1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

2019 Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest Collaboration?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by steveh, Mar 7, 2019.

1. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,159) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Last year's SN collab hit news feeds in early February -- anyone heard anything about this year's? Will there be one?

Yeah, I know it's early to think about Oktoberfest, but I can't help but wonder what may be next in the series... if anything.

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,586) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Is there a "series"?

3. steveh

Not sure why you pose this question as an answer to my query, but SN has collaborated for 4 years now (if my count is correct) on an Oktoberfest style beer with various German brewers -- so I guess they've created a "series."

What's your definition and how might it answer my question?

#3 steveh, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  4. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (352) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Steve

Sierra Nevada is really really good at social media. We will know as soon as they want us too. Their website is almost always being updated as well and is a good resource

Your post just reminded me that at this time last year we were all anxiously awaiting the release of Braupakt

FBarber likes this.
  5. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

I was asking a question. Sorry if I seemed pointed @steveh.

6. steveh

Understood, but in years past many have brought us the news here before it's become a big announcement around the internet. Just wondering if anyone has seen something I may have missed.
    Yes, I checked that before I started the thread.
    The Braupakt and Oktoberfest were announced simultaneously in early Feb last year -- maybe it was ultra-early because of the dual collab, but I don't know.

#6 steveh, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    FBarber and AlcahueteJ like this.
  7. steveh

No prob, but I'm still interested in why you may question a "series." SN seems to have set up beer drinkers' expectations for an annual collab, and the "reveal" seems to have always been rather early in the year -- so I wanted to get a bit of a jump on it.

8. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

I'm simply unaware of this @steveh, sorry, my bad.

9. steveh

Whoa -- seriously? Not aware of Sierra Nevada's collabs for Oktoberfests? I guess I shouldn't be that surprised as there are many beers out there that don't grab my attention, but it seemed that the SN collabs had been pretty popular.

*Edit -- Just looked at your beer reviews and see that you don't have one Märzen-Oktoberfest in your portfolio -- we may have to discontinue any correspondence. :wink:

ManBearPat, Nick_V, Tucquan and 9 others like this.
  10. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (160) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

Steveh - I also believe that the announcement was early last year because of the dual Weihenstephaner collaboration. If this year is consistent with prior years, I should know this information, and the label, by mid-May to early June. When I do, you know where I will post it. :beers:

11. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (524) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Get a jump on what exactly? Waiting?

12. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (464) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Can't wait to see who they collab with this year!

13. steveh

I like to call it anticipation. Besides, it's become tradition around here to hype the hell out of it months before it's released. :wink:

14. steveh

@MostlyNorwegian Like I was sayin'. :wink:

15. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (524) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Hey, I'm also looking forward to finding out who the collab is with, and what all that means for whatever winds up getting brewed and bottled as their Oktoberfest for this year. But, I can't taste hype.

BeastOfTheNortheast and steveh like this.
  16. steveh

But that's part of the whole anticipation! :slight_smile:

But my query really is about the choice of the partner brewery -- it adds to the anticipation and speculation of what the beer will be like this time -- at least for me.

17. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,415) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

But, isn't also accompanied by the dread of the coming posts complaining about seasonal drift:
    and then the "It's not as good as last year's..." posts? :grin:

18. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (464) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Hype? Nah. If you want hype go into any NE IPA thread. Having a few passionate people who love this style of beer and the breweries involved is far from what I'd consider hype. Sure, it's one of the most anticipated Oktoberfests each year, but for good reason.

For me, it's just a well done collab unlike the 5.6 million IPA collabs done daily. It's a breath of fresh air, even if it's not the best each year. At worst, it's always damn good. Nobody else is doing anything like this and I appreciate the effort they put in to doing this.

It is the most exciting release each year for me. Not hype though, just excitement for something other than the same stuff that nearly all other breweries are doing. There is just not nearly enough fresh lager out there (non-BMC), so I'll take what I can get!

