2022 World Beer Cup Winners Announced

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, May 6, 2022.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,682) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

More than 10,000 entries from 57 countries vie for recognition in world’s most prestigious professional beer competition

Minneapolis • May 5, 2022 — The Brewers Association (BA)—the not-for-profit trade group dedicated to promoting and protecting America’s small and independent craft brewers—announced the results of the largest international commercial beer competition, the 2022 World Beer Cup® (WBC). The awards were presented in a ceremony Thursday evening at the conclusion of the Craft Brewers Conference® & BrewExpo America® at the Minneapolis Convention Center.

Returning after cancellation in 2020 because of the pandemic, the 2022 World Beer Cup was the largest competition to date, with 10,542 entries from 2,493 breweries representing 57 countries.

Entries were evaluated by an elite panel of 226 judges from 28 countries. Competition judging took place in 18 sessions over nine days. Judges bestowed 307 out of 309 total possible awards, reflecting the opportunity for one gold, silver, and bronze award in each of 103 beer style categories. No gold or silver was awarded in Category 68: Belgian-Style Witbier.

“The World Beer Cup showcases the incredible breadth and talent of the global brewing community,” said Chris Swersey, competition director, World Beer Cup. “Winning an award at this extremely competitive event symbolizes one of the greatest accomplishments in the art of brewing. Congratulations to this year’s winners on their outstanding achievements.”

Historically a biennial event, the World Beer Cup competition will move to an annual event beginning in 2023, it was announced. Brewery registration for the 2023 World Beer Cup will open in October 2022, with the awards presented May 10, 2023 at the Craft Brewers Conference in Nashville, Tenn.

View the 2022 winners or download a PDF list of the winners.

Download 2022 Fact Sheet.

COMPETITION HIGHLIGHTS
    • Average number of beers entered per category: 102
    • Most entered style categories:

American-Style India Pale Ale: 384
      Juicy or Hazy India Pale Ale: 343
      German-Style Pilsener: 254
      Wood- and Barrel-Aged Strong Stout: 237
      International Pilsener or International Lager: 231
      Munich-Style Helles: 202
    • Number of countries represented: 57
    • Countries with the most awards:

United States: 252
      Canada: 14
      Germany: 11
    • Country with the highest winning rate: Ireland (16.67%)
    • First-time country winner: Colombia, Pola Del Pub, Bogotá, for its “Saison Con Miel" Specialty Saison entry
    The 2022 World Beer Cup competition was made possible in part by the generous support of its sponsors: Presenting Sponsor - Siemens; Partner Sponsors - ABS Commercial, Barth-Haas Group, Fermentis, First Key Consulting, Rahr Malting, and Sahm.

###

2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,982) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I'm confused. How can 10 Barrel and Devil's Backbone (AB-InBev) be involved in this? Are there multiple definitions of "small and independent" that I'm not aware of?

BigIronH, Rug, jasonmason and 8 others like this.
  3. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,925) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

The WBC is organized by the BA, but is not exclusively for BA members.

4. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,266) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Most bizarre decision to give Allagash White a bronze and have it be the only witbier to medal in a category with 102 entries.

5. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

This is likely because it was the only one to meet style guidelines. They don't issue every medal if the beers don't meet standards.

jakecattleco, Rug, Roguer and 7 others like this.
  6. beer_beer

beer_beer Defender (656) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

All the best NA beers are from the States? Great, must test!

Category 14: Non-Alcohol Beer - 123 Entries
    Gold: Golden Lager, Grüvi, Denver, CO
    Silver: Non-Alcoholic Black Butte, Deschutes Brewery, Bend, OR
    Bronze: Parallel, Southern Grist Brewing Co., Nashville, TN

7. meanmutt

meanmutt Meyvn (1,134) Feb 6, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

Excellent to see MadTree bring home some hardware for Ziegler and Legendary Lager!

taalhiker, Manta200, ChicagoJ and 4 others like this.
  8. riko

riko Initiate (119) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

Nice to see San Diego dominating the American IPA category.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  9. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Crusader (708) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

Nice to see my favorite beer in the world get recognition:

Category 55: International Pale Ale - 90 Entries
    Gold: Hello, LA, Highland Park Brewery, Los Angeles, CA :fire:

10. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Poo-Bah (1,784) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Damn 101 breweries messed that up pretty badly, haha.

jasonmason, ChicagoJ and dcotom like this.
  11. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Well, more likely they were trying to "innovate" or "put their own twist on it". But, these higher level competitions have clearly defined boxes to check. Getting outside the box probably won't get a brewery a medal.

sharpski likes this.
  12. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Aspirant (229) Jan 8, 2015 California

TIL Morgan Territory Brewing makes award winning lagers. I believe I will have to do some personal investigation.

jakecattleco and sharpski like this.
  13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,078) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Launch pad has been killing it lately. Ratio has been on my radar as well. Probably time to check them out...

sharpski likes this.
  14. turfy

turfy Disciple (330) Mar 17, 2010 Texas
    Trader

Hey! I've had TWO of the winning beers!!

15. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,850) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Historically, in categories where they have awarded one or two of the three available medals, they have awarded these in any combination (Gold, Silver or Bronze), as well as the three possible two medal combinations (G + S, G + B, or S + B). Based on their criteria, the judges indicated that it either varied slightly from the style parameters and or has minor defects.

https://www.worldbeercup.org/about/award-criteria-judging/

Odd because this is Allagash White we are talking about, and this beer previously won gold in 1998, 2010, 2012 and Silver in 2004 (and Bronze in 2002). Perhaps they got a slightly off batch, just seems odd Allagash White was not good enough for a Gold or Silver in the category they have dominated.

16. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

And, I have FB friends that were judges for this (although I don't know if any of them were on the Wit panels), and some, for lack of a better term, amazement has been expressed that Allagash White, is one of the exemplars the guides give as an example to define the style. Is it Judge Lotto? An off year? Batch variation? We don't know.

Every beer that's entered gets the tasting notes from the judges back (from each round), and the breweries find out what the judges found right and wrong.

This feedback is why a lot of breweries enter these things: they may or may not care about winning the award, but getting clear, clean, blind, unbiased feedback on their beers is well worth the dollars spent in entering each beer.

John_M, sharpski, patto1ro and 3 others like this.
  17. patto1ro

patto1ro Defender (600) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

Or those beers could have had obvious faults: oxidised, DMS, diacytel, infectedetc. A beer with a fault isn't going to win a medal no matter how true to style it is.

18. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Poo-Bah (1,784) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Right, in which case the brewery messed up.

JackHorzempa and PapaGoose03 like this.
  19. mmmthmtskier

mmmthmtskier Initiate (16) Jun 13, 2010 California

Happy to see Pizza Port get recognized: Their beers are a great value and, IMHO, been underrated. SlicenPint deal is awesome! Love their Carlsbad location!

GetMeAnIPA and ChicagoJ like this.
  20. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,416) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

Wow, I am missing out on a lot of good beers - nearly everyone is not available where I am.

Jasonja1474 and ChicagoJ like this.
  21. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Aspirant (210) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

[​IMG] Knoxville Tennessee is on the Board!!!
    Go Xül your killing it.

Beer_Economicus and ChicagoJ like this.
  22. StJamesGate

StJamesGate Poo-Bah (5,015) Oct 8, 2007 New York
    Society

Allagash are Belgian purists - how many other US breweries have the restraint to do witbier the "correct" way: low hops, creamy yet dry, subtle coriander + orange peel, and very lightly tart?

I'd expect someone like St Bernardus to place well; maybe they didn't enter...

Rug, Squire and ChicagoJ like this.
  23. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,617) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Well, that was indeed the case for Celis Witbier 'back in the day'.

Christine Celis is continuing her father's tradition in Austin. I have not had the fortune to taste the present day beer.

I just visited the website to 'discover' they have over a dozen beer brands on tap at the taproom:

https://www.celisbeers.com/copy-of-core-beers-1

Cheers!

P.S. No way of knowing if Celis submitted a beer to the competition.

PapaGoose03 and ChicagoJ like this.
  24. Munimortal

Munimortal Initiate (32) Sep 13, 2018 Oregon
    Trader

The 2022 WBC had no Gold or Silver medals in Category 68: Belgian-Style Witbier despite having 102 Entries. Were really 101 beers so bad as to not medal or were they outside of style guidelines and disqualified?

25. Resistance88

Resistance88 Zealot (515) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

26. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,270) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

The final Judges table for this category probably had 9 samples to evaluate, and had been instructed to trust that the Judges in the preliminary and mid rounds had done their jobs advancing the best entries from those flights. It’s unusual, but the organizers have to trust that those 5 trained people came to that consensus for a reason.

PapaGoose03 and BBThunderbolt like this.
  27. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,903) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Several years back we stopped in and had a Celis White. I was reminded as to how good it used to be, as a beer that exemplifies the style.

28. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,903) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Right. Show your work.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  29. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,498) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I was Happy to see Union out of Baltimore took home silver for their “Blackwing” Scwartzbier. It’s solid.

30. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,498) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Allagash won gold for their Tripel. Personally, I’ve never been a huge fan of their take on a Belgian Tripel but to each their own I guess. Their White should have won gold again, that was just weird how they didn’t give our gold or silver for that category.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  31. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,617) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Another article about the WBC – Witbier ‘controversy’ (see link below).

One extract from the article:

“In my expert opinion, Allagash White is a fantastic beer and is truly an exemplar of the style, but if you’ve got people from different countries who don’t have the same exposure to Allagash White, we can’t escape those biases,” Blair explains. “As judges, we try to be as objective as possible, but we’re not lab instruments.”

Yes, beer judges are people and not “lab instruments”.

Cheers!

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sig...-the-worlds-best-witbier-is-only-worth-bronze

32. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

At least he didn't say lab rats.

PapaGoose03 and JackHorzempa like this.
  33. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (485) Mar 5, 2014 New York

Well not sure why I haven't tried Industrial Arts Metric. Would be happy to find a local Pils to keep on hand. Will have to fix that

Beer_Economicus and ChicagoJ like this.