2019 Brewing Activities Thread

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (69) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Certainly lots of pointless babbling. The rest of us know what you are talking about VikeMan.

skleice and VikeMan like this.
  2. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (363) May 9, 2011 Michigan

@JimboBrews54 this thread is about current brewing activities. If you want to discuss your "old English" brewing techniques, start a new thread. Or better yet go to a different site.

3. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (363) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Getting a starter ready for what will be a Cali/ Idaho Rye Lager. Which is a lager with rye malt and cararye. Fermented with WY2112 California lager yeast and hopped with Idaho 7.

Also, kegged and added guava puree to a cashmere hopped kettle sour. First time using Amoretti purees, and so far impressed.

telejunkie, skleice and Eggman20 like this.
  4. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,574) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

I've been trying to figure out what the deal is with Amoretti craft purees. I get ads for them all the time. So I looked at the ingredients for their Blood Orange Puree:
    water, cane sugar, dextrose, fructose, orange, natural flavor, plant extractives
    Given orange's spot in the list, and the fact that there also ingredients listed after it, the amount of orange in this stuff is less than 20%. (How much less I don't know.) In spite of that, one of the ads I keep seeing says "Our Craft Purees are about 20x more concentrated than straight purees." I've emailed them about the latter, asking what that is supposed to mean. I'll post if they respond.

5. JimboBrews54

JimboBrews54 Champion (875) Apr 22, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

I will be brewing two new ones this weekend. I am going to make a Hefeweizen extract with Hallertrau hops, I will be using dried mangoes, bananas and oranges, no mash, just straight on flavor. But then again is that traditional enough or am I just spinning my wheels. My other one would be a going to be a golden hoppy ale, brewed with Pilsen light extract, 1 LB of Breiss grains, Mt. Hood, Liberty and UK East Kent Golds. Should be a golden ray of sunshine throughout my beer this summer!

6. frozyn

frozyn Defender (633) May 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

You may know what you're talking about, but your posts are doing a poor job of getting that across to others in the forum. Your post #410 -- the first in this thread actually in the spirit of the thread, to discuss beers currently being/very soon to be brewed -- is better, but still a bit rambling. How are you using the dried fruit in the hefeweizen? What kind of Briess grains are you using in the golden hoppy ale, and when are you using the hops (and how much of them)? You may consider providing this kind of information an attempt to "placate", but its part of the point of this thread. We learn from each other in that way.

I have never used black pepper in a beer, so I would in fact like to know more about how you and others have.

Eggman20 likes this.
  7. JimboBrews54

Trader

@frozyn I did not know there was a specific guideline of ideas or you had to be so precise that anyone really cared about input. Rambling is a good way to get ideas out, for the hefeweizen I will be using dried mangoes, the rest is all going to be fresh fruit at the bottom of the barrel with the hop pellets. I will just be warming and boiling the extract until golden, then pouring it in the bucket letting it all settle and then adding the yeast when it cools down. I need to get back to you on the golden ale, I need to figure that one out, any suggestions?

8. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (193) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

It’s also a good way to find yourself alone. Structure is good for many things in life. Especially conversations meant for exchanging ideas and insight. Otherwise, you are asking others to work too hard to understand you and your “unique” way of communicating.

You may have some great things to share. I think you are just being told how to do it better in this forum by people that have been at this for a long time.

9. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (127) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

On another note I’m brewing for another wedding soon(really opened a can of worms). I want to brew an 10 gallon ipa (obviously) and a refreshing American wheat ale/ Hefeweizen split fermentation. I have all the usual suspects in the hops freezer for a crowd pleaser using “cheater hops” so I’m thinking Citra mosaic cashmere for the 5 minute additions Dryhop half with those 3 and half with Sabro Medusa and strata to get weird with it. Any suggestions for hopping the wheat beers? I also considered souring half of the wheat beer wort for a strong Berliner Weiss. Sorry for the long post. Suggestions welcome

10. JimboBrews54

Trader

Hallertrau and Chinook for the wheat beer.

11. riptorn

riptorn Aspirant (273) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Amarillo or Idaho 7.
    In a 5-gal wheat-ish beer I whirlpooled 1 oz Pacific Jade, 1 oz Idaho and 2 oz Amarillo, and dryhopped 3 oz Idaho on day 3 with 5 g dried sweet orange peel. Very pleased with the orange aroma without a citric acid type of bite.

I'm a fan of wheat beers and of Amarillo. You might find some inspiration here. I haven't made it yet but intend to this summer. Of particular interest to me

deadwolfbones and chavinparty like this.
  12. Eggman20

If you're going to use fresh fruit I'd recommend freezing it first and adding after primary fermentation is complete. Most of the fruit flavor will get fermented out if you add it before adding the yeast.

