2018 Modern Times League of Partygoers and Elegant People - Q2

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by dcgunman, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Lostmango

Lostmango Aspirant (203) Jun 29, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

The BA stands for beautiful and athletic... right?

Rbarnes4381 likes this.
  2. OTB

OTB Devotee (439) Sep 2, 2011 California

[​IMG]

OK, lets get back to the real beauty of beer.

Cheers,

#242 OTB, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
  3. MonkeyBread

MonkeyBread Zealot (568) Apr 26, 2014 Nevada

Mmm Helles lager. So is there a market to pay a local San Diego person to buy beer at MT and ship it to Nevada?

4. reidjoshua

reidjoshua Initiate (157) May 3, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I work within walking distance... just sayin

5. Xul

Xul Champion (801) May 18, 2008 California

May 2018 Preview Tasting Notes

Assorted Notes:
    1) Steven confirmed that all three of this month's Monsters' Park cans will carry the same pricing as Vanilla - $32.25/2 12oz cans - and reminded us that it's actually cheaper per ounce than bombers would be. I'm sure someone - or many people - will still talk about how cans are supposed to be cheap, $16 for a can is outrageous, blah blah blah. You're either comfortable paying a certain amount per ounce for the beer, or you're not, the fact that you're complaining about a better price in a superior format just makes you look dumb (Steven didn't say that last part, that's my editorial comment - he merely confirmed the prices).

2) The ID cards and free crowler fills are just about done. I believe he said they'll be released within the next week or so.

3) Andrew gave us a preview of the special kegs and large format bottles for Festival of Funk:
    League Keg - Red Wine Barrel Aged Transit of Venus: Pina Colada Edition (w/ pineapple, coconut, and lime)
    ToLC Keg - Deeds & Exploits w/ Coconut
    6L Bottles of Analog and BA Sparkling Celestial City
    9L and 12L bottles of The Fruitening

4) For those of you going to Flyover State Soy Sauce Day rather than the Festival of Funk, Modern Times will be pouring Monster Tones along with a couple of other kegs. No word on whether they did a special Kikkoman/Monster Tones blend.

5) Abaddon, the Helles lager coming out in 4pks for this month's sale, will be $12. Andrew is more than a little excited about this beer and quite clearly would've preferred to spend the entire tasting talking about it. I can't say I blame him, I'm pretty stoked about Abaddon myself, although it was also lovely to hear about the other beers.

6) It looks like Encinitas will likely be the next location to open, with Santa Barbara and Anaheim being closer to the end of the year (hopefully, of course). Steven did say that Anaheim was approved for all permits in all categories at this point, so it's just a matter of getting it built out.

7) I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with how I ordered the BAMP variants - Cinnamon/Nibs/Coconut/Piloncillo > Coffee > Nibs/Pecans - so keep in mind that as usual, I don't claim to have a better palate than anyone else, these are simply my thoughts. I'm curious to hear how others would assess them, but more importantly, why they view them in a certain order.

Beers:
    1) Nitro Monsters' Park Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ Coffee
    Style: Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout
    Score: 4.5
    Notes: They added 4lbs per barrel of Black House Blend coffee which represents the highest adjuncting rate they've ever done for coffee. Cans of this variant will see limited distribution - they're very upfront about that so don't be surprised if you see it at a bottle shop. The nose opens up with big coffee character followed by baker's chocolate, light vanilla, and background barrel notes. A bit of alcohol heat hits on the first sip before opening into coffee and semisweet chocolate that combine to form somewhat of a mocha effect, layered over background bourbon and vanilla notes. A nice long finish of barrel-tinged coffee, the nitro mouthfeel is really dialed in.

2) Nitro Monsters' Park Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ Cocoa Nibs & Pecans
    Score: 4.5 (4.4, rounded up)
    Notes: Pecans were roasted then toasted to cut down on oils. Both the pecans and cocoa nibs were added at a rate of over 6lbs per barrel. Toasty pecan character is the first whiff to pop out of the glass followed by rich cocoa, mild vanilla, and hints of barrel character. Chocolate hits much harder on the palate, melding with barrel-derived vanilla, while the pecans provide a dry, nutty flavor that wafts around the background. Don't let the lack of head on the beer deceive you - the nitro levels are just as dialed in on this beer, and that creamy mouthfeel combines with the massive chocolate to almost create a milkshake effect on the finish. Neither cloying nor overly heavy, just a massive wave of chocolate. I always suggest letting barrel aged stouts warm up, but this one benefits even more than most - it opened up substantially as I let my taster sit.

