2019 Brewing Activities Thread

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Naugled

Naugled Savant (916) Sep 25, 2007 New York
    Society

I'll have to debug at home, can't get on imgur at work anymore...

It's a steaming pile of hot mash...

2. A2HB

A2HB Initiate (69) Oct 30, 2013 Michigan

Hi what is your recipe for that spruce ale? I've been wanting to make one of those for a while now. Thanks!

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  3. A2HB

A2HB Initiate (69) Oct 30, 2013 Michigan

And just to stay on topic, will be brewing my wife's favorite Blackberry Cream ale this weekend.

It's just 2 row, Flaked maize, table sugar, Warrior @ 60, Saaz @ 5 and flameout, blackberry extract at bottling. She loves it so I make it a lot

4. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (331) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

Session IPA/Blonde Ale/Pale Ale Whatever
    Rahr 2 Row/GP
    10% white wheat
    5% Carahell
    Acid

Magnum for bittering
    HBC586 @ 20 and WP

Was trying to revive some old yeast but was a little skeptical when it came time to pitch. Noticed that the IPA I brewed two days ago was at high krausen so top cropped that for the yeast for this one. Bells yeast. I’ve top cropped before and made a starter off of it but never went right into another ferment. HBC586 smells amazing! Highly reccomend it.

riptorn, skleice and GormBrewhouse like this.
  5. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (449) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

5.5 gallons finished volume
    10 lb best ale malt
    .5 lb L20
    1 lb carapills
    mash 150
    sparge 170
    50 min boil
    1 oz cascade @50 and 10
    1 oz centenial 10 and 1 qt fresh norway spruce tips.
    1 pkt nottingham or nottingham slurry
    1 oz citra @FO
    1 oz citra DH 3 days

****i have found freezing tip then useing them boosts the spruce a bit much so now if using frozen spruce tip i use 1 pint or less***

SABERG, A2HB, riptorn and 1 other person like this.
  6. skleice

skleice Aspirant (266) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

- Brewing Citra & Mosaic NEIPA. Fermenting with Lalbrew New England

- Kegging Bravo, Citra & Amarillo NEIPA fermented with M36

- Bottling a 10% Milletwine that's been aging for 6 months. Adding some CBC-1 for insurance.

All gluten free of course...

7. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,576) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

Munich Helles racking hose sample.
    [​IMG]

Applecrew135, SABERG, riptorn and 3 others like this.
  8. Naugled

Society

Adding pic

9. Naugled

Society

Disassembled and cleaned 12 kegs today. Various sizes and types.

riptorn, GormBrewhouse and VikeMan like this.
  10. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Initiate (115) Mar 4, 2013 Texas

Slowly.....carefully.....brewing a sour IPA while on crutches.

11. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,576) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

That must make hopping difficult.

12. skleice

Ba Dump Bump

13. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Initiate (115) Mar 4, 2013 Texas

14. wasatchback

Trader

Predominantly Citra IIPA today. All available forms (at least that I have access too) and a bunch of different lots of it grown in 3 different states. Trying to make a single hop beer as interesting as possible.

Warrior at 90 and 30
    Citra Pellet @ 5
    Citra Cryo WP
    Citra Leaf Hopback
    American Noble Citra DH during ferment
    Blend of Leaf/Cryo/Pellet in DH
    Targeting 8%
    Bells Yeast/Vermont Ale blend

15. wasatchback

Trader

Priming two beers to condition in kegs for a while.

1st is a mixed ferm beer I used Omega C2C on. Used 7.7oz of Raw Wildflower honey.

2nd is a robust porter. Going to attempt to prime with Maple Syrup. Doubt I’ll get much flavor impact but even a touch would be nice.

riptorn, Maestro0708, skleice and 2 others like this.
  16. wasatchback

Trader

2nd attempt at something spontaneous tonight.

Gonna leave 6 gallons out overnight to cool. Transfer 5 into a fermenter and pitch the TYB Lithuanian strain. Transfer the other gallon into a jug to see what happens.

Tried this once before and the 1 gallon just ended up getting moldy. Going to acidify the wort to hopefully keep the nasties at bay and leave it in a more exposed area. Lows in the teens tonight.

SABERG, Eggman20, riptorn and 3 others like this.
  17. wasatchback

Trader

Guess I’m the only one brewing these days...

Something loosely inspired by a Kolsch but with more American Ingredients

Admiral Feldblume
    10% Mecca White Wheat
    Acidulated
    Magnum @ 90
    American Noble versions of Citra/Simcoe @40 and 10
    “Vermont Ale”

The wort smelled amazing. Really enjoying a lot of the Admiral Maltings offerings.

Took some influence from the Alchemist which ferments Kenny’s Kolsch with their house yeast at 56. So I built a huge starter, basically lager pitch rates, and pitched at 52. Was trucking right along at 56 the next AM.

