Release 2018 Arrogant Bastard (Stone) Crime/Punishment

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by tigerbeer90, Jun 14, 2018.

1. tigerbeer90

tigerbeer90 Aspirant (224) Apr 27, 2012 South Carolina

Received an email yesterday from 'Arrogant Bastard Brewing' which states that if enough people put in preorders for a new batch of Crime and Punishment, they will brew fresh batches at the end of 2018. I actually think for such 'cult' beers with strong love/hate relationships this is a smart idea for both brewer and consumers. Text from email below:

TO THE FANS OF CRIME & PUNISHMENT

YOU ARE FEW. WE KNOW THAT.
    Years back, there were haters out there who stumbled upon expensive bottles of beer, one labeled “Crime”, the other “Punishment.” We made it clear right the label: these bottles contained an intense level of heat thanks to the freshly picked variety of very, very spicy chili peppers stuffed into barrels containing the beer. Still, some were aghast at the fiery burn on their tongues.

Yes, they were hot, you ninnies – that’s what we said.

THEN THERE WERE YOU.
    You were the folks that grabbed us by the metaphorical shirt collar and said “I WANT MORE.”

And so you shall have it. This is for you, dear Crime and Punishment fans.

THIS IS YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO SELF-IDENTIFY.
    If there are enough of you ready to step up and make it happen, there will be a late-2018 special limited release of both Crime and Punishment. But we need to hit a threshold to make it all work. If we do, we’ll make the beers. If we don’t, then we (read: Greg) were wrong, and we won’t. But Greg’s betting there are enough of you passionate heat-loving sumbitches are out there to make it happen.

[​IMG]

You can stake your claim to them now by filling out the form below. We won’t make you pay just yet, as the beers won’t be ready until November. We’ll deal with those mundane details later.

We’ll give you until July 4 to sign up below. If we don’t make the threshold, we won’t brew the beer and we won’t charge you a dime.

Second chances like this are rare. Spread the news to your capsaicin-loving friends. This is your shot to bring back the burn.

Bottles $14.99 or a 4-Pack for $49.99

QUESTION: WHAT OTHER DISCONTINUED/PERSONAL FAVORITE BEERS WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE DONE THIS WAY?

2. tigerbeer90

tigerbeer90 Aspirant (224) Apr 27, 2012 South Carolina

3. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,165) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Here is a direct link to the details on the Stone site:

http://www.arrogantbrewing.com/fans-crime-punishment

It's an interesting approach but how accurately would it gauge demand? If I were interested, I could certainly request a boatload of bottles (in order that the brewing threshold is met) and then only just purchase a couple when the time came to pay for them.

Also, note that the stated options are either brewery pickup (CA, VA or Berlin) or shipping within CA so not sure if this would ever get distributed across the US. It does not appear to be the case so one would need to consider this.

4. JoePasko

JoePasko Initiate (76) Mar 10, 2018 New York

I am curious why anyone would want to drink this at all, yet alone pay that kind of price for it.
    Isn't the idea to have good spicy food on the plate, and cold refreshing beer in the glass ?

jasonmason likes this.
  5. stevesbeer

stevesbeer Initiate (104) May 17, 2016 Washington

They were a fun experience. I would gladly do Crime again, not so about the Punishment:grin:

For discontinued, put in Ruination?:wink:

6. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Zealot (568) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana

This isn’t for people that like hot wings or Thai food. This is for people that want to take the ghost pepper challenge. Certainly not my idea of fun, but there are plenty of capsicum junkies out there.

Beer_Economicus, jcos and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  7. rypkr

rypkr Crusader (789) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I know at least one store nearby stocked with them.

8. readyski

readyski Aspirant (222) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

I thought the later batches (or were they just aged?) were actually quite reasonable and while spicy weren't over the top. Unlike some stouts out there that claim to have chilis but could've fooled me :rolling_eyes:

9. JoePasko

JoePasko Initiate (76) Mar 10, 2018 New York

I'm not a fan of the 'stunt beer' trend, in general.

10. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Champion (804) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

Pick-up available in Berlin, interesting...

EDIT: Pre-ordered. I love Arrogant/Double Bastard and I love chili beers, so this a no-brainer, really. Also a great oppurtunity to head down to the Stone Brewing taproom in Berlin.

#10 Snowcrash000, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  11. Ristaccia

Ristaccia Defender (643) Nov 21, 2012 Nebraska

What cracks me up is that the heat was never the problem with these beers - it was the fact that they tasted like rotting green pepper mixed with finger paint. Gotta market it somehow though I guess...

12. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (268) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Night Shift made a spicy beer called Viva Habanera when they were first starting out, and no one really liked it, including Night Shift by their own admission. But they still re-brew it every few years, because there's a handful of crazies who demand it.

13. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Zealot (568) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana

Neither am I. Which is why I don’t buy them. But if someone else wants to that’s fine by me.

14. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,830) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania

I was thinking the same thing... haven't been to Berlin since 2014!!!

15. rypkr

rypkr Crusader (789) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Yep. I love hot beers and after trying habernero sculpin I grew to occasionally add habernero sauce to pales and ipas to make much spicier renditions. I was originally stoked to try crime but felt duped because it was hardly even that spicy (habernero sculpin is spicier) on top of a pretty poor beer to begin with.

16. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Champion (804) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

Has anyone heard anything about this yet? If those beers were supposed to be ready by November, then the brewing process should probably start soon, right? I put my name down for both beers, but haven't heard anything. Even wrote them a message asking for an update, but didn't get a reply :confused:.

17. johnInLA

johnInLA Crusader (764) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Premium

Southern Charred please….

And while we are at: Double Bastard in the Rye, Bastard Midnight Brunch, Mikhail with Coconut, Double Bastard, and Old Guardian

PaulStoneAnchor and redeemer like this.
  18. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (64) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Passed on them the first time, and I will certainly pass on them again. Just not my cup of beer.