2019 Sierra Nevada Summerfest

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by scottakelly, May 6, 2019.

1. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Savant (979) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I was going to mention this, but you beat me to it.

Are we counting Yuengling Traditional? 1987 I think?

2. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,771) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

Yeah, it was a lager (I'll dig through some old article to see if they made a claim of what type) but, of course, it'd be disqualified from being the "longest-lived". A few other "craft" lagers pre-dated it, too, and, of course, NAAB was contract-brewed at F X Matt.

Well after the bottom-fermented beers mentioned (plus, it wasn't considered "craft" until the 21st century :grin:).

Oh, yeah - likely the earliest craft lager was River City Gold ("a classic European-style pilsener"), from a Sacramento CA brewery of the same name started by an ex-Schlitz brewer, James Schlueter, which was on the market by mid-1980.

#82 jesskidden, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Roguer, AlcahueteJ and TongoRad like this.
  3. AlcahueteJ

Yeah I didn’t know if the adjuncts mattered or not in this discussion.

What about Leinenkugel Original?

4. jesskidden

Society

Yeah, was discussing this off-forum with @steveh and recalled that "the BA formerly known as sierranevadabill" (:wink: @BillManley ) and I once had a brief BA "Conversation" about the topic of Summerfest being the first lager beer from a craft brewer (I think a SN distributor brought up the topic at a SN event) but I guess "Conversations" get deleted after a while? I remember noting a few of the ones I mentioned above but can't remember if he stated the actual first year of SNS. I can find references to it only as far back as 1986.

FBarber, steveh and SierraTerence like this.
  5. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,818) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Having one right now, it’s a good beer, a bit hoppy for what most would consider a Lager, but it’s certainly not “hoppy” per say. It’s not quite a Czech Pils, but it leans that way. This is my first one ever too, so .... this would be a great beach/pool beer, a great beer to sip anytime really. Low abv, enough flavor to appeal to about everyone, this is what I imagine Budweiser might have been like 100 years ago, don’t know. I’d prefer 16 oz cans as an option. I’ve seen it stated here if you don’t like this, plug in “Summerfest” you don’t like beer. I’d agree with that here, it’s just a beer, and it’s a very good beer, it’s clean, enough hops to satisfy, low enough abv, and certainly in no way could this offend anyone in any way.

Pkg on 4/16, I’d bet by July it’ll just be 3 months old. I’d easily consider this by the case for July beach week if it was fresh.

#85 nc41, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
  6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,022) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Next time you are back home I will give you one of my Classic American Pilsners. That would be a better approximation of a Budweiser of the 1800's.

Cheers!

keithmurray, nc41 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  7. AlcahueteJ

I wouldn't bet it would be three months old, it would be.

7/16 it would be three months old.

nc41 likes this.
  8. nc41

Trader

Unfortunately it will still be there, I don’t see this as being a fast turner. I’d really love to see this in 16 oz cans though.

9. nc41

Trader

Sounds good to me.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  10. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Meyvn (1,469) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

True but they went through a period about, hmm 8-10 yrs ago where a majority was available in cans. I had this at every Independence Day cookout and beach, fishing etc. I dropped off when I had to lug around bottles.

11. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (708) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Loved the golden IPA, even better was the $20 case price on 6 week old beer.

need to go check my beer spot and see if summer fest has put the previous beer on super sale.

Enjoy

hillind likes this.
  12. AlcahueteJ

I think a few years ago Summerfest went so fast that that was why we saw their Oktoberfest hitting stores on July 1st.

I've never seen cans in abundance in my area.

13. nc41

Trader

I haven’t seen cans only bottles, and bottles are not allowed at any pool here or the beach. I’ll have to cross it off my potential beer list for July. Too bad it would be a nice low fatigue beer that you could start on at 10 am.

tasterschoice62 likes this.
  14. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (245) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Cans are out there. Maybe ask one of your local shops to order a case?

15. jesskidden

Society

Yeah, I'll admit, too, that it's always hard to remember the actual years on such things but, this Brewbound post "Summer Seasonals Get Canned", quoting from the Sierra Nevada Press Release puts the first canned Summerfest 6 years ago in 2013:

16. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Meyvn (1,469) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Thats weird because if I recall correctly I used to get that in cans regularly at Yankee Spirits.

nc41 likes this.
  17. nc41

Trader

I don't see much SN in cans much to begin with, the odd Torpedo in 16 oz cans, Tropical Torpedo, but for the most part retailers stock in bottles.

tasterschoice62 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  18. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (248) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

The gap is quickly narrowing in my area and I am seeing more and more SN cans but agreed that if there is both a bottle and can version I am usually seeing the bottles, wouldn't mind if that switches up.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  19. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (248) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Finally got around to drinking my first bottle of the season and tasting wonderfully, will be drinking much of this again this summer.

20. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (482) May 9, 2007 Ohio

I would assume sales would be disappointing if no one can find the beer to purchase it! Kind of a chicken or egg question. Sales are disappointing, but distribution is so limited that not much is available for sale.

21. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (45) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

Which brands would these be? I’m curious to try some. I’ve heard of Straub’s, but I can’t get that in DC, I don’t think

22. tolar111

tolar111 Defender (655) Aug 17, 2008 New York
    Society

Not sure if you caught the context, I was referring to Nooner. That beer was everywhere
    in my area, both on draft and on supermarket shelves. It died because drinkers were just not that into it.

23. jesskidden

Society

I see it regularly - the same sixpacks, canned in January 2018. :astonished:

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  24. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,022) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Straub's is the only one know to recommend to you. I have on occasion seen local brewpubs brew them but this is a rare occurrence.

There is an ongoing thread about a beer from Industrial Arts but that is likely unavailable to you?

"...the 2019 Summer Landscape will be a Pre-Prohibition style lager scheduled for a June 6th Release."

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/industrial-arts-landscape-series-2019-20.615781/

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  25. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (482) May 9, 2007 Ohio

I was referring to Nooner. When it was first released it was widely available around here. After about a year it dropped down to only a handful of retailers carrying it. It's probably been about a year since I've seen it anywhere.

tolar111 likes this.