SABERG, Maestro0708, riptorn and 2 others like this.
  18. GormBrewhouse

well, not the only one,
    bottled belgian blue berry, smoked magik and irish stout

brewed yesterday 2 hearted clone, message recieved pale, and a christmas stout.

Im doing my part. hahahahhahaahaa

19. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (267) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

Bottled the milk stout, planning a dark mild for next weekend. Cheers

20. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (363) May 9, 2011 Michigan

This may have been asked before, if so I apologize. But what do you do with all this beer? You seem to do a ton of brewing. Most of which sound freaking awesome.

jgnovak likes this.
  21. videofrog

videofrog Champion (815) Nov 13, 2010 Texas
    Society

Packaged my Dunkelweizen late last night. I was really paranoid about infection or other issues because my Tilt hydrometer was reading 1.002, when my expected FG was 1.014. I also used a "craft" yeast, The Window by Community Cultures. Their site says 70-75% attenuation, which should have put me in the FG range of 1.013-1.015. I mashed in at 156. Fermented at 66 for the first 48 hours, then 68 after.

Long story even longer, my Tilt must need to be calibrated before every batch, and the yeast attenuated more than expected. My "real" hydrometer showed a FG of 1.010. Sample tasted great with a balance of clove and banana that I liked.

MrOH, skleice, Naugled and 2 others like this.
  22. invertalon

invertalon Crusader (780) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

It's been a few weeks, but have a yeast starter of 830 going for a Munich Helles this weekend. Will just be like 85% Pils, 15% Munich and about 18 IBU's with Tettnanger.

New kitchen remodel begins mid-January for 6 weeks or so, so will need to get my pipeline full of goodies to make it through that time when I can't brew. I hope to squeeze in a porter/stout of sorts and an IPA. If i'm lucky, maybe a Hefeweizen.

23. skleice

Brewing another hoppy Amber/red IPA thingy with a few tweaks.

Also bottling a Saison that's been sitting on raspberries, strawberries, blackberries & blueberries.

riptorn, GormBrewhouse and VikeMan like this.
  24. wasatchback

Trader

All Galaxy Pale Ale yesterday

Pils
    20% pale Ale
    2% Carahell
    10% Carafoam
    Acidulated
    Galaxy @ 20 and WP
    Vermont Ale

Tried using my horrible well water diluted with 50% RO and some phosphoric acid. Mash pH was a touch low but not bad. Haven’t had my water tested in a while but the old hardness and alkalinity numbers seemed to work.

Trying to make a 6.5% and 8% version of this same recipe in the future.

SABERG, riptorn, VikeMan and 2 others like this.
  25. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (70) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Brewed up an Imperial Oatmeal Stout (2-row, GNO, Crystal, roasted barley, pale chocolate with Willamette and 1056) and an Imperial Irish Stout (2-row, roasted barley, pale chocolate, midnight wheat, flaked rye with Northern Brewer and 1084) the past 2 weekends. Didn't have the smoothest brew sessions as I'm still getting the hang of using a pump for vorlauf but a tasty wort was still created.

These will be the 2nd beers in my current barrels and I was aiming for a lower abv barrel aged beer so aimed for 8-8.5% abv. Planning to bottle the other beers in a couple of weeks and then leave these in there for 4-6 months.

Next on deck will be a Belgian Blonde (starting a series of Belgian beers including the AP Dubbel and a Quad sometime in Winter or Spring) and a Strawberry Mango Milkshake IPA to help reduce the hop supply in my freezer. Might have to do a few IPAs coming up to help with that!

26. Supergenious

Going for a dark saison, aged on rum soaked oak cubes and dried zante currants. The inspiration for this one comes one of the dark saisons brewed by @OldSock , aka Mad Fermentationist. Been awhile since I poached one of his recipes.

OldSock, meatst1ck, Eggman20 and 4 others like this.
  27. skleice

I'm snowed in today, so that's a good excuse to brew up another beer. Time to replenish my American Stout inventory. Tweaking things a bit and using some new dark caramel malts that have just become available (gluten free). Hops are Crystal & Willamette. Fermenting with BRY-97.

28. wasatchback

Trader

Pale Lager of Sorts today, Czech inspired

Weyermann Eraclea Pils
    10% Chit Malt
    133/145->decoct->162/170
    Sauergut in Mash and at KO
    Saaz @ 75 and 20 for 25 IBU
    2001/2278 blend

Gonna call it (c)heck. If any one knows anything about UT the overwhelming percentage of the population doesn’t drink beer and says “heck” instead of “hell”. Subtle troll.

