3 Floyds & Mikkeller's WarPigs, "the best brewpub in the world," opens April 10, 2015

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Mar 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,555) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

News about this collaborative brewpub in Copenhagen broke last June, but here's everything you need to know about WarPigs and then some from their latest press release.

[​IMG]

--

WarPigs - The best brewpub in the world

An unorthodox collaboration across the Atlantic is opening it's doors to the public on the 10.04.2015. American brewery 3 Floyds and Danish brewery Mikkeller are teaming up to create the best brewpub in the world.

On the 10/04/15, two internationally recognized breweries are combining to open the best brewpub in the world. They are naming it WarPigs. American brewery 3 Floyds and Mikkeller from Denmark have created a love-child that serves you the best authentic Texas barbecue, American-Danish style craft beer and a completely new approach to a beer-lovers membership club.

WarPigs is located in the middle of Copenhagen's buzzing Meatpacking District.

WarPigs – 22 taps of quality and crazy
    All the beer is made freshly at WarPigs. A mix of permanent house beers and experimental guest stars.

WarPigs will present you with 22 taps of choice; 6 permanent house beers, 15 extraordinary experimental beers and 1 draft cocktail.

All beer will be made fresh, at Warpigs' custom-designed, hand-welded brewery. There will be exciting collaborations throughout the whole year when guest brewers from all around the world come by to create their own version of a WarPigs beer. There will be a small and exclusive, in-house bottle production. These bottles will only be sold at the brewpub and from the WarPigs Webshop.

Creative and weird brewers unite
    Proudly brewing "not-normal" beer, 3 Floyds is a natural flipside to the innovative "gypsy brewery" Mikkeller. Both are daring when it comes to their craft, and known for their strong personalities and clear visions.

Both breweries are known for their experimental approach to brewing.

Mikkeller is as well-known for its 'gypsy-brewing' method of outsourcing brewing to different breweries across Europe and the world, as it is for its consistently experimental style and mastery of a huge range of styles and flavors. From pale ales to sours, imperial stouts to saisons, Mikkeller is always pushing boundaries and challenging perceptions of craft beer.

3 Floyds has prided themselves on making "Not Normal" beer since 1996. Their style is uncompromising and confrontational, a message which comes across in their communication and brews. One of their specialties, 'Dark Lord' a Russian Style Imperial Stout, is strictly a limited edition brew sold on one day a year, known as 'Dark Lord Day'. They’ve recently had to introduce a ticketing system to reduce the risk of crowd trouble.

"3 Floyds is such an exciting flip-side to Mikkeller." - Jacob Gram Alsing, Operations Manager at Mikkeller explains. "When they asked us to join forces to create WarPigs it was a no-brainer."

This collaboration brings together two of the most innovative, forward-thinking, genre-defining and disruptive breweries in the craft beer industry and builds bridges across the ocean. With Head Brewer Kyle Wolak, from 3Floyds brewery in the US, implanted into the center of Mikkeller territory, the desire to push each other's ideas to the limit will birth exciting new beers that will be exclusive to the WarPigs Brewpub.

World's best yeast
    Tapping into the European market, the front-runners of yeast development, American White Labs, set up laboratory inside WarPigs.

American White Labs, widely regarded as the front-runners in yeast production, are entering the European market by setting up a lab in WarPigs. Producing yeast in-house is revolutionary when it comes to a brewpub, leaving the brew team even more power to perfect what they are putting in the tanks.

"Craft beer and brewing innovation is thriving in Europe, and the future is even brighter," said White Labs CEO Chris White."We are pleased to bring our knowledge and experience developed over many years of serving breweries, wineries and distilleries around the world into closer proximity to our important customers in Europe."

As authentic as it gets, Texas style
    With the biggest smokers in Europe, American chef Andrew Hroza is setting out to revolutionize Denmark with authentic Texan barbecue.