@jesskidden

Yeah, the drift thing is so stupid though... haha. I can see on a Christmas or Pumpkin ale... But the seasonal drift thing on a lager such as an Oktoberfestbier or Marzen is just stupid, especially when people will crush barrel aged stouts and rich, decadent pastry bull shit year round (or amber ales, brown ales, dunkel, porter, etc...). Then complain that their malty lager is out of season. FFS.

Needless to say, the seasonality of such a beautiful style is why I have to resort to brewing a few Marzen/Festbier year round! Have a nice 6% Festbier ready to tap any day now... Can't wait... Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter... All good.

CaptainHate, rypkr, Tdizzle and 11 others like this.
  19. steveh

Wow, I never thought of you as a "glass half empty" guy. :grin::wink:

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  20. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,709) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Not all that early they some start bottling in May and June, only two months out.

21. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,415) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Are you kiddin' * ?

I'm the guy who made the glass half-empty. It was full just a little while ago.

I always thought pessimism worked best for me. This way if the worst happens - you're prepared. If it's better than you feared - well, sometimes that can result in a mild feeling of happiness & contentment.

Well, until the "Yeah, but..." thoughts kick in.

*Oh, no - that's me.

meefmoff, dennis3951, FBarber and 5 others like this.
  22. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,405) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

@steveh Maybe they were busy with the Resilience fundraiser?

I would expect something to be announced soon.

meefmoff, PatrickCT, FBarber and 3 others like this.
  23. steveh

Good point -- and so it makes me wonder if there's a collab in the works this year.
    Another good point.

FBarber and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  24. steveh

LOL! :grin:

25. nc41

Trader

I really liked the brews with Brauhaus Riegle, and Mahrs Bros, but I can’t find anything on this years effort.

26. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Meyvn (1,314) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Society

Likely will never happen, but I would love it if they teamed up with Schlenkerla to make a smoked marzen for this year's release

Witherby, 57md, rypkr and 10 others like this.
  27. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,111) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Bleh...:grimacing:

:wink:

28. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,111) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

How about negative seasonal drift... I saw some Christmas ales still on the shelf yesterday!

29. steveh

Yeah, but those will "hold up."

Wait... that's also what a retailer told me about "those high alcohol German beers." :rolling_eyes:

tmalt, AlcahueteJ and MNAle like this.
  30. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (687) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I have plenty of hype with the Phillies here. I hope it does not turn out like most hyped up beers.

Enjoy

nc41 likes this.
  31. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,036) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I'm glad someone else is already looking forward to this release. Personally I thought last year's was stellar.... God I drank my weight in that stuff.... once it hits the shelves it's all I buy until it disappears......

32. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,858) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Hopefully we will be drinking some Sly Fox Oktoberfest beers as we watch the Phillies play in the World Series!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

SABERG, ESHBG, FBarber and 1 other person like this.
  33. nc41

Trader

Here too, they’re in the discount bin.

34. nc41

Trader

They added 3 All Star players, SS, Catcher, and Harper,4 if you count McCutchen, and Harper is the second youngest player in the lineup. You normally get an aging superstar, but in this case he’s only 26.

#34 nc41, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    JackHorzempa likes this.
  35. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,260) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Perhaps they are re-brewing the prior 4 collaborations for a 12 pack only mix release this year? No complaints here if they do. :wink:

57md, keithmurray, FBarber and 6 others like this.
  36. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,397) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

You mean like Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy hitting the shelves already? Dang.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  37. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (327) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Do people actually watch baseball? Bring on football season! Go Irish!

FBarber likes this.
  38. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Savant (908) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Maybe if you started a Treehouse and Hill Farmstead IPA or barrel-aged stout collaboration the hype would taste better? :wink:

My God...

I thought I liked you, no more. :wink:

39. steveh

I like these theories -- keep 'em coming!
    I've already bought one six-pack of Goose Islands, ahem -- Summertime... sorry, it's now labeled Summer Time. :confused:

AlcahueteJ and Bitterbill like this.
  40. steveh

I'm sorry, you're speaking some foreign language to me. :wink: