2018 Modern Times League of Partygoers and Elegant People - Q2

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by dcgunman, Apr 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Pundit (998) May 13, 2014 California
    Trader

DDH Orderville is delicious.

I also very much enjoyed Metabaron. Yum!

2. ModernTimesLeanne

ModernTimesLeanne Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2018 California

Hey there! Sorry for the delayed email response. I had been looking into our inventory and chatting with the Dojo managers to see if we could fulfill the bottles you asked about in LA. Check your email to see what we can work out for you.

BreweryRun, luwak and MonkeyBread like this.
  3. ModernTimesSteven

ModernTimesSteven Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2017 California

How long was it from when you sent the email and haven't gotten a response? If it was more than 48 hours I assume that I accidentally marked it as read. Send over another and you'll get taken care of.

PS - If you call a location about an online order then they will get in touch with me to fix it, so I wouldn't go that route. Email is always the way to go.

Cheers,

Steven Michael
    Modern Times Beer

luwak and warrendietrich2001 like this.
  4. mobrado

mobrado Zealot (651) Nov 9, 2014 California

DDH Orderville is indeed something else. One of my three all-time fave hoppy special releases. (Blam! Blam! and Dinosaur World are the other two.)

Although I did miss the updated style guide that double dry-hopping makes an IPA a DIPA... :stuck_out_tongue:

Now when do we get Blanc on Blanc on Blanc? When the Nelson starts flowing? (Btw, when it does, I'd TOTALLY go for an all-Nelson MT IPA. I know you guys usually don't do it under four hop varieties per IPA, but maybe make an exception when plenty of the good stuff arrives?)

luwak and MonkeyBread like this.
  5. darkmoon66

darkmoon66 Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2011 California
    Trader

Has anyone else been disappointed in Modern Times' hazy IPAs lately? Maybe it's just my tastes changing or me getting the beers past their prime, but the last several IPAs I've tried from them haven't been great.

In the last few months I've tried: DDH Orderville, Disruptive Blade, Essence Glider, Stencil Crew, Lightning Calculator, Blanc on Blanc, Ghost Train, Fountain of Paradise, and Outside Worlds.

Of those, only DDH Orderville and Blanc on Blanc were anything more than mediocre, and even then they didn't really do it for me. I don't think any of them were more than about 5 weeks old when I tried them (although I could be wrong cause I'm not sure how far ahead of time MT fills their kegs). It seems like these last few months their hazy IPAs have been either too sweet, lacked hops, or both.
    • Disruptive, Essence, Stencil, Lightning, and Outside Worlds were all very sweet (the first two were cloying, I struggled to finish 5oz tasters of them).
    • DDH Orderville, Blanc, and Fountain all tasted dull and without much hop presence (My sample of regular Orderville tasted hoppier..).
    • Ghost Train was just a mess; Sweet up front and chalky on the finish.

After the first few I thought it might be because they are scaling up their production (since they are now doing can releases at 3 locations), so the kinks need to be worked out. But after about 4 months of disappointment I am starting to think this is just going to be how their hazy IPAs taste now. Again, maybe it's just me and they really haven't changed at all; But as someone who considers Dinosaur World, Hedge Witch, and Underworld Dreams as some of my favorite IPAs, I feel there has been a downward trend as of late.

Hype_Train and EZ_E like this.
  6. Chris818c

Chris818c Aspirant (264) Mar 16, 2016 California

I think it’s just you. I’ve been super impressed with their latest releases and feel they keep getting better. Most people I’ve talked to have also enjoyed all their recent ipa releases. Everyone has different tastes so what might suck for you, is actually tasty to me. It doesn’t mean you’re wrong, it just means you prefer other flavors.

7. JayORear

JayORear Grand Pooh-Bah (3,034) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I don't know . . . "anything more than mediocre" is a pretty strong statement, but I see where you're coming from. For me, it's more a matter of sameness . . . I think their hazies in particular are fairly well-executed, tasty, and basically satisfying. But many, many of them are starting to run together in my palate. This is especially apparent if you go to a tasting room and sip several of them side-by-side. Also, many of the IPAs are way too heavy for me--I know this is subjective, but there are otherwise tasty beers (like Outside Worlds) that I just don't want to drink more than one of. Similarly, their BA beers, stouts and otherwise, lose their character in the massive amount of variants they produce; I mean, how many variants of Devil's Teeth am I supposed to recognize, let alone appreciate?

I predicted this several years ago when we had our first MT threads on this forum--I don't think you can produce this many beers, at this scale, and retain a really high level of distinctiveness. What this means for me is that while I like their beers well enough, and definitely enjoy killing a few hours at the DTLA location, I hardly ever crave a MT beer any more. These days, I'm way more interested in Highland Park, Beachwood, and even Revision, who keep a relatively focused lineup and produce some core beers that I can enjoy on a regular basis.

