2020 Oktoberfests

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by meefmoff, Aug 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,941) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I really liked this beer last year. But this year it missed the mark for me.

I don’t know that I’d necessarily call it caramel on my palate, but it tasted like a classic missed American attempt at an amber Oktoberfest. More brown ale-like if anything.

2. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (669) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Shout out for the Tap (Haverhill) festbier. Malty & smooth, easy drinker.

3. eaglephile

eaglephile Initiate (164) Jan 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Added Paulaner Marzen and Hacker-Pschorr to the list this week. For being a marzen I thought HP was pretty light and super crushable. Paulaner had slightly more hop presence to my plate than most of the marzens I’ve been drinking, save for maybe von trapp, but Paulaner finished super smooth, like a disappearing act for the hops. Pretty impressive.

At this point, my favorites this year have been Weihenstephan for fests, and Ayinger for marzens.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  4. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (474) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I've noticed a bit more Festbiers compared to their malty counterparts this year. Which admittedly I haven't really tried because I enjoyed Oktoberfest's. SN's has been great and very welcomed however JA's Copper Legend was delicious and SA's Oktoberfest hits all the nostalgic notes as well. I want to search out a few more and may do a Mix a 6 this weekend.

5. AlcahueteJ

Society

You've noticed more pale Oktoberfests (Festbiers) domestically? Personally I haven't. Which one's have you seen?

Imported it's the usual suspects from previous years, with the recent addition (last year I think?) of Friesing's.

meefmoff likes this.
  6. jbertsch

jbertsch Poo-Bah (1,593) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Heads up that JA is released their "Munich style fest bier" yesterday If you're not near the brewery, it's supposed to see a little distribution so be on the look out. I think it was brewery-only last year and if it's like last year's version I highly recommend it. It's more pale than Copper Legend so if that's what you'd prefer... my only rub is that I think it's 6%. Would love it to be 5%.

7. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (157) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Looking forward to this one. But they said it will be available starting Friday.

jbertsch likes this.
  8. lic217

lic217 Savant (924) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

Had a couple Sierra Nevadas this week and I thought they tasted better now then a few weeks ago...

SunDevilBeer likes this.
  9. Takeanotherswing

Takeanotherswing Initiate (123) Jan 14, 2011 New York
    Trader

Definitely enjoyed the SN Oktoberfest as well as Threes Brewing’s Oak Aged Festbier, Far Between. Was disappointed in vonTrapp Oktoberfest this year. Enjoyed on tap but cans fell short for me.

eaglephile likes this.
  10. AlcahueteJ

Society

Well then it would just be a Helles wouldn't it?

The six Munich breweries' Oktoberfests at the tents are 5.8% to 6.3%.

The whole intention of Oktoberfest bier is to get rocked. While drinkable, they're definitely too high to really be "sessionable". You just kinda go in knowing...hey, I'm drinking 6% beer a liter at a time, shit's gonna happen.

Probably the Spalter Select (orange-ish character) fading and the malt pulling through more.

11. SunDevilBeer

Same here. A bit more malty.

lic217 likes this.
  12. jbertsch

Society Trader

Yeah fair point, I forget that's the norm at Oktoberfest, so I hear. I think it's just my selfish personal interests to have it lower in ABV. For some reason I want it lower than copper legend.
    Regardless, glad it's coming back. And thanks to @Capt_Quint for correcting the date

AlcahueteJ and Capt_Quint like this.
  13. AlcahueteJ

Society

Just drink House Lager I guess?

Sheppard likes this.
  14. 1009

1009 Zealot (523) Jan 20, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

If anyone is looking for a local fest beer in MA, try and find Dorchester Brewing's Fest Bier. I thought it was delicious. The brewery itself is awesome, got some good food too.

eaglephile and AlcahueteJ like this.
  15. AlcahueteJ

Society

Notch’s is a pale Oktoberfest too, unfortunately cans sold out in a few days, but it’s still on draft I believe.

Sheppard likes this.
  16. SunDevilBeer

Agree, that was a disappointment for me too, since I like most other beers from Schilling.

