2018 Modern Times League of Partygoers and Elegant People - Q2

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by dcgunman, Apr 3, 2018.

1. ModernTimesSteven

ModernTimesSteven Initiate (40) Jun 5, 2017 California

Depends on available quantities after the sale closes tomorrow at 10AM, but good reminder on that as it's a good idea if possible!

Cheers,

Steven Michael
    Modern Times Beer

asong_net and SDReaper like this.
  2. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (742) Jul 1, 2009 California

Just finished a can of Fountain Of Paradise. I meant to take this one with me to the Big Island last week. Oh well. This one is so very good. Thx to J for this one.

ChazMania and JayORear like this.
  3. SDPirate

SDPirate Initiate (50) Sep 29, 2015 California

So it wasn't just me. Modern Times usually makes stuff that is at least decent but I just couldn't get myself to like that one. Just didn't meld well at all.

Rick760Sd and ChazMania like this.
  4. annakarina

annakarina Initiate (90) Jul 29, 2016 California

Stopped by and picked up my order after work and noticed there are still 4-packs of DDH Orderville available. Don’t mind if I do.

pro100, jwacky, BeerBaron666 and 3 others like this.
  5. maltznhopz

maltznhopz Aspirant (212) May 21, 2017 Nevada
    Trader

Nice! I need more, hopefully some last until Friday when I stop by.

6. ChazMania

ChazMania Initiate (197) Jun 13, 2006 California

At the main lomaland/point loma spot? I was there on Mothers Day and they said sold out days earlier.

7. annakarina

Nah, sorry, at the Dankness Dojo.

(I still hate that name)

J-loco, Rbarnes4381 and maltznhopz like this.
  8. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Zealot (597) Mar 10, 2013 California

The Doj' !!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

9. elemenohpee1

elemenohpee1 Aspirant (221) Oct 29, 2014 California
    Trader

It's official

SoCalBeerIdiot likes this.
  10. BeerBaron666

BeerBaron666 Aspirant (214) May 13, 2009 California
    Trader

11. Majikow

Majikow Initiate (143) Nov 21, 2015 California
    Trader

Yeah, DDH Orderville sold out at Lomaland. I was pretty bummed cause I need more of that goodness.

The new double barrel league bottle is on tap though, so that's some consolation.

12. OTB

OTB Devotee (409) Sep 2, 2011 California

[​IMG]

These May on-line cans are drinking amazing, top tier. Mountain Voice IPA. Citra, Nelson and El Dorado, nuff said.

Cheers,

13. OTB

[​IMG]

The other half of the May on line. Mortal Cloak DIPA. Citra Mosaic and Eureka hops. Juicy AF.

Cheers,

14. ChazMania

ChazMania Initiate (197) Jun 13, 2006 California

As a non league low life hunchback, I eagerly await the return of Critical Band. I hope it's as good as last years because I had about 700 of them.

15. OTB

Picked some up Wednesday at Lomaland, great batch, there's 700 of them with your name on them.

Cheers,

16. annakarina

Wavesplitter might actually be my favorite can release from this month.

Black_Rider likes this.
  17. NicIsAwesome

NicIsAwesome Initiate (48) Jun 30, 2014 California

The ipas go on sale to league first but I don't think any of them has ever sold out even after going on sale to the public. Maybe Dino world did but it's a pretty safe bet that if you subscribe to their mail list, you'll know when the cans are available to you and you'll be able to order online or even purchase on site after the sale has ended most of the time

MonkeyBread likes this.
  18. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (124) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Trader

Hedge Witch was 8.5% last year and now it's 9%. Interesting.

19. j47paco

j47paco Initiate (119) Dec 19, 2010 California

Agreed. I’m almost embarrassed to admit how much Critical Band I purchased last year. Almost.

dcgunman likes this.
  20. 562Brew

562Brew Initiate (46) Mar 5, 2018 California
    Trader

Same here. Same with Booming Rollers every year. & I’ve also stocked up on Fraxos and Avalon this year too. At their prices, it makes it easy to always have some in my fridge.

21. Kenny_Powers

Kenny_Powers Initiate (29) Feb 19, 2016 California

I have to disagree on Booming Rollers this year. Muted aroma, more malty, not really any Citra coming through, and just not vibrant as in past years. It's not bad, but just OK. Regretting that have about 4.5 gallons to get through in my kegerator...

Redondo_Terp likes this.
  22. IcyTrout

IcyTrout Initiate (70) Feb 1, 2018 California

Yeah I was bummed this year as well, only ended up getting one 4 pack when I usually get a couple cases over the course of the "season"

Brewzer1010 likes this.
  23. J-loco

J-loco Initiate (190) Jan 23, 2015 California

Thought it was just me getting an old can from my local but it had a canning date from mid April while not fresh I didn't expect such a drop off.

24. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,016) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Premium Trader

Anyone know whether this year's 3-Way (with MT, Holy Mountain, and Ft. George) will make its way to SoCal, either on draft or in cans?

25. Jbean911

Jbean911 Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2017

Just passing along that there a few packs of the DDH Orderville in the case at Lomaland as of half an hour ago!

Majikow likes this.
  26. Bennettrox

Bennettrox Aspirant (250) Sep 14, 2010 California
    Trader

League email for the 5 year anniversary blastoff went out this evening. Soooo many excellent beers on the list already and it looks like there's still more to come. Just booked my hotel and session 2 tickets, can't wait! Now to make friends with a Theory member for that Neaopolitano exclusive...

Email deets below:

We're kicking off our 5th anniversary with an all-out celebration of liquid radness at our barrel-aging warehouse, The Fortress of Raditude (3612 Kurtz Street, 92110). Join us for an extravagant party experience on Saturday, July 7th, and prepare yourself for 30+ beers, 2 food trucks, trippy art installations, and much more. Here's a look at the beer list (subject to changes & additions):

DRAFT

• Deeds & Exploits w/ Amaretto-Infused Coffee Beans, Almonds, & Vanilla
    • Elemental Magic with Pineapple, Mexican Guavas, & Kiwi
    • Hedge Witch DIPA
    • Ice (Pilsner)
    • Modem Tones Aged in Rum Barrels: Neopolitano Edition (Strawberry, Vanilla, & Coconut) — Theory Exclusive
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Bourbon & Rum Barrels w/ Cocoa, Vanilla, & Coffee
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ Bourbon Barrel-Aged Maple Syrup & Coffee — League Exclusive
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ Cocoa Nibs & Pecans
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ Vanilla (2018)
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Jamaican Rum Barrels w/ Coconut & Vanilla
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Spanish Brandy Barrels w/ Figs & Cocoa
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Tequila Barrels w/ Cinnamon, Cocoa, & Piloncillo
    • MT5! DIPA
    • Nectarnomicon w/ Blackberries, Raspberries, & Boysenberries
    • Nectarnomicon w/ Guava & Raspberries
    • Nectarnomicon: Maui Wowie Edition (Pineapple, Blood Orange, Coconut, & Passionfruit)
    • New Atlantis w/ Blackcurrants
    • New Atlantis w/ Pineapple, Blood Orange, & Guava
    • Revolution of the Moon (Red Wine Barrel-Aged Sour Blond w/ Cherries & Vanilla)
    • Stratos DIPA (Collab w/ Alvarado Street Brewery)
    • Temple of Silence (Mega-Coconut Stout)
    • The Fruitening w/ Blackcurrants & Zinfandel Grapes
    • The Fruitening w/ Boysenberries, Blueberries, Plums, Blackcurrants, & Zinfandel Grapes
    • Timewave Zero DIPA
    • Transit of Venus Aged in Red Wine Barrels w/ Raspberries and Peaches
    • Wizard & Graf: Chapter Two w/ Cherries
    • And more to come!
    LIMITED BOTTLE POURS

• Devil's Teeth Aged in Rye Whiskey Barrels w/ Walnut & Vanilla
    • Looking Backwards (White Wine Barrel-Aged Sour Blond)
    • Wizard Blend (2017)
    Your $45 ticket gains you entrance to one of the two sessions (11am-3pm or 4pm-8pm), and gets you (10) 4oz tasters from the smorgasbord of awesomeness we're providing. You’ll also get a sexy keeper-glass, access to two food trucks, great company, and all the high-fives you can handle. We also have a limited amount of DD tickets available.

BeerBaron666 likes this.
  27. Majikow

Majikow Initiate (143) Nov 21, 2015 California
    Trader

Tickets booked for early session, beer list looks fantastic. Hopefully can find a Theory member to hook a Leaguer up on his birthday. Should be fun.

28. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (621) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

Opted for late session this time around. I am banking on it being stupidly warm that day so the evening hours should have it cool off a bit since it will be mostly hosted outside. And most of my friends already bought tickets for second session, so peer pressure and the desire to be cool and all... =P

29. jwacky

jwacky Initiate (49) Apr 13, 2017 California

Plus, with that beer list, I can't imagine having to function the rest of the day after getting out at 3pm, haha. May as well just do the afternoon and then call it a night.

Bennettrox and SDReaper like this.
  30. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Aspirant (282) May 13, 2014 California
    Trader

I don't think we're talking enough about Abbadon.

That beer is FREAKING DELICIOUS!!!!!!!

Fantastically well done Helles.

