2019 U.S. Open Beer Championship Crowns "Grand National Champion" and Medal Winners

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by dowab, Jul 9, 2019.

1. dowab

dowab Initiate (114) Nov 24, 2005 Ohio

Oxford, Ohio (July 9, 2019) – Breweries from Russia to Rhode Island sent in more than 7,000 beers representing over 130 different styles for the 2019 U.S. Open Beer Championship. The competition is the only one to include beers from professional breweries and award-winning home-brewers, with judges from England, Canada and the United States.

Sun King Brewing from Indianapolis, Indiana was named Grand National Champion after winning three gold medals and three silver medals. Sun King’s gold medal winners included Pachanga Pilsner, Cherry Busey Belgian Fruit Beer and Midnight Choir Wild Beer. Sun King’s silver medal winners were Shadow Proof Imperial Stout, Barrel Aged Proof and Brandy Barrel Aged Touched by an Angel.
    Complete Medal Listing:
    http://usopenbeer.com/2019-u-s-open-beer-championship-grand-national-champion-and-medal-winners

sharpski and QuakeAttack like this.
  2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Devotee (491) Mar 19, 2012 California

I'm guessing that this is typo (should be 2019), but here is there top brewery list:

Top 10 Breweries 2018
    1. Sun King Brewing Co.
    2. Reuben’s Brews
    3. Monday Night Garage
    4. Altstadt Brewery
    5. Cherry Street Brewing
    6. Piney River Brewing Co.
    7. Main & Six Brewing Company
    8. Perrin Brewing Company
    9. Florida Avenue Brewing
    10. Cigar City Brewing
    10. Birds Fly South Ale Project
    10. Wise Man Brewing

Other than Sun King and Cigar City, I'm not familiar with any of the other breweries. I think that is probably a good thing!

Max_W and Bitterbill like this.
  3. islay

islay Aspirant (264) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Main & Six is an excellent, well-rounded, intelligent, non-hype brewery in Jacksonville, and I consider it easily one of the best breweries in Florida. It's nice to see it get some positive national recognition.

QuakeAttack likes this.
  4. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,624) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Same here except I believe that I heard of Perrin.

5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,624) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Yikes
    I'm not too fond of the styles beers are put into. Examples: Boston Lager an Altbier, Black Tooth Saddle Bronc Brown an English Mild??

Okay, I misread, but how is Boston Ale an Alt?

#5 Bitterbill, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    herrburgess likes this.
  6. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Aspirant (224) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I've never had a chance to go by Altstadt when I'm in Fredericksburg for work, but I'm bound and determined to make time to do so at some point.

Piney River - Black Walnut Wheat is my overall favorite from them (I buy a 6-pack every time I'm in MO); I've had BA Raise A Ruckus but the non-BA version is better; Hot Date (Amber Ale w/ chipotle & dates) was/is phenomenal; Old Tom Porter is a solid lightweight porter; River Access Ozark Lager is a good beer for the lake or after mowing the lawn. I've never had Crankbait Cream Ale, but I've never been a big fan of Cream Ales to begin with.

QuakeAttack likes this.
  7. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Savant (921) May 2, 2010 Ohio

Congrats to all of the winners. To bad I will never taste 99.9% of them...

Bitterbill likes this.
  8. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (483) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Hooray Gusano Borracho from Benchtop! The drunken worm!

9. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Crusader (711) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Perrin is out of Michigan. The funny thing is the only beer most people no them for is No Rules. While very good, it is very sweet.

I couldn’t name another beer they make to be honest and I’m sure I’m not the only BA in that boat...

flat_lander and Bitterbill like this.
  10. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (367) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Thought Boston Lager was a Vienna.

Just checked their website to confirm and it just says “Style: Lager”

Jesus, do we need to dumb everything down for people these days?

#10 beardown2489, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    beertunes likes this.
  11. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,030) Sep 24, 2007 Montserrat
    Trader

We live in the age of Twitter, Reddit, Instagram, and selfies.

Not sure how much more we can dumb things down.

jakecattleco and dcotom like this.
  12. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,783) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

That's what the Boston Beer Co.'s website also used to claim:
    [​IMG]

Bitterbill and hopsputin like this.
  13. johnyb

johnyb Defender (665) Aug 11, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Seeing Cigar City on the list at 10 no surprise, but Florida Avenue Brewing at number 9 is.

14. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,156) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I believe it listed Boston Ale as an Altbier.

Bitterbill likes this.
  15. Max_W

Max_W Disciple (349) Jun 14, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

Reubens is an awesome spot, Ballard neighborhood in Seattle, WA. Highly recommend checking out if you get the chance, recently opened a new taproom too (I believe)

Big fan of their gose (regular and holiday), IPAs are solid too especially triple crush. Not as much experience with their stouts but have heard good things

jakecattleco, islay and sharpski like this.
  16. Redrover

Redrover Poo-Bah (3,353) Jan 18, 2003 Illinois
    Society

American Premium Lager
    Gold: Point Special Lager – Stevens Point Brewery – Wisconsin

Congrats to Point. I just picked some of this up to see if I can taste the difference since they stopped using corn and went back to all malt.

ZAP likes this.
  17. zid

zid Meyvn (1,294) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Such style shifts for competitions aren't uncommon. Boston Ale is listed as an English pale here, but BBC considers it an American stock ale. It's won in the Altbier category in other competitions, so BBC must feel that that beer competes well in that category. According to BBC, it is "fermented at cooler almost lager like temperatures and conditioned much longer than most ales" - so that's probably why they enter it in the Alt category.

Bitterbill and sharpski like this.
  18. zid

zid Meyvn (1,294) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

The 18 different categories for barrel-aged beers are the stuff of parody. Do we really need a tequila barrel category if there's already a "non whiskey" barrel category? Ditto for the "peanut butter" category and separate "nut" category... and yeah, I know a peanut isn't a nut, but neither is a pistachio (a pistachio beer won in the nut category), and more importantly, a peanut butter beer actually won in the nut category. This is not a sign of a healthy beer scene. :wink:

19. stevepat

stevepat Defender (650) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

A prominent cannabis competition recently scrapped their old categories in favor of 5 "taste profile" categories. I think bet competitions could learn from doing a similar thing. Give the brewers a handful of broad flavor types, maybe put 2 or 3 strength tiers in each and let them enter where they see fit. It would make for more useful info for consumers (I really want a high abv earthy beer, wonder what a good option is?) but it would greatly reduce the number of awards given which seems to be the opposite of most competition MOs

20. dowab

21. dowab

I confess to the typo. Supposed to be 2019. My proof reader did not catch it either. Too many beers.

22. dowab

Cigar City has been in the top 10 for 8 years straight

23. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Crusader (751) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

Two Georgia breweries in the top ten. Nice to see.

Cherry Street and Monday Night do a great job across the board.