Another addition from the US is WarPigs' Head Chef, Le Cordon Bleu-educated Andrew Hroza.

He has catered both Hell’s Kitchen and fed Slipknot and Van Halen on tour.

With barbecue as Andrew's specialty, all the meat will be prepared in Europe’s biggest, high quality smokers that can smoke up to a ton of meat a day.

"WarPigs will add hot and smoky to the food scene in Copenhagen. With a twist, we are bringing traditional Texas BBQ which is the perfect balance of meat, smoke, and seasoning." - Andrew Hroza

WarPigs Troopers - an Army of beer lovers
    WarPigs introduces a members' only club called WarPigs Troopers, for the thirsty beer lovers who want to take their WarPigs experience to the next level.

WarPigs Troopers is a 5 rank membership club that will allow people to take their experience of WarPigs to the next level.

This will give people out-of-the-ordinary and behind-the-scenes access to WarPigs. The higher the rank, the crazier the perks.

[​IMG]

Mikkel Borg Bjergsø, founder of Mikkeller explains: "The idea with WarPigs Troopers is, to get some cool ambassadors involved, from the day we open the doors to WarPigs. Everyone who likes beer are welcome to WarPigs, but as a member you get the opportunity to shape the place and at the same time get some quite crazy perks."

For the top 4 ranks there will also be a classic mug-club, where the member’s personal numbered mug will be hanging, ready in the bar at all times.

You can choose to be a Trooper, Lieutenant, Major, Colonel or the all mighty General of the Armies.

Members will be showered with over-the-top perks such as special invites to members' only events, limited edition beer, customized merchandise and access to a number of pre-sales and top secrets. At the top is the General of the Armies. This membership has a value of 200,000 dollars and requires an application and a bid to ensure that the right person is recruited for this role. There can only be one General.

Memberships can be bought through the WarPigs WebShop
    WarPigs photos

Facebook:www.facebook.com/warpigsbrewpub
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/warpigs_brewpub
    Instagram: http://instagram.com/warpigs_brewpub_cph/

###

2. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)

Nice, now just gotta get there :grinning:

3. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,684) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Visited my daughter in Copenhagen when she was there last spring. Unfortunately didn't go to any of the Mikkellers pubs (wasn't much of a beer drinker back then). We were discussing this the other night and she sent me a photo she took of herself when she went to one. I have to say the week I was there was very enjoyable, kind of expensive, but money well spent. I will definitely need to go back now

4. 4truth

4truth Aspirant (242) Jan 30, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

ISO: explanations to family for moving to Copenhagen

5. BradenMK

BradenMK Aspirant (269) Sep 24, 2012 Alaska

The general premise and everything sounds amazing, but the WarPigs Troopers program is kind of a joke. Or is it just me? The Trooper ranking is the only one worth it, pay $100 to get a lifelong discount on their beers (or so it sounds like), which only means that their beer is significantly upcharged to begin with. The others? Pay $800 for a beer discount, a mug, a t-shirt, and invites to events where you can pay them more money for more beer? How about Major? Where you can pay them $1600 for all that, plus access to beers exclusive to your rank or higher that you can then spend even more money on?

6. NewGlarusFan

NewGlarusFan Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2013 Illinois

Nice to know that FFF has such a great demand back in the Midwest, instead of opening another brew pub in Chicago or in Michigan, expanding the brewery (not necessary in Indiana with the bs laws), they open one in Denmark. Thanks for supporting the fan boys back home.

7. StonedTrippin

StonedTrippin Poo-Bah (16,326) May 28, 2011 Colorado

2nd this, you said it man!

4truth likes this.
  8. Thorstein

Thorstein Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2014 New York

Don't you have to be open before that distinction is made? And isn't it up to independent consumers to declare your brewpub "The best in the world."

Sounds amazingly pretentious.

LeeEvolved and ONovoMexicano like this.
  9. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,684) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

yes it is, but I have to admit, bars in Copenhagen rock....

