2019 Brewing Activities Thread

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Jan 2, 2019.

1. JohnConnorforealthistime

JohnConnorforealthistime Initiate (60) Mar 10, 2016 Wisconsin

Double brewday for father's day. First is a pale ale for my brother's annual BBQ party he hosts.

95% Rahr 2-row
    3% Caravienna
    2% Cara 45

Hops are Pacifica and a touch of Amarillo. I'm convinced Amarillo is THE best accent hop there is. I fermented with Hornindal Kveik. My wife's tasting notes of the hydro sample was "fruit loops." Can't wait to see where this finishes.

Second is an IPA for my county fair comp. My first comp.

75% Rahr 2-row
    20% Barke Vienna
    5% Pale Wheat

Hops are Amarillo, Citra, Centennial and Ger Magnum fermented with 1318.

riptorn, skleice and GormBrewhouse like this.
  2. skleice

skleice Aspirant (265) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Yesterday: Bottled GF Hefeweizen

Today: Brewing Passion fruit Witbier

Tomorrow: Brewing NEIPA with Galaxy, Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe & Columbus.

Buck89, GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  3. Push_the_limits

Push_the_limits Initiate (43) Feb 8, 2018 Antarctica

Getting ready for the next brew: Anchor Steam-ish beer, with the ingredients I already have on hand.

I'll basically use 2-row, 12% C 40L, and hop it as follows:

--Hops --- Northerm Brewer is recommended but I don't have it
    .5 oz Willamette @ 60 mins
    1 oz Willamette @ 15 mins
    .5 oz Willamette @ 0 mins

Another thing is I am using a Kolsch yeast (WY2565), which is pretty close to a lager strain

4. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (137) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Did an experimental Lager made with Barke Pils,Munich,and Carared bittered with Liberty and Hallertau blanc hops fermented with a mix of Wlp833,Wy2206 and Saf 34/70. Wanted color but no roast so i steeped special B and carafa lll in the kettle to get a amber or red hue. Should be interesting.

[​IMG]

riptorn, VikeMan, wasatchback and 3 others like this.
  5. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,571) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

Carafa III or Carafa III Special?

6. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (137) Dec 25, 2015 New York

It was Special. Steeped about 15 mins right before the boil.

7. VikeMan

I thought it might be. I only mentioned it because I have a friend who recently used Carafa III(not special) in a beer where the Special version would have been more appropriate, i.e. better for minimizing roastiness.

8. skleice

I have the house to myself, so I'm doing a last minute brew with some odds and ends I have on hand.

Classic (GF) American IPA:
    Chinook
    Centennial
    Cascade
    M44

9. invertalon

invertalon Crusader (778) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

No brewing until next weekend, but planning out my stop at the LHBS to replenish/refresh all my yeasts this weekend as my current inventory is a few generations old at this point, plus are old in age since the last time I had used them.

Going for WY2206, WLP833, WLP007 and perhaps Saflager 34/70 for those times I don’t have time to prep up my yeast starters. That is IF they have these yeasts… Otherwise I will be ordering online.

Next few brews planned are a German Pils, Helles and Rauchbier (Marzen-Style, with malt I will be smoking myself) and an imperial stout. Pils with 34/70, Helles with 2206, Rauchbier with the 833 and Stout with 007.

riptorn, GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  10. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (2,955) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

This morning, my son and I repeated my last brew from 2 weeks ago, an "IPA" with Citra/Amarillo/Simcoe and Voss Kveik. We will serve this at his friend's wedding in 3 weeks. Very gratifying to hit the exact same numbers today. This may become our house beer.

11. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,847) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Heating the water for a session Rye PA: target 1.040 OG, 53% Golden promise, 27% rye, 17% flaked oats, 3% honey malt. Small Nugget bittering charge, El Dorado and Azacca as whirl pool and dry hop. Kveik yeast re-harvested from previous batch.

