2017 Modern Times League of Partygoers and Elegant People - Q2

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by tokimedo, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrryanc

rrryanc Aspirant (286) May 19, 2006 California

I got a 4 pack yesterday at a WF in the Bay Area. I'd skip this particular release were I you.

2. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (250) Feb 28, 2015 California
    Trader

any specific reason youd skip?

3. rrryanc

rrryanc Aspirant (286) May 19, 2006 California

To me, it tasted like that same flavor you get from a Coors/Bud/PBR followed with maybe a hint of mango. If you really tried. I would have been a lot happier with a 12-pack of one of the aforementioned beers at the same price. Or a beer that actually tasted good - this was a total miss. Drained one of the cans, gave away two of the others.

4. sagescrubber

sagescrubber Initiate (40) Mar 17, 2015 California

Not only has Clear and Present Dankness been one of my favorite hazy MT pours (Chico and all!), I gotta give props for the email copy:

Haven't seen aroma/flavor etc. likened to a Club Med experience before. Wish I had thought of that one.

ModernTimesJacob and homer281 like this.
  5. Streetkid

Streetkid Initiate (68) Feb 10, 2016 California

Hey could you go grab my spreadsheet from the printer?

taylordane likes this.
  6. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (463) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

Clear and Present Dankness has the perfect blend of signature Cellarmaker IPA taste and NE softness. Very good collab.

7. homer281

homer281 Initiate (121) Nov 21, 2013 California

Agreed.. I'm hoping for a high limit on this one.

8. redmagik99

redmagik99 Aspirant (200) May 15, 2007 California

I didn't think it was that bad, but I'd much prefer fruitlands if going for a tart and dry fruit beer.

9. Aztec_Chris

Aztec_Chris Initiate (65) May 7, 2015 California

I saw the Fortnight of the Monsters and it had 3 of the Monsters' Park that have been mentioned for May's release plus Coconut Cocoa BBA MP so that might be happening as well.

10. Ryancthomas7

Ryancthomas7 Disciple (318) Nov 4, 2014 California

Centaur is tasting stupid good right now. This is all.

11. SanDiegoJoe2011

SanDiegoJoe2011 Initiate (113) Nov 30, 2014 California
    Trader

I didn't care much for the draft pour I had a week or so before the cans went i sale, but I liked the draft pour I had the day of pick-ups better and I liked the pour I had today even more! I may grab a four pack after all, ha!

12. SoNiC21

SoNiC21 Initiate (169) Jan 20, 2015 California
    Trader

I kinda regret getting only one pack, but with this bank account destroying sale coming up, I think it may be for best haha.

13. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Zealot (551) Jul 9, 2010 California

same.

14. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (659) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

Saving money for Clear and Present Dankess cans, That Cellarmaker,,,hhhnnnngggggggggggg

BeerBaron666 likes this.
  15. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Aspirant (299) May 13, 2014 California
    Trader

My beer fridge got a little cold this weekend... and one of my effective dreams came out of the can slightly slushy. OMG it was fantastic. Straight frozen fruit cocktail.

It warmed, and was still delicious. Really fantastic beverage.

BeerBaron666 likes this.
  16. ross84

ross84 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2014 California

Question: Has anybody gone to the volunteer's party that M.T. throws the week after one of their festivals? I am pouring at Funk this year and wondering if the after party the following week is super low key and I can drive myself or if it is a mini fest and I should uber? Thanks!

17. SDReaper

Trader

Yes, went to the Carnival of Caffeination one since I was setup crew (also setup crew for festival of funk this year). It is pretty low key, they keep us limited on pours, like I was given 5 tickets (maybe 6). Plenty of snacks and the music going in the warehouse. It is quite chill.

warrendietrich2001 and ross84 like this.
  18. reidjoshua

reidjoshua Initiate (165) May 3, 2013 California
    Trader

To follow up since the last two were pretty different...

Dankness volunteer party was at the Fermatorium and we were given 10 taster tickets with ~15 taps going.

Caffeination volunteer party was at the warehouse with ~6 jockey box taps going and we were given 5 taster tickets, a can of something (tart saison or some such), and there was a small spread of food.

ross84 and SDReaper like this.
  19. SDReaper

Trader

The golden pineapple ipa can is what we were handed as we walked in. I think they were trying to finish off all of it since that was the largest batch of ipa cans. Still tasted pretty damn good.

20. SDReaper

Trader

Preview tickets are live btw.

21. asong_net

asong_net Initiate (99) Jan 26, 2016 California
    Trader

i know we always joke about wallets feeling the pain after certain allocation/sales but this certainly has to take the cake

22. R1c0rtez

R1c0rtez Initiate (39) Oct 5, 2012 California

yea i cant see myself having the restraint to not go overboard this time. Bad financial move but i think I'm going to have to put it on credit haha, FOMO is going haunt my dreams if i dont pick these up.

23. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (568) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

yeah. there's nothing i don't want. and i'm tempted to max all

RIP: wallet, liver, progress made reducing gut, space for food in refrigerator, agreement with girlfriend to make more room in refrigerator for food

24. Saxmusik45

Saxmusik45 Initiate (199) Nov 18, 2011 California

Time to put it on mom's.

25. SDReaper

Trader

I am glad I am not the only one that has to go through that with their better-half. I almost did it, then bought a few cases....whoops.

Black_Rider likes this.
  26. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (568) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

had the ba dt with walnut and vanilla last night. it was amazing. I think MTs barrel program is getting better and better.

does anyone know how they add walnut? are walnuts in the barrels when it ages, or is it added at a different stage, and in what form? just curious. I did feel like there was this sort of faint chalky residue on the finish. was thinking maybe that is powdered walnut. but I don't know anything about the process

the only other nut beers I can think of having are the pecan Wootstout one, which was nice. and of course Grey Monday

anyway, amazing beer.

I am maxing every variant this month to kingdom come

27. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Zealot (537) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Jacob, this is the space I was thinking of when I inquired about any possible Bay Area locations since it used to be a brewery space.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/05...-new-life-old-pyramid-brewery-space-berkeley/

[​IMG]

m34josh and jakecattleco like this.
  28. tyrsis

tyrsis Aspirant (227) Mar 13, 2009 California
    Trader

Berkeley can have a MT when we get a damn Fieldwork...

29. SDPirate

SDPirate Initiate (56) Sep 29, 2015 California

Got to say Shrine of the Forsaken Gods was tasting mighty fine yesterday at Flavordome Anniversary.

30. SanDiegoJoe2011

SanDiegoJoe2011 Initiate (113) Nov 30, 2014 California
    Trader

Modern Times Twitter post:

"The haze is strong in our cellar right now. Accumulated Knowledge, Dinosaur World, and Clear & Present Dankness all being prepared for packaging."

So May might also see Accumulated Knowledge batch 3 as well? The onslaught continues, haha.

jakecattleco likes this.
  31. sagescrubber

sagescrubber Initiate (40) Mar 17, 2015 California

I think I will manage. Definitely up for some more AK.

32. Majikow

Majikow Disciple (359) Nov 21, 2015 California
    Society Trader

Do the League previews go all the way til 8 or are they mostly finished up earlier with people just hanging around? First timer here.

33. Xul

Xul Crusader (799) May 18, 2008 California

The actual tasting is generally wrapped up between 6:50 and 7 and you can hang out until 8. This one might run a few minutes longer since it will likely be a larger crowd and move a bit slower but I'd still be surprised if it went past 7:15.

Majikow and rennsport like this.
  34. Majikow

Majikow Disciple (359) Nov 21, 2015 California
    Society Trader

Thanks! Looking forward to it. Line up looks killer. Hopefully get to meet some fellow League members too.

BreweryRun likes this.
  35. SDReaper

Trader

[​IMG]

Majikow likes this.
  36. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

Never gets old

37. wolf13

wolf13 Initiate (146) Dec 11, 2014 California
    Trader

@Xul (or anyone else), what's the review of the the beers? Inquiring minds want to know!

38. SDReaper

Trader

I won't give a beer-by-beer review because Xul will laugh at me for my shit-tier tasting notes but I will provide additional information we were given.

Cans will be sold in a 2pk for $30 instead of singles. This is due to their license that initially did not allow for sub-22oz togo options. So they are getting around that, while they are waiting on the license update, with the almighty rubberband! Yes, rubberband 2 together and poof...fixed license issue.

Nitro black house coffee cans are also a thing now. Stopped in after the tasting and they were sold out. My guess is maybe a small run to see how it goes, but the better half is hoping to constantly see those in the future.

The parking lot that is normally full of boats and has those signs for only MT employees is now OPEN to public parking. However ONLY after 6pm each day. So additional parking, be cautious of some of the rocks that are there, I cleared out a couple around where I parked, but obviously still some there if you are in a lower-riding vehicle.

MT is also working on their own personal website for sales for beer to move away from BPT. Or rather they have been working on it but Jacob felt it was coming along nicely enough to mention it. He expects it to be functional before league renewal time this year. He plans to test it out with a less desirable/hectic sale because he doesn't want it to crumble with say...the Monsters Park sale.

39. pavsci2003

pavsci2003 Initiate (58) Jan 12, 2015 California
    Trader

Yikes, that's is way steeper than I was hoping for a 12oz can. $16-17 for a big stout I have to drink by myself bc hard pouring in 3oz tasters is gonna suck. Was hoping they could get this down to $10/can

40. Coldstorage

Coldstorage Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2014 California

The BEST news.

Brent212 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.