2022 Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Triple IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Apr 27, 2022.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (399) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

The package/bottle art is pretty cool:

2. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,190) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Hmmm... I like the sounds of the current version. Previous batches were too malty and boozy for me. Will try this version.

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,467) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

John, I look forward to hearing what you think of this beer.

Cheers!

Shanex, John_M and BrewsOverHoes like this.
  4. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,824) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

I thought the same, OP. New packaging art looks quite nice imo. I'll be on the lookout to see if the contents are on par with it. Just a friendly reminder for those interested as well to check on the following beer finder -> https://finder.vtinfo.com/finder/web/v2/iframe?custID=SNB

[​IMG]

DrOfGolf, oneeye, Squire and 5 others like this.
  5. ESHBG

Thanks for including that beer finder, as it's way better than the one on their site. I just checked and this has already dropped in my area. A six pack is too much for my drinking habits these days so I'll be on the lookout for a single.

BrewsOverHoes and Jaycase like this.
  6. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,054) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Definitely agree with the upgraded packaging art.

Haven't bought this in years. Don't do many big ipas like this anymore. Maybe I'll see it on draught?

defunksta likes this.
  7. o29

o29 Disciple (346) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

Guess I'll be the first to state that I'm not the biggest fan of the new weird keg hammer-wielding personified hop person. He looks like he's straight out of The Mask. I don't really understand the keg hammer thing, nor why he would need the sword on his waist.

Personally I felt there was nothing wrong with the old label, but I can also see how this new label is more likely to catch the eye of a random customer walking by over the older, perhaps more generic-looking art.

[​IMG]

In comparing the labels directly, I think it's the mouth on the new label that increases the creepy factor for me.

Regardless I do hope that the flavor profile sees some changes as well since like others this one is usually a little too malty for me.

8. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,755) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Loudly announcing the 11% ABV will get some attention I expect.

crazyspicychef, DrOfGolf, o29 and 2 others like this.
  9. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I've got to believe that you've correctly identified the motivations for the change

crazyspicychef and o29 like this.
  10. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,197) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Yeah, I’m getting some serious Bloodborne/HP Lovecraft vibes from the new label. I really love it, personally

11. tolar111

tolar111 Crusader (731) Aug 17, 2008 New York

That beer finder was right on the money for me. I picked up a 6 yesterday. Bottles were dated 3/31. Got a reasonably fresh 12 pack of Pale Ale too.

12. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (954) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Was never a fan of this beer. This package will make me walk right in past. Feels like SN is really pushing hard and maybe not in the right way.

Do they really see a huge market in this beer? I remember this was a 4 pack, does a six sell better? Guessing $16-18?

I hope SN finds their footing and gets back to great beer in great variety.

Enjoy

13. JackHorzempa

Society

It seems to me that Sierra Nevada has made a business decision to 'concentrate' on producing hoppy beers (e.g., IPAs). Given the situation that the IPA style is the best selling craft beer style I suppose this may make sense? I can anecdotally report that this strategy does not work with me since invariably SN beers are old at my local beer retailers. I am a fan of Dankful IPA and the other day at my local beer retailer I had a six-pack of Dankful IPA in my hand that was canned in June 2021; in a few months that beer will be one year old. If I have a desire to purchase an IPA I will buy a locally produced IPA which is fresh (e.g., less than 2/3 months old).

Cheers!

14. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,079) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Maybe breweries should change the art every time there's a change of the recipe.

From Bitterbill's dream world.

15. medb

medb Initiate (67) Aug 27, 2013 California

I see they're also going to release a Cold IPA version of Torpedo, wasn't that over a long time ago?

o29 and JackHorzempa like this.
  16. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I don't understand how there's such a market for these super high abv ipas but lots of breweries make them out here. You will regularly see posters in the pacific forum comment that certain brewers "make great triple ipas", implying that they do so regularly. I've personally lost much interest in beers like this, but apparently there is a market for them and brewers out here seem to think that demand remains unmet.

I'd say the cold ipa thing is the latest iteration of the ipl trend, and it seems to be doing well so far. Personally, I love the concept. A bright hoppy beer with a light and crisp malt profile? Sign me up. It seems like it's not an easy task, but I'll definitely try cold ipa version of torpedo

defunksta, BruChef, ChicagoJ and 4 others like this.
  17. JackHorzempa

Society

LOL! :grin:

It would seem that "Cold IPA" is not "over" (yet).

Cheers!

rodbeermunch likes this.
  18. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Not up here in the NW. Most of the more popular IPA producers up here have added one to their IPA repertoire.

