2018 Modern Times League of Partygoers and Elegant People - Q3

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by JimN8916, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimN8916

JimN8916 Initiate (102) Jan 31, 2014 California
    Trader

What? Day 2 of the quarter and no new thread.

2. jwacky

jwacky Initiate (49) Apr 13, 2017 California

Blink an eye and half the year goes by...

Couldn't happier with things at the midway point. Already deciding which clubs to purge next year so I can just spend all my money at MT and not be worried about missing something somewhere else.

3. AndyBrewsBeer

AndyBrewsBeer Initiate (79) May 6, 2015 California
    Trader

4. Majikow

Majikow Initiate (143) Nov 21, 2015 California
    Trader

Mortal Cloak, Timewave Zero and Hedge Witch are all killer. Probably in that order for me.

HopHead89 and AndyBrewsBeer like this.
  5. jwacky

I would reverse that, but to each their own!

Brent212 likes this.
  6. Majikow

Majikow Initiate (143) Nov 21, 2015 California
    Trader

Yeah, don't think you can wrong honestly. Just get a 4 pack of each. They're all great.

jwacky likes this.
  7. OTB

OTB Devotee (409) Sep 2, 2011 California

Hedge Witch has been sold out for a couple weeks Tap only now.

Cheers

HopHead89 likes this.
  8. HopHead89

HopHead89 Initiate (137) Oct 20, 2016 California
    Trader

hedge witch:heart_eyes:

9. OTB

As fellow Monk-Heads you have to admit that Hedge Witch was # hunnits, actually Time Wave Zero was in the same league.

Cheers,

HopHead89 likes this.
  10. pdmoore714

pdmoore714 Aspirant (210) Dec 26, 2013 California
    Trader

Just grabbed a 4 pack at the Dojo this afternoon, tho :grin:

HopHead89 and mlobster like this.
  11. OTB

Awesome, I was referring to SD.

Glad you get the best beer going right now.

Cheers,

HopHead89 likes this.
  12. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (803) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Trader

Have I missed the email? Is there a tasting this month?

13. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (621) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

No emails yet. I would bet they are more concerned about their anniversary events all week.

wolf13 likes this.
  14. chrisjws

Trader

I figured as much, I can never be sure as I've had email issues in the past.

15. Xul

Xul Crusader (762) May 18, 2008 California

The tasting will be next Tuesday, 07/10 for SD and PDX (Sunday, 07/08 for LA). They posted a schedule with key tasting/sale/release dates for the remainder of the year last month.

johnInLA and chrisjws like this.
  16. HopHead89

HopHead89 Initiate (137) Oct 20, 2016 California
    Trader

most def...
    #hunnits
    Now I wonder if they hold up like monkish beers !?
    #TeamOldIPA

17. ChazMania

ChazMania Initiate (197) Jun 13, 2006 California

I had my last can of DDH Orderville yesterday, canned 4/10/18 and it was still completely fantastic.

OTB likes this.
  18. OTB

Oh they hold up quite well, as good if not better in some cases.

Cheers,

HopHead89 likes this.
  19. moonknight31

moonknight31 Devotee (445) Aug 23, 2009 California
    Trader

anyone else going to the second session of the anniversary party tomorrow?

20. SDReaper

Trader

Yup. And based on current weather forecasts...it won't be much cooler than first session. =(

21. Redondo_Terp

Redondo_Terp Initiate (21) Jan 19, 2018 California

For anyone in the LA South Bay, Naja's has four of the Monster's Park BBA adjuncts on tap. Naja's also had an MT pineapple milkshake IPA called Llano del Rio that I have not seen before, but I found it to be a cloying mess & tough to finish.

22. Rick760Sd

Rick760Sd Initiate (156) Jun 5, 2012 California

Yes, I am. Actually looking for a ticket for a friend. Anyone out there who knows about any for sale, please hit me up.

23. sportstsar

sportstsar Initiate (157) Jan 23, 2012 California

So the LA tasting is on a Sunday this time around? Anyone know if this is going to be a regular thing?

24. R1c0rtez

R1c0rtez Initiate (38) Oct 5, 2012 California

Unfortunately I don't have tickets for the second session. But if they really want to attend, I have 2 available for the first session. Double booked myself, planning to attend a concert here in LBC instead of going driving to San Diego. If anyone is interested, pm me.

HopHead89 likes this.
  25. SDReaper

Trader

Well, based on the schedule link that Xul provided, no, it would appear to be on Tuesdays for the rest of the year....but like all things I would assume it is subject to change since those tastings aren't being held by a property owned by MT.

26. Xul

Click the link and your questions will be answered...

Redondo_Terp likes this.
  27. sportstsar

sportstsar Initiate (157) Jan 23, 2012 California

I clicked the link and did indeed see Tuesdays through the rest of the year. I guess a better question would have been.... why a Sunday this time around and is there potential for it to happen again?

