2019 Brewing Activities Thread

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Jan 2, 2019.

1. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (449) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Buds are out soo its spruce ale time brewing 1 this afternoon and another on sunday

2. telejunkie

telejunkie Aspirant (254) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

So far this week, kegged up my lager and 5gal of brown ale with the rest of the brown ale filling a barrel. Was gifted a hoprocket, so finally got the connects needed to plug it into my system and plan to brew an IPA this weekend to give it a first spin...

3. Lukass

Lukass Savant (971) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

Harvesting dregs from Scratch Brewing’s turmeric tonic, (which is supposedly their wild house culture) to use in a watermelon weiße.

50/50 pils/wheat. No boil, no hops. Will rack onto a few puréed watermelons for a month before kegging, should be a good summer crusher!

4. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (125) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Transferred my big-ass stout off the coconut and vanilla last night. Tastes amaaaaazing but I'm gonna let it condition until the weather turns cold again.

5. skleice

skleice Aspirant (266) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Brewing a GF Kölsch tonight:
    Pale Millet
    Buckwheat Dextrin
    Spalt & Tettenanger
    K-97

Tomorrow I'll bottle the Raspberry Grisette.

telejunkie, GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  6. jimboothdesigns

jimboothdesigns Aspirant (265) Nov 1, 2014 Pennsylvania

Brewing an IPA today then a stout tomorrow using Black Walnut Syrup.

7. Naugled

Naugled Savant (916) Sep 25, 2007 New York
    Society

What is black walnut syrup?

8. skleice

We're having a party in a few weeks so I brewed up another IPA.

Pale Millet
    Pale Rice (for lautering)
    Light Roasted Millet
    Crystal Buckwheat 20L (shouldn't actually add much color)
    Citra & Apollo
    S-04

On a side note, I hate hydrometers and bottling wands....both broke this weekend. I've already replaced them multiple times.

riptorn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  9. minderbender

minderbender Aspirant (222) Jan 18, 2009 New York

Have you thought about going with a refractometer? I switched a few years ago and I love it.

10. skleice

I have one, but always thought it wasn't as accurate. Do you use it for post fermentation?

11. minderbender

Yeah, I use it for everything. You have to adjust the readings with a calculator (there's one in BrewCipher, and there are a lot online as well), but beyond that I don't think it's inaccurate. Maybe a little imprecise sometimes, but for homebrewing purposes I think it's precise enough. Whenever I've bothered to compare it to my hydrometer it's given essentially identical readings (again, after adjusting with a calculator).

The big two advantages are (A) it's a lot harder to break than a hydrometer, and (B) it only takes a couple of drops of wort or beer. It is more expensive though.

riptorn, GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  12. skleice

I'll give it a go, tx!

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  13. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (70) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Brewing up an imperial Irish stout tomorrow to be the last beer in my 10 gallon barrel. Want to have a little lower Abv barrel aged beer so aiming for 7.5%. As good as the beers have been coming out of the barrel I will be happy to not have to do double batches for awhile not to mention bottling 10 gallons of beer.

Will add that @VikeMan you were right about my "pastry" stout. Had my first bottle yesterday and carbonation was decent. Maybe a bit low but it's not a style that needs much and it tasted great!

#493 Eggman20, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    SABERG, riptorn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  14. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (330) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

Still pretty chilly where I live so I think I’m going to try something along the lines of what Jolly Pumpkin does to make their beers.

Let the wort cool outside overnight and pitch yeast tomorrow morning.

Still trying to figure out if I should pre acidify to 4.5 and how many IBUs I should shoot for. Plan on giving it 9 months to a year if it’s not tasting to odd after primary is done.

15. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Meyvn (1,286) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Society

Kegged up my Witbier today as well as my Wheatwine that has been in a 5 gallon Whiskey (and honey) barrel for the past 2 months. Forgot to dump the Starsan after sanitizing, so it is no longer 11+%, but that 1/2 gallon was a perfect pH adjustment to make the finish sing.

riptorn, frozyn, Eggman20 and 3 others like this.
  16. GormBrewhouse

Brewing chocolate stout with new coco nibs.

17. jimboothdesigns

There are about 22 species of trees one can tap for making syrup. I happen to have a bunch on the property. My family likes it better than Maple syrup, much nuttier.

GormBrewhouse, Naugled and skleice like this.
  18. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (266) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Just brewed 5 gallons of an oatmeal stout and fermenting with us-05

19. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Meyvn (1,286) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Society

Mash & Boil is heating at home while I finish work. When I get off I will dough in for a super dry 4.6% estery session IPA. 2Row, Oats, Carastan, Carapils. Quick boil with a small 30 minute Azacca charge, then a WP of Chinook, Falconer's Flight, and El Dorado, with Mosaic and Citra cryo, as well as CTZ lupin powder. Fermenting with my Nectarine Blossom yeast at 75°F.

20. skleice

Love the delayed heating on my grainfather. I brew most Friday nights cuz it's so easy!

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  21. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (330) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

Giant yeast starter, I mean Blonde Ale today.

Admiral Gallagher’s Best Pale
    20% Pils
    5% Aromatic
    Riwaka for bittering
    Idaho Gem @ 20, 2oz @ 180, DH with 2oz

Gonna do another one tomorrow that will either be all Nelson I think.

Building up two strains to see how long I can keep them going.

TYB Midwestern Ale and yeast harvested from cans of Crooked Stave IPA.

22. FathomlessBrewing

FathomlessBrewing Initiate (26) Mar 1, 2018 California

I love Admiral's malts. Their Pilsner malt is the best I've ever tasted, personally.

