2017 Modern Times League of Partygoers and Elegant People - Q2

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by tokimedo, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (224) Feb 28, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Since the last one has been locked.

2. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Disciple (330) May 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Just got back to Nor-Cal with an SUV full of beer last night. Anxious to crack into these beverages! :slight_smile:

I hate LA traffic. :slight_frown:

3. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Disciple (330) May 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Instagram alert!

Jester King / MT Collab
    Other Half / Kent Falls / MT Collab

OMG OMG OMG OMG.

elproducer likes this.
  4. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Devotee (497) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

jesus, i guess i'm going to be making a trek to SD almost every month now. could be worse

ATA1K and R1c0rtez like this.
  5. JayORear

JayORear Zealot (596) Feb 22, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Where are you seeing that?

VABA likes this.
  6. SDReaper

SDReaper Zealot (532) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

7. JayORear

JayORear Zealot (596) Feb 22, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Ah, a League Instagram. I am but a mere mortal.

R1c0rtez and VABA like this.
  8. SDReaper

Beer Trader

I can't find the old picture but MT already showed what the MT/JK collab was and it was a saison with raspberries....so thinking....west coast Atrial Rubicite

9. dcgunman

dcgunman Defender (636) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I like OH very much. Still think they are killing it every weekend with their can releases. Jester King is another good one. But when you start doing collaborations I don't think they are all that great. Most of them. Some? Yes. But most....no. My opinion. One of my favorite collaborations was Beachwood and Drakes a couple of years ago > Mind Melder DIPA(I believe). I thought it was mind blowing at the time.

JayORear likes this.
  10. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Zealot (523) Jul 9, 2010 California

Are these going to be League exclusives?

11. Xul

Xul Crusader (761) May 18, 2008 California

They're not listed as League exclusive in the list of projected beers, so I suspect they'll reach the public sale if there's sufficient quantity left after the League presale.

UnknownKoger and SDReaper like this.
  12. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Initiate (181) Oct 29, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I would agree, also if you are going to do a collab, you aren't going to brew a small amount. You are going to want to be able to "sell" Jester kings on that label.

13. dcgunman

Beer Trader

I'm in search of MT Drop Art cans. Any sightings in the north OC area? I was at Mr K's last Sunday and he had just sold the last 4pk a few hours before. It would be great to find it in the HB area.

14. Miruguy

Miruguy Aspirant (200) Nov 22, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Not North OC, but just saw a 4 pack (just one) at WF Fashion Island.

15. jamesar

jamesar Aspirant (215) Mar 13, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Whole foods LB had some on Saturday

dcgunman likes this.
  16. Nominoe

Nominoe Aspirant (220) Sep 7, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

I'm driving down to through OC Saturday morning and Sunday evening and can stop with some cans from central coast or straight from the brewery if you haven't found cans by then.

17. dcgunman

Beer Trader

Thanks for the offer but I reserved a 4pk at my local for pick up tomorrow. Cheers.

Nominoe likes this.
  18. iDoc

iDoc Initiate (105) Nov 29, 2015 California

Driving down to SD this weekend, hoping to stop by MT. Anyone know what/if they have cans available in store?

19. SDReaper

Beer Trader

Their tap list on their website is pretty up to date with what they have available

http://moderntimesbeer.com/tasting-room/point-loma

20. R1c0rtez

R1c0rtez Initiate (126) Oct 5, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

League tasting email is out

21. OTB

OTB Disciple (376) Sep 2, 2011 California

LBWF had lots yesterday, but its a sour David, you know that right ?

Cheers

22. Black_Rider

Beer Trader

Does anyone know if the Fermatorium will be open on Good Friday? It's not that sounds like a Bad Friday

Ryancthomas7 likes this.
  23. ModernTimesJacob

ModernTimesJacob Initiate (181) Apr 24, 2012 California
    Industry Beer Trader

We are definitely open on Good Friday. The only days we're closed are Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day, and the rare event (which are more and more going to happen at the Fortress of Raditude, leaving the tasting room unaffected.) Any closings are noted well in advance on our website.

Cheers & thanks,
    Jacob McKean
    Modern Times Beer

Black_Rider likes this.
  24. homer281

homer281 Initiate (193) Nov 21, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Picked up my cans of Effective Dreams and had a taster of Clear & Present Dankness, my first visit to taproom in a year or so. I was really impressed with the coffee bar setup and the coffee/beer slushies were perfect on a warm day.

Clear & Present Dankness, the cellarmaker collaboration, was tasting outstanding, reminding me of Cellarmaker's Wide Rainbow. Really cannot wait for the BPT sale for this beer.

25. wilymobastardo

wilymobastardo Initiate (192) Jan 12, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Ok, since we've had 10 beers that have (or will be) in the special can releases, it's time to make a list. Mine goes like this:

1. Dinosaur World
    2. Blam! Blam!
    3. Effective Dreams (so good right now)
    4. Attack Frequency
    5. Clear and Present Dankness
    6. Goblin Rock
    7. Centaur Gardens
    8. Underworld Dreams
    9. Golden Pineapple
    10. Mage Hand (the only one that was disappointing)

What's yours?

