3rd Annual 12 Brewers of Christmas @ Meadhall

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Jason, Nov 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,354) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Society

Event on 12/18
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/events/info/70199/

Tappenings starting 12/07
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/events/info/70205/

"12 Brewers of Christmas", a collaborative fund-raising effort for Toys for Tots through an epic beer event, returns for the third year. Meadhall in Kendall Square will generously turn over their 110 taps to 12 breweries for the evening with 100% of the proceeds donated to Toys for Tots. A variety of silent auction items ranging from rare bottled beer to "brewers baskets" to donations from local industry members will be available to all attendees, with all proceeds from the auctions donated to Toys for Tots. To cap it off, 10 extremely rare or "1-time only" releases from the breweries will also be available on the mezzanine level. We are asking for a donation of either $10 (more if you're inclined) at the door. Brand new, unwrapped toys are also welcome.

In the 12 days leading up to the event beginning 12/7, Meadhall will also tap 1 keg each day from the participating breweries with 100% of the proceeds from that keg donated to Toys for Tots. The fundraising culminates on 12/18 when we all descend on Meadhall to raise as much money as possible for this wonderful charity.

Participating breweries: Allagash, Boulevard/Ommegang, Dogfish Head, Founders Green Flash, Jack's Abby, Lagunitas, Left Hand, Oskar Blues, Sierra Nevada, Smuttynose & Tröegs.

Draft line-up will be posted soon.

braineater likes this.
  2. benbking

benbking Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island

This has always been a good time, need to figure out if we can attend this year.

3. Janeinma

Janeinma Devotee (438) May 24, 2009 Massachusetts

any further information about this? Meadhall has a poster which suggest it started on 12/1. which I don't think happened.

4. BumpkinBrewer

BumpkinBrewer Disciple (329) Jan 6, 2010 Massachusetts

According to the Ad banner it starts on the 6th with Allagash.

5. MarkF150

MarkF150 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2009 Massachusetts

But if you go to Allagashs website it shows they will be there on the 8th

6. Jason

Jason Founder (8,354) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Society

I sent them an email for updates, hoping to hear back today as I want to swing by a few times depending on what beers are tapped before the 18th.

7. greenmtn1111

greenmtn1111 Initiate (0) May 15, 2009 Massachusetts

I can't believe Meadhall still doesn't have a website...it's been "coming soon" for years. Completely ridiculous in this day and age.

jlordi12, Boomblaze, AdamsDTD and 4 others like this.
  8. Janeinma

I am just hoping praying and pining for Evora by Allagash, heresy I want it more than their coolships :flushed:

9. braineater

braineater Initiate (42) Dec 24, 2005 Massachusetts

Hey, folks. 12 Brewers of Christmas officially kicks off this Saturday. Each day from the 6th through the 17th we'll be tapping a keg donated by one of the participating breweries. This is will be our "Tots Beer" of the day, and the proceeds from the sale of these beers will be part to our eventual donation to Toys for Tots. Come join us for a pint each day and help us kick these kegs--it's for the kids!

These are the donated kegs that we'll be pouring leading up to the main event:

Dec. 6th - Allagash Saison
    Dec. 7th - Dogfish Head 60 Minnute IPA
    Dec. 8th - Boulevard 80-Acre Hoppy Wheat
    Dec. 9th - Founders All Day IPA
    Dec. 10th - Green Flash West Coast IPA
    Dec. 11th - Jack's Abby Hoponius Union
    Dec. 12th - Lagunitas IPA
    Dec. 13th - Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout
    Dec. 14th - Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale
    Dec. 15th - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    Dec. 16th - Smuttynose Finestkind IPA
    Dec. 17th - Tröegs DreamWeaver

On the evening of Thursday, December 18th we divide all 100 taps on our main bar between the twelve participating breweries. The list is 98% complete. I've spent much of this week hashing out the final details of the list for this night, and I can promise you that this isn't an event you should miss. Some highlights from the main bar will include Allagash Midnight Brett, vintage Dogfish Head 120 Minute, Founders KBS, Green Flash Special Cuvee Trippel, Jack's Abby Cherry Barrel-Aged Berliner Braun, Lagunitas Extra Double Dry-Hopped New Dogtown Pale Ale, Left Hand Oak-Aged Wake Up Dead, Ommegang Barrel-Aged Adoration, Oskar Blues / BrewDog Shipwrecker Circus, Sierra Nevada Barrel-Aged Torpedo, Smuttynose Grisette, and a three year vertical of Tröegs Mad Elf.

The real treats are to be found on our mezzanine bar. We'll be tapping ten extremely rare beers, and these are always the first kegs to kick. Come up to grab a beer and bid on the silent auction items, including gift baskets from each brewery, a Brewers Basket of rare bottles, and other higher ticket items (bike jerseys, skis, neons, etc). All proceeds from the silent auction go to Toys for Tots, naturally, so bid high and check the bidding sheets often.