3) Monsters' Park Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ Cinnamon, Cocoa Nibs, Coconut, & Piloncillo
    Score: 4.75
    Notes: These cans are not nitro, so don't shake them before you pour them. Or do, but please take video so we can all have a good laugh. Didn't catch the adjuncting rates on it, but the coconut was toasted and untoasted at a 70/30 mix, the cinnamon was whole sticks, and of course cocoa nibs and piloncillo. The aroma opens with cinnamon that's evident but nowhere near overwhelming, followed by coconut, semisweet chocolate, light caramel, and barrel notes. It took a lot of willpower to stop smelling the beer and actually take a sip, but the flavor managed to surpass the lovely nose. Light cinnamon hits first again, followed by coconut, marshmallow, faint vanilla notes, caramel, and barrel character floating around the background. Every sip presented a slightly different mix of the constituent elements - coffee cake, spiced flourless chocolate cake, Mexican candies, just an absolutely delightful melange of flavors. It's the sort of beer to enjoy a full can of over the course of an hour or so, letting various flavors develop and recede to create new combinations and experiences.

4) Mortal Cloak
    Style: Hazy Double IPA
    Score: 4.25
    Notes: Hopped with Citra, Mosaic, and Eureka. The nose opens with a bit of pine resin before a wave of citrus zest, tangerines, and stone fruit take over. The palate is more fruit forward than the aroma with the stone fruit coming in hard followed by bright citrus and backing tropical fruit. Not the softest mouthfeel they've delivered but still well within the realm of where I like to see the style.

6. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (114) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Ha ha, nice.

carnevoodoo likes this.
  7. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (653) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Does anyone really like nitro beers more than carbed beers? Rarely do I ever have a nitro beer that blows me away with flavor. I feel like, if anything, it mutes the flavors.

8. IcyTrout

IcyTrout Initiate (129) Feb 1, 2018 California
    Beer Trader

It's not just you, it's a scientific fact that it mutes the flavors. CO2 beers help with the aroma being released as you drink it. With nitro you don't get the same affect.

9. Brent212

Beer Trader

I don't know that I've solidified my opinion in big stouts like these BA Monster's Parks, but I definitely like it occasionally in ones with less alcohol. Naughty Sauce and the vanilla City of the Dead are two that come to mind that I love and attribute some of that love to the creaminess from the nitro.

But for the big boys I do think I'm leaning towards CO2. Although that NOLA DT is pretty fucking great.

lanedlr likes this.
  10. Altoid

Altoid Initiate (20) Jun 1, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Anyone from modern times know if the full list and festival map are going up today for festival of funk?

11. SDReaper

SDReaper Zealot (593) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

They usually update the list the morning of assuming the breweries have told them what they are bringing. As for the map, I don't recall there really ever being a map for past festivals. I could be wrong about this though. I usually am part of the setup crew and get a map though and tend to take a quick picture and send out to friends so that they can plan their attack while they are waiting in the check-in line. The thing with that is the map could very well change last minute due to a brewery pulling out, or a coffee roaster needing more electrical plugs (happened at Carnival of Caffeination) which then shifted breweries in that area about 1 table down, or a random downfall of rain from the cloud that appeared inside the building but only landing on one table....while that hasn't happened yet, I would never rule it out.

12. Altoid

Altoid Initiate (20) Jun 1, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

They send the map and I think a mostly filled in list out the first year but not last. Was just wondering. I’m going VIP and want to plan my attack with as much info as possible, but yeah I understand the complications involved.

13. ChazMania

ChazMania Aspirant (296) Jun 13, 2006 California

Having Super Compiler again, this may be my least favorite IPA i've bought from MT. When I'm done with this I will really need an Avalon or Orderville.

elproducer likes this.
  14. asong_net

asong_net Initiate (75) Jan 26, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

Does anyone know if they’ll eventually do a variety pack of the BAMP like last time?