31. moonknight31

moonknight31 Devotee (445) Aug 23, 2009 California
    Trader

i agree, i think it is an amazing helles and kind of regret not buying more than 2 4packs. I think its because helles lagers are not en vogue right now like hazy ipas so a lot of ppl slept on it

MonkeyBread likes this.
  32. Bennettrox

Bennettrox Aspirant (250) Sep 14, 2010 California
    Trader

Purchased 2 cases now and probably going to get more. Would love to see a Schwartzbier in the future or more lagers.

elproducer likes this.
  33. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (124) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Trader

How well do Helles lagers age?

34. Xul

Xul Crusader (762) May 18, 2008 California

Drink fresh. They'll be fine for several weeks if kept cold but nothing positive will come of aging them.

35. IcyTrout

IcyTrout Initiate (70) Feb 1, 2018 California

they're not hoppy so I would say 4-5 months before they really start to fall off.

36. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Initiate (73) Mar 6, 2014 California
    Trader

See you there David

37. Xul

June 2018 Preview Tasting Notes:

Assorted Notes:
    1) Steven abandoned us in favor of LA, but Jacob and Leanne both stepped in to fill his void. It was great to see Jacob back for a tasting, I can imagine he's glad not to be constantly traveling to Portland and LA and feel human enough to jump back in, but seeing him at a tasting brought back a bit of old school vibe. Aside from the general pleasure of listening to him and hearing his thoughts on the beer and the company, he adds a dimension as it pertains to packaging, labels, and general aesthetics that isn't discussed as much in his absence. I know a lot of people are big fans of Modern Times' design and the insight he provides on that front is appreciated. More importantly, he did a fantastic job of giving Andrew shit and providing a sense of continuity there. Excellent work! Leanne - take notes, we're going to need you to step up with that kind of trolling when neither Steven nor Jacob is available. I know you're an incredibly kind person, but you're going to have to set that aside for an hour or so every month. Thanks in advance. :wink:

2) The adjusted sales timeframe was discussed, and for those who are wondering, it was done so that the beers come out the same week in Portland as they do in San Diego and LA. It sounds like this general concept will be maintained going forward, but any specific adjustments will be communicated to us.

3) The Fifth Anniversary party is just over a month away, and there are some pretty rad beers in store for it, not to mention the opportunity to both give and receive some serious high fives. Jacob said that anyone with Modern Times face tattoos will receive double pours, so book time with your artists now.

4) As far as the beers we didn't get to taste, the Hedge Witch re-brew sounds like it's coming along nicely. Andrew said he might actually prefer Timewave Zero, but Jacob called him a filthy liar. Do with that knowledge what you will (really though, just buy a bunch of both).

5) The issue of non-hazy IPAs was raised via a Facebook question (Kristy, I believe), and while there's no official announcement yet, we can expect to see some beers coming out that are different from what they've been doing. They're not going to do old school West Coast IPAs with massive bitterness, but it sounds like we'll be seeing more variety.

6) ID cards are coming soon, Steven and Leanne have been working with the POS system providers to get things worked out.

Beers:
    1) Temple of Silence
    Style: Dessert Stout w/ Coconut
    Score: 4.5 (4.4, rounded up to 4.5)
    Notes: The malt bill was constructed to be a bit on the roastier side to round out the coconut, of which they used a metric fuckton. Some untoasted coconut was added to the mash, then 15lbs/bbl in the brite tank. That is a _lot_ of coconut, and it definitely shined through in the beer. Jacob also noted that they don't use flavor extracts, so what you're tasting is real coconut, not the suntan lotion silliness that can come across as more assertive but frequently is disgusting. The aroma had a nice dose of bakers chocolate out front along with just a hint of roast that falls slightly short of coffee, but that gives way to a huge dose of rich, deep coconut. On the palate, the chocolate comes through a bit more as rich dark chocolate than the bakers' chocolate from the nose, but the wave of coconut that hits is just as strong as the nose. Much like Beastmaster, this one really shines as it warms. The base beer is a bit enveloping when the beer is cold, but time out of the fridge opens it up and allows the coconut to paint a lovely picture over the robust base. A couple of feedback notes on the base for this - first, I like the decrease from 13% to 11%, taking down a pint of 13% ABV beer is tough. Second, I'd like to see the roastiness dialed back just a bit. I understand it was to round the coconut out and provide balance, but I think it gets just a touch too roasty. That said, I hope that this ends up being the base for future canned pastry stouts, with a bit of minor tweaking, I think it'll be a killer canvas for some fun adjunct combos.