Brent212, aquazr1, elproducer and 2 others like this.
  8. Xul

Xul Pooh-Bah (2,115) May 18, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

All of them.

Zalamero, reefer_bob, jwacky and 6 others like this.
  9. dcgunman

dcgunman Pooh-Bah (2,608) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I opened my can of Booming Rollers dated 4-14 and smell was off. The second can was normal. Taste? Same.

10. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Maven (1,373) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

Do you think the 'sameness' that affects MT hazy IPAs is a function of the style? Can one tell the difference between dozens of Monkish IPAs?

11. annakarina

annakarina Pundit (959) Jul 29, 2016 California

I’m particularly confused by the comment that DDH Orderville has no hop presence.

12. OTB

OTB Pooh-Bah (1,779) Sep 2, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Me too, that beer is the essence of hop saturation.

Cheers

13. ChazMania

ChazMania Savant (1,004) Jun 13, 2006 California

I cracked a DDH Orderville yesterday and it was one of the, if not the most, hoppy haze beers I've encountered.

14. ScottWoerner

ScottWoerner Devotee (344) Jan 5, 2017 California
    Trader

Second this, like chewing on a hop while drinking.

ModernTimesSteven and darkmoon66 like this.
  15. JayORear

JayORear Grand Pooh-Bah (3,034) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I know, I know.

Maybe I'm just procrastinating on the two term papers I have to write (definitely I am), but let me go just a little further with this . . .

Let's look at the upcoming Monsters' Park can release:
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ Cinnamon, Cocoa, Coconut, & Piloncillo
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ Coffee
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ Cocoa Nibs & Pecans
    Piloncillo?

I'm as much a drinker/foodie as the next BA, probably more so . . . my GF is a national food writer, and I eat out and drink out a lot at "cutting-edge" restaurants and bars. I totally understand nuance, and experimentation, and pushing boundaries, etc. But if you're telling me you're seriously excited about the addition of pure cane sugar to your barrel-aged stout, I flat out don't believe you.

Really, the MT lineup, especially in regards to variants across the board is, to use their words, cockstaggering. And not in a good way. I mean, I consider myself a moderate to heavy drinker. I'm 6'4," 215 lbs., and 3/4 Irish: not a lightweight, is my point. How the hell do I even taste, let alone appreciate dozens of variants of 8-14% DIPAs, imperial stouts, and barleywines? How do people possibly drink all of these high-octane MT 750s they're maxing out on? I'm not asking this judgmentally, but with serious interest . . . aside from the problems of major intoxication and hangovers, how can one possibly be picking out "notes of piloncillo"? I'm practically facedown after several full pours of any of these. To get through some of the hauls people pull down, you'd have to be drinking almost full-time to put a dent into them.

Sigh. All I know is reading the MT lineup at any given time is exhausting, not enticing.

#175 JayORear, May 5, 2018
    Last edited: May 5, 2018
  16. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Pooh-Bah (1,945) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah

What you say is true, but it's not like this is a new phenomenon. how many people here have way too much beer in their cellar (closet)?

this is just my theory but I think most craft beer fans take a similar trajectory when they start seriously getting into it. seeking out new beers (often through trading), slowly stockpiling a gigantic cellar of way too much amazing beer, then a few years down the road realizing you have way too much beer, and trying to buy less beer, but still buying a lot of beer. or maybe that's just me

sometimes when I look at people's haul photos with dolly-loads of beer I think to myself, "I remember my first stupidly large haul"

I'm at a point now where I don't buy every release and rarely max because I have fucking cases and cases of beer (including lots of early MT). that said, I don't fault them for experimenting and offering such wide variety. the 12 oz cans are so great. and I'm glad Bruery is offering smaller formats now. the embarrassing days of stockpiling 20% stouts in 22oz bottles are over. but, we all have skeletons in our closets. or, in this case, barrel-aged stouts in our closets

dcbullet, Zalamero, IQBlue and 2 others like this.
  17. j47paco

j47paco Zealot (716) Dec 19, 2010 California
    Trader

DDH Orderville is the real deal. Absolutely delicious. Currently at the Dojo, and 4-packs are still available. Although there’ll be a few less available after I leave :sunglasses:

18. annakarina

annakarina Pundit (959) Jul 29, 2016 California

The dude who spent $1000 on last month's releases seemed a bit... excessive.

19. darkmoon66

darkmoon66 Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2011 California
    Trader

I’d heard this from friends of mine as well which is why I ordered a taster of the regular orderville after trying the DDH version, only to find the regular had more hop presence. Maybe I was served the wrong beer?

20. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Grand Pooh-Bah (3,625) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Outside of Blam Blam, the only beers that I truly crave from them anymore are some of their other offerings (e.g. Fortunate Islands, Blazing World, Black House) or ones that have been removed from the regular rotation (Aurora). I still drink their hazies, but not seeking them quite as much anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.