This weekend: Bottling up the golden stout and brewing a SMaSH Pale Ale with Admiral Gallagher's Best and Mosaic. This will be kegged once our pilsner is tapped (it's pretty close, I think).

the IPA we brewed is taking a while to ferment, normally Imperial Yeast tears through my wort so I'm thinking this was maybe a little past it's prime? After 8 days it went from 1.062 - 1.028 but I'm still seeing activity. I raised the temp to hopefully get down to at least 1.018 but that still isn't great. I might give it an extra week or feed it some sugar?

The stout we were planning on brewing is getting put on the burner for now because we need some light beers for the hot months. Having a cajun boil in the summer so we want to have either a pils or pale on tap. Just an excuse to have a double brew day, I think.

On the schedule:
    Milkshake IPA (always wanted to brew one so we are going to do a strawberry one, soon)
    Stout with Hazelnuts & Vanilla
    Imperial Weizenbock
    Old Ale w/ black treacle

23. GormBrewhouse

I make maple syrup. Can you say when you tap and is the proces and equiptment similar, like temp and gravity? If so I may have to make some fer me. I have a few black walnut trees on my place.

jimboothdesigns likes this.
  24. jimboothdesigns

It tastes great and uses the same equipment. However, I think maple syrup is 40:1 (40 gallons of sap equals 1 gallon of syrup) but black walnut is 80:1

25. GormBrewhouse

Actually, it can be 20-60 to one for maple depending on the sap.

80-1 is very weak sap, what is the average expected syrup/ tap?

26. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (125) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Last night I brewed a semi-impromptu Belgian pale ale. Mecca Grade Pelton & Shaniko w/ ~18% rye. Cashmere hops (Comet for bittering), Meyer lemon zest and lemon verbena at flame-out, and a co-pitch of Crossmyloof saison and "Belgian" yeast.

Airlock was already going nuts when I woke up this morning. :grin:

27. skleice

Kegged up a Citra/Mosaic IPA.

Also I'm currently toasting red lentils for tomorrow's Hefe brew day?!?! Lentils are used quite a bit in GF brewing due to the protein to fat ratio. I haven't enjoyed the commercial examples I've had, but they also used sorghum and rice syrups (which I don't care for). So, this is a 2 gallon experiment....we shall see.

28. jimboothdesigns

Cool. I was just reading about the history of using malted peas and beans. It's an old article but interesting: http://zythophile.co.uk/2012/10/16/pea-beer/

riptorn, GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  29. minderbender

30. GormBrewhouse

Bottleing spruce a le#1 and a ipa

31. FathomlessBrewing

FathomlessBrewing Initiate (26) Mar 1, 2018 California

Polished off the keg of a hoppy Pilsner this weekend, luckily we have a SMaSH Mosaic Pale Ale waiting to be kegged up now!

The golden stout precarbed tasted absolutely amazing. I was really surprised at the depth of flavor we achieved with this one. It's decadent without being overbearing and all of the flavors play off eachother perfectly. Can't wait for it to be carbed up.

skleice, GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  32. ChazBoner

ChazBoner Initiate (103) Jun 29, 2014 Tennessee

Brewed for the first time in almost 9 months. I'm calling this a 'Dunkel Saison'

All extract
    10 oz Caramel
    5 oz Carapils
    7-8 oz Rye
    -steeped for 23 minutes then-
    3.15 lbs dark liquid malt extract
    3 lbs dry wheat male extract
    -hop boil- 60 minutes
    1 oz Tettnang
    +30 minutes/ Pride of Ringwood
    +50 minutes/ Coriander and a bit of yeast nutrient.
    1 packet Belle Saison dry yeast

Pitched higher than I would have liked because I misread my thermometer, about 80 degrees. OG: 1.054. Fermenting warm at ambient temperature (76-79), after 60 hours will probably try to move to a cooler location. Nice krausen and aroma, hope this batch turns out tasty.

33. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,849) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I finally got around to kegging this tonight. The sample I pulled has a somewhat citrusy and maybe ever so slightly phenolic note to it . It is a little difficult to say for sure what I was tasting. Will let it carb up and re-evaluate in a few weeks. If I had to categorize it to a style, maybe American blond? Unless it passes for a Norwegian farmhouse ale. I saved about a pint of yeast, which I may use in an IPA this weekend.

34. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (608) Mar 28, 2009 California

Kegged my cream ale. Just a little under two weeks in primary, no cold crash or finings. Should clear up nice.

[​IMG]

My brewing partner. Helping blow off some O2. The pressure and sound makes her laugh.

[​IMG]

#514 GetMeAnIPA, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    eaglepar3, SABERG, Jesse14 and 11 others like this.
  35. skleice

Tonight I'm brewing up a 3 gallon batch of my GF Porter 3.0. Adjusted the grain bill slightly and will be racking onto cacao nibs in secondary. Trying to get my stash at full capacity for summer!

36. GormBrewhouse

Brewing the TH-3 light pale ale.

37. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (363) May 9, 2011 Michigan

About to get a starter going for a NEIPA. Going with Conan this time, which will be my first time using. It’ll be hopped with 1/2# of El Dorado, and 2 oz each of cryo Simcoe, Idaho 7, Mosaic, and Cashmere (getting rid of some leftovers).

38. TheWorstBrewerEver

TheWorstBrewerEver Initiate (50) Aug 10, 2016 Norway

just kegged and bottled 7 gallons of hoppy pseudo lager with Oslo kveik and centennial.

39. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (267) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

Just brewed a simple saison with some late El Dorado additions. Hoping for a tasty summer session beer.

40. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (2,975) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

In the middle of the whirlpool for an "IPA." A small Warrior bittering addition and then Citra/Simcoe/Amarillo all in the WP. Going to ferment at 85-90 with Voss Kveik. Should be interesting.