2019 Brewing Activities Thread

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Jan 2, 2019.

1. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (387) May 2, 2006 Utah

Well, I finally had one of my four kegs kick. I can now think about the next brew. Probably a 5.5% pale ale of some sort, something good for the summer. Cheers!

2. TheWorstBrewerEver

TheWorstBrewerEver Initiate (50) Aug 10, 2016 Norway

sounds like a good beer. what temperature are you going to ferment at?

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  3. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (2,970) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Thanks. Going to ferment around 30C. Just pitched the yeast an hour ago.

TheWorstBrewerEver likes this.
  4. skleice

skleice Aspirant (265) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Just kegged the Kölsch & Citra/Apollo IPA. Porter & Hefe still happily bubbling away.

5. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (448) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Brewed a black Belgian stout

6. Naugled

Naugled Savant (916) Sep 25, 2007 New York
    Society

Just finished brewing 14 gallons of Hefeweizen. I used 4 gallons of the unhoppod wort to top up a couple of my soleras. And I put 10 gallons in a fermenter. Summer is here.

7. Buck89

Society Trader

Update: 28 hours after pitching, gravity was at 1.009 (OG was 1.063). Just added the dry hops and I'll keep the beer at 90 for 2-3 days. Wild.

8. GormBrewhouse

Adding nibs and hard maple wood to brown, adding oak to black Belgian.

9. utahbeerdude

Brewday today! Making a Pale Ale with mostly Briess Pils, some Crisp MO, and a touch of Gambrinus Honey malt. Late hopped only with 1 oz each of Azacca, Calypso, and Mandarina Bavaria at 10 minutes and then the same again for a 160 F, 30 minute hopstand. Will dry hop, most likely with the Azacca and maybe a bit of Centennial thrown in also. Fermenting with Notty. Cheers!

10. TheWorstBrewerEver

TheWorstBrewerEver Initiate (50) Aug 10, 2016 Norway

Just ordered the ingredients for the averagely perfect brown ale. unfortunately the yeast was a special order and takes 2 weeks to get here.

11. utahbeerdude

The best laid plans...

Had to call an audible, as I only had 3 lbs of the Pils. So ended up with a 70% MO grist. I also found some GW Caramel Steam (50L) that I had (and have never used), so I went with that rather than the Honey Malt.

Cheers!

GormBrewhouse, riptorn and skleice like this.
  12. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (607) Mar 28, 2009 California

Had my first blow out. I even had a blow off tube. I don’t use the PET bottle much as I use my speidel and had less headspace then I thought.

[​IMG]

Must have had some good pressure build up. Wort all over the fridge.

[​IMG]

#532 GetMeAnIPA, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  13. GormBrewhouse

Brewing another spruce ale Friday.

14. GetMeAnIPA

I need to try that yeast.

15. telejunkie

telejunkie Aspirant (254) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

Hosting my homebrew club meeting at my house next Friday and hosting the special lady friend's work department party on Wednesday...so kegged up 10 gallons of IPA last night, and ready to keg up 10 gallons of "barrel-aged" (only about a month though) brown ale, that I added some cognac-soaked oak chips to the barrel. Hoping to brew up a half barrel of imperial stout to refill the barrel this weekend...we'll see.

16. telejunkie

telejunkie Aspirant (254) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

Hefeweizen is on deck next (after stout)...was down in Charlotte, NC and had Hornet's Nest by Olde Mecklenburg Brewing. Hit the spot after a long day on the road, inspired me to get some 3068 as soon as I got home.

17. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (330) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

Tabbed to brew a bunch of beers for a friends wedding in a few months. Brewing a few trial batches to see how the lovebirds like them before we commit, especially for the hoppy beers. They’ve asked for a Pilsner or two (which are already lagering) something light and tart, Pale Ale, IPA with NZ hops, and a IIPA of sorts.

Brewed the Pale Ale yesterday

Admiral Gallagher’s Best
    8% Carahell
    Acid Malt
    Hopshot @60
    HBC692/Simcoe @ 20
    Citra@ 5
    HBC692/Simcoe WP
    1.052 and hopefully 1.012
    Dry Hop it with some combo of the 3 hops.

Hope to brew the IPA and IIPA tomorrow, we’ll see if I can get through a double brew day successfully.

18. Push_the_limits

Push_the_limits Initiate (43) Feb 8, 2018 Antarctica

Brewed a partial mash "Harvest Beer" with ingredients found around the local wild, including redwood tips and fescue (specifically holcus lanatus). The fescue provided a surprisingly pleasant mellow and nutty flavor. I used 9 oz dried/roasted weight of the fescue on top of pilsner malt and pilsner extract in about 6 gal.

The redwood provided surprisingly no flavor despite boiling 2.75 oz for 60 mins. Yet they had intense flavor when chewing it!

The redwood tips
    [​IMG]

GormBrewhouse, skleice and riptorn like this.
  19. riptorn

riptorn Aspirant (273) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Maybe you boiled the flavor out of the tips, similar to what happens with hops oils in a 60 minute boil?

