected MP variants, but haven't had any issues with DT.

Rbarnes4381 and bungletrpg like this.
  15. Coldstorage

Coldstorage Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2014 California

Im a top 5 MT fanboy defender allstar but the Almond Vanilla DT was definitely infected. Much discussion of it here and in other places including popular app based rating programs and similar beer discussion forums including one with more gifs and less spark-plugs. I drank one of my almond vanillas right away that gushed when cold but tasted great and the second one 9 months out was undrinkable.

Didn't hear anything about DT w/ barrel aged Coffee. Did hear a lot of ppl complaining about the Weller single barrel. (Mine tasted fine)

There is definitely an issue I dont see any reason to disagree with @rrryanc there. Where his opinion and mine part is that I am confident MT will button those issues up and that I have been satisfied with the resolution on my infected bottles.

rrryanc likes this.
  16. rrryanc

Well first, there are random BA members, like yourself, who have 24 posts and I don't recognize your name, or your previous name. And then there are active members, both on this forum and others who I've read enough to have a sense of whether or not they're just here to start shit. And a general sense of their palettes (people will just throw around words like infection sometimes, even when they don't mean it).

I believe the DT thread got fairly contentious and cleaned out in one of the moderation purges. There's mention of that on another forum, but I can't find a peep about it outside of one person in thread I linked you. It was the DT from late 2015, which we received as members in early 2016, not the most recent batch.

Anyway, as much as that goes, I'm another random poster on BA, and people are welcome to believe my posts as they see fit. Personally, I'm not willing to take the risk on bottles that I can't get refunded for (or more specifically, aren't worth the effort, not being local) when they have a history of infections at this point.

17. tyrsis

tyrsis Aspirant (227) Mar 13, 2009 California
    Trader

They stopped serving the Old Forester from bottles. Sounds like it was more than 1 in 3 infected...

18. 175doubledrop

175doubledrop Initiate (76) Sep 12, 2009 California

I believe the saying goes "the devil is in the details".

Your prior post mentioned "infections in the last year" - late 2015 obviously doesn't fall in that window, but it was the most recent batch of Almond DT that I have not heard of any infection reports on. So, I'll concede that I jumped to conclusions a bit, but I think the point still stands that posting about infections without providing sources and/or details doesn't help anyone.

Carry on folks...

19. rrryanc

Well we didn't get the beer until early 2016, so it was still a 2016 beer, barely. Depends how you define the last year.

The overall point was it wasn't just one infection here or there, it's a trend now. You and others asked for specifics, which I tried to provide, though as a random dude on the internet, I only care so much.

20. pdmoore714

pdmoore714 Aspirant (224) Dec 26, 2013 California
    Trader

21. Xul

Xul Crusader (799) May 18, 2008 California

Just cracked my first can of Effective Dreams, definitely the best that any of the MT hazy IPAs have tasted in the first 24 - 48 hours after release. If this follows the same flavor improvement curve over the next couple weeks as Underworld Dreams and Dinosaur World, it's going to be out of control.

However, I can't help but wonder if it would taste just that much better if I'd stood in line for a few hours to buy two four packs, rather than being able to stock up from the comfort of my desk. Guess that will have to remain one of life's great mysteries...

22. Blackmill

Blackmill Initiate (48) Jan 18, 2017 California

Tried Bourbon BA Monster's Park at the Point Loma Fermentorium and Spanish Brandy Monster's Park over dinner. Definitely preferred the Spanish Brandy. Felt the roastiness and dark fruit really came through on the finish to round things out where else the BBA didn't have that balance. Wonderful mouthfeel for both beers. As of now, the Spanish Brandy Monster's Park is the best stout I've had, though I've got a couple very good stouts to try in the upcoming days. If Effective Dreams is good enough I'll be set on joining the League next year.

BeerBaron666 likes this.
  23. sgudino

sgudino Initiate (47) Apr 15, 2015 California
    Trader

It won't. People LOVE to hype up these "limited" release beers that are released for the sole purpose of being "limited"...aka hype.

This dude, on IG, was taking about how another beer beat this beer in a recent "side by side" taste test. The beer that beat this one? A beer that is, conveniently, being released tomorrow. The brewery? A smaller, lesser known, brewery who is currently on their second "hazy" IPA release...yet, with their second attempt, they managed to make a beer that surpassed Modern Times. Wow. While that's not impossible, you can tell by this guy's previous posts, that he is totally a shill for smaller "hype-train" breweries.