You're last few posts have been more normal but we had a reason to be harsh since you were denying all advice and telling us off for giving it. Sounds like you are doing extract batches with steeping grains so some of your posts make a little more sense. VikeMan was trying to make two simple points that are indisputable brewing facts: 1. Boiling grains is a bad idea and will not lead to good beer. You can "steep" or mash grain at temps under 170 F. 2. Not everything is fermentable.

So in short: keep your posts more on point to the topic (this thread is about brewing activities), feel free to create new threads if you want get ideas out, take feedback from experienced brewers, and don't ramble about random things.

13. Eggman20

Back on topic I bottled my first "pastry" stout yesterday with a FG of 1.052. For sure the highest FG in my brewing life so hopefully it'll be able to bottle carbonate without any issues. Planning to make an Irish Stout next aiming for a 4% abv which will get a healthy dose of vanilla beans. Also am getting impatient with the carbonating of my Berry Lager. It tastes great but just needs some more bubbles or it just tastes like fruit juice.

14. VikeMan

I think right around 1.050-ish is the sweet spot (no pun intended) for big, sweet stouts. Were you aiming for 1.052, or are you concerned that the yeast quit early and therefore may not be up to carbonating the bottles?

Eggman20 likes this.
  15. Eggman20

Yeah I was aiming for right around 1.050 but for sure concerned that the yeast may not carbonate it. Being a novice on this type of beer I'm probably just overthinking it.

16. VikeMan

What's the ABV and the yeast strain?

17. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (448) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

i am also interested in souring yeast. Never heard that said.

MrOH, Supergenious and riptorn like this.
  18. Eggman20

OG and FG notes are at home but I'm sure the abv is somewhere between 8.5-9%.

I used Denny's Favorite 1450 (for the first time) pitched at a rate of 1.0 m/ml (about 600B) and fermented at 65 for a few days before letting it rise to 68. Also I don't have a way to directly add oxygen so I just dump from the kettle into the fermentor and use a wine degasser for some more oxygen. Never had a problem getting the fermentation where I want it doing it this way though.

I think some of my nervousness is using the 1450. Maybe I should have stuck with a yeast I know well like 1056 as I've gotten it to ferment to 15% abv before (though I was aiming for lower attenuation). Maybe tried too many new things at once here but hopefully it turns out alright in the end.

#418 Eggman20, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
  19. VikeMan

I've never used 1450, but it's supposed to have an ABV tolerance of about 10%. My guess, given that your FG was close to what you expected, is that your carbonation will be fine. Maybe a little slow, but probably fine.

Eggman20 likes this.
  20. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,007) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Hey, me too! That being said, you don't have to know shit about cooking, flavors, or fermentation to pass the ServSafe exam. If you don't have any extra chromosomes, it's pretty much guaranteed.
    Please, everyone on here is trying to help. If you're actually a cook, you know that helping words often come across as harsh. We are trying to protect you from yourself.

GormBrewhouse and chavinparty like this.
  21. riptorn

riptorn Aspirant (273) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I agree. :slight_smile:

chavinparty likes this.
  22. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (127) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

Lukass and GormBrewhouse like this.
  23. GormBrewhouse

Hahahahah, was thinkin of her as well. Let the MADDNES continue.

24. invertalon

invertalon Crusader (779) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Dry hopped the pale this morning. Forgot how 'slow' US-05 chugs along, even at 67-68F. It was rehydrated, as well. For a 1.051 OG, I am now 5 days in and still around 1.018. I have lagers that finish quicker!

I am doing a short dry hopping, 12-24hrs total. So I will keg either tonight or first thing tomorrow morning with hopefully, 2-3 points remaining on transfer into the keg for spunding.

So far, hydro samples taste awesome.

25. Silver_Is_Money

Silver_Is_Money Initiate (61) Jun 4, 2017 Ohio

I just bottled a batch of Kolsh this morning.

26. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Meyvn (1,286) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Moderator Society

@JimboBrews54 stop trolling this thread with that shit. Now everybody move on to contributing what you're brewing.

Shanex, zimm421, Buck89 and 7 others like this.
  27. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (125) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

I'm back on my feet as of Monday, so I'm planning to brew a double batch of a hybrid British/American barleywine tomorrow, which will replace my pastry stout when it comes out of my bourbon barrel. It's basically a Bigfoot clone, but using Maris Otter and MO Crystal in place of the American malts. Same hopping schedule, though.

I'm also hoping to get to a grisette soon. Shooting for 3.8% and planning to use Hallertau Blanc and this one-off White Labs yeast: https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-bank/wlp546-mara-n-canyon-wild-cacao

28. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,007) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

So I have been busy fishing and deciding that I'd rather do that than fuck around with beer. Racked the smoked export stout that I should have bottled a month ago onto bourbon soaked oak a couple of weeks ago. Depending on weather, might bottle that or knock out a quick extract batch on my next day off. If it's nice, I'll be out on the banks.

29. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (125) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Brewed the first half of the Britfoot barleywine tonight. 90 minute mash, 120 minute boil, and hit my numbers perfectly. 1.098 OG and 1.5 packs of US-05 pitched at 65F. Looking good!

chipawayboy, riptorn, Jesse14 and 3 others like this.
  30. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,848) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Checking in on the low gravity oatmeal stout with a hydrometer sample after one week. Down from 1.049 to 1013. Tastes like it still needs some settling time, a little of that back of the throat hop-yeast bite. I think the combo of flaked oats and barley was really good for building body, but it comes at the cost of malt contributions from base malt. Maybe I needed to bump crystal malts from 7.5% to 10%.

31. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (266) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Haven’t been as active posting lately but yesterday was big Brew day so I did a pale ale with pils/2row, Columbus at 30 then whirlpooled Columbus,Amarillo, Centennial. Dry hopping with the same and fermented with HotHead kviek.

Jesse14, chipawayboy, riptorn and 3 others like this.
  32. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (2,970) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Just finished brewing my first Vienna Lager. Vienna, Munich, and a touch of Chocolate Malt. Used Warrior for bittering (because I had extra) and Saaz for flavor.

My next brew will be an IPA and I'm contemplating using Voss Kweik for it. Any thoughts/opinions are welcomed.

chipawayboy, skleice and riptorn like this.
  33. skleice

skleice Aspirant (265) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Just kegged a Galaxy, Amarillo & Simcoe NEIPA and bottled the Porter. Both are tasting very nice. I'm excited for these 2 brews...starting to really dial in these GF ingredients and enzymes.

34. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (435) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Made a 4.6% milk porter something along the line of Hill Farmstead’s Shirley Mae. Gravity finished a little high as expected w/the lactose addition/high temp/short mash. Used a few low bitterness roasted malts for the first time. Added vanilla/cacao tincture and cold brewed 3oz espresso roast coffee a day or two prior to racking to a pin. Served at the May Day home brew cask fest in Watertown MA. Super happy w/result. Coffee dominated the aroma /flavor and back end was slightly sweet. Low carb real ale conditioning added a nice creamy mouthfeel. Cheers Homebrewers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

35. GormBrewhouse

Excellent, love this muti roast/specialty grain bill

chipawayboy likes this.
  36. skleice

skleice Aspirant (265) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

#436 skleice, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
  37. GormBrewhouse

After 6 days of constant visitors and who knows how many trips to the cellar and after 4 days of rest I took stock of my supply. Very limited is a understatement, so,,,,,
    This weekend is Irish stout, followed by eds grain store or should I say a lightly hopped pale.
    Monday will be Burton ale and Tuesday will be the TH3 light or a multi hopped ipa, 6 additions to be exact in the boil.

And if u were wondering,,,,,,, we started with 24 gallons an I now have 1. Not to mention a big load of return bottles. Wheeeeew

Kolsch, Jesse14, telejunkie and 5 others like this.
  38. Gsulliv2

Gsulliv2 Initiate (93) Dec 9, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Brewed a NEIPA over the weekend hopped primarily with Motueka - will be keg hopping with Nelson and Galaxy.

Unfortunately my LHBS shut down and I wasn't paying close attention while in the one across town - in doing so I bought a pound of raw wheat instead of wheat malt (only makes up about 6.5% of my grain bill).

Any thoughts on what this will do to my finished product? so far the beer in fermenting in the bucket looks murkier than i remember but this could be all in my head. thanks!!

GormBrewhouse, skleice and telejunkie like this.
  39. telejunkie

telejunkie Aspirant (254) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

My kegerator ran dry for the first time in a long time by end of April...so brew-a-thon time.

So far have brewed 35 gallons from 3 brew sessions in the last 10 days...a hazy IPA (half split with Lemondrop heavy DH, the other Simcoe heavy DH), a Blond ale/Lager split batch, and a half barrel of brown ale which 10 gallons is going into a bourbon barrel. Next up this weekend is an export stout, half going the choco-coffee route, the other half remains unspoiled. Off to Michigan next week and guessing will be time to brew another IPA by the time I get back....

Got the IPA up on tap on Monday and hopefully will be kegging the Blond by the end of this week with little Vic Secret DH....and @invertalon 's point...the Blond was pitched with US-05 and the lager took off faster and seemed to ferment stronger than the 05. Lager is at 52F and Blond is at 66F. Don't remember 05 going this slow before...this is like BRY-97 slow...

40. telejunkie

telejunkie Aspirant (254) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

Didn't notice you there Sully...you're saying wheat berries and not flaked or torrified wheat, correct? The malting process begins breaking down the proteins and beta-glucans found in the raw berries. Shouldn't play much of a role at all at that %...but it may add a touch more haze....hopefully they're already crushed? btw, bummed you aren't coming up next week.

Gsulliv2 likes this.