Push_the_limits likes this.
  20. Push_the_limits

That's honestly a great thought. But I also tasted the wort at 5 mins, 10 mins, 15 mins, etc. The original plan was to go 15 mins but nothing came of it. Was really surprised by this.

riptorn likes this.
  21. riptorn

Society Trader

#541 riptorn, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Push_the_limits likes this.
  22. Push_the_limits

That's really a great idea. I was gonna do just a primary only and could easily toss some more in there. I think I'll go for that!

riptorn likes this.
  23. GormBrewhouse

With spruce I use1 quart at 10 minutes for 5-6 gallon batch. Love the beer for sure, gonna make 4 batches this year. Seems to b popular with the clan this year.

24. Push_the_limits

So you use a quart of volume? That's a lot more than I used. I wonder how much that weighs? @GormBewHouse

riptorn likes this.
  25. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,248) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I brewed another batch of Spruce Ale a few weeks ago. As with past batches I used a total of 4 ounces of freshly picked Blue Spruce fresh tips (about 1 inch in length) which I added at the end of boil and let stand for 30 minutes. When I harvested these tips I used a bowl. I would guess from eye balling that they would have been less than a 1 quart container. I prefer to use weight to measure my spruce tips.

Cheers!

26. GormBrewhouse

Never weighed it, just pick them fresh after the boil starts till the quart is full, but not packed. It's not heavy when picking the new growth, the spruce tips are more like ferns than branches when young

riptorn and Push_the_limits like this.
  27. GormBrewhouse

Jack is more accurate, but then again, I am the run an gun Brewer. Oh look there's another woodchuck, gotta go

28. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,248) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Looks like you will be eating good tonight?:wink:

Cheers!

29. TheBeerery

TheBeerery Initiate (92) May 2, 2016 Minnesota

Brewing a Kolsch today and live streaming it.

30. riptorn

Society Trader

You probably know this but it's worth mentioning anyway. To get rid of any nasties, the redwood tips should probably be sanitized before going in the fermentor.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  31. Push_the_limits

They have a waxy coating so would you recommend soaking them in a light iodophor solution or would that taint the flavor?

Also, do you cut them before putting them in the boil or fermentor?

32. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,848) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour… you’re gonna see some serious shit.

33. Lukass

Lukass Savant (971) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

Puréed 2 whole watermelons the other day and racked a Berliner weiss onto them. Ended up with around 3 gal of juice so split the beer between two carboys. Little bit of extra headspace that I didn’t want, but whatever. This batch will be consumed quickly. Now if I could just finish this keg of cryo mosaic NEIPA, I can get this one on tap. The agony! :wink:

34. GetMeAnIPA

Would love to try this. Brewing my first Berliner or maybe a gose soon. After the first run I want to add fruit and I love watermelon. Have you tried this before? Also, thinking of doing one with pineapple. Does doing a purée work the best? I’ve only used frozen fruit before in an ipa.

GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  35. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (330) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

Just started the second brew of the day

Brew 1 All NZ IPA
    Admiral Gallagher’s Best
    Briess Aromatic
    Acid Malt
    Riwaka @60
    Nelson/Motueka @20
    Riwaka @5
    Nelson/Motueka/Wai-iti WP @ 170
    TYB Midwest

Brew 2 IIPA
    Admiral Gallagher’s/Rahr 2 Row
    Flaked Oats
    Briess Aromatic
    Acid
    Hopshot @ 90
    Zeus @ 60/20
    Citra @ 5
    Nelson/Galaxy/Strata WP
    Conan/644/Metschnikowia Reukaufii

Smoked some chicken and ribs and make some smoked tomatillo Salsa at the same time... big day!

36. Lukass

Lukass Savant (971) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

I’ve been wanting to try watermelon for a while now, but this is my first time actually. I have, however, fermented a Berliner on pineapple in secondary. I chopped up a whole pineapple, and blended with an immersion blender. Only reasoning for doing this was to make pouring into narrow necked carboy much easier. It infused pineapple flavors nicely!

Will let you know how this watermelon version turns out

riptorn, skleice and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  37. Buck89

Society Trader

Just finished kegging this Kveik IPA and the closed transfer went well. I was worried about clogs as I put 5 oz of free hop pellets in the fermenter but things went well after a 2 day cold crash. Stayed at 2-3 PSI. It's tasting very clean even just 8 days after brewing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lukass, GetMeAnIPA, Jesse14 and 4 others like this.
  38. riptorn

Society Trader

First a disclaimer: I haven’t messed with redwood tips and I don’t use iodophor. My comments about sanitizing were general in nature and intended to convey the mindset that one might get unexpected or undesirable results when adding something wild to the fermentor if there are unknowns about what the wild thang might harbor.
    So, just some thoughts as a result of ruminating rather than experience.

That said, if my boil was done and I decided after the fact to add redwood tips, I’d probably boil some water, drop the temp to about 180°, add the tips and hold the temp above 165° for about 15 minutes, drain and add the tips to the fermentor.
    Chopping them up; not sure. I guess that’d be a judgement call depending on how strong they are.
    Waxy coating; not sure about that either, nor how it could affect mouthfeel and head retention.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Additional disclaimer: I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

39. GormBrewhouse

riptorn likes this.
  40. GormBrewhouse

Brewed a request, birthday beer.

Old school using lbs of specialty malts and whole hops only. While hops for dry hop as well.

Love old school brew.

Buck89, skleice and riptorn like this.