Rbarnes4381 likes this.
  15. ModernTimesSteven

ModernTimesSteven Initiate (120) Jun 5, 2017 California

Depends on available quantities after the sale closes tomorrow at 10AM, but good reminder on that as it's a good idea if possible!

Cheers,

Steven Michael
    Modern Times Beer

asong_net and SDReaper like this.
  16. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (766) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Just finished a can of Fountain Of Paradise. I meant to take this one with me to the Big Island last week. Oh well. This one is so very good. Thx to J for this one.

ChazMania and JayORear like this.
  17. SDPirate

SDPirate Initiate (130) Sep 29, 2015 California

So it wasn't just me. Modern Times usually makes stuff that is at least decent but I just couldn't get myself to like that one. Just didn't meld well at all.

Rick760Sd and ChazMania like this.
  18. annakarina

annakarina Initiate (158) Jul 29, 2016 California

Stopped by and picked up my order after work and noticed there are still 4-packs of DDH Orderville available. Don’t mind if I do.

pro100, jwacky, BeerBaron666 and 3 others like this.
  19. maltznhopz

maltznhopz Aspirant (292) May 21, 2017 Nevada
    Beer Trader

Nice! I need more, hopefully some last until Friday when I stop by.

20. ChazMania

At the main lomaland/point loma spot? I was there on Mothers Day and they said sold out days earlier.

21. annakarina

Nah, sorry, at the Dankness Dojo.

(I still hate that name)

J-loco, Rbarnes4381 and maltznhopz like this.
  22. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (653) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

The Doj' !!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

23. elemenohpee1

elemenohpee1 Aspirant (267) Oct 29, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

It's official

SoCalBeerIdiot likes this.
  24. BeerBaron666

BeerBaron666 Aspirant (266) May 13, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

25. Majikow

Majikow Aspirant (215) Nov 21, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Yeah, DDH Orderville sold out at Lomaland. I was pretty bummed cause I need more of that goodness.

The new double barrel league bottle is on tap though, so that's some consolation.

26. OTB

[​IMG]

These May on-line cans are drinking amazing, top tier. Mountain Voice IPA. Citra, Nelson and El Dorado, nuff said.

Cheers,

27. OTB

[​IMG]

The other half of the May on line. Mortal Cloak DIPA. Citra Mosaic and Eureka hops. Juicy AF.

Cheers,

28. ChazMania

As a non league low life hunchback, I eagerly await the return of Critical Band. I hope it's as good as last years because I had about 700 of them.

29. OTB

Picked some up Wednesday at Lomaland, great batch, there's 700 of them with your name on them.

Cheers,

30. annakarina

Wavesplitter might actually be my favorite can release from this month.

Black_Rider likes this.
  31. NicIsAwesome

NicIsAwesome Initiate (129) Jun 30, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

The ipas go on sale to league first but I don't think any of them has ever sold out even after going on sale to the public. Maybe Dino world did but it's a pretty safe bet that if you subscribe to their mail list, you'll know when the cans are available to you and you'll be able to order online or even purchase on site after the sale has ended most of the time

MonkeyBread likes this.
  32. Brent212

Beer Trader

Hedge Witch was 8.5% last year and now it's 9%. Interesting.

33. j47paco

j47paco Initiate (112) Dec 19, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Agreed. I’m almost embarrassed to admit how much Critical Band I purchased last year. Almost.

dcgunman likes this.
  34. 562Brew

562Brew Initiate (140) Mar 5, 2018 California
    Beer Trader

Same here. Same with Booming Rollers every year. & I’ve also stocked up on Fraxos and Avalon this year too. At their prices, it makes it easy to always have some in my fridge.

35. Kenny_Powers

Kenny_Powers Initiate (24) Feb 19, 2016 California

I have to disagree on Booming Rollers this year. Muted aroma, more malty, not really any Citra coming through, and just not vibrant as in past years. It's not bad, but just OK. Regretting that have about 4.5 gallons to get through in my kegerator...

Redondo_Terp likes this.
  36. IcyTrout

IcyTrout Initiate (129) Feb 1, 2018 California
    Beer Trader

Yeah I was bummed this year as well, only ended up getting one 4 pack when I usually get a couple cases over the course of the "season"

Brewzer1010 likes this.
  37. J-loco

J-loco Initiate (174) Jan 23, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Thought it was just me getting an old can from my local but it had a canning date from mid April while not fresh I didn't expect such a drop off.

38. JayORear

JayORear Savant (974) Feb 22, 2012 California
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Anyone know whether this year's 3-Way (with MT, Holy Mountain, and Ft. George) will make its way to SoCal, either on draft or in cans?

39. Jbean911

Jbean911 Initiate (100) Nov 2, 2017

Just passing along that there a few packs of the DDH Orderville in the case at Lomaland as of half an hour ago!

Majikow likes this.
  40. Bennettrox

Bennettrox Aspirant (298) Sep 14, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

League email for the 5 year anniversary blastoff went out this evening. Soooo many excellent beers on the list already and it looks like there's still more to come. Just booked my hotel and session 2 tickets, can't wait! Now to make friends with a Theory member for that Neaopolitano exclusive...

Email deets below:

We're kicking off our 5th anniversary with an all-out celebration of liquid radness at our barrel-aging warehouse, The Fortress of Raditude (3612 Kurtz Street, 92110). Join us for an extravagant party experience on Saturday, July 7th, and prepare yourself for 30+ beers, 2 food trucks, trippy art installations, and much more. Here's a look at the beer list (subject to changes & additions):

DRAFT

• Deeds & Exploits w/ Amaretto-Infused Coffee Beans, Almonds, & Vanilla
    • Elemental Magic with Pineapple, Mexican Guavas, & Kiwi
    • Hedge Witch DIPA
    • Ice (Pilsner)
    • Modem Tones Aged in Rum Barrels: Neopolitano Edition (Strawberry, Vanilla, & Coconut) — Theory Exclusive
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Bourbon & Rum Barrels w/ Cocoa, Vanilla, & Coffee
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ Bourbon Barrel-Aged Maple Syrup & Coffee — League Exclusive
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ Cocoa Nibs & Pecans
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ Vanilla (2018)
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Jamaican Rum Barrels w/ Coconut & Vanilla
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Spanish Brandy Barrels w/ Figs & Cocoa
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Tequila Barrels w/ Cinnamon, Cocoa, & Piloncillo
    • MT5! DIPA
    • Nectarnomicon w/ Blackberries, Raspberries, & Boysenberries
    • Nectarnomicon w/ Guava & Raspberries
    • Nectarnomicon: Maui Wowie Edition (Pineapple, Blood Orange, Coconut, & Passionfruit)
    • New Atlantis w/ Blackcurrants
    • New Atlantis w/ Pineapple, Blood Orange, & Guava
    • Revolution of the Moon (Red Wine Barrel-Aged Sour Blond w/ Cherries & Vanilla)
    • Stratos DIPA (Collab w/ Alvarado Street Brewery)
    • Temple of Silence (Mega-Coconut Stout)
    • The Fruitening w/ Blackcurrants & Zinfandel Grapes
    • The Fruitening w/ Boysenberries, Blueberries, Plums, Blackcurrants, & Zinfandel Grapes
    • Timewave Zero DIPA
    • Transit of Venus Aged in Red Wine Barrels w/ Raspberries and Peaches
    • Wizard & Graf: Chapter Two w/ Cherries
    • And more to come!
    LIMITED BOTTLE POURS

• Devil's Teeth Aged in Rye Whiskey Barrels w/ Walnut & Vanilla
    • Looking Backwards (White Wine Barrel-Aged Sour Blond)
    • Wizard Blend (2017)
    Your $45 ticket gains you entrance to one of the two sessions (11am-3pm or 4pm-8pm), and gets you (10) 4oz tasters from the smorgasbord of awesomeness we're providing. You’ll also get a sexy keeper-glass, access to two food trucks, great company, and all the high-fives you can handle. We also have a limited amount of DD tickets available.

BeerBaron666 likes this.