I think I'm going back to another Hoffbrau mini-keg for the upcoming weekend. Feel like I've sampled most of the fest-biers this season, so I'm returning to the classic.

17. AlcahueteJ

Society

Yup same here, I think I've torn through mostly everything and my fridge is STOCKED with all kinds of other lager goodies now.

Might pick up some Paulaner Marzen/Weihenstephan Oktoberfestbier since those were my favorites this year if I pick up any Oktoberfests at all. I've noticed them dwindling on the shelves already too.

Also might grab some drafts that have popped up around my area. Otherwise, the season is wrapping up for me as it always does this time of year since I start in August.

Ohh, forgot CBC's Fall Fest next weekend too which will have Oktoberfests and pumpkin beers.

18. Capt_Quint

Trader

Looks like they listened to you. The website has it listed at 5.4%

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  19. AlcahueteJ

Society

That’s not authentic at all! It’s probably terrible. :wink:

Capt_Quint likes this.
  20. jbertsch

Society Trader

My work here is done :sunglasses:

meefmoff, AlcahueteJ and Capt_Quint like this.
  21. Capt_Quint

Trader

Well, the cans say 6%. Sooooo IDK. :crazy_face:

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  22. jbertsch

Society Trader

Yep just picked up my cans and noticed. Darn I'll just have to be 0.6% more buzzed tonight :grin:

Prost!

AlcahueteJ, Bierman9 and Capt_Quint like this.
  23. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (278) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

Turtle Swamp in JP has a marzen that’s fresh hopped with local hops. I’m not a big marzen guy(I prefer fest beer) but I dig the fresh hop addition.

eaglephile and rhino88888888 like this.
  24. AlcahueteJ

Society

Now your work is done here.

25. SunDevilBeer

Finally got over to Magouns in Somerville on Sunday for some NFL and festbiers. Windows were wide open and only 3 other patrons in the place, so felt pretty darn safe.

Had liters of W'phaner and Ayinger, both were delicious. Offerings not as diverse this season I assume due to COVID, but was good to get some tasty drafts.

26. AlcahueteJ

Society

I swung by Longcross in Medford (their new sister restaurant). It's in the same plaza as Regina, Five Guys, Stone Cold Creamery over by Wellington.

Really nice place, love the lay out. Would have been to nice to sit inside, but...

They have outdoor seating unlike Magoun's. They had Hofbrau, Hacker-Pschorr, and CBC's Festbier on tap for Oktoberfests. Highly recommend swinging by before it's too cold out.

Both the H-P and CBC drafts were damn good.

meefmoff and rhino88888888 like this.
  27. traction

traction Devotee (466) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

There is a huge German presence in Helen, GA and they throw a massive traditional Oktoberfest every year. Sadly it was canceled this year but 2021 will be their 50th Anniversary and I assume quite awesome.

If you live anywhere near by you should Google it. It is the closest I have ever come to being in Germany.

AlcahueteJ and Bierman9 like this.
  28. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Did anyone ever end up seeing Benediktiner Festbier anywhere this year? I thought that shit was a steal at $7 a four pack and would still be a very good beer at regular prices. Bummed I never came across any.

And thanks for the tip on Longcross folks. I had forgotten about them and had been hoping for an outdoor option to scratch a Magoun's itch.

rhino88888888 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  29. lic217

lic217 Savant (924) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

Found some in West Hartford At the total wine store.

meefmoff likes this.
  30. Bierman9

Bierman9 Poo-Bah (5,458) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Kelsen (Derry NH) and Stark ((Manchester NH) both released their latest versions of their Märzens yesterday..... Kelsen available on tap , growlers, and 0.5l bottles; Stark on tap and growlers.... Both in the traditional, amber style.. I visited both and tried some of each.... Both clear copper color, with toasty malts and subtle caramel/toffee. Neither bier had much in the way of any hopping, with the Stark having a more pronounced toasty character. Can't go wrong with either, and Kelsen still has their tasty Helles and Maibock pouring.

Zum Wohl!!!

rhino88888888, Davl22 and AlcahueteJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.