28. Xul

Last time it was on a Sunday was because the usual venue was taken on Tuesday. As far as potential to happen again, sure, it's possible, shit happens. If something changes, I have no doubt they'll let LA members know as soon as possible.

29. dcbullet

dcbullet Initiate (116) Dec 18, 2013 California

I'm here with the dumb question. The tickets to the anni party are just the email confirm?

30. Xul

No scannable tickets were issued so I'm assuming they'll be going through the line with a list of names (or at least that's how they've done it in the past).

chrisjws and dcbullet like this.
  31. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (242) Feb 28, 2015 California

so stoked on more modem tones bottles. LESSS GOOO

BeerBaron666 and SoNiC21 like this.
  32. chrisjws

Trader

'Twas a good time in the first session, my only gripe (and the group I was with) was that we couldn't purchase more pours when we had gone through everything by 1pm. So we made due and just went down to the taproom and got a few pours.

33. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Zealot (597) Mar 10, 2013 California

Can we institute a new rule where @Xul has to have like at least 48hrs before the sale goes live to post his tasting notes???

Black_Rider likes this.
  34. SDReaper

Trader

I mean....league members in LA had their tasting this past weekend....a little surprised to not see any notes from them. But then not really surprised...because LA. Hehehehe =P

They were too busy watching their Dodgers put on the hurt while listening to the Padres and laughing at that 20-5 loss.....man did that one hurt.

SoCalBeerIdiot likes this.
  35. NicIsAwesome

NicIsAwesome Initiate (48) Jun 30, 2014 California

I went to the LA tasting but Ive held back my comments because 1, they're going to be eclipsed ten times over by Xul and 2, I was honestly pretty disappointed with the beers at the tasting.

I had really high hopes for the modem tones with raspberry and cacao. Jam the Radar is my favorite stout and modern times is my favorite brewery so I was pretty disappointed when I received my pour and the smell burned of alcohol. The taste wasn't nearly as bad as the nose but it wasn't really what I was expecting at all (I'll admit though, I don't have a lot of experience with rum ba beers or rum in general). I got a good amount of alcohol and raspberries up front followed up by some brown sugar in the back end (which was kinda surprising... This might be a personal taste thing who knows?). I think I need to revisit this one bc the taste was really not what I was expecting but it wasn't bad at all so my disappointment might be a little misled. The nose though... I'm not a fan. Definitely going to sit on my 2 bottles for a while to mellow out.

The rest of the beer reviews are going to be pretty quick bc to be honest, I'm not a big sour guy so maybe dont even waste your time reading haha

Fruitening part 1: good sour blend. Not much a filthy casual such as myself can discern from other quality sours I've had but i liked it, I'll get a bottle.

Fruitening part 2: Not the "jammiest" sour I've had but that is a word I'd use to describe this beer. It was also noticably thicker than part 1.

The berliner: tasted pretty good, not as sour as the other 2 superliners, kinda smoother/sweeter but definitely undercarbed. I'm wondering if they were poured into glass and sat out a while before serving or if my pour came from a bad can.

I love modern times. They're my favorite brewery and I don't expect every beer to be a home run nor do I expect any of their beers to please 100% of their customers so I feel bad writing a negative-ish review but I mean, im not even from LA but the "LAs gonna LA" thing irked me enough to take an extra long work poo and write this out.

Brent212, m34josh, IQBlue and 8 others like this.
  36. SDReaper

Trader

TBH, I didn't write a review of the beers either. While I didn't attend the LA tasting, most (I actually think all) of the beers for this month's sale were being served to us at the anniversary party. So I had an entire day prior to the LA tasting to do something, and I failed.... =P

NicIsAwesome likes this.
  37. NicIsAwesome

NicIsAwesome Initiate (48) Jun 30, 2014 California

Yeah, I can't speak for everyone else but I have this irrational fear of someone saying "you suck at tasting beer!" Whenever I post my opinion which is why I rarely do it. Just felt strongly enough about this tasting that I was really curious to see if people had the same notes as me.

By the way, the event was great (only my 2nd since I can't make weekday events). Stephen and the long hair guy with the target shirts are a pretty entertaining duo

SDReaper likes this.
  38. jwacky

This sentence is my favorite part of the review.

I'm definitely eager to try the MT Raspberry/Cocoa from the bottle tonight. It was one of my favorite pours from the anniversary party so curious to see if there'll be a difference or not. Interestingly enough, I typically don't like berry stouts at all. JTR didn't do anything for me.

Frosty11161 and m34josh like this.
  39. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (507) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

I was too busy taking the 10 to the 405 to the 101 to the 134 to the 2 to the 210

40. SDReaper

Trader

I stopped ready when I got to 405....that freeway can go DIAF

Frosty11161 and Black_Rider like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.