29. meatst1ck

meatst1ck Initiate (73) Feb 22, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Bottled up another mixed culture saison, basically just keep trying out different hop/yeast combinations as I improve my overall process. This one ended up being a “get rid of some leftover grains” grist, otherwise I like to keep it simple...

56.6% Pils
    6.9% Vienna
    14.1% Wheat
    11.3% Flaked Oats
    11.1% Spelt

25 IBU Loral @60
    2oz Southern Aroma @whirlpool

Imperial Rustic
    Mainiacal Custom Brett/Pedio Blend
    BB FW#3
    3F/Tilquin dregs

0.3 oz/gal semi-dry riesling soaked French oak cubes throughout the entirety of fermentation/conditioning

Pitched Rustic at 70F and let that open ferment for ~4 days, then pitched everything else on day 5, then slowly ramped up to 78F and held for about 2 weeks before slowly bringing back down to 70F and let condition in primary for the next ~11 weeks prior to bottling.

Some black pepper, citrus, wildflowers, hay, herbaceousness going on, though this should develop quite nicely in the bottle for some time to come

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#989 meatst1ck, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  30. wasatchback

Trader

Said screw it and started another brew. Gonna be up late tonight. Kind of a kitchen sink of base malt.

Mosaic 4 ways IPA
    Golden Promise/Rahr Pale/Pils
    Carafoam
    145/162/172

Dextrose
    Warrior @ 90
    Mosaic T-90 @ 20/5
    Mosaic Cryo WP
    Mosaic leaf Hopback

Vermont Ale

Mosaic Noble on day 1
    Blend of Cryo/pellet/leaf in DH.

Been adding bagged dry hops to a purged keg on day 1 and hooking it up to the fermenter to fully purge using fermentation then transferring when beer is done and yeast has dropped.

31. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (267) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

Just finished clean up after brewing a Scottish export with Maris otter, medium English Crystal, victory, and a bit of midnight wheat. I also reduced a gallon of the first runnings separately. Everything went really well but damn I am tired. Making a mental note not to run 4 miles before brewing again.

32. Supergenious

I’ve thought about doing this exact thing for dry hopping in a keg. How has this been working for you? My concern was the hops would lose freshness and aroma sitting at room temp for several days while purging.

33. wasatchback

Trader

Works great actually. Hops are in an O2 free environment pretty quickly. I was worried about degradation at first as well but this will be the third attempt with this method and the first two turned out awesome. Second attempt it still conditioning but the first one I was really stoked on. The hop flavor/aroma intensity has lasted longer than other methods. I don’t usually get too much loss in aroma/flavor with my other DH methods but this ones seems even better.

Supergenious likes this.
  34. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,849) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Brewed Pond Hopper IPA, west coast meets UK. Malts look like an ESB, mostly C hops.

35. Naugled

Society

I just brewed something very similar to that, all english malts (GP, and English cystal) and all C-hops. It's my winter ale. When your's is ready to drink I'd be curious to hear how it came out.

riptorn, GormBrewhouse and pweis909 like this.
  36. GormBrewhouse

Brewing the CCC stout. Coffee, chocolate and coconut

37. Applecrew135

Applecrew135 Initiate (55) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

I've recently made some changes to my brewing methods to get away from a brew-in-a-bag method. Although I was getting very good extraction efficiencies (> 80%), it was extremely labor intensive handling bags of hot grains with potential for calamity (think of a bag full of hot grain ripping open). I converted to a cooler mash-tun set up for batch sparging.

I decided to christen and start dialing-in my new setup with something rather simple: A Bell's Two Hearted Ale inspired brew:

75% base malt
    20% pale ale malt
    5% C-40
    Lots of Centennial hops, about 60 IBU;s
    Dry-hopped with Centennial
    WLP001

OG: 1.058

It's sitting in the fermenter as we speak... and it smells AWESOME!

38. invertalon

invertalon Crusader (780) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

My Helles is in the keg to spund, got it racked over at approx. 1.015 (FFT is 1.012).

Cleaned some kegs, cleaned the keezer and the beer lines with BLC/Sanitizer and may be tapping my new Czech Pils later today.

IPA to be brewed this weekend with Columbus and Vic Secret... Targeting mid 6%.

39. GormBrewhouse

@Applecrew135 , That brew is in my rotation, a great choice for sure!!!

Applecrew135 and riptorn like this.
  40. skleice

Super long brew day today.
    I maxed out my Grainfather brewing 6.5 gallons of NEIPA. Recirculation was definitely struggling and the sparge took an eternity. I also had to boil down quite a bit to hit my volume. Efficiency also took a hit, but I still fell into acceptable ranges. I'll split this into 2 fermenters before they land in my 3 gallon kegs.

All Columbus on the hot side:
    #1 - Lalbrew New England with Bru-1 dh
    #2 - K97 with Galaxy dh

Also kegged an Amber ale

GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.