2022 Beer Goals for Better Beer Advocacy

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by elNopalero, Jan 3, 2022.

1. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,189) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Happy Monday fellow advocates!

Like many of you, I enjoy all the lists and wonky beer-related data we have here, and I am impressed by folks who have tried the top 250 beers--or all of those on the bottom, for that matter. That's not me--I'm nowhere close!

In the same spirit of completion, however, here are my 2022 beer goals towards becoming a better beer advocate:

1. I am three styles away from reviewing at least one beer in each style on BA. Sooo close! Can I do it before the styles are updated? The kicker is that I have tried a beer in each of my remaining styles already--prior to joining BA and keeping track of things. But them's the rules...

2. Once I complete the list of styles I am going to move on to the states. I'm down by 11, with some striking absences. (Looking at you, Georgia, Virginia, and New Jersey!) I'm not a trader, and with COVID I stopped traveling, but I am long overdue for a trip out east/south. This might be a 2023 goal, but I think it is in reach.

3. Moving on to countries: I am looking for more beers from across Latin America. I also have a running list of specific countries--Hungary, Croatia, Vietnam, for starters--that I hope to check off this year. Since I am not traveling internationally I'll live vicariously through each sip.

A big part of my first three goals are in the vein of "if I can't visit ___, then I'll bring ___ to me."

4. Post more reviews, and participate more in my favorite forums and real-time tastings! I have a backlog of place and beer reviews to finish up that I've been sitting on for months. And I'm more of a 'frequent listener, first time caller' with the Online Tasting, New Beer, and even Other Beverage forums. Since I'm there already, I might as well jump in.

Remind me in another year and I'll see how I did.

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,283) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

My goal in 2022 is to increase my financial support of the many local craft breweries in my area.

Once I obtained my second vaccine shot (late spring 2021) I started visiting the local brewery taprooms with the hope that my financial support will keep them in business. I have no idea what impacts this latest Omicron spike will have over the next month(s) but as long as the taprooms remain open I will be going and buying beer. I really hope that all of the local craft breweries that survived the last 20+ months of turmoil will continue to survive.

Cheers!

3. beer_beer

beer_beer Devotee (489) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

Will continue to order NA beers from my two supermarkets. All in all they have around 100 different, getting in new in a maybe suitable pace. To my delight a domestic actor has started to deliver mixed NA cases of different styles/countries. May try that too, but I'd prefer to choose every beer myself.

4. heysuz

heysuz Meyvn (1,273) Nov 18, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

My beer goals for 2022 remain pretty much as they have for the last 10 years:

• Complete the beer styles list: Which I completed the current version of 114 in 2021. Now it's about time the list is revised. :wink:
    • Complete the 51 US states and DC: I'm currently at 47, needing DC, North and South Dakota, and West Virginia.
    • There are several top lists I've been working on: (recent changes caused a big hit)
      • Beers of Fame: currently completed 211
      • American Imperial Stouts: currently completed 38 (53 pre-update)
      • Russian Imperial Stouts: currently completed 33 (48 pre-update)
      • Milk/Sweet Stouts: currently completed 30 (37 pre-update)
      • Oatmeal Stouts: currently completed 30 (34 pre-update)
      • Home State = Indiana: currently completed 55 (66 pre-update)
      • Top 250: currently completed 71 (87 pre-update)
    • As far as true advocacy: Am making concerted effort to contribute to the site as far as reviewing more, pictures, new beers, brewery info, etc. (Ultimately: personal goal is to reach Poo Bah status): currently at 1270 Karma points (need 230 more) and contributing reviews, pics, places, beers, etc. will get me there, more importantly (I feel) is just the contribution and giving back to the site.
    For me, it's not about just being a ticker, it's just as much about wanting to experience the best there is, and view ticking as achieving that goal. Also, for me, it's not so much the end goal but the journey.

Have a great 2022 and stay safe

Hey Suz

5. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,286) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Supporting local breweries has been one of my goals too. I really didn't shut things down because of the pandemic, but it was curbside pick-up when the places were closed.

Besides supporting the dozen or so breweries within 25 miles of me, I like to take off on extended pub crawls, and I am starting to think about one thru the South and up the East Coast this summer so that I can get further along with my goal to drink a beer while in each state. I can easily knock off 5 needed ticks with this summer trip, then I only have AK and HI left to visit.

o29, Spade, Beersnake1 and 6 others like this.
  6. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,189) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Goal #5: get the hang of posting photos!

bubseymour, MikeWard, o29 and 4 others like this.
  7. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,948) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Drink more beer. Try to review more this year. Possibly get back in the habit of using proper glassware.

o29, PapaGoose03, elNopalero and 2 others like this.
  8. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (3,042) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

My goals:

1) Drink more barleywine! I need to reach 100 in both American and English categories!

2) Review more

3) Visit breweries more often and try new beers/styles

4) Continue to learn more about beer, especially about historical aspects of brewing and styles

o29, PapaGoose03 and elNopalero like this.
  9. Troy-Hawaii

Troy-Hawaii Meyvn (1,416) Jun 15, 2015 Hawaii
    Society

Enjoy the beers I have available to me and not regret the ones that are not available to me.

10. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,054) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

My goal is to visit more local breweries this year. I feel like, over the last couple of years (dating before the pandemic), my breweries visited list hasn't really grown all that much. It continues to be hard given the ongoing pandemic, but I think that most everything else in my life has settled down to the point where I can make more excursions. This is in addition to supporting my local favorites.