Beervana likes this.
  10. fearfactory

fearfactory Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2012 Massachusetts

News on a Black Sabbath lawsuit for trademark infringement in 3, 2, 1....

JMS1512 likes this.
  11. Todd

Todd Founder (5,555) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

Nope. Someone did their homework. And a simple TESS search shows that they filed trademarks on "WarPigs" for the appropriate classes back in October 2014.
    • IC 043. US 100 101. G & S: Brewpub services; Restaurant and bar services
    • IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: Hats; Hooded sweatshirts; Shirts; Sweatshirts; T-shirts
    • IC 032. US 045 046 048. G & S: Beer
    I think they're good.

12. epyon396

epyon396 Savant (985) Jan 12, 2014 Pennsylvania

This feels like an inevitable white whale factory.

Loganyoung and BradenMK like this.
  13. JMS1512

JMS1512 Crusader (776) Feb 18, 2013 New Jersey

All those sperm whales manufactured, and taken away from their mothers...

BradenMK likes this.
  14. kojevergas

kojevergas Poo-Bah (8,284) Aug 15, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

Another friendly reminder to American website members that the Shelton Bastards are to blame for the high pricing of Mikkeller beers in the U.S., not Mikkel. This is a common mistake...

tokimedo likes this.
  15. Knobs303

Knobs303 Aspirant (263) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado

Shelton Bros., or Bastards as you called them, are to Blame for a lot of Wrongs in the Craft Beer World.

tokimedo and Keffa like this.
  16. are_doubleyou

are_doubleyou Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2014 Illinois

This sounds great, but I can't help feeling stung a bit by this. I live so close to 3 Floyds without receiving distribution and seeing them go to Denmark before downstate Illinois? Ouch.

I live right next to the University of Illinois. We would buy out any 3 Floyds shipments in hours. Binny's wouldn't even have to do anything. Just set the shipment right inside the front door and the pallet would be empty in a couple hours. Minutes if it is 6 packs of Zombie Dust and IPA bombers. We have Revolution now, but still no 3F. :slight_frown:

17. Redneckwine

Redneckwine Disciple (304) Dec 3, 2013 Washington

While this project doesn't affect me in the least, the name definitely gets my seal of approval. Black Sabbath is fucking legendary.

18. ajitv1

ajitv1 Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2015 California

I agree - totally pretentious, ya gotta earn "best brewpub" ... they should screw the gimmicks, shut up, and make beer !!

19. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

I think it's annoying that they would expand to Europe before expanding within the US.

NewGlarusFan likes this.
  20. Kaz_DemonKnight

Kaz_DemonKnight Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2014 Illinois

I unterstand why everyone is frustertaed about them expanding overseas and not in the USA. But from the press release and what I have been reading, it does not seem like they will have any FFF American brewed beers their. Although Im not sating that wont happen. That could change once the place opens up. Either way, I love me some FFF.

21. Ruger

Ruger Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2010 Kentucky

Ugh I live in one of FFF few distribution states and still have been looking for Gumball Head and Zombie Dust for almost 5 years....

22. teddibrewski

teddibrewski Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2015 United Kingdom (England)

I visited the mikellar brew pub in copenhagen twice while i was there in february this year and they had three to four of FFF brews on draft. I tried permanent funeral(it was great). Im assuming they're going to have FFF beer served at their new place too, but maybe it will be different. I love every FFF beer ive tried but the limited supply leads them to be a little overhyped and i think thats kinda the point

23. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Savant (951) Mar 23, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

Not sure what the criteria for being the General is, but I would find it hard to believe that anyone able to throw down $200,000 would have the time or wherewithal to devote their life to the brand. Hopefully they find the right retired rich person!

24. largadeer

largadeer Poo-Bah (3,526) Sep 24, 2006 California

That was a painful read. These guys are trying way too hard to be edgy.

