2021 North American Beer Awards (NABA) Winners

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BBThunderbolt, Sep 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

2. tone77

tone77 May 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Thanks for posting this list.
    I have noticed that no east coast state won a medal other than 1 brewer in MA. Were any east coast brewers, or even, eastern Canadian brewers invited to this competition?

#2 tone77, Sep 1, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    mgross50, BMBCLT, ChicagoJ and 2 others like this.
  3. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

As usual for any comp, they don't release who entered. Shrug.

tone77 likes this.
  4. Fenski

Fenski Apr 24, 2008 Ohio
    Society

So I guess North America is "West of the Mississippi especially Salt Lake City and Bend"? Am I missing something here?

jvgoor3786, BMBCLT, ChicagoJ and 2 others like this.
  5. Specialmick

Specialmick Aug 26, 2019 Connecticut

That was some of the weakest sh*t i have ever seen. What a joke that beer fest

BMBCLT, ChicagoJ and Rug like this.
  6. sharpski

sharpski Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Beer competitions have varying eligibility rules, but generally are not invitationals. Interested breweries pay entry fees and ship samples for judging at their own expense. I’m biased, but I think blind judging feedback helps breweries make better beer.

mikeinportc, Squire, ChicagoJ and 4 others like this.
  7. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Well, 10 Barrel (which is owned by Inbev), and has multiple locations won 18 medals. I don't know if this competition just piles all breweries together, or judges by individual location. Regional blog touches on some of these issues, but there were even breweries from South America entered, so it's really up to breweries to enter: http://washingtonbeerblog.com/naba-beer-awards-wa-brewers-win-big-but-or-brewers-win-bigger/

Rug likes this.
  8. BMBCLT

BMBCLT May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Society

Can't call it a North American Beer Awards and not have a single brewery from East Coast.

9. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

The breweries have to enter. Plus, a brewery from Massachusetts won a couple medals. is that not East Coast enough?

10. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

14 medals for Wyoming brewers. Yay!!

11. Hinda65

Hinda65 May 7, 2017 Utah
    Trader

Ya east coasters....don't be butt hurt.. The truth is finally coming out that Utah and Wyoming brew better beers than you. Anyone want to set up a trade?

12. BMBCLT

BMBCLT May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Society

One brewery from East Coast and that it's. The list looks a bit sketchy. I sense some bias there. How the hell is that even possible? There are so many great breweries from all over the country.

Rug likes this.
  13. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Again, a brewery has to want to enter. A brewery has to put the effort in. As to the sketchy factor, this comp is well established, and is considered the 2nd best comp, after GABF (whose judging is going on this week), in the country. It's not on the organizers to go beg every brewery in the country to submit beers. The judges can only judge beers that are in front of them.

14. Squire

Squire Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  15. Grounder

Grounder Jun 20, 2019 Illinois

After a couple of pages I simply scrolled through looking only at the locations and trying to estimate the percentage of winners who are not in OR, WA, MT, UT, ID or some other nearby state.

Rug likes this.
  16. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Congrats @dauss. And somehow BJ's brewhouse in Boulder? @Domingo have you sampled the crispybois coming from these guys?

ManBearPat likes this.
  17. sharpski

sharpski Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

As long as shipping costs money (and shipping beer costs extra), there’s going to be a bias towards entries from nearby breweries. Not a bias in how the beer is judged, but of course it’s more attractive to compete when your sales rep can drop off the competition samples vs. paying the shipping costs.

Also, with GABF in Denver, NABA in Idaho Falls and (shameless plug) BOCBA in Bend, but no major competitions consistently hosted in the East, it stands to reason that breweries in the West are more familiar and comfortable with beer competitions.

afrokaze and BBThunderbolt like this.
  18. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I had the all the you can eat soup and salad today for lunch at one of the winning breweries, and I didn't even know it! Thanks, BJs.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  19. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I haven't had the pale bock that won, but I've tried quite a few BJ's beers at the Aurora location. From what I understand, all of the BJ's beers on the front range are produced at that same Boulder location. I've always liked their beers, although the food's kinda "meh" at the moment. They can't make up their mind what they want to be. I might have to drop in and see what else they have at the moment. I haven't been in since COVID.

ManBearPat, ChicagoJ and SFACRKnight like this.
  20. MNAle

MNAle Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Just FYI... the judging is done blind.

You have to enter to win.

afrokaze and BBThunderbolt like this.
  21. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I work circa 6th and chambers and have ordered food from them. It's always been pretty meh. Never tried the beer, probably never will with the food being mediocre.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.