2019 Great American Beer Festival (GABF) Winners

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,979) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

2. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,094) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

JayWhitson likes this.
  3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,827) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

3 medals for Wyoming!

SFACRKnight and JayWhitson like this.
  4. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,059) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I wish they made it easier to search who won...in particular, by state.

5. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,310) Sep 24, 2007 Vatican City
    Trader

That comes later. This is just the quicky version, posted on the fly.

6. skelliott

skelliott Initiate (74) Jul 2, 2013 California

There's a State dropdown to the left of the search field.

7. mkh012

mkh012 Crusader (701) May 7, 2015 Colorado

I recently had Extra Extra Juicy Bits for the first time, and it deserves the hazy gold.

8. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (766) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

The only local to win for me was eel River with a gold for their blonde. Weird that it won in the summer English ale category when is always seemed like a hoppy American blonde to me. Anyways congrats to them and Yay for organic beer taking gold

9. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

cheeseheadinMinneapolis Aspirant (222) Sep 20, 2017 Minnesota

Interesting: Tackle Bock by Bobbing Bobber Brewing Co. in Minnesota took the gold. I never had this beer.

GOBLIN likes this.
  10. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,059) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

palm hits face, thank you

11. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Zealot (567) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Pinthouse winning the gold for fresh hop is well deserved. Glad to have them in Texas.

12. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Defender (664) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Remember when everyone was saying there must be something in the water in Vermont to make such great NEIPAs? Maybe it's time to inspect the North side of Chicago West of Pulaski since 3 different breweries in a 4 mile line have 2 golds and a bronze between them in the Juicy/Hazy IPA category in the past 2 years....

13. pjeagles

pjeagles Initiate (150) May 29, 2005 New Mexico
    Trader

Give me Phase Three or More over any of the winners if you're talking Chicago area breweries. I've found my taste in IPA/DIPA often differs from what GABF judges decide is the best example of the style.

spersichilli likes this.
  14. zid

zid Meyvn (1,330) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

A hoppy American blonde is pretty much also an English summer ale.

Beer_Economicus and stevepat like this.
  15. walterfarris

walterfarris Initiate (29) Dec 7, 2017 California
    Trader

Shout out for Green Cheek! Also saw several other winners in Southern California that I should get to trying soon

2beerdogs and BuffaloBill12 like this.
  16. HopSessions

HopSessions Initiate (39) Mar 1, 2019 Illinois
    Trader

I feel as if you can’t make a statement as such if you haven’t had Beezer (the beer that won gold for hazy) and XXJB. Beezer is a beer that deserves this Gold medal, there are people here in Chicago and the surrounding area who don’t even know this exists and It’s absolutely perfect for the Hazy/Juicy category...

17. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,310) Sep 24, 2007 Vatican City
    Trader

Not sure I'm grasping your point. IMHO, an "American" version is just a "hoppy" (ie: bold and bitter hops) of the English base style. Again, IMHO, the English version would be more mellow and floral, whereas, the 'Merka version would be more the soccer hooligan, you're either with us or against us attitude.

Shrug. I was wrong at least once before.......

18. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (119) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Big shoutout to Rowley Farmhouse Ales of Santa Fe, NM for winning Best Small Brewpub and Best Small Brewpub Brewer, along with three medals for individual beers!

19. iwantyourskull

iwantyourskull Initiate (47) Dec 27, 2015 Missouri

firestone walker is dead. they only won 1 medal.

20. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,350) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

21. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I look at these lists of winners and either the big boys don’t play or the smaller breweries are just flat out better.

22. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

How many beers did take the time and trouble to enter?

pat61 likes this.
  23. drtth

Lots of big boys don't play. You gotta enter to be a winner. If you're already known to do good beers why pay the fees?

24. nc41

Trader

I assumed their afraid to play. If your already successful getting smoked in competition doesn’t help you much, but these medals mean all the difference to these smaller breweries. NoDa is a prime example, they win a Gold Medal and their sales go thru the roof, they couldn’t sustain that quality after increasing their production.

Dragginballs76 likes this.
  25. drtth

I'd guess that it's not so much afraid to play as not having much to gain. The list of entries is kept private so....

On the other hand getting a medal is a sign that the beer fits the criteria for the category and is well done, etc....

pat61 likes this.
  26. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,464) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Many small ones don't enter either.

Entry fees are not cheap. Shipping to Denver can add up too.

27. nc41

Trader

I’d like to see the whole list of winners, I’m always a bit skeptical when beer A from a brewery wins Gold one year and you never hear from it again. If your into competition I’d really compete, it’s private so if you get beat no one knows you tried, and I just assumed that they didn’t win.

28. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,647) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

In all honesty there's a degree of luck involved as well. Especially in certain categories, like IPAs, where the difference between the second place beer and tenth place beer isn't likely all that great. But the beers that do consistently medal over the years are for real, if they can overcome that kind of thing. I just wouldn't look sideways at beers or breweries that don't, especially as the number of overall competitors keeps increasing.

pat61, JackHorzempa, champ103 and 6 others like this.
  29. zid

Society Trader

I think your approach isn't a good one (no offense). Don't look for the lack of a name on a winner's list as an indication of anything. Just look at who medalled and take that for what it's worth to you. If you are the type who puts any stock in these things, then treat a gold medal as an indication of a very good beer. Simple as that. Thinking about a competition like this as "the best beers in America" is just unrealistic or a bad fit.

pat61, JackHorzempa, jdell15 and 9 others like this.
  30. nc41

Trader

I didn’t know the entries were private, I wrongfully assumed they’re just not winning medals.

officerbill likes this.
  31. nc41

Trader

I agree, and I made some assumptions, but from a personal standpoint I’d want to compete after all its anonymous, but a win can certainly help a brewery.

zid likes this.
  32. drtth

Yes, luck is definitely involved in these things. In that IPA category, for example, the difference may be so small as to be effectively meaningless but a choice needs to be made.

I once read a basic rule of thumb about decision-making which goes something like..."As the number of viable competing alternatives increases so does the role of luck in determining the outcome." With the tightness of the competition, any beer that gets gold on any given day with any given set of judges won't necessarily win on a different day or with a different set of judges. (Even though the judges are all pros...)

#32 drtth, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  33. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,350) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

For a website called beeradvocate there sure are an inordinate amount of posters here who are trying to belittle and refute the amount of work and talent it takes to brew a beer that is even worthy of a medal. I get it, because the gold medal beer wasn't compared to every existing example of the style it can't be called the best, conversely it can not be said the beer still wouldn't earn that gold medal. Instead of pointing out all of the negative aspects of something can we for once celebrate something?
    Yes, I know I can be negative as well. I'll go ahead and put that out there so nobody else needs to.

34. zid

Society Trader

I got you beat because I was wrong at least twice before. :wink: Your logic isn't actually a good fit in this case. This isn't a case like English brown ale vs American brown ale. We're talking about American blonde ale and English golden ale (which are sometimes referred to as "summer ales"). The former were typically pretty mild beers before NEIPA producers stole the term for their little NEIPAs. The latter are a branch of English pale ale that have no crystal malt and are often hoppier (sometimes using American hops). The brewer might have entered their beer into the English category because it was hoppier than a typical American blonde.

JackHorzempa, beertunes and drtth like this.
  35. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (384) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

It IS fantastic. I called it baby Juice Pants. It’s very aromatic. It’s got perfect level of carb, tons of Citra and mosaic, and finishes clean as a whistle.

I completely agree with the kinds of beers that are winning in that category since it’s been announced. Le Jus is pretty darn good, but I think beezer is exactly what hazy beer should be. And there’s no lactose in it... that I know of.

36. drtth

Really? Who's doing that?

Nobody said there wasn't hard work and talent involved in winning a medal, or that the beer wasn't worthy of winning, just that the ultimate winner out of, say, 10 top-notch beers isn't necessarily the best of the best if they are all basically equal in quality based on the judging criteria.

beertunes likes this.
  37. zid

Society Trader

I was at the Shelton Brothers Festival on Friday. That fest can be seen as a showcase for some highly regarded sour / wild / mixed ferm brewers. Perhaps my favorite American beer there was C'mon Sunshine by Birds Fly South. I now see that that beer won bronze in GABF's brett beer category.

drtth and TongoRad like this.
  38. nc41

Trader

I’d also guess there’s many variables too now that I think about it. The judges are pros, but they still have a personal preference which or may not effect scoring, not sure how you eliminate that, also positioning in the line up could effect scoring too I suppose, I’d imagine going first isn’t a real plus, and being last the palate might just be gassed. Based on nothing again by an assumption, but I’m never feeling fresh after my 3d beer as I do after one or two, and can only a few oz of beer really be the best barometer? Again other than it’s blind I have no idea on how they conduct any of this, and as more entries pop up it must be fatiguing.

#38 nc41, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  39. drtth

Part of judge training is to reduce the effect of personal preferences. Position in the line up is random. There's a panel of judges makes the final choices. What we can be sure of is that any winner is a good one. What I'd like to see available is the candidates in the final round of judging. By then they will all have passed earlier taste tests with flying colors and so I'd be happy buying/trying any of them.... Spread the love around a bit.

2beerdogs, beertunes and nc41 like this.
  40. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (186) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Just had a convo last week about how impressed I was with Parish Pure Tropics. Cool to come here and see it grabbed gold in Emerging IPA.

SFACRKnight likes this.