2yr hop experiment pg 3

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Thickfreakness, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thickfreakness

Thickfreakness Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2010 New York

Southern Tier 2XIPA - original review 1/25/11 4.6 rating
    Before they had bottle dating (pretty sure it was the same batch)
    A- Pours a semi-cloudy honey yellow into my DFH glass. A somewhat thin head fades rather quickly and leaves little bits of lacing and really nice oily legs. 4.0
    S- Honey, dripping sweet caramel, juicy fresh cut pineapple, day old cut grass, pine sap, tangerine, subtle touches of yellow grapefruit, and warm brown sugar. This is fantastic!!! I could sit and smell this all day! This is exactly what I was hoping for when I started this experiment. This one really changed, but in a fantastic way! 4.75
    T- Sweet honey and caramel covered orange slices. Subtle citrus pop that melds beautifully with the caramel/honey/brown sugar sweetness. Nice wet grass yeastiness. I love the way it weaves between bitter citrus/pine and caramel candy. 4.25
    M- Not a great deal of carbonation, although I really love how it glides down your tongue gripping on like a nice English Barleywine. I wasn’t expecting that at all. Still a really nice dose of citrus bitterness that melds perfectly with the honey sweetness. 4.5
    O- I may have to buy this by the case and put some age on it. Out of the six that I aged, I didn’t have really high hopes for this one. It’s fantastic IMHO. Bitter, sweet, citrus, no trace of booze at all. If it had just a touch more carbonation, it would be unreal!!! 4.25

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.