2) Analog
    Style: Amphora Aged Blend of Funky Saison & Riesling Must
    Score: 4.5
    Notes: Per my earlier point about labels, Jacob provided some insight into the future of labels for sour beers, noting that they'll be diverging from the template that has been used since the inception of the sour program. Analog features a label inspired by classic wine labels but features a photo of Lomaland on it. Quite elegant and looks great in both 750ml and 6L formats. The beer itself is a blend of funky saison and whole cluster Riesling must which was 100% amphora-aged, marking the first packaged release to be entirely amphora-aged. The nose is a lovely melange of earthy funk, mild to moderate acidity, minerality, vinous notes, and some lovely stone fruit and Meyer lemon floating around in the background. The palate follows with a similar level of complexity, opening up with Riesling and light stone fruits, giving way to a healthy dose of earthy funk and mild acidity. Lively carbonation keeps the beer moving along your tongue, eventually giving way to a long, fruit-centric finish. In spite of enjoying both wine and beer, I've rarely been a fan of hybrids - they're frequently clunky and poorly integrated - but this is both one of the most-vinous beers I've ever had, and definitely my favorite hybrid. Excellent execution, it's a lovely beverage now but I'm excited to see how it ages.

3) News from Nowhere Aged in Sherry Barrels
    Style: Flanders Red Aged in Sherry Barrels
    Score: 4.75
    Notes: Aged in Pinot Noir barrels for 13 months, then a blend of Pedro Ximenez and Oloroso barrels for 17 months, then bottle conditioned for 7 months, making it the longest (deliberately) aged beer in Modern Times history. First thought - "fuck." Second thought - "holy fuck!" Rich, complex Sherry character jumps right out of the glass and massages your olfactory system, springing forth with a blend of tobacco, dark fruits, and touches of sweetness redolent of the highpoints of both styles of Sherry that were used. Notes of aged balsamic vinegar immediately follow - real balsamic, not the shit you can buy for $3.99 at Trader Joe's - followed by oak, dark fruits (cherry, fig, touches of grape), and a base malt complexity. The flavor largely follows the same path, although the Sherry had a bit less sweetness than it revealed in the nose, and the balsamic character is a bit stronger. Absolutely brilliant beer, not overly acetic, and brimming with complexity. Very few people are going to get excited about a Flanders red - even aged in Sherry barrels - and it probably won't trade with any value whatsoever, but this is a stunningly good beer. I may or may not have used the phrase "pants-shittingly good" to describe it to friends via text message after the tasting. I know people are broke from Monsters' Park May (and the expenses of being an adult), I know people aren't big on Flanders reds to begin with, and sours without any fruit added tend to not sell, but this is the real deal.

4) Revolution of the Moon
    Style: Wine Barrel Aged Blonde Sour w/ Cherries & Vanilla
    Score: 4.25
    Notes: A blend of blonde sours aged in both red and white wine barrels, then dosed with the most cherries they've ever used (2000 pounds of Michigan Montmorency for the whole batch) along with vanilla beans. Two bottles are included for Theory members and one bottle is included for League members. The aroma opens up with rich, tart cherry that's rounded a bit by the vanilla, followed by vinous barrel character and mild funk. The palate is a bit more into the fruity realm, with tart cherry providing an acidic attack that is quickly tamed by vanilla for a sweeter backend of the sip. Light funk and barrel notes support but the cherries are definitely the focus of the beer.

5) Creature Times
    Style: Kettle Sour Inspired by Al Pastor Tacos
    Score: 4.25
    Notes: A collaboration with Creature Comforts from Athens, GA, inspired by their infatuation with tacos when they visited. There was a draft-only batch last year and Jacob noted that this batch used 50% more pineapple than the original. The nose is a bit savory at first whiff, with the smoked malt and chilis hitting first, but the pineapple quickly cuts through and shines in concert with the lime zest to provide a more fruit-centric aroma. On the palate, the pineapple hits both first and hardest, followed by a moderate dose of chili spice and lime zest, while the smoke takes on a supporting role towards the backend and follows through on the finish. I suspect both the smoke and adjunct combination will be a bit polarizing. I think it's absolutely crushable, but if you're sensitive to smoke or spice, it may not be for you.

38. cquiroga

cquiroga Initiate (160) Oct 14, 2004 California

Max to the News from Nowhere in Sherry barrels, I s'pose. It'll be the first time in a long time that this slackass longtime Leaguer has maxed on anything (or remembered to buy anything at all in the presale, for that matter).

Great notes as always, @Xul. Much appreciated.

Black_Rider and Xul like this.
  39. Xul

Not sure if you tried the draft at Festival of Funk - I thought that was quite nice, but the bottles are on another level. It may be one of those things where it just hit the right buttons for me, but I'm crazy about it.

40. cquiroga

cquiroga Initiate (160) Oct 14, 2004 California

I missed it. Right after you showed me the light of that Deeds & Exploits w/ coconut Theory of Leisure keg (thankyouverymuch, again), I got sucked into some old school shit-shootin' with Daniel Michaud-Soucy, and I totally spaced on the sherry-barrel-aged beer, even after I was spoutin' off about how much I love sherry-finished Scotch. I'm stupid like that. But I'm glad I have a second lease on life with these (even better!) bottles now. Can't wait to try it. Sounds dope.

Xul likes this.