25. DrinktotheDead

DrinktotheDead Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2014 Michigan

"It will also feature a large pool of sharks, that will be jumped by Arthur Fonzarelli."

26. NewGlarusFan

Fair enough, I'm not a big fan of FFF but the demand in Illinois is nuts.

FlandersNed likes this.
  27. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

And they know if they keep it in Munster and the surrounding areas people will go crazier for it. It stops being "special" once it expands. Like many other breweries they thrive on hype.

almostjay and NewGlarusFan like this.
  28. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (6,906) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Such a great city for beer drinking and buying... just not cheap... :slight_frown:

29. TankerSteve

TankerSteve Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2014 Washington

This. I believe FFF has no intention of bringing good beer to it's fans or expanding it's distribution area. Some people would say "why should they if they are doing good enough business as it is?" Well, that's a good point, if they don't care about people enjoying their beer as much as they care about being exclusive and elite. There beer is good. But this is obnoxious to say the least. I may get some hate for this, but after seeing this, I honestly feel that the owners of FFF are tools.

NewGlarusFan likes this.
  30. TheBeerBro

TheBeerBro Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2013 Iowa

Why do I hate everything about FFF (but the beer)?

almostjay likes this.
  31. G_Z_a

G_Z_a Initiate (121) Feb 2, 2015 Oregon

Went to the Mikkeler pub in San Francisco a few months back. The selection was impressive, but very expensive. My parents visited one of the pubs in Copenhagen a few years ago and said the same thing. The prices at this place will be through the roof I'm guessing. Def catering to a certain kind of beer drinker. Basically the uber rich.

I will say that Copenhagen is a pretty nice place and between Noma, Mikkeller and now Warpigs, has really turned into a culinary/drinking destination. Hung out in Christiania several years ago and watched some of the World Cup there. Good times.

32. Kaz_DemonKnight

Kaz_DemonKnight Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2014 Illinois

I didn't know that they even had anything on tap overseas. Well FFF is expanding this year. I heard a new bottling line is in order and will apparently let them bottle more beer. So here's to hoping that it will become more widely available in their distribution areas. A lot of people seem to get upset with FFF being hard to find and lack of distribution. But it's not like Russian River and The Alchemist are easy to come by either. You basically have to know when the shipments of Heady Topper is come in or you are not getting anything.

33. LakerLeith

LakerLeith Zealot (549) Aug 11, 2013 California
    Trader

only $200,000 for the 'top rank' membership? Sure, why not!

(Why not? Because this is rediculous.)

NewGlarusFan likes this.
  34. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (478) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

That is the estimated value, not the cost. Read the article again.

35. NewGlarusFan

Sir, you have said it best. They feel that are superior and elitist. At tasting they bring ZD and it goes quick. They brag how fast it went but fail to say it was a 1/6 barrel keg. D-Bags. I'll drive the extra 45 minutes to Greenbush instead of waiting in line or my car for an hour at FFF.

36. jlsims04

Trader

It's hard enough to get their stuff in the 'burbs. I feel your pain after going to school in Normal but they need to get a steady supply to the Chicago land area before down state.

37. jlsims04

Trader

Just buy 80 Acre from Boulevard. Better than Gumball Head IMO

38. leantom

leantom Champion (870) Nov 20, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

You'd think that FFF would spend its money on expanding production. Oh well, thankfully I live in Indiana.

39. Warren2621

Warren2621 Zealot (567) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

Ive never seen so many people (not just on this site, but in general) take a brewery's decisions so personal. The founder of 3 Floyds is from Ukraine, not the US. Im sure he has a great interest in putting a pub overseas. Its their business; they arent obligated to cater to a region.

I dont get Firestone Walker or Ballast Point in Indiana and I'd love to, but I dont want to chase the guys down with pitchforks either.

Smakawhat likes this.
  40. rolltide8425

rolltide8425 Meyvn (1,244) Feb 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Good thing I'm planning to be in Copenhagen next summer; will definitely have to check this place out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.