12. loebrygg

loebrygg Aspirant (229) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

Using up som hops and brewing an IPA, dry hopped with Chinook and Mosaic Cryo

14 liter

OG: 1.066
    ~60 IBU

10% Wheat
    5% light Munich

25 g Nugget, 60 min
    25 g Azacca, 7 min
    25 g Mosaic & Chinook, WP (~80 C)

1/2 ts CaSO4 og 1 ts CaCl (33%) in the mash

13. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,158) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Packaged the fall Imperial stout last week, this week brewing this late summer Saison.
    Added some Spelt and Rye to this one, also using Valley Malt 2 row for the first time
    Cheers all

14. Push_the_limits

Bottled the Harvest Beer for 4th of July, which is brewed with grains and other things that grow on and are native to the land. Went for the USA caps.
    [​IMG]

15. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (328) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

All types of Mosaic IPA today

Admiral Gallagher’s Best Pale
    6% Aromatic
    3% Carafoam
    1oz Caraaroma for Color
    TYB Midwest Ale

Co2 extract @ 90
    .5oz Mosaic Pellets @ 45
    1oz Mosaic Pellets @ 20
    1oz Mosaic Cryo WP
    2oz Mosaic Leaf WP

Dry hop with blend of pellets and cryo.

16. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (447) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Dry hopped birthday ipa with cascade nugget and centenial
    Oaked Belgian black.
    Waiting for new cooler to convert to a new mash tun. After 6 years the old one is shot.

riptorn and skleice like this.
  17. VikeMan

Souring a wort for a cocoa raspberry Berliner. No exciting pics at this time.

18. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (83) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

Send it my way!! Cheers

Buck89 likes this.
  19. Push_the_limits

Brewed an updated partial mash version of a beer I created last year. It requires 2 yeast strains.

In 5.8 gallons:
    3 lbs Munich extract
    1 lb 15L
    1 lb Victory
    1 lb Maris otter

Mashed at 151 F

~hops / spice
    1.5 cup (4.5 oz) toasted oak cubes in boil and primary
    2 oz centennial 60 mins
    2 oz mandarina Bavaria 20 mins
    3 oz el dorado 10 mins

Pitch #1: Denny’s 1450 Yeast @ 73.5 F

Pitch #2: Will finish the fermentation with WLP099 (this is an extremely high-attenuating + malt-forward yeast)

Hit the OG right on @ 1.031 and am expecting about 4.0% ABV

20. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (266) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

A little late to the party but I just made a milkshake ipa with standard grain bill and lactose. Just dry hopped today with simcoe, Denali, Citra. Will be dry hopping again in 4 days with the same and adding mango purée then kegging after an additional 4 days.

Supergenious, Buck89, riptorn and 3 others like this.
  21. skleice

Funny that you just posted this. I'll be brewing a GF milkshake in a couple weeks with mango as well. Gonna go with Sabro & Vic Secret.

I've never even tasted a commercial milkshake example but I figured August is a good time to drink my first attempt.

22. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (447) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Bottling birthday IPA, planning @JohnSnowNW house pale, Burton ale, whole hop ipa and the last spruce ale over the 4th weekend.
    Gonna b burning up malt for sure

23. loebrygg

Dry hopped my IPA with 20 g Chinook and 40 g Mosaic Cryo, 14 liter
    day 5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Think I will go ahead and bottle in an other 5 days

24. Beejay

Beejay Poo-Bah (2,373) Dec 29, 2008 Virginia

Going to keg a Whiskey barrel aged barley wine, and brew an NEIPA. Drinking on a Belgian IPA, and a Saison at the moment.

Supergenious, Buck89, Naugled and 3 others like this.
  25. skleice

Kegging the Passion Fruit Wit & C-Hop IPA.

Was plan planning on kegging the Galaxy/Citra IPA, but it got stuck at 1.040. I used an enzyme in the mash that doesn't convert rice malt (10% of grist) in hopes of keeping a little higher FG, but it backfired on me. So, I roused the fermenter, raised the temp and added 2.5ml of AMG-300L to make the wort more fermentable. Things are already bubbling away. We'll see where she lands...

Later this week I'm brewing a 10% Milletwine that will age until New Year's.

26. Naugled

Naugled Savant (916) Sep 25, 2007 New York
    Society

Just finished Brewing the julious recipe from trinity in zymurgy. Missed the Og by a touch but otherwise a nice brew day.