As for the list for the mezz bar... well, you'll just have to wait until we post the final list here in the next few days. I will however mention that it does include Allagash Evora.

fsckewe, Janeinma and F2brewers like this.
  10. braineater

That's the final list, assuming all of the kegs show up. We have a good number of them in house already. I did drop the Left Hand Polestar Pils in favor of a keg of their Pro-Am Jalapeno Cream Ale. Polestar's a great beer, but I didn't think anyone would mind the substitution.

fsckewe likes this.
  11. GiantCogs

GiantCogs Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2012 Massachusetts

Hot shit! So many beers I want to try. Are you only doing full pours (10/12/16oz)?

12. braineater

We're doing a large pour (pint-ish, depends on the brewery glassware) on most of the everyday beers, and a 10oz pour on the stronger/pricier stuff.

fsckewe likes this.
  13. braineater

I just received word that we will not be receiving a keg of Allagash Midnight Brett for the event. Instead they're sending us a keg a Currant Affair, which has not previously been poured in MA.

14. Mikeluzzjr

Mikeluzzjr Devotee (437) Apr 26, 2012 Massachusetts

No chance of samples or flights still?

15. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (470) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

Wow, what a list

braineater likes this.
  16. braineater

We do not offer flights, but the bar staff will be happy to get you tastes of any draft beer.

17. fsckewe

fsckewe Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2013 Ohio

Guessing the mezzanine taps will be the 18th?

18. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (229) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Awesome, awesome list. I have an office holiday party that night, otherwise I'd be there. Is this the only CBS keg in the area?

19. BumpkinBrewer

Where on the list does it say CBS? I only see Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS) on that list.

20. Justin42

Trader

On the mezzanine list (bottom right).

21. BumpkinBrewer

Thanks!

22. Janeinma

oh boy count me in for this sounds AMAZING.

23. thegoon55

thegoon55 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2012 Massachusetts

Edit- I must sound like a noob. Do all the tappings happen at once or is this a all day affair?

#23 thegoon55, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  24. MattOC

MattOC Crusader (701) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

@thegoon55

The 18th (Thursday) and yes the 18th as well.

25. braineater

We're open until 1 AM, so you could come by after your office party. My understanding is that this is the first CBS keg in the area, but more will be coming.

Edit: That said, the mezzanine kegs are usually the first to go. I know we kicked the log of Allagash Broken Elevator very early in the evening last year.

26. Justin42

Trader

I doubt I can make it over from Boston after my event, and even if I could I am sure I'd be there long after the CBS keg kicked! Next time....

27. GiantCogs

GiantCogs Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2012 Massachusetts

What time does the event on the 18th start? This info may be here, but I can't find it.

28. MattOC

MattOC Crusader (701) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

29. jtads122

jtads122 Disciple (357) Feb 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I've never been to this event before. Is there usually a line to get in at 5? I would assume it's going to be really crowded with the amount of fantastic brews on the list.

30. braineater

I don't recall their being a line last year, with the possible exception of a small queue of people paying at the door. We're open at 11:30 AM that day, so some people will surely start camping out at the bar early, maybe having a quick bite to build a base for the evening. It will be definitely be pretty crowded come 6 PM.

31. benbking

benbking Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island

i didn't go last year. 2 years ago, we got right in around 5:30ish. Eventually we scored a table and we didn't give it up, kept ordering apps. Had a lot of fun. Hope to repeat the experience this year.

32. braineater

Another small update to the beer list. Boulevard Nutcracker draft didn't make it, so we'll be pouring a keg of Harvest Dance in it's place.

33. Justin42

Trader

When do the mezzanine kegs get tapped? I'm toying with the idea of stopping by before my other engagement. Thank you!

34. braineater

The mezz beers will be tapped at 5 PM when we officially start the event.

35. geoffj

geoffj Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2010 Massachusetts

Does one need to be up on the mezz to order those beers? And if so, how nutso is it usually when that gets rolling, vs the main floor?

36. braineater

Yes, the beers on the mezzanine are only available to order through that bar. We're anticipating a pretty significant turnout.

37. pehodges

pehodges Initiate (95) May 25, 2013 Massachusetts

Can you clarify if the Allagash Evora or Currant Affair will be on the mezzanine? Evora was scheduled to be on the mezz and Midnight Brett in the main bar. After the Currant Affair was swapped in, the BA Event list now put it on the mezz.

38. braineater

Evora will be on the main bar. Currant Affair will be on the mezzanine. I made the switch when I found out we would be getting Currant Affair instead of Midnight Brett.

39. pehodges

pehodges Initiate (95) May 25, 2013 Massachusetts

Will the event beers at the main bar (ie Evora) also be tapped at 5PM or will they be on from opening?

Mikeluzzjr likes this.
  40. Janeinma

and if Evora is on when you open how is your wifi for people working from your bar in the afternoon :grinning:

Mikeluzzjr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.