I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but, in my opinion, these shills are ruining beer (at least for me) by hyping up these lower quality beers simply for the "likes" and whatever payment they may receive by said breweries.

Back to Effictive Dreams, this beer is crazy solid. It is as juicy as can be, but not as "full bodied" as one would expect from a hazy IPA. Maybe they didn't use flour...Either way, it is a damn good beer!

I still wish they would do Attack Frequency again...no one ever talks about it, but to me, that was one of the better releases! And it was the first!

24. Xul

Effective Dreams can't melt steel beams?

I dunno man, I see "shills" and it's pretty much all over as far as logical discourse goes...

J-loco and elproducer like this.
  25. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Initiate (181) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Trader

Awesome! Can't wait to pick mine up!!

@sgudino Are you referring to Abnormal?
    Cause I just had their Turbidity and it started off good with the first 2oz, then it evolved into a hop mint like beer. A chore to finish.

If you're not, carry on.

26. sgudino

sgudino Initiate (47) Apr 15, 2015 California
    Trader

Carrying on.

But I agree about Turbidity. Same with New Money..it was decent, but was pretty boozy on the nose and it seemed under carbonated...yet both of those beers are being talked about as if Abnormal somehow changed the game with their release.

27. SpecialAgentDaleCooper

Trader

Did you drink from can or pour into glass? I had it on draft yesterday at Fermentorium, and it was outstanding, but it had the strangest aroma. It was nasty and wonderful at the same time. I can't wait to try it from the can, and then see how it improves after several days. I agree that each of the last few releases seem to hit their stride between day 10 and 18. Dino World was, to me, still extraordinary a month out.

Xul and homer281 like this.
  28. homer281

homer281 Initiate (121) Nov 21, 2013 California

Considering I can't pickup till 4/7 weekend I'm glad to hear this.

29. Xul

I poured it into a teku and didn't find anything nasty about the aroma, but I admittedly haven't had it on draft.

Agreed, I drank my last two cans this weekend and it was starting to decline (although it was still god) but around the three to four week mark it was absolutely killer.

30. SpecialAgentDaleCooper

Trader

Awesome. It wasn't abjectly awful, it was almost like just out of control dankness. It straddled the line of wonderful and heinous, in a good way (I think?). Going to crack open a can tonight. Excited to see how it differs from draft. Each one has been better from can, in my opinion

31. reidjoshua

reidjoshua Initiate (165) May 3, 2013 California
    Trader

Clear & Present Dankness is MT's next can release. Release day/party should be 4/27.
    Anyone know if I can bring in cans of alcohol into Bahrain? Asking for a friend...

32. Xul

Clear & Present Dankness will be the May special can release, not April (per both Facebook and Jacob's comments at the last League preview tasting).

33. reidjoshua

reidjoshua Initiate (165) May 3, 2013 California
    Trader

It's unfortunate I can't read.

34. homer281

homer281 Initiate (121) Nov 21, 2013 California

Did you not attend the, "Derek Zoolander School For Kids That Can't Read Good And Want To Do Other Things Good Too"?

35. jamesar

jamesar Initiate (168) Mar 13, 2012 California

Yes. There is a limit from what I remember. Something like two wine style bottles last time I checked. So you should be able to bring several cans no problem.

reidjoshua likes this.
  36. Hype_Train

Hype_Train Initiate (162) Feb 8, 2017 California

I didn't know Drop Art was being sold publicly?

dcgunman likes this.
  37. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Initiate (181) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Trader

Yes, it's hitting majority of distros that Nitro hit this year.

Hype_Train likes this.
  38. Hype_Train

Hype_Train Initiate (162) Feb 8, 2017 California

Thanks, one less Eventbrite event that I don't have to deal with.

m34josh and AyeDogg like this.
  39. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (250) Feb 28, 2015 California
    Trader

drop art is a part of their monthly distro'd special release cal, not a league release.

40. Blackmill

Blackmill Initiate (48) Jan 18, 2017 California

Just did an IPA tasting tonight consisting of Effective Dreams, Green, Julius, Sip of Sunshine, and Focal Banger. Effective Dreams was the consensus best. Even though all the cans were fresh, Dreams was by far the most juicy and floral, somehow maintaining a very natural flavor despite the intensity far exceeding what you would taste by actually eating tropical fruit. Having had a can on Monday, I'd say it improved distinctly over the last few days, just don't let it get too warm. Gotta give it to Modern Times & Great Notion -- they make damn good beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.