Drinking a treehouse now in anticipation

27. invertalon

Society Trader

Brewed up my German Pils yesterday... OG of 1.050 and around 35 IBU with Gr. Magnum, Mittelfruh, Perle and Tettnanger. Pitched 2 packs of W-34/70 rehydrated. Had activity within hours, which I didn't expect given dry yeast usually lags a bit more. Have not used that yeast in a while as I have been using 2206 and 830 for a long time now. But I will admit, W-34/70 has made my best Pils, so curious how this one comes out compared to my last few!

Will be growing some yeast tonight for another brew day next weekend. Still pondering if I will do my Helles or Rauchbier.. If I do the Rauch, I will be cold smoking my grains after work today to prepare! Always just bought my smoked malt, but it's never quite intense/strong enough for me, even at high percentages (70%+). So time to make some fresh smoked malt to get me what i'm after.

riptorn, GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  28. invertalon

Society Trader

Have 8# of Dark Munich cold smoking! Which will be about 60% of the grist.

[​IMG]

29. riptorn

riptorn Aspirant (272) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Nice....Are those solid-bottom pans or do they have a screen type bottom? Have you done this with grains before?

30. invertalon

Society Trader

Yes, small perforated holes in the bottom. Grains misted with distilled water prior. Every 30mins or so stirring the grain bed.

Never done before. Always have used commercially available malts but never got the intensity I was after. So I figured why not, let's see how this goes!

Using a mix of fruit and hardwoods. Smoker temp never sees over 100F when I use my smoker tube only. Will be brewing the beer on Sunday, so it will have a week or so to air out in a brown paper bag and such.

skleice, riptorn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  31. riptorn

Society Trader

Did you taste the commercially smoked before crushing? If not, and if you still have some left, you could use them to gauge how intense your smokin' is.

32. invertalon

Society Trader

Of course! Always found it a lot less intense than you would expect given the end result. I've brewed quite a few Rauchbier, typically upping my smoked malt quantity each time. My most recent was some 85% and a mix of Beechwood, Cherry and Mesquite smoked. Was phenomenal, but still not quite where I want it intensity wise. Just coming back from Bamberg and drinking the hell out of these beers for a few days straight, I have an even more specific intensity in mind that I'm after! Haha.

I had the malt on the smoker for around 2.5 hours. It actually doesn't smell all that intense, but it might be because I was surrounded by so much smoke while actually doing it and desensitized. Currently doing a light drying in oven and then all set. Got my yeast starter going as well (one of two steps). Curious how the malt will smell and taste tomorrow.

#592 invertalon, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Buck89, riptorn and skleice like this.
  33. loebrygg

Saison
    pils and wheat, BE-136, Nugget to hit 20 IBU, 25 g Hallertau Mittelfruh at 15 min., 17 liter, OG: 1.057

SABERG, GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  34. loebrygg

35. MorningDew72

MorningDew72 Initiate (46) Aug 15, 2014 Washington
    Trader

Brewed first ever attempt at an english bitter sort of beer. Huge thanks to Bill at Machine House Brewery for the inspiration on this, one of my favorite beers ever in the world is their best bitter.

I kegged it today in the spunding/bright corny. sampled it and it is tasting pretty incredible at 4 days old, near still, and room temp! Should top at 4% max depending on how dry it gets but not much based on my past experience with london ale 3...

Maris otter, c-60, roasted barley (1%)...lightly hopped with EKG

Intensely flavorful and low enough alcohol to be an easy thing to have on tap for the summer!

[​IMG]

Buck89, SABERG, invertalon and 2 others like this.
  36. riptorn

Society Trader

Ain't it great when a plan comes together?

MorningDew72 and GormBrewhouse like this.
  37. loebrygg

Decided to bottle my Chinook Mosaic IPA

[​IMG]

(OG: 1.063)

[​IMG]

Buck89, SABERG, MorningDew72 and 4 others like this.
  38. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (387) May 2, 2006 Utah

Kegging my Summer Pale Ale I brewed ~3 weeks ago. Cheers!

39. MorningDew72

MorningDew72 Initiate (46) Aug 15, 2014 Washington
    Trader

Haha yep! I've brewed new styles of beer with much worse results so I'm pretty pleased it doesn't suck. Always striving for my "it's not bad" standard at the minimum haha

GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  40. loebrygg

24 hours later