2020 Great American Beer Festival (GABF) Awards

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by beertunes, Oct 17, 2020.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,694) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

2. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,114) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Congrats to Good Society for Small Brewpub and Small Brewer of the Year! Nick is a good dude, glad to see them doing so well.

GreenBayBA and beertunes like this.
  3. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,048) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Allagash White is the best American made Witbier. Blue Moon Moon Haze (Juicy/Hazy Pale Ale category) received GOLD. Never had it, but it is Blue Moon. Also, how come various Gose are under at least 3-4 different categories. Too bad it's only one medal for SC, but at least it's GOLD. And why do they have Juicy/Hazy Imperial India Pale Ale and Juicy/Hazy Strong Pale Ale? Isn't that the same exact thing? Just worded differently.

jakecattleco, bret27 and beertunes like this.
  4. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,195) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

In order of ABV, the categories go:
    Pale Ale
    Strong Pale Ale
    India Pale Ale
    Imperial India Pale Ale

5. WCKDVBZ

My point is, that a stronger Pale Ale = India Pale Ale At least according to history. So, the categories should be:

Pale Ale
    India Pale Ale
    Imperial India Pale Ale

All three of this year's winners under Juicy or Hazy Strong Pale Ale category are actually listed under New England IPA on this site and Untappd. And all three are 6-7% ABV. One of the cans says Hazy India Pale Ale, the other Juicy Midwest IPA.

Cheers!

#5 WCKDVBZ, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    jakecattleco and beertunes like this.
  6. WCKDVBZ

The other one doesn't mention which style it is on the can. At least not on the front, but here's this pic...

[​IMG]

7. beertunes

Society Trader

Well, it does say "NE style IPA", and gives us the ABV, 6%, which is below the historical/traditional cut-off of 8% for being Imperial.

Shrug.

FBarber likes this.
  8. WCKDVBZ

Pale Ale is under 6% ABV, India Pale Ale is 6-7% + some change. But yeah, once it hits 8%, it becomes an Imperial IPA. Also, all those so-called Triple IPAs are actually just Imperial/Double IPAs. Can't have an 8-11% Imperial/Double IPA and call it a Triple IPA. Unless they're referring to the fact that it's Triple Dry-Hopped. :thinking_face: Once you get to 14+% or maybe even 13%, then you can call it a Triple IPA...maybe. When the ABV gets so high, it's no longer an IPA. It becomes an American-style Barleywine.

#8 WCKDVBZ, Oct 17, 2020
    jasonmason and beertunes like this.
  9. beertunes

Society Trader

I was with you until the last 2 sentences. IPAs are never Barleywines, and Barleywines are never IPAs.

One of the 2 largest myths that Sierra Nevada has foisted upon the American beer lover is that Barleywines are supposed to be hoppy, and its corollary that old ImpIPAs become Barleywines.

No.

10. WCKDVBZ

Yeah, I guess you are right. Just because we have these three odd-balls, doesn't mean it's true. Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA, Founders Devil Dancer, Thomas Creek Up The Creek, especially with age. My favorite Barleywines are from J.W. Lees. Hard to beat those. But I haven't had Thomas Hardy's yet. And don't really care for any American-style Barleywine, unless it's barrel-aged or a bottle that's been aged. Never liked Bigfoot and until this day I think of it as a West Coast-style Brown Imperial IPA, even though it's not an actual style. "Leave the damn resiny pine cones and twigs outta my fig, date, prune, raisin pudding!" :slight_smile:

#11 WCKDVBZ, Oct 17, 2020
    Whyteboar, TheEpeeist, micada and 2 others like this.
  11. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,776) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Welcome to competition life. The beer is entered into the category they feel it has the best chance of winning

12. micada

micada Zealot (504) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Trader

@WCKDVBZ one local shop has a lot of Hardy offerings. I’m a BWIL kind of guy, so I’ll see what they have available...Edit: oh, I just saw you don’t have a trader tag, so my apology. I’ll still look for myself, though!

13. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,286) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Congratulations to my favorite local, Silver Branch, for gold in Classic Saison!

14. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

And, it has nothing to do with the bottle/can label. For example, a couple of Oktoberfests medaled in the Vienna-Style Lager category, and another medaled as an American Amber Lager.

And, the GABF (Brewers Association) has their own style list for the competition, which can (and does) change from year to year.

15. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

The competitors are responsible for entering the beers into the competition. Gabf provides a list in the breweries pick where they go.

16. zid

zid Meyvn (1,221) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Regarding: "a stronger Pale Ale = India Pale Ale At least according to history" - That's actually not the case "historically." It's more of a modern American concept. Categories in competitions will be dictated by entrants to a certain extent. If this competition gets a ton of beers in the various "hazy pale ale" categories (India or not), then it might want to figure out ways of subdividing their group into smaller groups. I can imagine that being the case here. There's probably less need on their end to create a big bunch of groups based on strength for brown ale.
    A barley wine can also be 7% ABV though.
    I know you're being a little funny with your wording, but if I can take that comment seriously for a moment, Sierra Nevada obviously did no such thing. They simply made an incredibly hoppy barley wine. Going beyond that, the British made highly hopped strong ales way before Grossman was born.

17. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,778) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Not should be Terry... Can be. And SN has long since convinced me it's not necessarily a bad thing (as I was a huge fan of Bigfoot right from the get go). My recollection is that there was no DIPA or Imperial IPA style when SN first released bigfoot. I've always contended that were it released today, SN would likely characterize it as a dipa (a very malty one). God knows it would be in good company with that descriptor. (Devil dancer, 120 minute ipa, etc).

#18 John_M, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  18. beertunes

Society Trader

Which makes it then not a barleywine. I love Bigfoot, but the fact that it has to sit for 3 years before it starts to taste like a BW, drives me nuts. it woulda been nice if they had chosen some other style to call it. It's not an IPA (or any variant), it's not a Barleywine, maybe call it a Strong Ale and be done?

WesMantooth, SFACRKnight and zid like this.
  19. zid

Trader

I can totally sympathize with and understand that point of view. On my end, "barley wine" is just not something that I feel comfortable pinning down in such a way. Cheers man.

errantnight and beertunes like this.
  20. beertunes

Society Trader

I know. But, it's just one of those windmills at which I must tilt.

21. zid

Trader

I have so many darn giants in my view too.

beertunes likes this.
  22. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

American strong ale. Like abominable :stuck_out_tongue:

WesMantooth, sharpski and beertunes like this.
  23. Pstone530

Pstone530 Initiate (115) Mar 15, 2018 California
    Trader

Happy to see the love for the greater Sacramento region. Urban Roots, Moksa, Slice, Moonraker, Auburn Ale House all took home medals.

lucius10, jakecattleco and bret27 like this.
  24. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (655) Mar 28, 2009 California

wookey jack wins gold but I can’t buy bottles any more? Hope the medal brings back wookey jack.

jakecattleco, bret27, FBarber and 6 others like this.
  25. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Devotee (457) Jan 8, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Was cool to see some of the Houston breweries, unknown around the rest of the country (mostly), bring home some hardware

beertunes and russpowell like this.
  26. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,447) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Huzzah to KC Bier Co. They do a good job on their German style offerings. O'Fallon Smoked Porter? Might have to revisit. It didn't leave much of an impression on me. I guess I liked it better than I thought, gave it a 4.06 back in the day...

SFACRKnight and FBarber like this.
  27. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,567) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

That was the first thing that jumped out at me too. Winning gold with a beer you won't sell me anymore? Cmon FW, get it together and get me some wookie jack! Also, props to California for sweeping the coffee porter and stout category. And props to Beachwood for the win the Funk Yeah! That is a great blended beer and I'm.glad I still have a bottle

28. milkshakebeersucks

milkshakebeersucks Disciple (340) Feb 10, 2020 Maryland

Nothing on their website right now, but I hope they do too. It's been 4-5 years since I rated it on another site but I loved it. Thought it was the best in the category back then..

29. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,555) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Congrats to Wookie Jack that was always a great beer. I’m shocked to see Freak Of Nature win any medal, honestly I just never felt it was anything more than a middle of the road DIPA. That’s a big win in what’s a very high profile category.

SFACRKnight and Immortale25 like this.
  30. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (435) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Congrats to Penrose for taking gold in strong hazy pale category. A category they received bronze for the previous year. Truly one of the more under appreciated breweries out there.

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  31. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,361) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Can someone explain to me how Perrin's No Rules is a field beer? Is it just because it has coconut in it?

Edit: Just looked at the style guidelines and they say coconut qualifies as a vegetable :rolling_eyes:

32. beertunes

Society Trader

Plus, breweries are free to enter any beer in any category, so they tend to enter beers in categories where they think it improves their chances of winning. Your ImpSout is unlikely to medal in the Pilsner category though......... :wink:

33. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (3,906) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

I was with the owners and family of my local brewery while watching the awards.I was looking at what they entered and the styles they entered them as, and I was left scratching my head as it made no sense. They won a silver for Cookies and Cream Milk Stout entered into whatever meaningless category. Seemed to be a big deal to them.

JMN44 likes this.
  34. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,227) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I like many things about this site, but using this site as a reference for correct beer style classifications is not one of the reasons.

Heady Topper is listed as the #1 NEIPA beer here, and it’s not an NEIPA. I keep the brewer classification in my database, unless under a extremely circumstance a brewer’s classification is beyond reasonable and will note the deviation in my notes.

35. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Meyvn (1,135) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Trader

American Barleywines are certainly supposed to be hoppy - at least in accordance with the BJCP guidelines. They even list Sierra Nevada Bigfoot as a commercial example.
    Now, English Barleywine should not be perceptibly hoppy. Malt flavor dominates.

DEFINITELY agree about the 'old IPA becomes a barleywine'. Don't know where that got started but NOPE. To anyone subscribing to this belief - drink and old IPA next to a barleywine. Hugely different.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  36. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (496) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Based on my experience, when a DIPA or stronger sits around for a while it literally almost turns into a barley wine.

I’m sure others have had this experience... while they may have been a dipa at its origin, the way they sometimes drink as they age really does make me feel like I’m drinking an American barley wine- sorry if you don’t.

37. WCKDVBZ

Wouldn't that be considered a Brown Ale then?

38. lackenhauser

lackenhauser Poo-Bah (2,535) Dec 10, 2002 Maryland
    Society Trader

Once again I have never heard of 90% of these breweries. I need to get out more!

39. zid

Trader

You could also ask that question and use "pale ale" instead of brown ale. There's a lot of internal variety within the brown ale category and the barley wine category (and pale ale and IPA categories too). A barley wine can be near black or quite pale. It can be 7% or 12% ABV. They've even been known to be lower in ABV than that at one point in the past, but let's just stick to what's on the market today. If a hypothetical 7% ale resembled a brown ale, then perhaps the brewer would call it that... or they could go with barley wine if they thought it resembled that. Nothing has stopped brewers from calling some of their double digit ABV beers "imperial brown ale" instead of barley wine. It's all good.

I didn't actually look at the number of entries for those categories when I made that post, so I just did so now:

Category 53: American-Style Pale Ale - 156 Entries
    Category 54: Juicy or Hazy Pale Ale - 137 Entries
    Category 55: American-Style Strong Pale Ale - 149 Entries
    Category 56: Juicy or Hazy Strong Pale Ale - 145 Entries
    Category 57: American-Style India Pale Ale - 355 Entries
    Category 58: Juicy or Hazy India Pale Ale - 377 Entries
    Category 59: Imperial India Pale Ale - 166 Entries
    Category 60: Juicy or Hazy Imperial India Pale Ale - 192 Entries

From the point of view of event production and the logistics of actually judging these beers, you can see the inherent desire to have as many pale ale categories as they have. It's interesting to see how the number of entrants for the "hazy pale ales" lags behind "APA," but in the case of the "IPAs", the hazies have outnumbered their non-hazy siblings.

WCKDVBZ, ChicagoJ, sharpski and 2 others like this.