3 Floyds permanently closing Munster brewpub

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by brewme, May 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Devotee (402) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

“Exploding with tartness...” Yeah, I’m going to sit this one out. I’ll enjoy some Center Square though.

2. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (349) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Hah! I was just reading this too. I wouldn't be surprised if they were bought out.

kodt and FBarber like this.
  3. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,408) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

But why? They are in very few states and banks were bending over backwards to give them cheap capital pre pandemic according to newspapers. Take the cheap debt, expand, expand, expand, then sell.

PhilBallins and Sabtos like this.
  4. YoungLad

YoungLad Initiate (152) Apr 27, 2009 Indiana

They are pushing hard into the eastern seaboard, New York, Philadelphia, etc. They have expanded their footprint substantially over the past two years. And people seem to forget that the already have two different production facilities; one it the original (which is where they bottle) and one just around the corner on 45th (where they can).

Not sure about cheap debt; I think the expansion plan was grandiose, and cooler heads prevailed - why borrow that much capital, when the return is what? The plan for the new brewpub was glorious, but methinks that Floyds realized that they had missed the wave, and they would be throwing money after a market that had already moved on to the next big thing.

(Read: Orange/mint exploding slushies with a 2.3% abv - who knew?)

ovaltine, ChicagoJ, woemad and 2 others like this.
  5. JFresh21

Trader

The additional markets could be priced into the deal. These regional breweries are in a tough spot. It's easy to lose the cool factor and end up sitting on shelves.

6. mbockstruck30

Trader

You all realize that FFF has gotten to this point without ever spending one dollar on marketing. What makes you think they have desire (or need) to sell?

7. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,587) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Exactly.

FFF is ooooold craft beer money. If they wanted to sell they probably could have done it 30x over by now.

Don't ya'll think they would have had hundreds of offers at this point? They've probably flipped off ABINBEV and its ilk so many times they don't get offers anymore out of spite or fear.

JLA1221, ChicagoJ, kodt and 6 others like this.
  8. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

Nick seems to be able to follow his whims and earn a good living and then has a nest egg (the brewery) he can cash out of whenever he wants to retire. It isn't like he is a 65 year old man who is being pushed out of the work force and needs quick cash. By the same token, the fun for some people is building the business- if he wanted to he could cash out FFF and focus solely on scaling War Pigs into an international BrewDog type business.

9. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Disciple (346) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I respect that they've run it themselves for so long and didn't sell out like the Lagunitas guy did. It's one of the things I appreciate about them, I hope they never sell.

Some people forget it's not just about money, they've put their lives into this and don't want to see someone else tarnish everything they've been working on.

Junior, ChicagoJ, emerge077 and 4 others like this.
  10. YoungLad

That's exactly what the distillery was - something different to do, and a separate entity from the breweries.

11. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

I thought it was a cash grab.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  12. YoungLad

I know from talking with people that worked at the brewpub that the bartenders and waitstaff that went to work in the distillery when it opened weren't making any money, because the place was almost always empty. That place was losing a ton. Too bad, as it's a beautiful room...

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  13. JFresh21

Trader

Empty? Was the distillery ever open for patrons?

14. Shriner

Shriner Initiate (95) Mar 29, 2017 Illinois

Absolutely. Very nice place and drinks were excellent.

15. YoungLad

As was said, yes, they were open for business, but the few times I went there, it was empty. But what a space - the moss wall (or whatever it's called) and the light fixtures in and of themselves are worth a trip. I had heard a rumor that they might reopen the brewpub in the distillery, but as a mix of the two, but that never materialized (evidently). As always, no one really knows....

BeerPrince22 likes this.
  16. JFresh21

Trader

Wow news to me. How was the bourbon?

17. YoungLad

Most everything they offered was clear - rum, gin, akvavit, white whiskey. I'm guessing that they have stuff in barrels ageing but they were so young in the process at that time that they weren't available.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  18. ericfoster83

ericfoster83 Initiate (125) Sep 16, 2010 Indiana

I used to frequent the place. As their whiskey aged they’d occasionally offer 9-month and 12-month pours. Cool spot, was looking forward to watching them grow as their barrels aged. Hopefully they’ll reopen when the pandemic is under control.