Beer_Economicus, medb and o29 like this.
  19. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

20. readyski

readyski Defender (600) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Society Trader

You realize you don't have to (nor should) drink the entire sixer all at once :grimacing:, best to drink over a few weeks.

o29 likes this.
  21. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

???? It would be like drinking a couple bottles of wine at a sitting. What could go wrong?

ESHBG, o29, tolar111 and 1 other person like this.
  22. pbrian

pbrian Crusader (743) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

I've never seen a Cold IPA in the wild, so never really looked into what it is, but if that's the definition, sign me up as well!

tolar111 likes this.
  23. JackHorzempa

Society

Below is an extract from Wayfinder Brewery as regards their Cold IPA:

"How it’s made

Adjunct lager malt bill. 20-40% rice or corn mashed with all American two row pilsner malt. No caramel malts. Fermented to incredible dryness. 82-88% apparent degree of fermentation.

Lager yeast fermented warm. Quick fermenting yeast that throws low ester and low sulfur. Kölsch, Chico or California Common yeast could be substituted. It MUST not have high sulfur or high ester notes. Cold IPA is a canvas for IPA hops.

Dry hopped warm during spunding or krausening. This achieves bio-transformation while negating O2 pickup.

Filtered crystal clear and well-carbonated. Cold IPA is the anti-thesis of NEIPA.

Characteristics

Color: Straw to pale

Clarity: Appearance should be clear. Chill haze should not be present

Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Malt sweetness is very low to low. Alcohol sweetness is medium. These beers finish extremely dry. Increased perceived sweetness may be due to increased alcohol.

Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: High, exhibiting floral, fruity (berry, tropical, stone fruit and other), sulfur, diesel-like, onion-garlic, catty, citrusy, piney or resinous character that was originally associated with American-variety hops. Hops with these attributes now also originate from countries other than the USA.

Perceived Bitterness: Medium to high, but not harsh

Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters and complex alcohol aromas and flavors are acceptable at low levels. Alcohol should not be solvent-like. Diacetyl should not be present.

Body: Low to medium-low

Additional notes: Finish should exhibit low to medium-low body with a clean, crisp malt character evident at low levels. Up to 40% corn and/or rice in the grist should be used. These crisp and refreshing beers are fermented warm with lager yeast or cold with ale yeast.

Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.055-1.065 (13.5-16.0 °Plato) • Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.006-1.009 (1.6-2.4 °Plato) • Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 5.1%-6.3% (6.4%-7.9%) • Hop Bitterness (IBU) 50-70 • Color SRM 2.5-5"

https://www.wayfinder.beer/cold-ipa

I am not aware that Cold IPA is an 'official' beer styles (i.e., does not exist yet in style guidelines: Brewers Association, BJCP, etc.) but the above verbiage from Wayfinder sure reads like a beer style description. Perhaps Wayfinder's not so subtle strategy to influence an update to the Brewers Association style guideline?

Cheers!

cu29, arizcards, jkblr and 3 others like this.
  24. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I've only had one, but it definitely hit that super aromatic over a clean crisp malt body note for me

25. woodchipper

woodchipper Poo-Bah (1,500) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

#25 woodchipper, Apr 29, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    o29 and Bitterbill like this.
  26. o29

Society Trader

I got a notice this afternoon that my local TW just got these in stock, and I was planning on stopping by there tomorrow so I'll try to pick some up and report back on how/if the flavor profile is different from prior years (I think I've only had the 2020 and 2021 vintages, though).

According to Untappd it's priced at $12.99 for a 6 pack which is a slightly better price than I expected, though for comparison, 2022 Bigfoot was priced at the same TW at $11.99.

To your point I'm not sure a 6 pack makes more sense than a 4 pack for a beer at this high of an ABV (and I may regret purchasing that many), but I'm going to hope for the best and tell myself that I'm doing it for BA!

I have similar concerns with year-round releases particularly at retailers like TW that store the majority of their beer warm, but fortunately with SN's seasonal releases if I buy them early on I can usually guarantee freshness to a degree.

#26 o29, Apr 30, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  27. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

It's the same up here, and we're a lot closer to Chico. No sign of hoptimum within 50 miles of here

o29 and woodchipper like this.
  28. Squire

Society Trader

This is beginning to peak my interest.

o29 likes this.
  29. ESHBG

Nah this type of beer is usually a one and done for me. And unlike something like an Imperial Stout, by the time I would get through the others they wouldn't be the same beer anymore and not for the better.