I reviewed just shy of 300 beers last year and I'm not looking to touch that this year. Although I will continue to review as many beers as I have, not getting close to that will be a result of me taking better care of myself.

PapaGoose03, o29 and ChicagoJ like this.
  11. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (758) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

Going dry from mid-Feb to mid-March (ends right before St Patrick's), afterwards will be drinking plenty of Guinness for about a week before moving on to Spring goals:

Fox Farm visit
    Another Tree House visit (went in mid-December)
    Finally getting to Trillium to check out new space
    Hanging out in the taprrom at Long Live (my favorite RI brewery)

Moving on the lighter stuff (lagers mainly) in the summer. Plenty of good lagers produced locally.

Like others, trying to keep it local most of the time.

Spade, cavedave, Rug and 2 others like this.
  12. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Meyvn (1,056) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Let's see...I already give a moderate amount of business to local brewpubs and purveyors of fine quality imported beverages on tap, frequent several non-chain bottle shops that do pretty well on stock turnover, and do homework ahead of any road trips to plan out specific brewery stops in addition to whatever other goal the trip involves. So mine would be keep on keepin' on?

Sheppard, sulldaddy and PapaGoose03 like this.
  13. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Meyvn (1,476) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Wow I’m pretty impressed with everyone’s goals. Not even close to being able to complete most of those

for myself, it’s simple. 1)Review more. Ive been doing ratings since I joined but have only been doing reviews for about a year now. Its been a lot of fun writing reviews of beers i rated years ago and of course all the new beers also. 2) keep posting in the cellaring and beer and food threads. Really love those communities

sulldaddy and PapaGoose03 like this.
  14. AzfromOz

AzfromOz Initiate (22) Aug 22, 2020 Australia
    Trader

My goals for this year are simple:

1. Less lurking and more participation on BA.
    2. Continue working through my wishlist (2000+ beers at the moment).
    3. Keep healthy, drink in moderation, and continue my streak of not dieing of cancer.
    4. Establish some trading-type relationships with the good folk of BA.
    5. Start at least one WBAYDN (small steps, people).
    6. Make you all jealous that I live in God's favoured land south of the equator. Mission accomplished, surely?
    Cheers

*Just to be clear, number three is due to personal experience, and not a comment made flippantly!

15. Beerspeakspeoplemumble

Beerspeakspeoplemumble Initiate (23) Sep 12, 2021 Connecticut

My goal is to start to review more beer, Ive been having too much fun @ the virtual bar (WBAYDN?). And just to explore more of what this site has to offer.

sulldaddy and Coronaeus like this.
  16. Rug

Rug Meyvn (1,450) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

In addition to completing (or at least working on) top 250 and other lists, I want to branch out and visit more breweries around me. It's so easy for me to get stuck in a rut of just going to Tree House and getting a bunch of beer to last me weeks instead of exploring different options. I know, first world problems, and I love TH, but it's time to explore what else MA and other states around have to offer

17. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,283) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

To borrow the tag line from Nike: Just Do It!

[​IMG]

And maybe bring a friend along?

Cheers!

BigIronH, PapaGoose03 and Rug like this.
  18. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,942) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

I guess my goals are to continue trying new (to me) beers and expanding the number of beers I’ve tried (hope to hit 10K in 2023) - as well as breweries (hope to hit 2K in 2022/2023) and countries (whenever I can find a beer from a new one… also maybe some travel again this year).

ChicagoJ, Mindcrime1000 and Rug like this.
  19. Rug

Society Trader

10K is a massive milestone my friend. I'm gonna hit 1K around April and I have quite a big beer planned for it :wink:

ChicagoJ likes this.
  20. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,942) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Well it has been almost 15 years on the site and 11 years of doing ratings/reviews.

ChicagoJ, Rug and PapaGoose03 like this.
  21. Rug

Society Trader

Hell yeah man, yet another milestone. Cheers :beers:

ChicagoJ likes this.
  22. nomisugitai

nomisugitai Initiate (129) Mar 11, 2006 New Jersey

Get my back fixed so I can homebrew again. Carrying 5 gallons around has become nearly impossible. I went for some diagnostic testing last week. That's what they called it, it really was torture. One doctor hit me with a stun gun, and the other doctor electrocuted me with needles stuck in my back.

I also want to buy whatever beer that I want and not worry so much about price.

Sheppard, Rug and PapaGoose03 like this.
  23. Spade

Spade Initiate (166) Mar 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Almost makes me wish I had been a doctor, as those are things I'd like to do to people on a daily basis.

Rug likes this.
  24. Rug

Society Trader

You could still do it, they just have a license for it :grin:

PapaGoose03 and Spade like this.
  25. RBlaszak

RBlaszak Initiate (118) Jul 6, 2009 Michigan

Long time member - rarely a poster.

As my wife has quit her white-collar day job and is now working as a brewer, taking classes and earned her cicerone — I’m definitely going to need much more engaged with beer and brewing life than I’ve been in the past.

My advocacy will consist of being less judgmental, while still trying to stretch people’s horizons and appreciation for well-crafted local and independent beers.

26. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,286) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Welcome to the forums! Hang around here and we'll get you educated as much as you want. :wink:

Rug likes this.