3 Floyds Severs Warpigs Partnership with Mikkeller

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,510) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sig...yds-severs-warpigs-partnership-with-mikkeller

Related: Breweries Withdraw from Mikkeller Festival in Response to Sexual Harassment Allegations

Roguer, ChicagoJ and Rug like this.
  2. Rug

Rug Meyvn (1,352) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Good on 3 Floyds for not wanting to work with those shitheads

3. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (7,344) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Moderator Society

It would be interesting to find out of this had been in the making for a while or if it was more of a kneejerk reaction from 3F. It would be such a shame for Mikkeller, who have done great things for beer in Europe, to fall down because of this kind of abbhorrent behavior. I don't understand humans sometimes. No, make that often.

4. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,317) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Who the !@#$ names a brewery and a beer brand "WarPigs"? I mean, yeah, I'm aware of the song (but don't know if could tell it from any other Black Sabbath* song) but still, there's no other heavy metal imagery that is slightly positive you might want to represent your company and your product? Would a Dylan fan name their beer "Masters of War", would a Barry McGuire fan (are there any?) call their brewery "The Eve of Destruction" ?

* I actually saw BS around 1970 - for about 5 minutes - about twice as long as it took for me to walk from my dorm to the auditorium where the free concert was going on and then turn around and go back to my room. I think my ears are still ringing...

Roguer, WCKDVBZ, champ103 and 3 others like this.
  5. BigIronH

BigIronH Savant (956) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

What would you name your brewery JK? Any favorite artists in mind?:wink:

6. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,317) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well, while it is true that, in general, one can't trademark titles of songs or books, etc., what one person (usually out to make a profit) might see as a tribute or in honor of a work of art, etc., it's a sort of theft in my eyes, no matter how clever or done (supposedly) out of reverence or respect. Granted, in this era of "free" internet music and bootleg book reprints and plagiarizing websites, that is seen by many as a kind of quaint attitude.

7. Todd

Todd Founder (6,510) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

FYI: I've renamed the existing WarPigs Brewpub entry as WarPigs Brewpub Copenhagen, and added WarPigs Brewing USA. I've moved over a bunch of beers too, but please report any other beers unique to the USA brewery that need moving.

8. Leighton_

Leighton_ Initiate (40) Jan 31, 2021 Minnesota
    Trader

Well it's better than dressing your beer up with a colorful label with some mountain range in the background and pretending like it isn't the same alcohol that's responsible for millions of deaths annually because you stuck the word 'craft' in front of it and made it a hobby. Not to say that Warpigs isn't doing the same thing for the punk crowd who wants a 'badass' beer with their occult imagery, jet black can, etc, but the positivity thing seems like a strange hill to die on.

I just don't think 'positivity' in branding means a damn thing when we're drinking solvents for fun and doing little if anything to support the negative impacts of our industry, of course that's more a fault of capitalism than the result of any brewers negligence, like you certainly aren't going to make money with the motto 'only consume our products a little bit so you don't go full alcoholic'.

I'll just gloss over the last paragraph so I don't have to rant about your taste in music being bad.

Rug, cg123 and JamFuel like this.
  9. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (5,192) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Right? I never got the whole thing about metal, or really any music as a basis for beer names and branding. I'm a huge Miles guy of coarse, I know there was the one Dogfish Head Bitches Brew, but I wouldn't go that route, let alone something like Live-Evil or On the Corner (well maybe that one, but not as a direct Miles reference, maybe if I had a brewpub that resembled an old fashioned corner bar).

10. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,905) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Really? It seems like they go hand in hand for me. Neither beer nor music is a necessity in my life, but I enjoy them both to the nth degree and feel they compliment each other.

Pretty sure punk and occult are not synonymous. I'm also pretty sure that capitalism is not to blame for man's tendency towards excess. It's not like as if an economic system based on bartering would somehow lead to a decline in alcohol consumption.

Rug, BigIronH and SP23 like this.
  11. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (5,192) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Its low hanging fruit and not that original. There was a period around me when every new brewery was "the most metal brewery" whatever that means?

12. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,093) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Gee, a metal-themed brewery, whose taproom was notoriously loud and unwelcoming (not to mention staffed with rude, condescending, and holier-than-thou metalheads) teams up with a punk themed brewery, notorious for outlandish things, and the only thing that breaks them up is public backlash for being punks and bangers. Huh. Never woulda saw that coming.

Also, I didn't even know this thing was a thing until now. Shrug.

13. Leighton_

Leighton_ Initiate (40) Jan 31, 2021 Minnesota
    Trader

Tendency for excess? of course not. A culture of excess? Absolutely. In a society that didn't rely on capital for every function of the market I think we'd see a much more cautious and measured approach instead of one that simply feeds our base instincts for 'more more more'.

Under a capitalist society if a brewery is serious about pushing for responsible consumption and reducing it's negative impact on it's customers that always equates to reduced profits, especially when you consider the buying habits that accompany any addictive substance. Reduced profits in competitive markets is generally a tendency that leads to not being in business anymore, a kind of survival of the fittest if you will, where the least sociably responsible do the best.

There are of course exceptions to this, the hobbyism of craft beer genuinely has made a difference compared to the greater liquor industry and I truly think that most brewers have good intentions at heart. But Craft beer is a relative a microcosm of the industry and that status has been reinforced by shying away from the culture of excess that the aforementioned 'greater liquor industry' promotes so aggressively. There's a reason that in this pandemic where more people are imbibing than ever that craft beer has seen a decline, focusing on quality of ingredients and the experience instead of just a means to getting drunk as cheaply as possible.

14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,160) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Shouldn't the heavy metal of craft brewing be Stainless Steel!?!

[​IMG]

Rug, jonphisher, Squire and 1 other person like this.
  15. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,905) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I stopped reading when you stated it's man's base instinct to consume. It is our inherent nature to consume to excess. You literally just agreed with that.

BigIronH likes this.
  16. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,758) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I’m generally all for tangential conversations in BA threads, but most dudes unwillingness to engage with the overarching point — the new accountability around sexism and working conditions in the beer world — definitely points to something. It often seems like almost the only people on this site willing to talk about sexism are the most rapid misogynists.

17. MattOC

MattOC Zealot (531) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Certainly the fastest to talk about it.

(I figure you meant rabid)

carolinabeerguy and thebeers like this.
  18. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,654) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

To me it means they're more interested in image than simply making good beer.

champ103 likes this.
  19. Squire

Society Trader

And now having read about it I will soon forget about it.

20. Squire

Society Trader

This is music to my eyes.