26. Majikow

Majikow Aspirant (288) Nov 21, 2015 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I think my tops (in no certain order) were Goblin Rock, Attack Freq, Underworld Dreams and Dino World.

27. SDReaper

Beer Trader

It's so pretty..

[​IMG]

28. darkmoon66

darkmoon66 Aspirant (239) Oct 8, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Underworld and Dino have been the 2 standouts for me

29. SpecialAgentDaleCooper

SpecialAgentDaleCooper Aspirant (222) Aug 27, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Wow. This is pretty much exactly mine. Might switch Goblin and Centaur, but this is on the money, IMO.

30. ModernTimesJacob

Industry Beer Trader

Always love getting this kind of feedback, thanks for taking the time to put it together. Two things to note:

1) The Centaur Gardens going into cans has definitely benefited from what we've learned since the original batch. Same hop profile, but a much bigger dry hop and a full, juicy body. It's very much in line with the last couple of hazy IPAs we've released.

2) Speaking of benefitting from things we've learned, a draft only batch of what I guess I would call Attack Frequency Version 2 will go on-tap this week. It got a ton more apricot and guava than the first batch, along with a much heavier dry hop. It's been getting rave reviews internally.

Cheers & thanks,
    Jacob McKean
    Modern Times Beer

31. SpecialAgentDaleCooper

SpecialAgentDaleCooper Aspirant (222) Aug 27, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Jesus. It's unreal how much of my beer budget MT dominates. All of that sounds so incredibly delicious.

32. OTB

Loved Attack Frequency round 1. When I hear " a ton more apricot and mango " part of me says, hell yea and the other says......" remember Monkish/Trillium ? I would guess the heavier dry hop helps balance the additional fruit without becoming cloying ?

Carry on, love em all

33. ModernTimesJacob

Industry Beer Trader

The fruit comes through big on the aroma and its quenching and juicy on the finish, but it's not sugary at all. You'll have the opportunity to find out for yourself in a day or two.

Cheers & thanks,
    Jacob McKean
    Modern Times Beer

thatche2, Black_Rider, OTB and 2 others like this.
  34. SDReaper

Beer Trader

That paint job though...

[​IMG]

35. OTB

And I will take you up on that !

Cheers,

36. Majikow

Majikow Aspirant (288) Nov 21, 2015 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Attack Frequency 2? Yes. Yes. And more yes.

37. sagescrubber

sagescrubber Initiate (122) Mar 17, 2015 California

Is hella sweet.

38. Black_Rider

Beer Trader

where is that?

39. Xul

The Fortress of Raditude.

40. Xul

Assorted Notes:
    1) The League-exclusive keg for Festival of Funk will be Transit of Venus aged in red wine barrels w/ strawberries and lemon zest. Sounds really damn good.

2) May's preview tasting will allow members to bring a +1 for the first time. Start auctioning the spot to your friends now because I get the impression it's going to be a very good tasting.

Tonight's Beers:
    Crucible of the Spirit Dragon - 4.25 - Barrels were second fill pinot noir, previously home to another funky saison. Nose was vinous up front with moderate acidity and funk and a citrusy dry hop lurking in the background. Palate heavier on the funk up front, giving way to assertive hop character - fruity and floral - before a long, mildly acidic finish.

Devil's Teeth in Schmernheim Durum's Barrels - 4.25 - Twelve months in barrels. Nose with dark caramel and toffee, leather, and subtle but rich dark fruits. No heat on either the nose or palate which was impressive. Whiskey heavy on the front of the palate that gives way to sweet caramel and soft wheat notes along with baker's chocolate. Very dry all the way through the finish, very well integrated. Good barrel treatment but it's a bit more finesse than some of the bigger, brasher single barrel DT and MP variants.

Devil's Teeth in Rye Barrels w/ Walnut & Vanilla - 4.5 - Fifteen months in barrels whose brand rhymes with "millet." Big nose of dry, roasted nuts with backing cocoa and vanilla, along with a bit of subtle rye spice. Palate opens up with dark chocolate and assertive but not dominant vanilla, giving way to the dry nutty character. This drinks well right now, but I'm mighty curious to see what time would do if the walnuts drop out just a touch and allow the vanilla to shine through a bit more.

Monsters' Park in Tequila Barrels (2016) - 4.25 - Enjoying this more than I did on release, time has tamed some of the heat and created some interesting flavor combinations. Nose is strong tequila over rich chocolate that mentally combines to form peanut brittle (Steven pointed out that Luke had called that flavor combo and once you hear it, you can't smell anything else). Nice, thick mouthfeel but drier than most other MP variants. Flavor of dark chocolate, mild agave, and salty peanuts into peanut brittle on the nose. If you slept on this last year, I'd recommend contemplating a bottle, it's the sort of beer that might really surprise you.

Shrine of the Forsaken Gods - 4.75 - If you've ever been skullfucked with a bushel of raspberries, you know what this beer is like. If not, you should probably buy this beer and find out what that experience entails.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.