ChicagoJ and YoungLad like this.
  19. FlaviusG

FlaviusG Initiate (156) Aug 15, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

I tried Blurple Gatti last night I agree with others it’s basically a barleywine but pretty good

PhilBallins likes this.
  20. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

they may have better luck coming
    Out with NWI pricing rather than relying on brand hype. $60 for a bottle of craft spirits in NWI is steep. Three Floyd’s always offered quality beer and good prices at the brewpub. There was no value in how they priced their cocktails.

ChicagoJ, JFresh21 and YoungLad like this.
  21. YoungLad

Yes, I think this is true.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  22. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,876) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I don't think I missed it, but I don't believe fff released a 2021 regular Behemoth yet. I feel like the release is usually in January. Should I assume this is the year that the vertical ends?

23. mbockstruck30

Trader

Or maybe this is officially the year where they start only releasing BA versions of their stouts/barleywines!

ChicagoJ, Sabtos and JohnnyHopps like this.
  24. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

If that includes only BA Dark Lords, count me in.

25. kodt

kodt Defender (666) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Did a little TTB snooping and found a new beer (I think this was draft only before):

[​IMG]

Also it appears that Apocalypse Cow will be coming back in 12oz bottles & 16oz cans. And also Cheer Team Ale was approved for 12oz bottles & 16oz cans.

26. BillMueller

BillMueller Initiate (101) Nov 27, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

Cheer Team, like ZD, has become a shell of its former self sadly.

PhilBallins, Cruiser and ChicagoJ like this.
  27. ajcuster89

ajcuster89 Aspirant (206) Apr 14, 2014 Vermont
    Trader

Went to three different stores last night and every pack of ZD was warm and at least 3 months old. WTF man....

ChicagoJ and eppie82 like this.
  28. eppie82

eppie82 Poo-Bah (1,778) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

The times they are a-changin'.

29. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer Aspirant (235) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

That sucks because that’s a beer that after about 3-4 weeks changes and not for the better. Still an awesome brew fresh.

mbockstruck30 and ChicagoJ like this.
  30. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,727) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Great Day! Three Floyds posted on Instagram about an hour ago that the Kiosk is open. That should get us some fresh Zombie Dust, et al.

31. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

So...brewpub & DLD may be that much closer.

ChicagoJ, PapaGoose03 and toolbrew like this.
  32. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (448) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

I miss the old ZD from prior to 2015. Had a Modern Times Fortunate Islands tonight (just starting arriving on MN shelves this week) and I was immediately brought back to "vintage" ZD.

33. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

It just occurred to me that on the original scheduling format, this Saturday would be Dark Lord day. It will be 52° in a 90% chance of rain. Who is up for an unsanctioned bottle share in the parking lot of 3 Floyds?

Junior, Sabtos, mbockstruck30 and 3 others like this.
  34. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

The police?

Junior, mbockstruck30 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  35. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

Synchronicity was a great album.

36. BeerDes

BeerDes Initiate (77) Dec 8, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone get a hold of any of the fresh ZD from the kiosk? Curious how it was.

37. HopHunterCL

HopHunterCL Aspirant (220) Mar 23, 2021 Ohio
    Trader

I get fresh Zombie Dust here in Cincinnati. Got some last week canned 4/1. I never had it prior to about a year ago so I can’t comment on how it tasted before but the ones I’ve got now are pretty darn good.

38. darktronica

darktronica Poo-Bah (3,004) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

So it's three weeks old? I'm sorry.

39. cookiequiz

cookiequiz Aspirant (249) Apr 15, 2013 California

I miss the pub.

:confused:

40. Junior

Junior Champion (853) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

3 Floyd’s is going to start distribution in Michigan this month. I hope the ZD is fresh.

PapaGoose03 and Chaz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.