2019 Great American Beer Festival (GABF) Winners

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Oct 5, 2019.

1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,150) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

We all deserve a trophy! :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

2. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,040) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

As far as I am concerned there's nothing those brewers need to prove to anyone at this point. :wink:

3. Smakawhat

Society

Neat list of winners, interesting to see how the style categories have evolved as well.

4. JackHorzempa

Society

Ethan, have you tried their 805 Blonde Ale? I have yet to see this beer on my local beer retailers' shelves but based upon posts I have read in BA this seems to be their most popular selling beer.

Cheers!

5. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,464) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

If FW is done with one medal, what about ABGB with 0? ABGB was large brewpub of the year 3 times in a row.

In a week I will be there. If I see one of the Brewers I might ask what happened?

6. Smakawhat

Society

I have not, been awhile I've dug into some FW, or other new beers, been homebrewing a bit lately with mixed results. Last thing I remember having was one of the variants on Luponic Distortion series. Even the old can was still friggin delicioso!

Also (American) Blonde Ales fall in one of those categories for me of not a big fan of that style, but I have had some good ones.

The other thing is, not every brewery is going to enter a beer in every category either.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  7. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,310) Sep 24, 2007 Vatican City
    Trader

Maybe don't put so much weight behind UT scores? Plus, on UTs 0-5 point scale, 3.58 is comfortably above average.

UT scores are about how much people enjoy a beer, not how well they think that beer is made.

SFACRKnight and sharpski like this.
  8. beertunes

Trader

IIRC, they are even restricted to the number of entries they make (10, I think).

A lot of breweries enter the competition, not to try to win a medal, but to get the feedback of having neutral, unbiased judges taste their beers. Every beer entered gets the judges tasting notes back. This is likely the most valuable, honest feedback most breweries get.

JMN44, jakecattleco, stevepat and 2 others like this.
  9. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,152) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

It’s down to 4 or 5 entries now at GABF due to the massive number of breweries registering. 318 medal winners out of 9,495 entries is a really small chance of winning; I agree that competitions are more about the feedback each entry receives from knowledgeable judges than it is the relatively few breweries who win a medal.

10. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Champion (870) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Society Trader

Has anyone heard who won the Alpha King Challenge this year?

11. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,095) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Its 70% of their brewing capacity. It's a bit sweet for my liking.

Thought Alvarado Street?

stevepat and JackHorzempa like this.
  12. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,541) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

I understand that. And, honestly, that makes their medals all the more surprising to me.

13. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,464) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

With no specific examples, no idea. Give me guidance for my next trip to NM.

There is a large-ish brewery in Indy that has production beers that are OK, in the past some were not great. They win often for specializes and one offs.

14. JackHorzempa

Society

Wow! 805 is a HUGE portion of the Firestone Walker production.

This beer has a value of 79 (Okay) on BA.

I suppose it is more of a cross-over beer? It's value of 79 is basically 'right there' with the 78 value for Yuengling Traditional Lager.

Cheers!

jakecattleco likes this.
  15. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,541) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

When I was at Psycho Fest in Vegas back in August, I finally got around to trying that Firestone Walker 805 Blonde Ale. Afterwards, I spent the rest of the Fest drinking Modela Especial.

805 was a pass by me, personally.

16. davida1225

davida1225 Initiate (72) Oct 16, 2013 Maryland

Congrats to Charles Noll of Bear Chase Brewing for the gold in the Maerzen category!

I knew Charles when he brewed for Franklins in Hyattsville, MD. He's now about an hour or so west of the Washington DC Beltway. (So near and yet so far, about 1.5 hours away from me.)

JayWhitson likes this.
  17. bleezylovesbeer

bleezylovesbeer Initiate (15) Jul 13, 2019 South Dakota

I always get the Electric Jellyfish when I’m in Austin for sxsw. Cheers!

HouseofWortship likes this.
  18. imtroy703

imtroy703 Initiate (104) Nov 13, 2009 Tennessee

Only one local medal winner by me - East Nashville Beer Works' - Cumberland Punch (APWA). So I celebrated by visiting them on Sunday for that and their good pizza. Congrats!

sharpski and JayWhitson like this.
  19. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,487) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

You're trying to slip one past me. :wink: ABGB? Who's that? I'm drawing a blank.

20. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (363) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Congratulations to Castle Island for taking the gold in the Bohemian pilsner category and being the sole MA brewery to place in this competition.

Attn. all other MA brewers: You're all losers.

21. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (950) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Austin Beer Garden

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  22. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

23. JackHorzempa

Society

Funny. Tom (@drtth) made a similar comment via PM but he then stated he was able to watch the video. Maybe he can provide some assistance here?

Cheers!

nc41 likes this.
  24. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

@nc41

Try closing your browser and then coming back to this page. Alternatively, you can note the name of the video and search for it on YouTube. One or both may work. Not sure which worked best for me.

nc41 and JackHorzempa like this.
  25. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I’ll try.

26. Ranbot

Ranbot Champion (875) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Something interesting to me... Lost Abbey Creator's Calling (a mixture of scotch barrel-aged wee heavy and un-aged wee heavy) won gold in the aged beer category. I had this beer through the Rare Beer of the Month Club early this year and I thought it was fantastic. I ordered more bottles the following month. It's nice to see my tastes being backed up by GABF gold... but a broken clock is still accurate twice a day. :grin: But anyway, if Creator's Calling is still available to you, I would highly recommend trying it. It's a really nice blend of the wee heavy and barrel flavors without letting the barrel take over, as happens in too many of these sorts beers. Also, if anyone here is a member of the Rare Beer Club and passed on this you can still order it from them, and it's a beer that stands up just fine to age/storage.

EDIT: also please note that 2SP Brewing won gold AGAIN for the Russian Imperial Stout. This is the same brewer who won Iron Hill many gold medals in the Russian Imperial Stout for years before founding 2SP. If you want a standard in this style to compare all others to, The Russian from 2SP would be a good choice.

#106 Ranbot, Oct 9, 2019 at 2:13 AM
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 2:18 AM
    drtth, JackHorzempa and SFACRKnight like this.
  27. JackHorzempa

Society

Yup, Bob Barrar really knows how to brew Imperial Stouts and his ability to consistently win in this category is an indicator that winning medals at the GABF is not just a situation of being lucky. Bob knows how to make his own 'luck'.

Cheers!

28. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,850) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

This article at Good Beer Hunting on 805 from just about a year ago claimed the furthest east the beer was distributed was Chicago (with lots of gaps in between).

drtth and JackHorzempa like this.
  29. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Defender (664) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I'm curious as to how well they are moving that in Chicago's market which to me seems over saturated with quality options.

30. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Crusader (724) Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Couldn’t agree more! We spent well over $1000 with the overnight shipping.

31. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,487) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I'm curious, how many beers did you ship for that cost?

32. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Crusader (724) Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

We submitted ten beers total and there were multiples of each beer spread across two different cold shipper boxes. Can’t remember how many it was total as our Head Brewer picked them.

PapaGoose03 and drtth like this.
  33. beertunes

Trader

A lot of breweries around here combine shipment to save money. Fremont Brewery handles collection and shipping. Seattle is 1200ish miles from Denver, so Virginia isnt that much farther. Less than a 2 day drive.