30. ESHBG

Dankful is in this variety pack too so it may be your chance to find it fresh :wink:

rodbeermunch, o29 and JackHorzempa like this.
  31. Resistance88

Resistance88 Disciple (386) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Im the same way. Id buy a 4/6 (hell even a 12 pack if i found one!)of a variety of RIS/AIS/IS over 11% anyday over a 4 pack of an 11% of IPA

32. medb

medb Initiate (67) Aug 27, 2013 California

My bad, I’m not the biggest beer hound going but I remember reading about them a good while back and them didn’t see many around and thought the style went the way of Brut IPA. I’ll definitely give both beers a go, but 11% is a bit much.
    Big Little Thing is one of my go to beers (after Hop Bullet was decommissioned), and given that it’s 9% I sometimes give it a pass. I end up feeling like I need a nap after and wouldn’t be able to operate heavy machinery.

o29, ESHBG and AlfromPA like this.
  33. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Cold IPA's don't typically have that kind of abv. Most of the one's I've seen up here are in the 6.5% to 7% abv. range.

So far, I haven't seen any DIPA or TIPA versions of cold IPA's (though I'm sure it's probably only a matter of time).

o29 and Bitterbill like this.
  34. o29

Society Trader

As promised, I picked up a 6 pack today at TW for $12.99.

[​IMG]

And it's not bad! But also perhaps not as different from prior years as I had hoped.

The heavy malt backbone is still there, though this time buoyed a bit more by the hop profile which does seem more modern in flavor profile compared to past years.

Overall I think I slightly prefer 2022 over 2020 and 2021, though I still think this beer would be better if it kept the ABV in the 8-9% range, as it still comes off as a bit too boozy (though is that surprising at 11%?).

35. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (346) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

From reading through reviews on untappd, there's still a huge market for high octane beers and the higher the abv, the higher the rating. Especially if they drink easy.

rodbeermunch, deanzaZZR, o29 and 3 others like this.
  36. ESHBG

Due to just the economics alone I think there will always be a market, as a high ABV beer for a good price is pretty enticing to many.

37. Squire

Society Trader

Good notes, thanks.

o29 likes this.
  38. o29

Society Trader

Glad you found my notes helpful!

I thought after I posted it that maybe I didn't include enough information about actual hop flavors rather than simply referring to them as "more modern" so I did a little research into the hops used as I wasn't as familiar with BRU-1 or Pahto, and SN's own description mentions a flavor profile of "pineapple, orange creamsicle, bubble gum, and a cloud of dank. Juicy citrus flavor shines through the lighter malt body..."

BRU-1 is described here as "[having] a high Myrcene oil content that makes up over 50% of the total oil and contributes aromas of pineapple and stone fruit that is backed by a soft spice" while here Pahto is described as "herbal, earthy, and floral". Amarillo is often described as having citrus and melon notes (along with its high Myrcene concentration), while finally Simcoe tends to contribute stone fruit and piney characteristics when used in brewing beer.

For comparison, the 2021 vintage used the following hops: Magnum, Idaho 7, El Dorado & Mosaic. Dry-hop: Citra, Mosaic lupulin powder, Loral & Magnum.

I'm happy to report that while I'd be hard-pressed to identify each of these individual characteristics, the above descriptions were fairly reflective of the flavor profile I noted in the 2022 vintage. Unfortunately SN's website lists the hops in alphabetical order so it's difficult to know the ratios used, but the flavors that stood out to me the most to me would be citrus/melon. I did note some additional subtle fruit flavors that further rounded out the profile beyond those, but those two seemed to stick out the most to my palate. The typical SN pine was scaled back significantly compared to prior years, though it was still present.

After drinking 2 so far I'm enjoying them, but I also feel that many of the hop flavors described above would be easier to identify without the 11% malt base that SN humorously describes as a "lighter malt body." Still a good beer, however, and the more modern hop flavors combine with the approachable price point of $12.99/6 pack to make this a decent deal (even though a 4 pack probably still makes more sense given its high ABV).

#38 o29, May 4, 2022
    Last edited: May 4, 2022
    ESHBG, tolar111 and Jaycase like this.
  39. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Aspirant (219) Jan 8, 2015 California

Yikes, that's a beer that needs to be sold in 4 packs!:astonished::astonished:

40. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,349) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Used to love this beer, been many years since I’ve had it. Very rarely
    drink IPAs now but may dabble with this one for the nostalgia.

Also, new label is stupid and weird; old label is awesome and iconic.

Now get off my lawn.

Hilltopper, Hatzilla and o29 like this.